Kobo Arc Development

Search This thread
Apr 10, 2013
Markham
So I was randomly flying around on Google today, and I noticed that someone had claimed to root the Kobo Arc, and gave written instructions here -- http : // www . mobileread . com / forums / showthread.php?p=2584491 (Remove the spaces, XDA won't let me post an actual link, since I don't have 10 posts yet). After running through this myself, I went on the Google Play store and used root checker. Much to my surprise, it worked, and my device now has root access. I even tested with Root Explorer, and mounted the system partition as R/W, and I can move things in and out of it. I'm currently working on trying to get a custom ROM working, but I'm worried that I will cause a brick, since Cyanogen doesn't support the Arc. (yet...)

Reactions: dazza9075

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
So I was randomly flying around on Google today, and I noticed that someone had claimed to root the Kobo Arc, and gave written instructions here -- http : // www . mobileread . com / forums / showthread.php?p=2584491 (Remove the spaces, XDA won't let me post an actual link, since I don't have 10 posts yet). After running through this myself, I went on the Google Play store and used root checker. Much to my surprise, it worked, and my device now has root access. I even tested with Root Explorer, and mounted the system partition as R/W, and I can move things in and out of it. I'm currently working on trying to get a custom ROM working, but I'm worried that I will cause a brick, since Cyanogen doesn't support the Arc. (yet...)

confirmed, was just going to post this but was beaten to it.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218928

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to the next stop, a ROM :D

Device now has a working custom recovery see post 15

Sent from my Arc using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• Arctic.apk
    905.5 KB · Views: 1,671
Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218928
In terms of a ROM do we not need a compatible boot loader that will allow unsigned ROMs?

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to find a man about a ROM :D

i have absolutely no idea what im doing but I think I have dumped 12 partitions using

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/sdcard/p10.img

is there anyone around that fancies a challenge? im in a position where bricking this thing isn't really much of a problem so if someones up for a challenge and wants to help im willing to lend myself and the device to this

Apr 10, 2013
Markham
Warning : Block of Text Ahead.

In terms of a ROM do we not need a compatible boot loader that will allow unsigned ROMs?

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to find a man about a ROM :D

Haha. As soon as I found a thread called "root the Kobo Arc" on Google, I posted it here right away. Sorry if I deprived you of the satisfaction! *troll*

Joking aside, I'm not too sure about the bootloader. I think it's pretty locked down (since I put a nexus 7's cyanogenmod onto the data partition and rebooted. It tried to updated, but said validation failed, or something of that sort). I can't install any custom recoveries either, since I have no idea how to do it in the first place, and there's none made for the Arc.

Also, I analyzed the Arc with the "Droid Examiner" App from the play store (That is a really great app, just so you know), and found that it uses a board called "zeus". The funny thing, though, is that one of Sony's Xperia phones, also has a board called "Zeus", and there's Cyanogenmod for that (albiet not the latest version). However, these two devices have nothing in common. The closest thing to an Arc that has Cyanogenmod is the Nook HD/HD+, which uses the exact same chip (OMAP TI 4470).

If someone is smart enough (not me) to analyze the Cyanogenmod files for the Nook, and see how they work, that may lead into flashing the Arc.

Anyway, I'm resetting the Arc, since I'm having weird cases where the Arc would freeze after booting it from sleep mode, and I'd have to turn it off and on again. I think that was something else I did, since it happened before the root, but neh, I might as well try this all from factory default settings.

Sorry for the block of text, guys!

P.S. Using the stock Jelly Bean boot animation on the Arc looks amazing!:laugh:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Haha, its cool, like yourself I just happened to Google kobo arc root and for once my googe fu was up to the task and the root appeared ;)

I've been looking at starting my own recovery mod branch but its no simple task by the looks of it, if their are similar devices we can use all their data and tweak it to ours which would help a lot!

Oh I think we have fast boot, I held vol down and pushed power on, it just sat at the kobo arc screen, I used the nexus 7 driver from the universal adb/fastboot driver I found on here and it connected up http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2263822

I stumbled on some to good to be true program on Xda dev that apparently can root anything and unlock any bootloader once your in fastboot mode. I have tried that part and it said it was successful but i have no idea how to test this out yet, the program does a bunch of other stuff too, the adb stuff worked as did apk sending, and the rooting options knew i was rooted, it also has flashing functions, I'll be damed if I can find it now I'm at home though , I'll have another look.

I don't mind doing leg work but if someone can read the map it would be very helpful!

