Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,540 Members 38,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Keyboard & charger

Tip us?

Dr.Lota
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Keyboard & charger

If you are traveling and need to use GPS, but maps are loaded on a external card and you have your viewpad charging on lighter outlet.
or (my case) you have some serious amount of text to write and you need the keyboard connected as well as your wall mount charger....

Is there any known way to connect the battery charger and a peripheral as keyboard or usb mass storage device at the same time?

I'm thinking about some surgery to the usb-to-miniusb converter that I use to connect my desktop type keyboard to the viewpad, but don't know what could happen to the usb device or the keyboard. Neither know which of the 5 pins (contacts) of the charger is the active one...

Any suggestions?

Tnx in advance.

Dr.Lota
Old
(Last edited by Dr.Lota; 17th March 2012 at 05:41 AM.) Reason: missing some info....
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question anothe question....

Ok... since there is no answer over 24hrs, I'll make another question to make this a little more interesting for you people could help me...

Is there any chance to connect a keyboard (already working) plus a SD card at the same time??

I'm making some fun stuff with a keyboard and making some surgery I could install some kind of "external USB Port" on the keyboard.... but, should it work?? I mean, keyboard and flash memory together, connected to one-single miniUSB port....

Developers.... any suggestion??

Thnx again...

Forgett to say.... on Viewpad7 with FROYO 2.2.1

Dr.Lota
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Another idea

Ok, easy people... That bunch of comments about my topic make s me feel kind dizzy...
Just kidding....

Making some research (on goggle, haha!!), I've found that USB port on a pc have a 5volt-500mA output... So, if that's nominal out and that power could charge the viewpad AND don't turn on smoke any peripheral, Then I just have to connect power out on a wall-mount charger to the 1st pin (wire) of a 5 contact miniUSB, regarding on the power out put on 500mA.
(thanks isIran for your assistance )

now... PLEASE SOMEONE STOP ME IF I'M HAVING SOME IDIOTIC, TABLET BRICKING, IDEA!!!!

Thnx again

claudioggs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,
The Viewpad wall charger have a non standard conector, if you look in the contact part you will see double connection.
In the main charger body you will find the pinout:
Pin 1 & 6 +, pin 5 & 10 -
These pins (6&10) are longer than the data pins to ensure that the power connections mate first and un-mate last.
The wall charger is 2 A and the USB PC port only 0.5A (0.9A for USB3)
For this reason a wall charger change in 2 hours and a PC USB in 15 hours.
A dedicated USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A
for this reason the device know when it's connected to a computer or to a dedicated charger (like a Garmin GPS)

Probably modifiying a connector (or keyboard) to provide energy and data will work.
Did you try a USB hub?

Less us know the result of your experience.
cheers

ecossais
Old
Thanks Meter 46
You could solve the keyboard problem by using a bluetooth keyboard and you can charge the tab on the USB port at the same time.
ecossais

Verizon Galaxy S4
ROM: EchoeROM

Nexus 10
ROM: LiquidSmooth

Dr.Lota
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossais View Post
You could solve the keyboard problem by using a bluetooth keyboard and you can charge the tab on the USB port at the same time.
Right, this solve one problem, but is much expensive and less fun... Besides, didn't solve the flash drive plus charger issue...

About pins 6 &10... Just noticed that (in over a year never look that closer the charger pin).

I'll try usb hub, but I'm afraid to burn some flash drive or worst...

Thanx for your interest and helpful advice...