ART and Dalvik runtime

Search This thread

Perry2547

Sep 25, 2013
I see that cm 11 has to option to change from Dalvik to ART.
Any precautions or special instructions one should take before switching?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
Basically I wouldn't do it unless you full data wipe, in fact I'd wipe everything, install cm, boot, flip the switch, wipe system and caches, flash ROM, flash gapps and cross my fingers. Seems to break every app (wiping caches no help) and essentially force me into a full data wipe / restore to get a phone back if I try without a wipe.

Hint: always nandroid, Hint: there is a Nexus 5 art to dalvik flashable zip which I knows works too. (Google the same), Hint: its been awhile since I used ART.

singhpratik87

Sep 9, 2010
I see that cm 11 has to option to change from Dalvik to ART.
Any precautions or special instructions one should take before switching?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app
Well if you have newly installed the CM rom,switch to ART right after you set up the ROM initially that way the system will have less apps to convert to ART runtime but one can do it even after installing all the apps on their phone would just take longer that's all. Just be sure not to install any non ART runtime supported app cause if you do and when you reboot it will switch back to DALVIK. that's the only precaution you need to take

darkchazz

Jul 10, 2011
ART made my old nexus 7 feel like a new device. Apps open up faster. Scrolling is overall smoother everywhere and stuttering is greatly reduced.
Haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.
And yes I did use the option in the developer settings to switch.

Last edited:

ipsuvedi

Feb 9, 2012
Mumbai
It came to know that @dr.ketan has an app which automacially switches between Dalvik & ART ..which supports n7100 too.. but I couldnt find the app

Anybody know???

Sent from my SM-G900L using xda premium