Edit, found it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2399385
http://www.mediafire.com/?vwxpq62pa927s9c

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2013
Markham
Haha, its cool, like yourself I just happened to Google kobo arc root and for once my googe fu was up to the task and the root appeared ;)

I've been looking at starting my own recovery mod branch but its no simple task by the looks of it, if their are similar devices we can use all their data and tweak it to ours which would help a lot!

Oh I think we have fast boot, I held vol down and pushed power on, it just sat at the kobo arc screen, I used the nexus 7 driver from the universal adb/fastboot driver I found on here and it connected up http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2263822

I stumbled on some to good to be true program on Xda dev that apparently can root anything and unlock any bootloader once your in fastboot mode. I have tried that part and it said it was successful but i have no idea how to test this out yet, the program does a bunch of other stuff too, the adb stuff worked as did apk sending, and the rooting options knew i was rooted, it also has flashing functions, I'll be damed if I can find it now I'm at home though , I'll have another look.

I don't mind doing leg work but if someone can read the map it would be very helpful!

Edit, found it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2399385
http://www.mediafire.com/?vwxpq62pa927s9c

Um... Okay. I've installed the drivers (I think I installed them correctly), and I booted my device using "volume down + power". I have it connected to my System, but whenever I try to use one of the options in the Android Root Toolkit, it tells me it's waiting for the device. I don't know what I did wrong, but something's clearly not working.

As far as the recovery goes, I think that looking at the Nook Tablet from TWRP would work quite nicely. It runs on a similar processor ( I believe it's a OMAP TI 4430 ), and it seems to be quite similar in specs to the Arc. If only I was a bit better at programming...

Reactions: stevov

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Um... Okay. I've installed the drivers (I think I installed them correctly), and I booted my device using "volume down + power". I have it connected to my System, but whenever I try to use one of the options in the Android Root Toolkit, it tells me it's waiting for the device. I don't know what I did wrong, but something's clearly not working.

As far as the recovery goes, I think that looking at the Nook Tablet from TWRP would work quite nicely. It runs on a similar processor ( I believe it's a OMAP TI 4430 ), and it seems to be quite similar in specs to the Arc. If only I was a bit better at programming...

im usig the generic android adb driver and the bootloader driver for fast boot
im dumped all partitions and mapped them all out, see below for file system details

But again I'm blindly stabbing in the dark and most tutorials are a bit lacking in depth or not relevant to the kobo :/

Last edited:
Reactions: stevov

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
127|root@android:/ # blkid
/dev/block/dm-2: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/dm-1: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/dm-0: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
root@android:/ #

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2013
Markham
Okay, so I can't even push apps to the Arc using ADB. I think you have to boot into recovery (power + volume up). I don't know how to use the terminal at all (I'm lost, I know D: ), so I don't have that installed on the Arc. I remember being able to do ADB even with my Sony Reader (First gen, PRST1), so I'm not sure why the Arc isn't quite working. I have both drivers installed, BTW.

As for the recovery, I can't even find a method to flash it. I'm still trying everything I can, though. :\

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
ive mapped out the following partitions and any info ive found about each of them, im not in a position to help at the moment, got a big day at work tomorrow, as mentioned above ive used several tools,
SuperSU,
ROM toolbox pro
busybox
remount

Below is a list of all the available partition names and numbers

/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 xloader
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/xloader
348KB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bootloader
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootloader
1.50MB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 cypto
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/crypto
Completely empty
64KB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 EFS
Mounted as /FACTORY
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4:UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/efs /factory ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
20MB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 misc
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/misc
Completely empty
128KB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 Bootlogo
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootlogo
Contains kobo arc picture
4MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 Logos
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/logos
contains the battery charge logo
28MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 recovery
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
data contains a GZ file, when decompressed we get a 8.5MB file of unknown type, exact same as in boot
5MB of data
16MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 boot
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
data contains a GZ file, when decompressed we get a 8.5MB file of unknown type, exact same as n recovery
4.5MB of data
8MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 CACHE
Mounted as /CACHE
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache /cache ext4
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,barrier=1,nom blk_io_submit,data=ordered 0
768MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 SYSTEM
Mounted as /SYSTEM
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system /system ext4
rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
910MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 USERDATA
Mounted as /DATA
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,barrier=1,nom blk_io_submit,data=ordered 0
12GB partition size

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
im not sure that's going to work you know, ive had some permission errors with adb which suggests the root isn't full, terminal on the device works fine, but adb just has some problems, adb shell and the su seems to fix them.

