A small question about ART regarding updates

Search This thread

cooolforce

Jan 5, 2014
New Delhi
I've been hearing a lot about ART in threads and stuff.So I finally decided to search what this ART thing is. After knowing what ART I am very happy that finally in very near future (or maybe now) android phones will have smooth UI and Apps like iPhone.

Anyways cutting the crap out, I am using Galaxy Note 2 (N71000) running the latest Nightly by Omni. I have enabled ART on my phone just now and i can really see a notable difference . As I was activating ART I found that it is not officially supported by Omni. So a question strikes my mind

"Do I need to shift back to Dalvik from ART to install latest updates or can I flash them normally?"

I searched but couldn't find an existing thread.

aidanski

Feb 29, 2012
UK
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You can flash any update as normal, the only thing is depending on how many apps you have it will take a lot longer to optimise them on the first boot compared to dalvik. It's a worthy trade-off but can be an inconvenience when it takes 10-20 minutes for roughly 200 apps.

Sent from my GT-I9505

Reactions: cooolforce

cooolforce

Jan 5, 2014
New Delhi
Alright,I don't mind waiting if I can get flawless performance . your post answers my question. Thanks :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
if I can get flawless performance.

Sounds like you're a little new with ART. I'm not saying you're complaining (because you're not), but bear in mind ART is experimental and may or may not continue to work, or even be included by Google in the future. So remember, if it it quits working...
koush said:
PSA: ART

Dear everyone,

Stop mailing <insert app developer here> asking them to fix their app when using ART. You need to stop using ART until it is fixed. It is experimental for a reason.

Thanks,
Every Developer Ever

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/Cz5m4HhYkD6

cooolforce

Jan 5, 2014
New Delhi
Haha yes I am very very aware that ART is experimental and I am not worried if some apps stop working. And I hope that in future Google improves ART and implements it as the main runtime because the concept of ART is very appealing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can flash any update as normal, the only thing is depending on how many apps you have it will take a lot longer to optimise them on the first boot compared to dalvik. It's a worthy trade-off but can be an inconvenience when it takes 10-20 minutes for roughly 200 apps.

Sent from my GT-I9505