[Q] 4.29.12 Simon's Sense 3.5v2 ROM stuck on "opening update package"

Search This thread

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
First off I'd like to preface this by saying that I love having an Android & I am so grateful for the devs out there that put in endless hours of work for the community.

I am a n00b, but have successfully flashed ROMs on various devices... moto backflip, triumph, nook color...

I currently have an HTC Wildfire S on VMUSA.

Here are other stats:

• MARVELC PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
    HBOOT-1.06.000
    MICROP-0354
    RADIO-0.94.00.0824
    AUG 15 2011,22:34:38
  • CWM v5.0.2.8
  • 32gb SD CARD [FAT32/EXT-2 VIA MINI PARTITION TOOL ON WIN7]
  • MAC OSX LION
  • WINDOWS 7 [VIA PARALLELS]

Attempted the following:

1. wipe data/factory reset in CWM
  2. wipe dalvik cache
  3. ran SuperWipeMarvelcEdition.zip (completed successfully)
  4. then tried to install "simonsense3.5v.2.zip" and the following happens:

"--Installing: /sdcard/ROMs/simonsense3.5v2.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package... (it will either hang here or...)
Installing update..." (it will hang here and then reboot itself into CWM recovery)

I tried flashing simon's v.1 of this ROM a few weeks ago and gave up because I couldn't get it to work and it took me many tries to get it back to the stock ROM. I tried searching on the forums for any issues like mine but haven't found any, and I tried all of the recommendations I could find.

Please let me know if you need any additional information!

Thanks so much!!

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
You may want to try just redownload the zip file (if you haven't already.)

Also, how did you get S-OFF? Was it Goldcard method or did you receive the phone as S-OFF?

And finally, thank you for detailed information about your phone, computer, and the steps you have tried to fix the issue. It makes troubleshooting much easier!

Reactions: heatherelane

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010

Also, how did you get S-OFF? Was it Goldcard method or did you receive the phone as S-OFF?

And finally, thank you for detailed information about your phone, computer, and the steps you have tried to fix the issue. It makes troubleshooting much easier!

I haven't tried re-downloading it, I will do that right now. 9:23PM redownloaded and flashed another copy...still hangs at "opening update package..."

I used the Goldcard method from this thread: (google: 452087-tutorials-roms-team-marvelusc-everything-you-need it won't let me post a link because i'm new to the forum)
and you're welcome! :) I appreciate the time that experienced users take to help out people like me and want to make it as quick & painless as possible!

EDIT: i attached a zip of the recovery.log from CWM from one of the first times I tried to flash the ROM...don't know if it helps.[/COLOR]

Attachments

• recovery.log.zip
    2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
I haven't tried re-downloading it, I will do that right now. I used the Goldcard method from this thread: (google: 452087-tutorials-roms-team-marvelusc-everything-you-need it won't let me post a link because i'm new to the forum)
and you're welcome! :) I appreciate the time that experienced users take to help out people like me and want to make it as quick & painless as possible!

EDIT: i attached a zip of the recovery.log from CWM from one of the first times I tried to flash the ROM...don't know if it helps.[/COLOR]

Thank you for that link. And if you would, just post back on how the re-download goes. Personally, I didn't see anything in the recovery.log, but maybe a more experienced user would.

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
Are you downloading from your computer then putting it on your SD then flashing or are you using ROM Manager?

Have you tried any other ROMs? Try flashing CM7 (make a backup in Recovery first).
CM7 Link

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
Are you downloading from your computer then putting it on your SD then flashing or are you using ROM Manager?

Have you tried any other ROMs? Try flashing CM7 (make a backup in Recovery first).

I first downloaded on my phone and flashed using ROM manager, but this time I downloaded from computer and transferred to SD card using a usb sdcard reader.

downloaded CM7 now. I had CM7 on my Triumph, is this build ok for daily use?

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
I first downloaded on my phone and flashed using ROM manager, but this time I downloaded from computer and transferred to SD card using a usb sdcard reader.

This build is pretty good. It has some MMS and WiFi issues, but until Sense 3.5, this was the only ROM I'd use. In fact, I'm using it right now. You'll need to flash the gapps package from Recovery if you do CM7 (which I'm sure you know, since you had CM7 before.)

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
This build is pretty good. It has some MMS and WiFi issues, but until Sense 3.5, this was the only ROM I'd use. In fact, I'm using it right now. You'll need to flash the gapps package from Recovery if you do CM7 (which I'm sure you know, since you had CM7 before.)

awesome, I might just stick with this. I don't use MMS anyway...what wifi issues are there? I barely get any service in my apartment so I am usually on wifi here.

