[Discontinued][ROM][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 with CAF 3.4.0 kernel [November 25, 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jsjjcky

May 15, 2010
I suppose. This uses a different kernel from Team-SennyC2 that I patched from scratch from Sebastian's 3.4 kernel. It's similar to the Team-SennyC2 kernel/ROM but there are a few huge differences: 3.0 PMEM camera libraries, 3.0 PMEM camera drivers, 3.0 video controller drivers, PMEM heap allocations for the camera, and 596MB of RAM. Team-SennyC2 and all other 3.4 ROMs use ION camera, not PMEM.

Camera is fully functional (front facing camera, focus, camcorder, you name it) as it uses my work with PMEM and ION in my 3.0 kernel. Camera functionality is at the exact same level as my other CM11 ROM (so no autofocus).

The kernel also has fastcharge and sweep2wake.

Sorry for asking. But in the Notable features, you said "Uses Ion memory allocator for everything: audio, display, video playback, camera, etc."
So, does the camera really use ION or PMEM

nasif69

Sep 27, 2012
Dhaka
Rom is very smooth. Only problem that I am facing is very low ringtone volume.

Any solution for this?

demanzke

May 27, 2009
Do we have to wait for update in next few days (for fixes), or is it possible flash this rom/kernel right now and use it as your 3.0 ROM ?

I just flashed the ROM over the latest 3.0 build. So far it is working flawless and the performance is great! Don't just rely on my word though, make a backup as I did.

@Sultanxda it seems you overlooked something in the kernel installer compiling this amazing ROM. The default display undervolt is 400 mV, where it was reduced to 250 in the 3.0 builds. Thanks for the great work again!

EDIT: It seems that the kernel doesn't have mpdecision yet, is that faulty reporting on my end and if not, are you planning on implementing it in future builds?

Last edited:

kastlell

Jan 27, 2014
No, I spent several hours making the exact same ROM/kernel

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

So if you get CM11 from same repo are you using Flemmards fixes in certain areas instead of Flemmards full kernel? That's the difference? Sorry for my ignorance but as a user I'd preffer a serius response instead of a ironic one. Thanks.

Reactions: Kierek

oblitus

Oct 10, 2012
Bursa
Really great work. Smooth, responsive and most stable KK build so far. I haven't had any CM freeze bug until now!

But low sound of ringtone and notifications is a problem for me :/

Sajito

Sep 1, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    android1-7_CM11_Header_Img1.png

CyanogenMod (pronounced /saɪ.'æn.oʊ.dʒɛn.mɒd/) is an enhanced open source firmware distribution for smartphones and tablet computers based on the Android mobile operating system. It offers features and options not found in the official firmware distributed by vendors of these devices.

Features supported by CyanogenMod include native theming support, FLAC audio codec support, a large Access Point Name list, an OpenVPN client, an enhanced reboot menu, support for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB tethering, CPU overclocking and other performance enhancements, soft buttons and other "tablet tweaks", toggles in the notification pull-down (such as wi-fi, Bluetooth and GPS), app permissions management, as well as other interface enhancements. CyanogenMod does not contain spyware or bloatware. In many cases, CyanogenMod may increase performance and reliability compared with official firmware releases.

CyanogenMod is developed as free and open source software based on the official releases of Android by Google, with added original and third-party code.

Source: CyanogenMod Wiki

Notable features:
    • Uses 3.4.0 kernel based off of pure CAF KitKat sources (∞ thanks to Flemmard and shantur for their amazing fixes; read the 4th post for an explanation on what CAF means)
    • 613MB of usable RAM
    • Self-powered USB OTG
    • Uses Ion memory allocator for everything: audio, display, video playback, camera, etc. (big thanks to shantur, Flemmard, and SebastiaFM for Ion camera)
    • CAF KitKat Ion, framebuffer, video controller drivers, media HAL, and display HAL
    • CAF Jelly Bean GPU drivers (from CAF branch jb_2.5)
    • Hardware vsync
    • No Maps 7 glitches, Google Chrome glitches, Browser glitches, Gmail glitches, etc.
    • SELinux (Security-Enhanced Linux) enabled and set to Enforcing for better security
    • MTP
    • Newer Adreno graphics libraries (smoother graphics): AU_LINUX_ANDROID_JB_2.5.5.04.02.02.092.059
    • 4.0.0056HMQ RIL

