Major issue after GDR3 / Lumia Black Update

Search This thread

bunnybruce

Jan 23, 2014
Ok if this is the case, I will pack my Amber rom as a ZIP file and upload it to my Skydrive. It's a Danish country variant, so you can just change the language at the first step while setting up. I am currently in a hotel in USA, so I can't tell how long it will take for the upload process.

When it is done, I will let you know. In the meanwhile, you shall have Nokia Care Suite installed, because you are going to use Product Support Tool for Store 5.0.

PLEASE NOTE:
If your phone is not bought in Denmark, then you are going to flash a non stock rom. If you later decide to claim for a replacement, please remember to flash a stock rom back.

Thanks Eric.

When I flash a ROM into the phone, will all data lost ?

Moreover, I am downloading a new ROM from Data Package Manager.
The SW Version is 3051.40000.1349.0007, is it the Lumia Black?

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
Thanks Eric.

When I flash a ROM into the phone, will all data lost ?

Moreover, I am downloading a new ROM from Data Package Manager.
The SW Version is 3051.40000.1349.0007, is it the Lumia Black?

I just finished uploading my Amber rom, I will give you a PM (Private Message) right after I reply your post.

Yes, flashing a rom, or doing a Hard Reset, all your data will lost. If you will try to save your data, which I don't know how, then you must NOT flash or hard reset your phone, and find someone real expert to help you out.

All firmwares one can download from Nokia's server, is something like 3051.xxxxxxxxxxxx, and yes it is Black. Amber has 3047.xxxxxxxxx.

RTURNERO

Apr 7, 2010
Same Problem

Dear All:
I have posted this issue on both MSDN and Nokia Discussions without any luck, so I really hope I can get some help her at XDA:crying:

I have Lumia 920 Danish Retail version. My phone is facing some kind of migrating data issue, but little more strange than many others are facing to:

1. After updating from Lumia Amber to Lumia Black, or, after flash Lumia Black(1.38GB rom from Nokia), the phone can't access any app, not only third part apps as Nokia's or Bing, but any system native app too. That is, whenever I try to open Settings, Message, IE or anything, it will just go back to home screen

2. The download/add Keyboard method does not help, because it will never get pass "preparing download" stage. Besides, people who can fix their problem with this method, they can access native apps such as Settings. But in my case, no a thing I can access.

3. Lumia Amber is working perfectly on my device. And there is no Hardware issues.

4. I have tested this multiple times, as I update the phone from Amber to Black via Wifi, or flash Lumia Black by using Nokia software Recovery Tool and Nokia Software Update for Retail. All ended up in the same situation.

I have spent time and time doing internet research, and I really can't find any suggestion that can help to solve this problem, and as far as I know, there are other people facing exact same problem as I do. So XDA seems to be my last hope.

Thank you
Eric

Update 11. feb. 2014 and my topic is off:

Nokia Care Manager for NW Europe has personally contacted me, and within 24 hours he or his team or somebody else has tested my Lumia 920 and the manager told me that he will send a replacement to me. So my case is closed.

However, because of our conversations and the test of my phone, Nokia is officially noticed this problem/issue now, and I mentioned that the problem is not only occurred on Lumia 920, but also on Lumia 820 and maybe other models. The manager has forwarded my message to Nokia's development team.

I am NOT saying that Nokia will issue a replacement for everyone, nor saying that a fix or anything is coming as far as I know. ALL I AM SAYING, IS that NOKIA IS OFFICIALLY KNOWEN WITH THE ISSUE.

Eric @ 11 feb 2014

I have the exact same problem. Rogers phone, using it on T-Mobile USA. I had the Preview for Developers build and then I upgraded as soon as Black was available. It upgrades fine and seems to migrate the data just fine but then after the first reboot you're screwed. I had a pin on my phone and it would hang as soon as I tapped the last digit. The back, windows and search key gave haptic feedback and the power button turned the screen on and off but nothing else.

After this I tried a soft reset and then a hard reset, same issues without a pin it shows exactly the same symptoms as Eric describes.

I also tried using NSU, the first day I tried it still had the Rogers Amber build, the next day when I tried it it had the Black build. Luckily I had the Amber ROM at home.

So now I'm stuck on the Amber ROM, it's working just fine but it's frustrating that I can't upgrade.

Last edited:

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
Rturnero:
I saw you posted your reply both on XDA and Nokia Discussion, so I just reply here:
I think if you provide your phone's paperwork to Nokia Care USA, they may do a replacement for you as well. They may do another test on your phone just like mine, assumed they are not informed by this problem yet. But that is just my gusse because I can't see why they shall not do. In fact my problem occured when I actually was in NY City, and I did call Nokia Care US, and they told me to send in the phone, but I just choosed to do this when I was back in Europe.

I am quite pleased of getting a new phone and think the Black is nice, so I was happy that I did the request on replacement.

RTURNERO

Apr 7, 2010
No luck

Rturnero:
I saw you posted your reply both on XDA and Nokia Discussion, so I just reply here:
I think if you provide your phone's paperwork to Nokia Care USA, they may do a replacement for you as well. They may do another test on your phone just like mine, assumed they are not informed by this problem yet. But that is just my gusse because I can't see why they shall not do. In fact my problem occured when I actually was in NY City, and I did call Nokia Care US, and they told me to send in the phone, but I just choosed to do this when I was back in Europe.

I am quite pleased of getting a new phone and think the Black is nice, so I was happy that I did the request on replacement.

I just called them and talked to them on the chat, they directed me to Palco which would cost me $100 to have the phone flashed. You must have been really lucky with who you spoke to.

They did make a point of asking me if it was fully charged when I tried the update, I'm going to charge it fully and try again and see if I have any better luck.

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
If they were talking about to get you phone "flashed", then I think you and Nokia Care totally missed each other.

1. I don't believe that 100% charged has anything to do with any kind of problem. People get told to charge the phone 100% is more likely a standard telling that prevents people who come with a "broken" phone but what it actually happens is just that the phone run out of battery.

2. Nokia Care USA tell me to send in the phone because I CONVICED THEM that I know what I am saying and doing. I told them all my test results and they can see, that it may be the best if I send in the phone. Generally, if you sounds like a half pro or a pro, it makes the communication much more easier, because they know that this may be a serious problem.

I hope you get better luck when you call them again. Remember to tell them details about how you have tried to flash your phone, and all what you have tested/done. Convince them that there is no way back but THEY have to look into it.

The 100% battery thing is crap, but I did it too, not because I believe it is a solution to anything, but because it is a thing among a whole package of small things/tests you have to do so the another part of your conversation doesn't think, that he/she is just talking to another "stupid" customer.

All good luck.
Eric

princely01

Feb 16, 2016
please ERIC Z can u send me a link to your RM 821 ROM PLEASE my phone is almost dead

i really need that RM 821 ROM windows device recovery tool downloaded RM 820 INSTEAD of RM 821 My only phone is stuck on spinning gears and sad face loop and a software that can flash it to my phone thanks a million
ERIC Z

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
i really need that RM 821 ROM windows device recovery tool downloaded RM 820 INSTEAD of RM 821 My only phone is stuck on spinning gears and sad face loop and a software that can flash it to my phone thanks a million
ERIC Z
I really doubt that I will still have the package. I do not own the Lumia 920 for a very long time now. I will check and give you final message within a day or two.

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
ERIC Z
Sorry I do not have the files any more. However, I believe the post from titi66200 shall be able to help you out.

Top Liked Posts