Thinkpad Tablet Dock 2

Search This thread

mlau010

Aug 8, 2008
I have just bought a Thinkpad Tablet (the original andriod version)

Was looking for a thinkpad tablet dock here in Australia as I remember that they were selling for $40 at one point. However couldn't find it online anymore.

On the online chat with a lenovo rep, he tells that dock 2 will work with the the original thinkpad and more interestingly.... HDMI will work from the dock as well.

Can anyone confirm this? HDMI was a major missing thing from the original dock

LSWONE

Jan 3, 2013
I think it will work. The port for the tablets is the same and I found out the original android dock was supposed to have HDMI out but they removed it before release.
You can see it in the picture I just took.

noxxle

Jan 26, 2012
Is the original dock compatible with the Thinkpad Tablet 2?

I don't need all the ports. I just want to charge faster. The original dock is much cheaper.

Last edited:

jchammerpants

Aug 22, 2012
Neither dock is immediately cross-compatible.

I had a TPT1 and still have its dock. My TPT1 was upgraded by Lenovo to a TPT2 after numerous warranty issues. They also gave me a free dock since I had purchased the TPT1.

To this question, I'll caution owners from buying the "other" dock for their device. Neither is 'out-of-the-box' compatible with the other tablet's physical dimensions.

The TPT1 dock is intended to be used in portrait mode, and the trough in which the tablet is seated on the docking connector is "boxed" on all four sides. Since the TPT2's connector is on the bottom landscape-wise, it cannot reach the TPT1 docks' connector as-is. You'll have to cut pieces of the plastic and metal dock off at the ends of the "box" to allow the TPT2 drop onto the connector.

Here's a pic of the TPT1 dock's "boxed" trough:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwzqrgi9tjhrro8/2013-02-17 11.58.04.jpg

I also estimate that the TPT2 dock will not work with the TPT1-- if someone is doing so successfully, I will be happy to be proven wrong! :laugh:

The reason I think it won't work is the comparative width of the TPT1 vs. TPT2. The TPT2 is significantly slimmer than the TPT1. While the TPT2 dock is not "boxed" on the ends like the TPT1 dock, the trough looks to be too narrow to allow the TPT1 to slide in to it. The TPT2 slides in snugly, and it is much thinner than the TPT1.

This pic is not as clear as I'd like, but it is attempting to show that the trough of the TPT2 dock (held upright in my left hand) including the plastic lip in the front is still narrower than the TPT1 trough.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4xfzeoa0f8ae4z/2013-02-17 11.59.13.jpg

Hope this is helpful.
JC