Lapdock HDMI

Search This thread

AnguishedEnd

Apr 22, 2011
Toronto
Hey kxxstarr, how is using the lapdock with the Xbox 360? I was interested in doing this as well! Are there any major issues with the video? A video of it in action would be amazing!

phire420

Oct 3, 2008
Has anyone figured out a way to mute the sound on the lap dock? I'm using an Xbox 360 and apparently there is no way to mute the sound in the settings of the Xbox.

unfortunately, no. no way to control the audio or speakers. the android shortcuts would only work with an android device hooked up.

shibbybypass

Oct 11, 2008
hmmm i wonder if there is another way to do this. i do not have an atrix (or any other lapdock compatible phone) to try this with. any ideas?

You could get a micro usb to usb adapter and plug it into a pc or maybe even to your 360. It should activate the keyboard and have full controls. Only a theory though.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

phire420

Oct 3, 2008
If you read the first page I stated that usb does infact work.

Yep, I did. He didn't.

You could get a micro usb to usb adapter and plug it into a pc or maybe even to your 360. It should activate the keyboard and have full controls. Only a theory though.

Screw both of you guys, I've read this entire thread more than once.

I only asked because no one specifically addressed controlling the volume and brightness of the screen from a usb host -other- than the atrix itself. and because i do not own an atrix I was only recently aware the phone even COULD control the volume and screen brightness.

Im still not sure it can be done? Are you saying/'theorizing' that an android phones vol+ and vol-, and and the brightness sliders can be mapped or emulated by a usb host and should just work?? perhaps you can explain to me how this would work, or how this question is covered in the first post. i dont understand the condescending tone.

I am fully aware of the USB HID Keyboard functionality. Ive contributed to the thread. Throwing **** out there and then acting like an ass isnt very helpful, especially when you dont really know the answer to the question posed.

EDIT: OK Im an idiot. I get it, the host isnt controlling it, only possibly activating the function keys. Ill try it.

Last edited:

shibbybypass

Oct 11, 2008
Screw both of you guys, I've read this entire thread more than once.

I only asked because no one specifically addressed controlling the volume and brightness of the screen from a usb host -other- than the atrix itself. and because i do not own an atrix I was only recently aware the phone even COULD control the volume and screen brightness.

Im still not sure it can be done? Are you saying/'theorizing' that an android phones vol+ and vol-, and and the brightness sliders can be mapped or emulated by a usb host and should just work?? perhaps you can explain to me how this would work, or how this question is covered in the first post. i dont understand the condescending tone.

I am fully aware of the USB HID Keyboard functionality. Ive contributed to the thread. Throwing **** out there and then acting like an ass isnt very helpful, especially when you dont really know the answer to the question posed.

EDIT: OK Im an idiot. I get it, the host isnt controlling it, only possibly activating the function keys. Ill try it.

I only said in theory because I am not sure if the 360 would recognize it. I don't want to tell you for sure for something I haven't tested.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

Mar 12, 2011
I hate to derail this thread, but can anybody confirm what happens when you attempt to use HDMI mirroring with the lapdock? More specifically, does the lapdock retain trackpad and keyboard functionality on the Atrix, even without webtop? It would also be helpful to mention if you are on a Blurred or CM -based ROM

I kind of want to get one of these since they're so cheap, but I would much rather use the phone itself without all that webtop crap getting in my way.

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
The trackpad is so bad you won't want to use it. Even in fullscreen phone view, it really, really sucks... even with a mouse it feels very unnatural. Its just like using the android emulator on x86.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk on AT&T, the company that disappoints me so much that I have to use my tapatalk signature to tell everyone

youareme7

Mar 30, 2010
Madison, WI
I hate to derail this thread, but can anybody confirm what happens when you attempt to use HDMI mirroring with the lapdock? More specifically, does the lapdock retain trackpad and keyboard functionality on the Atrix, even without webtop? It would also be helpful to mention if you are on a Blurred or CM -based ROM

I kind of want to get one of these since they're so cheap, but I would much rather use the phone itself without all that webtop crap getting in my way.

Here's a guide from someone else that's kinda got it working. It seems pretty janky and I haven't tried myself yet though.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1472382

So far only "blurred" ROMs can do this as nobody has been able to get landscape mirroring working on a CM rom.

Mar 12, 2011
Well, actually the latest CM weekly has LS HDMI mirroring, so the idea was to get the lapdock to hold me over until the eight core convertible tablets (the form factor of the Transformer Prime) start coming out. So would anybody be so kind as to test this with Cyanogenmod, Neutrino, etc.?

