[Q] External Battery

Search This thread

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
This question -- how many more hours, is how I look at the value of external batteries. Sure, you might be stranded somewhere and have 2-3 hours or more to recharge your Nook with an external battery, but a much more important factor for me is how long I can extend the battery life of my Nook with an external battery. As I wrote in a similar thread some time ago, I bought an Energizer XP2000 for about $35 at an OfficeMax (they're widely available). 2000 mAh capacity, weighs about 2oz, comes with its own cord with six different ends for different devices. I plugged it into my fully-charged Nook at 10,000 ft flying out of Seattle, watched non-stop video at 70% brightness in Airplane Mode for nearly five hours to Baltimore and still had 58% battery left on my Nook (the Energizer was discharged).

Starting years ago with PDAs my strategy on trips was to use external batteries right from the start so when I got where I was going I didn't have a dead phone or PDA. If I have no other choices, at the end of a trip I want my external battery to be dead, not my internal.

+1 I did the same thing with my original ipod touch. I bought Just Wireless SKU 10047 at Target on clearance awhile back. It says Output 5V=1A. Does anyone have any experience with how long this one will last playing back videos and what Battery level the nook will be at if it starts at 100? I have the 4 LED's full charge and can connect it to my nook with its micro usb connection. Just have not tried to drain it yet?

Last edited:

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
+1 I did the same thing with my original ipod touch. I bought Just Wireless SKU 10047 at Target on clearance awhile back. It says Output 5V=1A. Does anyone have any experience with how long this one will last playing back videos and what Battery level the nook will be at if it starts at 100? I have the 4 LED's full charge and can connect it to my nook with its micro usb connection. Just have not tried to drain it yet?
Just a heads-up. When I searched this manufacturer and model number on Amazon the product that came up, a small device external charger, had the worst reviews I've ever seen on Amazon. Ten reviews, all from different people, over a 2 1/2 year period, every one a one-star (lowest) rating with damning commentary. Maybe I found the wrong product, maybe the reviewers are wrong, but FYI.

Reactions: lschroeder

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Isn't how many hours you can extend the internal battery ENTIRELY dependent on how you use it? With the nook off, I can extend it for days, with it playing some intense 3D games, maybe not so much. How can anyone answer the question: "How many hours can you extend the battery?"

The charger I got gave me 25% more out of Nook's internal battery. You do the math on how many more hours you can get out of it. To make it simple, if whatever you do on your flight drains your nook after 10hrs, then this will give you 2.5 more hrs. if you drain it in 5 hrs, it'll give you 1.25 more hrs.

It's like asking, how many more miles will 2 more gallons of gas give me? Well, it depends on how you drive it, and how many passengers you've got in the car.

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
Just a heads-up. When I searched this manufacturer and model number on Amazon the product that came up, a small device external charger, had the worst reviews I've ever seen on Amazon. Ten reviews, all from different people, over a 2 1/2 year period, every one a one-star (lowest) rating with damning commentary. Maybe I found the wrong product, maybe the reviewers are wrong, but FYI.

I found the same amazon reviews after I bought it. Thanks for the post. My son came home with his EVO pretty much dead and this charger allowed him to work. I subsequently recharged the Just Wirelss back to full charge. I have connected to the nook and it seems to work well, just have not had the occasion to use it to save my nook's charge. Even though the review have SKU 10047 or SKU 10047A number none of the pictures look the same as mine plus mine has 4 blue led plus button to turn on. Mine is rectangular with two ports on the base. It seems ok to me.

openallnight

Dec 4, 2010
Just got mine today. looks well built and works fine with both my evo and Nook. havent tested it to see how many times it would charge both of them over.

Although I should say i think i am going to order the extension cable. The pin on the charger is too big and it tends to bend if plugged in directly to both my devices (nook and evo). Cable will make it a lot easier to use.

Buckybuck

Dec 11, 2010
This isn't a battery (it's a fuel cell), but it does charge the Nook:

http://www.amazon.com/Medis-Xtreme-Portable-Charger-Starter/dp/B001MQD13Y

Now, I didn't get mine from Amazon and personally I wouldn't pay $21 (including shipping) for one of these. And actually, judging from a Google search I did, I think the company that makes these might be out of business.

But I found these for sale at Marshalls, of all places, for two bucks apiece. I bought five of them. Although my plan is to use them on a train trip we're going on next week, I couldn't resist trying one out. Even though it's about a year and a half past the expiration date stamped on it, the one I tried charged my Nook up in a couple of hours. After that, I also charged some of my other USB-powered devices on it, until I ran out of things to recharge, and it's still got some power left!

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Can someone please check these items of battery at 5000mah from Amazon and tell me which models would be the best for charging the Nook?
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_76_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A5000mah+external+battery%2Cp_76%3A1-&keywords=5000mah+external+battery&ie=UTF8&qid=1311860045

I cant understand what is safer for Nook in relation to power output.
For example, 1st item has 2 ports: at 500mA and at 1A. Which is better for Nook?

