[Q] Any chance of fixing USB Brick w/o root ?

Search This thread

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Well I USB bricked my Desire last night.

To make things worse I was only able to apply the SD Card workaround via fastboot.

After flashing the update.zip from the modaco fix I instantly went back to the stock rom using the fastboot RUU process, without actually checking if it solved all the problems...

I know I had it coming...

Before I ship the phone out for repairs - maybe someone here knows if there is a chance to unbrick without root (nor having HBOOT version that allows to use any other method of rooting other than Unrevoked)

Code:
HBOOT 0.93
European 2.10.405 OTA

Thanks in advance

Reactions: derfull

mad-murdock

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Detmold
a more detailed description would help:

does your phone boot?
do you have running clockworkmod recovery?
did you do a nandroid backup before touching the system?
what modaco fix? give a link.
did you use unrevoked? thats the default root tool nowadays.
can you go to hboot/fastboot when pressing vol down while pressing power on?

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
a more detailed description would help:

does your phone boot?
do you have running clockworkmod recovery?
did you do a nandroid backup before touching the system?
what modaco fix? give a link.
did you use unrevoked? thats the default root tool nowadays.
can you go to hboot/fastboot when pressing vol down while pressing power on?

Hi,

- the phone boots ok - It has most of the symptoms from All you need to know about USB-Bricks thread, the SD card started to work after issuing:
Code:
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

This is the output from the fastboot oem boot command
Code:
$ fastboot-mac oem boot
... INFOsetup_tag addr=0xA0000100 cmdline add=0x8E07F9F0
INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK
INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0
INFOTAG:hwid 0x0
INFOTAG:skuid 0x21F04
INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0
INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0
INFOMCP dual-die
INFOMCP dual-die
INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0
INFODevice CID is not super CID
INFOCID is HTC__032
INFOsetting->cid::HTC__032
INFOserial number: HT057PL01634
INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1
INFOcommand line length =430
INFOactive commandline: board_bravo.disable_uart3=1 board_bravo.
INFOusb_h2w_sw=1 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 boa
INFOrd_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.e
INFOmmc=false  androidboot.baseband=5.09.05.30_2 androidboot.cid
INFO=HTC__032 androidboot.carrier=HTC-EastEurope androidboot.mid
INFO=PB9920000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=norma
INFOl androidboot.serialno=HT057PL01634 androidboot.bootloader=0
INFO.93.0001 no_console_suspend=1
INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc
INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery
INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot
INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system
INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache
INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata
INFOpartition number=6
INFOValid partition num=6
INFOmpu_nand_acpu_rw A1E 1000
INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(2457), tags_addr(0x20000100), ker
INFOnel_addr(0x20008000)
INFO-------------------hboot boot time:697447 msec
ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))

- Sadly, I made a complete reflash using
Code:
fastboot rebootRUU; 
fastboot flash zip rom.zip
... so no Clockwork recovery anymore

- Yes I have a nandroid backup but no means to put it back on the phone - the nandroid backup contains exactly the same rom I have now - just rooted

- As for the modaco fix I'm a new user I can't post external links, but it's the first link in this thread

- I did use the lastest Unrevoked3 (3.21) to root the phone

- I can use hboot / fastboot without problems but it's the stock 0.93.001 S-ON version.

Thanks

Last edited:

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Use a goldcard, it will enable you to put an unrooted Rom there. It's always a good reset option.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

I have an unbranded Desire so no need to use a GoldCard if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway if memory serves me right using the GoldCard / HBOOT / PB99IMG flashing, won't allow me neither to downgrade, nor to flash an unsigned rom.

An unsigned rooted rom or HBOOT downgraded do 0.80 could help me fix my problem - but with HBOOT 0.93 - dowgrading doesn't seem to be an option. I get a "Main Version Older" error when trying to downgrade, and flashing an unsigned rom is a no-no for all stock bootloaders as far as I know (I tried both HBOOT and recovery, both as expected fail at signature verification).

But thanks anyway :)

mad-murdock

Oct 11, 2010
Detmold
Whats the exact problem now? You restored rom.zip via ruu. So you got a stock firmware with stock hboot and stock recovery which can be unrevoked again?

Seams i am missing a detail ^^

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Whats the exact problem now? You restored rom.zip via ruu. So you got a stock firmware with stock hboot and stock recovery which can be unrevoked again?