Minor bugs:
    • Some issues with VoIP reported (this happens with all KitKat ROMs on the Sensation)
    • Shortcuts for apps stored on SD card disappear from the launcher homescreen after a reboot (also happens with all KitKat ROMs on the Sensation)

Video (thanks to @EZY-E!)

Installation:

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to do a standard full wipe (factory reset: wipe /cache and /data) if you are coming from a different ROM, then install the ROM and gapps for Android 4.4. If you're coming from a CM10.2 ROM then it is possible to dirty flash this ROM over your current setup and install gapps for 4.4 without wiping anything; HOWEVER, if you encounter ANY issues with this setup then I will not help you fix them. I will only listen to your issues if you perform a full wipe before installing this ROM for the first time. When there is an update available it is OK to dirty-flash the update, but don't forget to wipe /cache and Dalvik cache.

Detailed installation steps:
    1. Download and install the latest 4ext recovery from HERE (you must have v1.0.0.6 RC2 or newer installed)
    2. Download the ROM and Gapps (Google apps)
    3. Reboot to recovery
    4. Perform a full wipe (you should only need to do this if this is your first time installing the ROM)
    5. Flash the ROM zip
    6. Flash the gapps zip
    7. OPTIONAL: Flash the kernel Aroma installer if you want to customize the kernel's settings
    8. Reboot
    9. ???
    10. Profit
    11. Move profits to Swiss banks to evade taxes

Source:
    Sultan kernel CAF 3.4 (cm-11.0 branch): https://github.com/sultanxda/sultan-kernel-pyramid-CAF-3.4
    Device tree (cm-11.0 branch): https://github.com/sultanxda/android_device_htc_pyramid
    Vendor binaries (cm-11.0 branch): https://github.com/sultanxda/android_vendor_htc
    My manifest (cm-11.0 branch): https://github.com/sultanxda/Android

Credits (in no particular order):

The CyanogenMod team
    All CyanogenMod contributors
    CAF (Code Aurora Forum, these are Qualcomm engineers)
    HTCZ715E
    johnnyslt
    Blefish
    professorpasta
    CRACING (for the banner on top of the thread)
    paulb-nl
    bilalliberty
    SebastianFM
    Flemmard
    shantur
    ivanich
    PA for the gapps
    bastei
    liquid64
    Mark376
    me :cowboy:

If I forgot you then slap me and force me to use an iPhone 4 running iOS8

Downloads:
    Please read through the OP before posting in the thread.
    You must have 4ext recovery v1.0.0.6 RC2 or newer in order to install this ROM. Otherwise you will get a status 0 error upon installation.

ROM: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=21307&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC
    Google Apps: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=15801
    Kernel Aroma installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=21764&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM11 with CAF 3.4.0 kernel, ROM for the HTC Sensation

Contributors
    Sultanxda
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-11-16
    Last Updated 2014-12-07
    Changelog:

November 25, 2014:
    Kernel-only:
    Sultan kernel CAF v1.2.1:
    *Removed zRAM, zsmalloc, and swap (fixes the freezes)

November 25, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Latest upstream CyanogenMod changes
    *Enabled zRAM by default (with 40% compression and Google's recommended settings)
    *Enabled KSM by default (with Google's recommended settings)
    *Made CPU input-boosting less aggressive for better battery life