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
awesome, I might just stick with this. I don't use MMS anyway...what wifi issues are there? I barely get any service in my apartment so I am usually on wifi here.

I actually haven't had many Wi-Fi issues, but they've been reported. The thread can be found here. Usually I'll lose WiFi if the phone has been locked for awhile. A quick fix I'll do is Settings>Wireless & Networks>WiFi. Then I'll toggle it off then on and it'll work fine.

Did it flash or have you tried yet?

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
I actually haven't had many Wi-Fi issues, but they've been reported. The thread can be found here. Usually I'll lose WiFi if the phone has been locked for awhile. A quick fix I'll do is Settings>Wireless & Networks>WiFi. Then I'll toggle it off then on and it'll work fine.

just downloaded, flashing now. it's currently on "Installing update..."

latest gapps is still 20110828?

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010

it restarts in the middle of installing :( should I try a newer version of CWM? I'm on 5.0.2.8.

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
it restarts in the middle of installing :( should I try a newer version of CWM? I'm on 5.0.2.8.

What happens if you just reboot the phone? Is it the previous ROM or does it fail to boot?

5.0.2.8 is the latest official version for the Marvelc. I am using a not-so-stable touch recovery koush made before realizing Marvelc is mdpi.

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
What happens if you just reboot the phone? Is it the previous ROM or does it fail to boot?

5.0.2.8 is the latest official version for the Marvelc. I am using a not-so-stable touch recovery koush made before realizing Marvelc is mdpi.

It fails to boot :(. tried again and now it's hanging at "Opening update package..."

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
Alright, let's try redownloading the recovery (http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvelc.zip). Then re-flashing the recovery.

Download that file.
Power off phone.
Reboot to HBOOT (Power + Vol. Down)
Choose Fastboot

Open Terminal/Command Prompt
Code:
fastboot flash recovery <path-to-file>
Where, of course, <path-to-file> is the actual path and don't actually put the angle brackets.

>< sorry...can you back up a few steps...I think I need to install your scripts first from your signature?

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
If you do not have ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer, then yes, you will need to run those scripts.
Simply open Terminal (they're Mac- and Linux-only) and drag and drop the "ADB Install Mac.sh" into the window. Then hit enter.

Edit: Do the following ONLY if you get a permssion error.
If it says something about permission denied, type
Code:
chmod 755 <path-to-directory>/*
chmod 755 <path-to-directory>/*.*
Note, do not do the file, but the directory their in. For example, if they're on your desktop, do "chmod 755 ~/Desktop/Android/*".

Last edited:

junxracr

Dec 12, 2010
I had problems with koush recovery. So I've stuck with alquez unofficial recovery. No problems at all and I do a ton of flashing. It's better imho ;)

Sent from my HTC_A510c using XDA App

heatherelane

Jul 25, 2010
If you do not have ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer, then yes, you will need to run those scripts.
Simply open Terminal (they're Mac- and Linux-only) and drag and drop the "ADB Install Mac.sh" into the window. Then hit enter.

Edit: Do the following ONLY if you get a permssion error.
If it says something about permission denied, type
Code:
chmod 755 <path-to-directory>/*
chmod 755 <path-to-directory>/*.*
Note, do not do the file, but the directory their in. For example, if they're on your desktop, do "chmod 755 ~/Desktop/Android/*".

ok it installed no problem, no permissions error. but now I get this error...

hlane$ fastboot flash recovery /Users/hlane/Downloads/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvelc.zip
sending 'recovery' (2014 KB)...
FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.000s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had problems with koush recovery. So I've stuck with alquez unofficial recovery. No problems at all and I do a ton of flashing. It's better imho ;)

Sent from my HTC_A510c using XDA App
    Edit: I didn't see your most recent post. Just a second.

The "FAILED (remote:not allowed) is a problem. I had that issue when I was Ship S-OFF. Part of the problem is that HBOOT 1.06.0000 does not support a lot of fastboot commands.

The best thing to do would be to go with junxracr's advice and install Alquez's Unofficial Recovery. This a PG76IMG.zip. Put it on the root of your SD card and go to HBOOT. HBOOT will parse it and then you can install it (I don't remember the exact steps).
    This should flash the recovery and not be an issue. If it gives you a "Security Flag" or "Secu Flag" error, you may upgrade your HBOOT.