Seams i am missing a detail ^^

It seems to me you're missing the main issue not a detail :)
The main issue being a condition called "USB Brick" (well that's only half the truth, most of the main issue is me acting without thinking :) )

Please read the info thread on USB Bricks here, since you have a HTC Desire - it concerns you too. Good idea to backup the MISC partition if you plan to flash the phone again :)

Anyyyyway - as for my case:

I screwed up, flashed the stock firmware BEFORE checking if the applied USB brick fix solved my problems. So it's true I have stock firmware, stock hboot, stock recovery - but I also have no way to connect the phone to a computer via USB - because the flashing process updates the following partitions: system, recovery, boot but not the misc partition which is now corrupt, and its corruption is the cause of the USB brick...

USB Brick = no usb connection at all while booted to the Android OS
No usb connection = no usb debug mode
no usb debug mode = no unrevoked

The usb still works from HBOOT / FASTBOOT, so If you know of a way to start Unrevoked while the phone is in HBOOT / FASTBOOT - please enlighten me, because I couldn't do It.

Unrevoked only recognized the phone while it was in USB Debug mode, which it cannot enter now because of the USB Brick. When I connect the phone while in Fastboot USB mode or HBOOT USB mode Unrevoked just states "Waiting for device".

I don't think I am able to put this in any clearer way :)

Thanks

Last edited:

mad-murdock

Oct 11, 2010
Detmold
Ouch. Now i see. Didnt understand you at the start. Well, i had an usb brick myself after wiping the system. At least i had a modded hboot and recovery.

Now to your problem. Wierd situation, really. But if i remember right, flashing one of the ruu.Exe files should also fix misc. Then you have stock firmware with usb working. Cant link here in tapatalk, but those ruu file are a sticky in desire dev forum... tell me, if it worked...

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Solved!

I was able to successfully unbrick the phone :)

It wouldn't be possible without rageagainstthecage, All the people writing the tutorials on USB unbricking, QuickSSHd and the Terminal Emulator app. Thanks to the authors.

I'll try to sum things up for anyone interested:

The problem
Because of acting without thinking I ended up with a stock unrooted rom and a partial USB brick. To make things worse I accepted the OTA update, installing the oh so loved HBOOT 0.93.100 S-ON.

The Solution
After some reading about rageagainstthecage, PoC code on which the Unrevoked rooting solution is based I tried to run the exploit directly on the phone.

Without having access to adb I wasn't able to find a place to put the executable, as the /data/ directory is writable only by the system user and the system group, and most tutorials suggest to place the exploit somewhere inside that directory. But all the tutorials I found mentioned using adb push to put the file on the phone, which probably operates on the phone as system:system as it is capable of writing to the /data dir. I wasn't able to write there as I had the id of the Terminal Application

Since apps storing data seem to store er... data in /data/data ;) I had a little breakthru. Becaue I couldn't find a free telnet solution I purchased the QuickSSHd from Android Market.

This allowed me to have write access to /data/data/<package_name>/home where I created a world readable (755) directory. I scp'd the rageagaintthecage, modified misc partition image and flash_image binary to the phones filesystem, and made them executable. I could've used the Terminal Apps <data dir>/shared_prefs directory (which would be a $$$ free solution, as the ssh was not free, but not expensive either) but I'm lazy and doing stuff from a PC keyboard is easier than from a touch keyboard.

Running the exploit and flash_image from inside a ssh session seemed like a good idea but the sshd died after running the exploit, and didn't want to start untill the phone was rebooted. So next time I just started the sshd and done the rest of the stuff from a Terminal Emulator (After preparing scripts for ease of execution, and dropboxing the paths for copy paste :) ). After running the exploit the Terminal Emulator app stopted working correctly (as expected) but after force closing it and running it again I was greeted with a # prompt :)

I flashed the misc partition with an image modified with my phones CID, rebooted and voila! USB brick gone :)

Now I just have to beat one thing into my empty head (in the manner of "stop, drop, and roll" firedrill mantra). STOP, READ and THINK - before flashing

g'night :)

Reactions: HyperL

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Ouch. Now i see. Didnt understand you at the start. Well, i had an usb brick myself after wiping the system. At least i had a modded hboot and recovery.

Now to your problem. Wierd situation, really. But if i remember right, flashing one of the ruu.Exe files should also fix misc. Then you have stock firmware with usb working. Cant link here in tapatalk, but those ruu file are a sticky in desire dev forum... tell me, if it worked...