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Thanks Johnny.
I decided finally to order only the 5000mah battery with the 2 ports.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

dasingleton

Jan 5, 2008
Greenville (SC)
This question -- how many more hours, is how I look at the value of external batteries. Sure, you might be stranded somewhere and have 2-3 hours or more to recharge your Nook with an external battery, but a much more important factor for me is how long I can extend the battery life of my Nook with an external battery. As I wrote in a similar thread some time ago, I bought an Energizer XP2000 for about $35 at an OfficeMax (they're widely available). 2000 mAh capacity, weighs about 2oz, comes with its own cord with six different ends for different devices. I plugged it into my fully-charged Nook at 10,000 ft flying out of Seattle, watched non-stop video at 70% brightness in Airplane Mode for nearly five hours to Baltimore and still had 58% battery left on my Nook (the Energizer was discharged).

Starting years ago with PDAs my strategy on trips was to use external batteries right from the start so when I got where I was going I didn't have a dead phone or PDA. If I have no other choices, at the end of a trip I want my external battery to be dead, not my internal.

I bought the same XP2000...and it works like a champ! Thanks for the recommendation!

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
It says that the Teknet doesn't come with an AC charger. Can you use the NC AC to charge it?

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
I bought the same XP2000...and it works like a champ! Thanks for the recommendation!

XP2000 looks great. Can I assume the XP8000 would be even better? Yeah, it weighs more but is rated 8000 mAh vs 2000 for the XP2000.

While we're on the topic the XP2000 is called a "portable charger" and the XP8000 is called an "external battery". Is there really a difference?

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
It says that the Teknet doesn't come with an AC charger. Can you use the NC AC to charge it?
The particular charger uses a usb cable (that is included) to charge from a usb port.
If you ask about how to charge NC with this charger, I used original B&N cable to connect NC with this battery.

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
The particular charger uses a usb cable (that is included) to charge from a usb port.
If you ask about how to charge NC with this charger, I used original B&N cable to connect NC with this battery.

The reason I am asking is that they typical USB has a 5v 500ma output and charging a completely drained Tecknet would take about 10 hours. I am just wondering if the NC AC adapter, which is capable of 2 amp output, would charge in 1/4 the time.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
So far I didnt try to charge completely my Nook, but my first task is to check the real capacity of this charger.For this I will check how many times it can fully charge my nokia mobile which has a battery of 1250mah.
About the full charge of the charger, it needs for start 10-11 hours as the company who sell them told me.

Unleashed from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 162 @1.200Mhz

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
XP2000 looks great. Can I assume the XP8000 would be even better? Yeah, it weighs more but is rated 8000 mAh vs 2000 for the XP2000.

While we're on the topic the XP2000 is called a "portable charger" and the XP8000 is called an "external battery". Is there really a difference?

Anyone? Bueller?

dasingleton

Jan 5, 2008
Greenville (SC)

Yes the XP8000 would be better. Especially if your a long distance traveler. Portable charger and external battery is essentially the same thing.

here is a link to assist in selecting the right one for you.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/downloads/ProductGuide2010.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: cozboogie and d.v

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes the XP8000 would be better. Especially if your a long distance traveler. Portable charger and external battery is essentially the same thing.

here is a link to assist in selecting the right one for you.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/downloads/ProductGuide2010.pdf
    I'm interested in a similar charger, but with 2400mah.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400ma...a-cable-for-htc-desire-g5-samsung-i9000-57905

Does it work with your android phone? A lot of after market chargers makes the touch screen unusable while charging. Does it work both while plugged into the wall and using the internal battery?
    I use this with my nook. I can't answer any questions related to workability with Android phones. That's not this forum.

While using this device to charge my nook, my nook is completely usable. It will charge my nook when the device is plugged into the wall. It will also charge my nook when it's not plugged into the wall (it is a battery, after all). In either situation, my nook is completely usable when connected to this.

I use this battery with my proprietary nook charging cable.
    Wonderful report. I'm in the market for an external battery. A couple of questions if I may.

So one of the 6 tips works with an NC? I thought the NC's cord and tip were special to enable the quick charging. Do the Energizer products support this technology?
    The micro USB tip that comes with the Energizer works fine with the Nook. I don't know about "fast charge" vs. "slow charge" and all that but it definitely works. One SUBSTANTIAL advantage of the XP2000 over the larger capacity models (of the Energizer line) is that you can use any USB-to-mini USB cable, including the one that comes with it, and plug it into either a USB power plug adapter or a USB port on a computer to charge it. The XP4000, XP8000 and XP18000 all require their own power adapter. It's included in the purchase of course but I don't like carrying around another cord. Not a deal-breaker, just a factor.