[Q] Buying a HD 2 - New or used?

Search This thread

Atoss

Oct 19, 2014
Being both amazed by the sh**load of OSes the HD2 can run and in need of a smartphone, I decided to buy one. Just one thing I am not sure about - new or used? What I am most concerned about is the state of the NAND memory - knowing that it has a limited lifespan or reads and writes, I am somewhat afraid of getting one that is close to it's death. Also, what about TRIM availability? Wouldn't want to run into a unit that's slowed down to a speed of a crippled snail just to find out that there's no remedy.

Spaqin

Oct 5, 2010
good luck finding a new five year old phone now, though. I'd choose something else, from experience I know once you get into the mod scene of this phone you get to know it's not really that great nor alive at this moment.

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
still new available (can buy in my local phone mall) but would only buy if price cheap.
Would only buy one if really need cross platform support or need run WM6.5.
Other option is buying one with dead or cracked digitizer & fitting new digi as broken but clean HD2 can be had for around 22USD & Digitizers are 12USD.

Atoss

Oct 19, 2014
@Spaqin - what'd be the problem with picking up a new HD2? Some new ones still sold on eBay, so...
@Mister B - I am a bit afraid of digitizer replacements, as the last time I did it (on my previous phone - Samsung Galaxy Ace-i GT-S5830i) the result was... well, functional, but barely - registering touches when not being touched at all, or not responding at all. Also, the reason I'm picking this phone is that I don't have much money to invest, and I like the freedom of OS choice - on any other phone that I know of, I'm pretty much locked to whatever OS it has.. Just the idea of flashing whatever OS I feel like got me excited. If anyone can recommend anything similar at a similar price, I'm open to suggestions.

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
@Spaqin
Up to really then on what available to you in your region.
eBay new or used is iffy unless incredibly good feedback.
I been lucky with a few used ones picked up from local phone shop that took them as part exchange when doing upgrades.
Certainly odd good ones come on eBay but most are same tat going round so be careful.
I still use HD2 & WM6.5.5 & it perfectly decent device.
To be honest best way of buying a bargain is with broken digitizer, I bought one from ebay with all original accessories & box & very good condition besides dead digi plus it still had void stickers in tact, repair is cheap but certainly need experience at least one before you good at it.
Nothing else has same cross platform support.
Certainly a nice device if price & condition good. happy hunting .

Atoss

Oct 19, 2014
@Spaqin
Up to really then on what available to you in your region.
eBay new or used is iffy unless incredibly good feedback.
I been lucky with a few used ones picked up from local phone shop that took them as part exchange when doing upgrades.
Certainly odd good ones come on eBay but most are same tat going round so be careful.
I still use HD2 & WM6.5.5 & it perfectly decent device.
To be honest best way of buying a bargain is with broken digitizer, I bought one from ebay with all original accessories & box & very good condition besides dead digi plus it still had void stickers in tact, repair is cheap but certainly need experience at least one before you good at it.
Nothing else has same cross platform support.
Certainly a nice device if price & condition good. happy hunting .

No hope of buying one locally, new ones ain't available in stores anymore, and even used ones don't seem to pop up over here - the closest thing I've ever seen is a HD Mini.
I think I'll eventually buy a new one on eBay, as both sellers that have nice offers have 98,8% positive rep, but just in case - what about the NAND? Is the stuff I listed in the first post a real issue or just my imaginary concerns?
Also, bit offtopic: what could have been my mistake when changing the digitizer on the Ace?

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
No hope of buying one locally, new ones ain't available in stores anymore, and even used ones don't seem to pop up over here - the closest thing I've ever seen is a HD Mini.
I think I'll eventually buy a new one on eBay, as both sellers that have nice offers have 98,8% positive rep, but just in case - what about the NAND? Is the stuff I listed in the first post a real issue or just my imaginary concerns?
Also, bit offtopic: what could have been my mistake when changing the digitizer on the Ace?

I certainly don't like buying them when think well used on Android, a lot of flashing can indeed bring up nand issues. Other issue with HD2s pushed hard on android is BGA issues with cpu due to higher running temps.
Expect your digitizer was due to flex connection or rough handling, to do hd2 digitizer really well does require experience, the first one will never be best & without precise strip down & handling many things can be damaged ...

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
You can use swappa.com to try to find one (please do not use this site for buying/selling as it is against our rules). They should go pretty cheap as how old they are.

The HD2 was my all time favorite device and I spent a lot of time on these forums in the HD2 section, flashing different builds of WM, WP, and Android daily. But the hardware is so old that it really makes no sense except for nostalgia.

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
You can use swappa.com to try to find one (please do not use this site for buying/selling as it is against our rules). They should go pretty cheap as how old they are.

The HD2 was my all time favorite device and I spent a lot of time on these forums in the HD2 section, flashing different builds of WM, WP, and Android daily. But the hardware is so old that it really makes no sense except for nostalgia.
There is still android development occurring, we already have good kitkat builds, a new 3.0 kernel and people are working on lollipop ATM. I suppose it depends on the price really.
Tempted to dust off your old HD2 orangekid?;)

Reactions: Szczepanik

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
There is still android development occurring, we already have good kitkat builds, a new 3.0 kernel and people are working on lollipop ATM. I suppose it depends on the price really.

I am actually. Hands down best device ever.

I haven't done anything with it in a few years actually, but maybe I'll see how recent dev stuff is on it.

Reactions: Robbie P

cardusan

Nov 22, 2014
nice

Being both amazed by the sh**load of OSes the HD2 can run and in need of a smartphone, I decided to buy one. Just one thing I am not sure about - new or used? What I am most concerned about is the state of the NAND memory - knowing that it has a limited lifespan or reads and writes, I am somewhat afraid of getting one that is close to it's death. Also, what about TRIM availability? Wouldn't want to run into a unit that's slowed down to a speed of a crippled snail just to find out that there's no remedy.

if you can find new that is beyond belief and really really GOOD! If refurbished, be aware of those... Good mint condition used unit may be the best bet... good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am actually. Hands down best device ever.

I haven't done anything with it in a few years actually, but maybe I'll see how recent dev stuff is on it.