Hi,

Just fyi because I was able to resolve my problem in the meantime.
Because I was foolish enough to install the OTA upgrade before it occured to me that the USB is not working, installing any RRU either in the official way (by running the exe) or by extracting the rom.zip from inside of the exe didn't work. The latest RRU was older then the firmware with OTA upgrade on my phone, and it didn't seem to allow me to downgrade.

ZIP way = Main Version Older error
EXE way = You have to install the correct firmware version or some other bla bla bla

Anyway I took a look inside the rom.zip extracted from the RRU.exe - there are img files of every partition, radio and hboot but no misc.

But thanks again anyway :)

CyberTech71

Oct 4, 2010

It wouldn't be possible without rageagainstthecage, All the people writing the tutorials on USB unbricking, QuickSSHd and the Terminal Emulator app. Thanks to the authors.

The problem
Because of acting without thinking I ended up with a stock unrooted rom and a partial USB brick. To make things worse I accepted the OTA update, installing the oh so loved HBOOT 0.93.100 S-ON.

The Solution
After some reading about rageagainstthecage, PoC code on which the Unrevoked rooting solution is based I tried to run the exploit directly on the phone.

Without having access to adb I wasn't able to find a place to put the executable, as the /data/ directory is writable only by the system user and the system group, and most tutorials suggest to place the exploit somewhere inside that directory. But all the tutorials I found mentioned using adb push to put the file on the phone, which probably operates on the phone as system:system as it is capable of writing to the /data dir. I wasn't able to write there as I had the id of the Terminal Application

Since apps storing data seem to store er... data in /data/data ;) I had a little breakthru. Becaue I couldn't find a free telnet solution I purchased the QuickSSHd from Android Market.

This allowed me to have write access to /data/data/<package_name>/home where I created a world readable (755) directory. I scp'd the rageagaintthecage, modified misc partition image and flash_image binary to the phones filesystem, and made them executable. I could've used the Terminal Apps <data dir>/shared_prefs directory (which would be a $$$ free solution, as the ssh was not free, but not expensive either) but I'm lazy and doing stuff from a PC keyboard is easier than from a touch keyboard.

Running the exploit and flash_image from inside a ssh session seemed like a good idea but the sshd died after running the exploit, and didn't want to start untill the phone was rebooted. So next time I just started the sshd and done the rest of the stuff from a Terminal Emulator (After preparing scripts for ease of execution, and dropboxing the paths for copy paste :) ). After running the exploit the Terminal Emulator app stopted working correctly (as expected) but after force closing it and running it again I was greeted with a # prompt :)

I flashed the misc partition with an image modified with my phones CID, rebooted and voila! USB brick gone :)

Now I just have to beat one thing into my empty head (in the manner of "stop, drop, and roll" firedrill mantra). STOP, READ and THINK - before flashing

Any chance of adding some links or actual information?
I've got exactly the same problem and you seem to have the solution.
Any chance of sharing?

mad-murdock

Oct 11, 2010
Detmold
Sure, he did something wrong.I managed this, too, when playing with a partition tool not designed for my system. Misc partition damaged, so a nice usb brick...

About the requested links : just use forum search for usb brick. First hit is your sticky solution

Sent from my S-OFF'd brain using teh internetz

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
Any chance of sharing?

I couldn't post external links, forum limitation for new users... Now I see I can so:

This is a specific situation - usb brick and totally stock rom, recovery and hboot. It's not required for people who have a modified recovery and a rooted rom. It's easy like 1-2-3.

Before doing anything else enable the Debug Mode in the Applications / Dev menu

1. Download the rageagainstthecage exploit from the authors site:
http://c-skills.blogspot.com/2010/08/please-hold-line.html

2. Download the flash_image and misc (mtd0.img) partition image from this thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=691639&highlight=usb+brick
Modify the mtd0.img according to your phones CID (how to get the CID also explained in the thread)

2. Download Android Terminal Emulator from the Market

3. Copy the exploit binary (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin), the flash_image and modifed mtd0.img to the sdcard via an external card reader

4. Start the Terminal

5. Copy the files to the Terminal app data directory (the only place on the data partition you will have write access while running the Terminal), and make the binaries executable
Code:
cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/flash_image 
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/mtd0.img 
cd  /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/
chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin flash_image