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/android-terminal-adb-shell-command-list/1168/
http://www.addictivetips.com/android/make-nandroid-backups-on-android-without-booting-into-recovery/

im busy today but ive found these useful

i think Clockwork Recovery should be our focus at this point or if you have dumped your partitions(?) attempt to construct a rom for later use

or this should work too
Install any Custom Recovery with flash_image:

Just like the previous method, this method also requires following advanced steps and is not recommended if the first method is working for you. flash_image is a tool for Android devices that lets you rewrite your phone’s system partitions with partition image files and installing it to your device requires ADB. If you don’t already have ADB installed, check out our guide on installing ADB. Once you have ADB installed, flash the custom recovery image as follows:
WARNING: It is very important that the recovery image that you use in this method is compatible with your device. Else it will not work and flashing it could possibly brick your device.
  1. Download flash_image and extract it from the zip file to a location on your computer. We extracted it to the main C drive (not in any folder) and will use that in the next steps.
  2. Copy the recovery image for your phone to a convenient location on your computer, preferably with a short path. We will be placing it on the C Drive directly (not in any folder) and using that in the next steps.
    Note: The recovery image should have .img extension. If it is in a zip file, extract the .img file from it.
  3. Enable USB debugging mode on your device from Menu > Settings > Applications > Development.
  4. Connect your device to your computer via USB.
  5. Open a Command Prompt window on your computer and enter the following commands: adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/adb shellsumount -o remount, rw /systemcp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bincd /system/binchmod 777 flash_imageflash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.imgThis will first transfer flash_image and recovery.img to your phone. Then it will copy flash_image to the /system/bin folder of your Android device and make it executable. Finally, it will flash the custom recovery image to your device using flash_image.
    Note that we used c:\flash_image and c:\recovery.img in the first two lines as we had these files extracted at the root of our C drive. If you extracted the files elsewhere, use the appropriate paths and if your recovery image has a different name, use the appropriate name.
  6. Reboot your device once the process is finished and you’re done. You may exit adb and the Command Prompt window on your computer by entering ‘exit’ thrice.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2013
Markham
im not sure that's going to work you know, ive had some permission errors with adb which suggests the root isn't full, terminal on the device works fine, but adb just has some problems, adb shell and the su seems to fix them.

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/android-terminal-adb-shell-command-list/1168/
http://www.addictivetips.com/android/make-nandroid-backups-on-android-without-booting-into-recovery/

im busy today but ive found these useful

i think Clockwork Recovery should be our focus at this point or if you have dumped your partitions(?) attempt to construct a rom for later use

or this should work too
Install any Custom Recovery with flash_image:

Just like the previous method, this method also requires following advanced steps and is not recommended if the first method is working for you. flash_image is a tool for Android devices that lets you rewrite your phone’s system partitions with partition image files and installing it to your device requires ADB. If you don’t already have ADB installed, check out our guide on installing ADB. Once you have ADB installed, flash the custom recovery image as follows:
WARNING: It is very important that the recovery image that you use in this method is compatible with your device. Else it will not work and flashing it could possibly brick your device.
  1. Download flash_image and extract it from the zip file to a location on your computer. We extracted it to the main C drive (not in any folder) and will use that in the next steps.
  2. Copy the recovery image for your phone to a convenient location on your computer, preferably with a short path. We will be placing it on the C Drive directly (not in any folder) and using that in the next steps.
    Note: The recovery image should have .img extension. If it is in a zip file, extract the .img file from it.
  3. Enable USB debugging mode on your device from Menu > Settings > Applications > Development.
  4. Connect your device to your computer via USB.
  5. Open a Command Prompt window on your computer and enter the following commands: adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/adb shellsumount -o remount, rw /systemcp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bincd /system/binchmod 777 flash_imageflash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.imgThis will first transfer flash_image and recovery.img to your phone. Then it will copy flash_image to the /system/bin folder of your Android device and make it executable. Finally, it will flash the custom recovery image to your device using flash_image.
    Note that we used c:\flash_image and c:\recovery.img in the first two lines as we had these files extracted at the root of our C drive. If you extracted the files elsewhere, use the appropriate paths and if your recovery image has a different name, use the appropriate name.
  6. Reboot your device once the process is finished and you’re done. You may exit adb and the Command Prompt window on your computer by entering ‘exit’ thrice.

I've already tried that recovery method (I spent about two hours just googling), and it doesn't work with the Arc. The ADB won't let me push the image over.