MyronJ906

Apr 22, 2008
Well, actually the latest CM weekly has LS HDMI mirroring, so the idea was to get the lapdock to hold me over until the eight core convertible tablets (the form factor of the Transformer Prime) start coming out. So would anybody be so kind as to test this with Cyanogenmod, Neutrino, etc.?

Latest weekly has LS HDMI?! :D does it work well on a TV? If so, I would be glad to try. I'll even post a video if I get it working since I wrote the previously linked guide anyway (btw, thanks for linking it earlier youareme7)

Edit: I don't think my trick will work since it does not attempt to load Webtop. But maybe there is some other trickery. I'll nandroid backup my current Wet Dream (just set it up this morning too :( and give it a go anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairsofter1138
Mar 12, 2011
So is there any news on this? My thinking was that it might recognize the trackpad and keyboard as USB accessories, assuming that portions of the webtop framework were ported over for use in HDMI mirroring. Also, my mistake: the current version of Neutrino is still based on weekly 5, and LS HDMI mirroring was introduced in weekly 6.

MyronJ906

Apr 22, 2008
So is there any news on this? My thinking was that it might recognize the trackpad and keyboard as USB accessories, assuming that portions of the webtop framework were ported over for use in HDMI mirroring. Also, my mistake: the current version of Neutrino is still based on weekly 5, and LS HDMI mirroring was introduced in weekly 6.

I'm sure you know by now, but I'll update for anyone who hasn't been reading the CM threads.

In weekly 7, HDMI mirroring on the lapdock works just fine with no need for modification. You literally just put the Atrix on the dock and it works with mouse, keyboard, and audio through the dock

youareme7

Mar 30, 2010
Madison, WI
I'm sure you know by now, but I'll update for anyone who hasn't been reading the CM threads.

In weekly 7, HDMI mirroring on the lapdock works just fine with no need for modification. You literally just put the Atrix on the dock and it works with mouse, keyboard, and audio through the dock

Is yours all pixelated and blurry too? I thought for some reason it would match the resolution of the screen but it seems like it's just stretching. I'm trying to get used to using it with LS mirroring but I have to say so far the experience leaves a lot to be desired. Do you have any tips or tricks for how you use the lapdock effectively?

MyronJ906

Apr 22, 2008
Is yours all pixelated and blurry too? I thought for some reason it would match the resolution of the screen but it seems like it's just stretching. I'm trying to get used to using it with LS mirroring but I have to say so far the experience leaves a lot to be desired. Do you have any tips or tricks for how you use the lapdock effectively?

I used LCD Density Modder Pro to change my DPI from 240 to 175. For me, it's a decent size for both lapdock and regular phone use but that might not be the case for everyone else. Even 200 helps a bit with the pixelated look.

That's probably the most helpful thing, You kind of have to adjust the way you think about using a computer when you use the lapdock.

For example, if you click in a text box it will bring up your softkeyboard which you don't need. So then pressing ESC fixes that. I guess overall, it's kind of weird but good for playing games or webbrowsing. Once I changed my density, I didn't really have any problems with it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that the lapdock does indeed work as a hdmi monitor and usb mouse / keyboard, I had some spare time and tried it out.

*update*
    I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

here's a video of it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0

I sent an email to sparkfun inquiring about a micro hdmi female breakout board and here's they're response:

Level 1 level1@sparkfun.com to me

show details 2:33 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your breakout board product suggestion. You bring up a great point about seeing this type of connection more and more. I will forward it on the appropriate people to see if this is something we can make and carry. Thank you again and have a great day!

Take care,
    Pamela

Hopefully we see something from this.
    It'd be awesome if you could post some pictures, such as a game console or camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0 go here, I just made a simple video demo'ing it working with my ps3.
    What kind of usb slicing is involved?

I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.
    The lapdock is pretty much a dummy usb kb/mouse & hdmi display. We're pointing out different things that could be done w/ it. Ie, a very small system on chip w/ usb ports & an hdmi out would allow the lapdock to be used as a cheap & light netbook-y unit w/o the phone plugged in.

But mainly, it's the fact that you can use the lapdock as an 11" hdmi monitor w/ audio for pretty much anything. :)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Latest weekly has LS HDMI?! :D does it work well on a TV? If so, I would be glad to try. I'll even post a video if I get it working since I wrote the previously linked guide anyway (btw, thanks for linking it earlier youareme7)

Edit: I don't think my trick will work since it does not attempt to load Webtop. But maybe there is some other trickery. I'll nandroid backup my current Wet Dream (just set it up this morning too :( and give it a go anyway)