[Q] Gaining S Off in HBOOT 2.19 to get WiFi working

Search This thread

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Hello one and all!

So I have been playing with new ROM's for my EVO Supersonic. My Daily Driver is AlienwareMod Solar Flare Series V and LOVE it!
So I have been given an old EVO was going to play with it and explore new ROM's. I had rooted it about 2 years ago and she kept stock Sense on it so for some reason I left S-On. Although I am unlocked in the bootloader, and I have been reading on several forums that I dont need to have S Off anymore to load a rom, I seem to be having a common problem that I have been reading about. I can load custom ROM's on just fine, but when I fire up the WiFi the system slows down, and the WiFi cant lock on to a SSID. know the SSID sites are good and I have been trying to narrow donn the problem and have it down to these...

1. I need to achieve S-Off. Although I have many of files for when I did my personal root/unlock I dont have the all and MikMik's site dosnt have hem anymore.

2. I have partitiond a small 2G SD card with Ext3. The Kernel may not tolerate this? I have the stock Lionfish on but have tried others with no sccess on Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4 formatting.

3. I have not 'actvated' the phone on my Sprint Account. Is there maybe some files it would need to download?

4. Recovery. I am using ZZzRemove to really clean the phone... and use the 'Stock" ammon Ra to wipe x3. I prefer SmelMod but cant load a new recovery becuase it locks with a message PC360IMG Parcing.

5. HBOOT 2.18. I think i remember something about how this was locked??

I am thinking I will need to do a RUU to get an earlier version of HBOOT in order to get SOFF. But again, is that mission critical to getting the WiFi to work?

So I am stuck with a bit of a mental bootloop! Any thoughts would be welcome! Screenshots will be loaded of my Recovery and Bootloader upon request......

Thanks!

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Your issue sounds like it could be hardware-related. Whether or not you're S-off should have no bearing on how well WiFi works. S-off simply means that the bootloader security is off and should not affect how or when WiFi works. As far as the files needed to gain S-off, shoot @Captain_Throwback a PM. He was the OP of the thread over on the MikMik page regarding rooting & S-off with the latest Hboot. As far as running a older RUU, you won't be able to since you're S-on.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
First of all it is an honor to have you reply Captain! I have been going over a lot of posts on here for a few years and have seen much of your handywork. I know the link you sent very well, that is what I used to Root/Rom my Daily Driver Evo with great success!

I will go back and revisit it again, but according to all the comments so far, I wont need S-Off since I wont be doing too many flashes. What is keeping me from just running the Revolutionary Utility is because it seems the S-Off utility requres HBOOT 2.16 or lower.

If I could, a few thoughts. I know that S-Off doesnt driectly affect the WiFi but I was curious if it was a Kernel issue and I have read that you cannot load a kernel successfully without a custorm, quality recovery and you cannot load a recovery without S-Off. I know when I had the phone at first I could jump on WiFi's easy-peasy... but when I loaded any ROMS (Sense, non Sense, JB variants etc etc.) the WiFi's just wont fire up or connect.

Ironicly, I was messing with the phone with a Odexed Sense Rom (rooted stock) it did connect today (after giving hassle for 2 days I just put it down and left it for a while). Maybe I am just being impatient? I have read that sometimes new ROM's and kernels take a few days to 'settle' in. Sorta like the Matrix!!

As an asside.. .and not part of this thread..... With Kit Kat using ART and not Devalk is there hope new life with these older phones?

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
First of all it is an honor to have you reply Captain! I have been going over a lot of posts on here for a few years and have seen much of your handywork. I know the link you sent very well, that is what I used to Root/Rom my Daily Driver Evo with great success!

I will go back and revisit it again, but according to all the comments so far, I wont need S-Off since I wont be doing too many flashes. What is keeping me from just running the Revolutionary Utility is because it seems the S-Off utility requres HBOOT 2.16 or lower.

If I could, a few thoughts. I know that S-Off doesnt driectly affect the WiFi but I was curious if it was a Kernel issue and I have read that you cannot load a kernel successfully without a custorm, quality recovery and you cannot load a recovery without S-Off. I know when I had the phone at first I could jump on WiFi's easy-peasy... but when I loaded any ROMS (Sense, non Sense, JB variants etc etc.) the WiFi's just wont fire up or connect.

Ironicly, I was messing with the phone with a Odexed Sense Rom (rooted stock) it did connect today (after giving hassle for 2 days I just put it down and left it for a while). Maybe I am just being impatient? I have read that sometimes new ROM's and kernels take a few days to 'settle' in. Sorta like the Matrix!!

As an asside.. .and not part of this thread..... With Kit Kat using ART and not Devalk is there hope new life with these older phones?

Thanks to all!

You can install a custom recovery without being S-off. You can install it from the SD card via the bootloader or by using fastboot commands. From there you can flash a custom kernel. You obviously have a custom recovery installed already if you are flashing ROM's. I never flashed any custom kernels on my EVO when I ran Sense, but it helps to read the OP of any ROM or kernel thread to make sure that there aren't any issues with Wifi functionality. Do you have issues with a particular router you're trying to connect to or just Wifi in general? Did you have issues with WiFi when the phone was totally stock?

Last edited:

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
You can install a custom recovery without being S-off. You can install it from the SD card via the bootloader or by using fastboot commands. From there you can flash a custom kernel. You obviously have a custom recovery installed already if you are flashing ROM's. I never flashed any custom kernels on my EVO when I ran Sense, but it helps to read the OP of any ROM or kernel thread to make sure that there aren't any issues with Wifi functionality. Do you have issues with a particular router you're trying to connect to or just Wifi in general? Did you have issues with WiFi when the phone was totally stock?

Great questions! Let me give you some answers!!

I rooted this phone about 2 years ago so dont remember all of my handywork. It is running

*****UNLOCKED******
HBoot- 2.18.0001
Radio - 2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21 2011

I probably used Revolution to do so. I did it with mine! When I got this phone a month ago, I factory reset it and Launched WiFi with no problems. I was using my home router which has had no problems with any other devices.

Only when I started to flash a ROM (I have tried team DIRT unofficial 4.2.2 as well as Thundershock, Nitro, and Jellybread) they all would load fine and be responsive until I tried to launch the WiFi and then it would either be stuck on scanning, or just drop out and then the operating system becomes unstable.

I then went back to a Sense Odexed Stock Gingerbread ROM and although I saw the WiFI launch and connect, it would drop out every few minutes.

I couldnt make a Nandroid since the recovery doesnt have that option. I am using RA-supersonice-v2.3 with ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE to flash.

I cant seem to load any other recoveries. I thought it was because I am still S-ON. It says Main Version is Older Update Fail! And that is using the RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD

Any thoughts? I am willing to accept bad hardware, but seems like a weird coincidence that all of a sudden the WiFi would drop out.

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Answered my own question

Update!

Well I have successfully ported my operating system to the new(er) EVO 4G that I got from my friend. Looks like I needed to contact Sprint and have them help me reset the PRL and MEID. The problem was I had to quick flash a Sense ROM in order to use the dial pad to input all the codes.

After that, I seems the ROM (Solar Flare Series V) is much more stable, and I think everyone else is right, the hardware may have issues since the Bluetooth and the WiFi seem to be dropping in and out.

And so... looks like I may load this up with a Media Based ROM to act as an entertainment device and looking to go jump on a Samsung Note 3.

If only I could somehow install a LTE receiver chip! Maybe I will post that question as a new thread.

:D

Top Liked Posts