As for Cyanogenmod, I tried something yesterday. A person on the Mobileread forums (apparently a Kobo employee) put out an update.zip file for the Kobo Arc. The file was quite old, and it's really just the 4.1.1 update that (I hope) we're all running. He said that as long as you put it on the root of the data partition, the Arc will flash it immediately. When I tried taking a Nexus 7's Cyanogenmod file and sticking it in the same place, the Arc started flashing it, but then just said there was an error with the update. So I personally think that you do require a properly signed ROM.

However, if you open up Kobo's update.zip using Winrar, a sidebar pops up that says "signed by SignApk". I don't know too much about this, but couldn't we use this "signapk" to sign our own ROMS and flash them?

Just a thought.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
As for Cyanogenmod, I tried something yesterday. A person on the Mobileread forums (apparently a Kobo employee) put out an update.zip file for the Kobo Arc. The file was quite old, and it's really just the 4.1.1 update that (I hope) we're all running. He said that as long as you put it on the root of the data partition, the Arc will flash it immediately. When I tried taking a Nexus 7's Cyanogenmod file and sticking it in the same place, the Arc started flashing it, but then just said there was an error with the update. So I personally think that you do require a properly signed ROM.

However, if you open up Kobo's update.zip using Winrar, a sidebar pops up that says "signed by SignApk". I don't know too much about this, but couldn't we use this "signapk" to sign our own ROMS and flash them?

Just a thought.

I think there is a problem with the setup, I just flashed a CW recovery image and it worked, or didn't rather! but the concept did, transferred, flashed using adb, I had to replace it though as it was totally borked and kept restarting, apparently the touch based recovery methods can be like that, ill have some good time tomorrow night (UK time) if your about, and ill keep at it tonight if I get a chance!
copy recovery to adb location

adb push recovery.img /sdcard/

adb shell
su
cat /sdcard/recovery.img > /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

exit adb shell and type

adb reboot recovery

fixed it by holding power button and vol down to boot to fastboot recovery
then ran

fastboot flash recovery inputrecovery.img

inputrecovery being my original recovery file taken from partition 8!

ive updated the partition map on the post above with my progress, but it looks like we can flash to them my name so its probably less relevant now

oh ive ditched the drivers I was using and reinstalled the drivers from the official SDK, generic android adb for within android and android bootloader for fastboot

EDIT

Yaaas!! recovery replaced :)
ok, deleting or renaming /etc/install-recover.sh appears to have stopped custom recovery being changed back to stock after reboot, I used the recovery builder to make a build from partition 8, which it did without error, flashed using the above commands.​

Still don't know what im doing though, but progress is progress :D

ill post a link to the custom recovery ive made soon, we need to make up some fstab file listing all the mounts etc, i tried one but it must be borked as recovery couldnt see anything​

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
ok i have a working recovery http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.com/job/recovery/35325/artifact/

its not quite done, i need to mount the sdcard, its physical location is mounted, ie /data, but its virtual mount isn't /storage/sdcard

I have asked for some help so hopefully someone can help be on this, I think it needs to be symlinked

im going to need some help soon, so if your reading this with a kobo arc, I need you! im needing a hand folks! if your stuck getting this far let me know and we can PM to get it working

oh and recovery is also now persistant by deleting or renaming /etc/install-recover.sh"

Last edited:
Reactions: jmichaels1982

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Sorted folks!

I have made a stable and thus far, a working custom recovery.

its mounting everything and backing up / restoring works as it should, unless anyone can find any issues I consider this step in building a complete ROM completed,

you must have root, download arctic.apk and install on your tablet, you will need to enable unknown sources In dev options first

you must have android and java sdk also installed, you will need to add the google usb drivers in the android sdk, you will find them in the "extras"

Enable usb debug on the arc and install the generic google adb usb drivers

Delete or rename /etc/install-recover.sh this will make the custom recovery persistent

Copy the recovery.img to the SDCard, either by using drag and drop in windows ( to root of "internal storage") or by adb push, if you use adb push then remember to copy recovery.img to the same folder as adb

The next job is to open up a command window and navigate to adb folder, type the following exactly, even better copy and paste them!

adb shell
su
cat /sdcard/recovery.img > /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

exit adb shell (ctrl+C) and type

adb reboot recovery

and bobs your uncle, one happy new recovery

Attachments

• recovery.img
    6 MB · Views: 381
  • Arctic.apk
    905.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Thanks for your hard work. Everything works quite well.