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel CAF v1.2.0:
    *Fixed green artifacts in recorded videos
    *611MB of RAM
    *Removed CPU-boost framework
    *Added CPU Input Boost driver (newer version of CPU-boost framework--more robust)
    *Added swap, zRAM, zsmalloc, and KSM support
    *Updated zRAM from CAF
    *Updated zsmalloc from CAF
    *Updated KSM from CAF (deferred timer support, which reduces KSM's power usage)

November 16, 2014:
    ROM:
    (This changelog shows all of the collective changes from the past few months)
    November 15, 2014:
    *Fixed USB tethering (credit: ivanich)
    *Fixed random shutdowns (credit: flemmard)

November 13, 2014:
    *Fixed Ondemand governor settings not being applied at boot
    *Added VoIP fixes (credit: ivanich)

November 12, 2014:
    *Fixed charging LED turning green when battery reached 90% (now the charging LED stays red until battery reaches 100%)
    *Upgraded Adreno graphics libraries (smoother graphics and this fixes the Asphalt 8 force closes)
    *Removed power HAL
    *Fixed infamous bug where sound came out of the speaker and headphones at the same time (this fixes the "Ok Google" bug where sound came out of the speakers while listening to music; sound will never come out of both the speakers and headphones at the same time now)
    *Decreased boot time
    *Increased performance of Ondemand CPU governor
    *Cleaned up 89z_kernel init.d script
    *Disabled denoise setting for camera (credit: ivanich)
    *Added Device Settings app for display color control (credit: johnnyslt)
    *Enabled ZSL (zero shutter-lag) in the stock camera app (credit: ivanich)

July 25, 2014:
    *Removed GooManager (it's buggier than healthcare.gov)

June 20, 2014:
    *Android 4.4.4
    *Fixed front-facing camcorder force close
    *Added new rear-camcorder resolutions: QVGA and QCIF
    *Added new front-facing camcorder resolution: CIF
    *Forcefully silenced media process force closes due to physical SD card

June 15, 2014:
    *Fixed manual mobile-network scanning (shantur)

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel CAF v1.1.0:
    *Updated kernel source to upstream CAF (version AU_LINUX_ANDROID_KK_2.7_RB1.04.04.04.007.067)
    *Added battery driver refresh rate increase for more accurate battery percentage
    *Removed input boosting from Ondemand governor
    *Implemented CPU-boost framework (read FAQ to learn more)
    *Added input boosting to CPU-boost framework (the CPU is boosted whenever you touch the screen)
    *CPU is automagically boosted to 1296MHz for 2.5 seconds every time the screen is touched (this makes everything feel very smooth)
    *Re-wrote thermal driver (fixed many bugs)
    *Maxfreq & minfreq of CPU1 are now synced with CPU0
    *Flash LEDs are set to low power when battery reaches 35% or lower (this fixes the hard shutdowns when taking pictures with flash on low battery)
    *Downgraded GPU drivers from CAF kk_2.7 to CAF jb_2.5 (this fixes the constant-force-closing issue)
    *Cleaned out some useless drivers
    *Removed kernel-based mpdecision
    *Added support for ROM-based mpdecision binary (ROM-based mpdecision uses less battery)
    *Self-powered USB OTG
    *n_tty: Fix n_tty_write crash when echoing in raw mode (Peter Hurley)
    *Fixed display underrun; graphics are smoother (Steve Kondik)
    *Fixed rare graphical glitch (Steve Kondik)
    *Removed fastcharge
    *Forced AC charge mode over USB by default (you cannot change this)
    *Disabled panel undervolt by default
    *Replaced battery drivers with the ones from the 3.0 kernel (as we are using the battery daemon designed for 3.0)

Old changelogs:

June 14, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Android 4.4.3
    *Fixed manual mobile-network scanning (shantur)
    *Fixed front-facing camcorder with stock camera app
    *Fixed missing VGA/480p front-facing camcorder resolution in Google Camera
    *Added support for FFMPEG codecs (Mark376)