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk 4

that's the easy bit, I have a feeling I need to make a couple of changes to the recovery.img but noting major, just a couple of other mounts I may have missed

I probably would like some help with the next bit however.

im just trying to build a development platform, I have a loathing for Linux as a desktop so will need to re educate myself without throwing my laptop out of the window, after that "challenge" the ROM should be easy ;)

Apr 10, 2013
Markham
Well, I've just done it, and it works. Everything seems to be in order for the time being. I'm going to muck around with the new capabilities, and see what I can do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Compiling Cyanogenmod 12.1 from Source [Kobo Arc 10HD]

I’ve started compiling Cyanogenmod 12.1 for this tablet a few days ago, and I have made some progress. Here’s the details.

Compiled Cyanogenmod Stock Recovery successfully from 12.1 sources.
    Operational and functional with some frame buffer (display) issues. A successful compilation of the stock recovery image means that compiling the full system image is feasible. I won’t append the recovery image to the end of this post because of frame buffer problems.

Compiled TWRP Recovery successfully against Cyanogenmod 12.1 sources.
    Operational and functional, no issues as far as explored. The image is appended to the end of this post for anyone who wants to test it. TWRP is a very useful recovery image.

Currently assembling device tree from scratch.

This is the most important and time consuming part of the process, but if I can get it right we might, and I stress might have a working Cyanogenmod 12.1.

Disclaimer
    The TWRP recovery image below is set up with partition tables for the Kobo Arc 10HD. I’m not responsible for bricked devices. It would be great if someone with a similar device could test all of the features, or find anything odd that needs fixing.

To test the TWRP recovery image without flashing, enter fastboot mode and run the following command. It will take about 20 seconds for the kernel to fully initialize (high compression);

Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

If you like what you see, then you can flash it to the recovery partition;

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

I’ll be back when I have more news. I hope this might have been helpful.
    Moved to new thread and more appropriate forum - keep up the good work guys :)
    Sorted folks!

I have made a stable and thus far, a working custom recovery.

its mounting everything and backing up / restoring works as it should, unless anyone can find any issues I consider this step in building a complete ROM completed,

you must have root, download arctic.apk and install on your tablet, you will need to enable unknown sources In dev options first

you must have android and java sdk also installed, you will need to add the google usb drivers in the android sdk, you will find them in the "extras"

Enable usb debug on the arc and install the generic google adb usb drivers

Delete or rename /etc/install-recover.sh this will make the custom recovery persistent

Copy the recovery.img to the SDCard, either by using drag and drop in windows ( to root of "internal storage") or by adb push, if you use adb push then remember to copy recovery.img to the same folder as adb

The next job is to open up a command window and navigate to adb folder, type the following exactly, even better copy and paste them!

adb shell
    su

exit adb shell (ctrl+C) and type

adb reboot recovery

and bobs your uncle, one happy new recovery
    Well, I've made some progress. I successfully (or at least I hope successfully) ported Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (p3110) over to the Arc, and it will successfully flash through the recovery without any errors. However, it really doesn't get any better beyond that point. As of this moment, my Kobo's just endlessly running the Cyanogenmod boot animation (It's the Cyanogenmod one, so at least something is working), and refusing to go any further. I can still access recovery and use my backups, which is a relief, as I'd be screwed otherwise. Any thoughts?

Edit : After a bit of tinkering, I managed to flash a very heavily modified version of the ROM. So modified that the settings won't recognize it as Cyanogenmod. However, the Cyanogenmod account app will pop up as soon as it boots, and then immediately give me an ANR, and say Cyanogenmod Account has stopped. I'm going to keep working on this...

Just a thought.

I think there is a problem with the setup, I just flashed a CW recovery image and it worked, or didn't rather! but the concept did, transferred, flashed using adb, I had to replace it though as it was totally borked and kept restarting, apparently the touch based recovery methods can be like that, ill have some good time tomorrow night (UK time) if your about, and ill keep at it tonight if I get a chance!
    copy recovery to adb location

adb shell
    su

exit adb shell and type

adb reboot recovery

fixed it by holding power button and vol down to boot to fastboot recovery
    then ran

fastboot flash recovery inputrecovery.img

inputrecovery being my original recovery file taken from partition 8!

ive updated the partition map on the post above with my progress, but it looks like we can flash to them my name so its probably less relevant now

oh ive ditched the drivers I was using and reinstalled the drivers from the official SDK, generic android adb for within android and android bootloader for fastboot

EDIT

Yaaas!! recovery replaced :)
    ok, deleting or renaming /etc/install-recover.sh appears to have stopped custom recovery being changed back to stock after reboot, I used the recovery builder to make a build from partition 8, which it did without error, flashed using the above commands.​

Still don't know what im doing though, but progress is progress :D

ill post a link to the custom recovery ive made soon, we need to make up some fstab file listing all the mounts etc, i tried one but it must be borked as recovery couldnt see anything​