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel Pure CAF v1.0.4:
    *Synced with CAF kk_2.7-stable branch
    *Re-enabled eMMC background operations
    *Increased GPU memory (needed for GPU-driver updates)
    *Shifted kernel start address to 0x40400000
    *Added 3 more memory banks to utilize more RAM
    *620MB of RAM
    *Updated WiFi drivers from Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.3 kernel release

May 25, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Switched back to old audio calibration
    *Fixed booting issue caused by fstab changes in previous build

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel Pure CAF v1.0.3:
    *Updated power-management architecture from Flemmard & CAF
    *Parse correct audio calibration file (fixes low speaker volume)
    *Fixed laggy animations when screen brightness changed (credit: intervigil)

May 24, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Switched to by-name partition scheme (Flemmard & Mark376)
    *Updated included 89z_kernel init.d script

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel Pure CAF v1.0.2:
    *Removed SweepTooBuggy
    *Synced framebuffer drivers with CAF kk_2.7-stable branch
    *Fixed unbalanced dsi clock in framebuffer drivers

May 23, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Notable upstream change: phone crash on status bar pull down fixed
    *Added high-brightness mode to Torch
    *Added audio calibration from Shantur

Kernel:
    Sultan kernel Pure CAF v1.0.1:
    *Added Sweep2Vomit (more commonly known as Sweep2Wake)
    *Removed lots of excessive debugging and other garbage
    *Synced with CAF kk_2.7-stable branch
    *Fixed n_tty_write crash when echoing in raw mode (peterhurley)
    *Fixed WiFi issues
    *Improved power management
    *607MB of RAM

May 15, 2014:
    ROM:
    *Initial release with CAF kernel

Kernel:
    *Initial release of 3.4.0 kernel based off of pure CAF KitKat 2.7_rb1.38 source
    *Made possible by drivers and fixes by Flemmard
    Kernel features and details

This is a 3.4 kernel based off of pure CAF KitKat (kk_2.7-stable) kernel source with these features:
    • Fully-synced with the latest changes from Qualcomm (CAF)
    • 620MB of RAM
    • WiFi drivers from Google's Nexus 5 kernel
    • Display undervolting
    • Basic color control (choose between regular and cooler colors)
    • Lots of debugging garbage removed
    • CPU overclocking up to 1.836GHz
    • GPU overclocking up to 320MHz
    • Full Ion
    • Self-powered USB OTG
    • More accurate battery percentage readings
    • AC charge speed over USB (fastcharge)
    • 620MB of usable RAM
    • CPU-boost framework (boosts the CPU when the screen is touched and during certain strenuous activities)
    • Display undervolting by up to 700mV
    • Kernel-based thermald
    • Basic display color control (choose between regular and cooler colors)
    • Lots of debugging garbage removed
    • No kernel modules (greater security)
    • SELinux
    New build updated. Don't get too excited, I still haven't been able to fix any of the critical issues plaguing this kernel. Let's recap what's broken with this ROM/kernel:

• Incorrect CPU temperature is being reported (temps are reported as too high)
    • High battery drain while screen is on
    • Random shutdowns (might be caused by incorrect CPU temps being reported because a formal shutdown command is being sent; it isn't a true "random" shutdown)
    • Issues with USB with some computers reported
    • Phone gets too hot
    • USB tethering completely broken
    • Random reboots
    FAQ

What is CAF? What do you mean when you say that you have made a pure CAF kernel?
    Answer: CAF = Code Aurora Forum. CAF is where Qualcomm engineers work to optimize the Linux kernel exclusively for Qualcomm chipsets. Device manufacturers use the kernel source from CAF to create kernels for their Qualcomm devices, but the code they get from CAF is always several months older than the latest code available on CAF. By grabbing the latest kernel source from CAF and adding Flemmard's Sensation drivers & fixes to it, I have created a new kernel that has all of the latest tweaks and optimizations from Qualcomm, and no major code from anywhere else.