6. Run the exploit
Code:
/data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
After the exploit exits/finishes there should be a short system freeze, followed by inablity to issue any command from the terminal (don't worry). Exit the Terminal by long pressing HOME and force close the Terminal app from the Application Manager

7. Start the terminal again, a root prompt should be visible

8. Flash the misc partition
Code:
cd /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs
./flash_image misc mtd0.img

9. Reboot

Done and done
Enjoy

PS. I suck at writing tutorials, but if the details are still hazy for you after reading this - better to service the phone, because you might end up bricking the device totally - cheers

Last edited:

flashb

Sep 25, 2010

The problem

The Solution

Hello

in you problem with USB bricks for unrooted HTC desire

I have the seam problem

please explain it to me

I copy the flash_image and mtd0.img to
\data\data in my device I only need to flash them to restore my device

when I try this command in terminal Eliminator

/data/data/flash_image misc /data/data/mtd0.img

It show me

error writing misc permission denied

help me please

francalberto

Nov 28, 2009
Rome
I can't believe it, mate, finally this tutorial solved my usb (and bluetooth, and fm radio, and...) problem!!!!!
My Desire is unrooted, I've tried so many solution in the last 3 months but they all were useless.
I was starting to pack my phone for sending it to HTC Service when... tataaaa, I found your topic. Is on your if my wonderful Android powered phone got back fully functional.
Really, thank you for sharing your solution with us.
===========;-D

Francalberto

quanchi

Apr 22, 2009
Warsaw
I can't believe it, mate, finally this tutorial solved my usb (and bluetooth, and fm radio, and...) problem!!!!!
My Desire is unrooted, I've tried so many solution in the last 3 months but they all were useless.
I was starting to pack my phone for sending it to HTC Service when... tataaaa, I found your topic. Is on your if my wonderful Android powered phone got back fully functional.
Really, thank you for sharing your solution with us.
===========;-D

Francalberto

Good for you :)
All the credit goes to the people responsible for the tools used, I just put some things together.

Cheers

flashb

Sep 25, 2010
thank you very much
I really appreciate you effort you helped me so much

you are a brilliant man

thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any chance of sharing?

I couldn't post external links, forum limitation for new users... Now I see I can so:

This is a specific situation - usb brick and totally stock rom, recovery and hboot. It's not required for people who have a modified recovery and a rooted rom. It's easy like 1-2-3.

Before doing anything else enable the Debug Mode in the Applications / Dev menu

1. Download the rageagainstthecage exploit from the authors site:
    http://c-skills.blogspot.com/2010/08/please-hold-line.html

2. Download the flash_image and misc (mtd0.img) partition image from this thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=691639&highlight=usb+brick
    Modify the mtd0.img according to your phones CID (how to get the CID also explained in the thread)

2. Download Android Terminal Emulator from the Market

3. Copy the exploit binary (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin), the flash_image and modifed mtd0.img to the sdcard via an external card reader

4. Start the Terminal

5. Copy the files to the Terminal app data directory (the only place on the data partition you will have write access while running the Terminal), and make the binaries executable
    Code:
    cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/flash_image 
    cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/mtd0.img 
    cd  /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/
    chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin flash_image

6. Run the exploit
    Code:
    /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    After the exploit exits/finishes there should be a short system freeze, followed by inablity to issue any command from the terminal (don't worry). Exit the Terminal by long pressing HOME and force close the Terminal app from the Application Manager

7. Start the terminal again, a root prompt should be visible

8. Flash the misc partition
    Code:
    cd /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs
    ./flash_image misc mtd0.img

9. Reboot

Done and done
    Enjoy

PS. I suck at writing tutorials, but if the details are still hazy for you after reading this - better to service the phone, because you might end up bricking the device totally - cheers
    Well I USB bricked my Desire last night.

To make things worse I was only able to apply the SD Card workaround via fastboot.

After flashing the update.zip from the modaco fix I instantly went back to the stock rom using the fastboot RUU process, without actually checking if it solved all the problems...

I know I had it coming...

Before I ship the phone out for repairs - maybe someone here knows if there is a chance to unbrick without root (nor having HBOOT version that allows to use any other method of rooting other than Unrevoked)

Code:
    HBOOT 0.93
    European 2.10.405 OTA

Thanks in advance
    Solved!

The problem

The Solution

and now when only trying to move it to '/data/data/rageaginstthecage-arm5.bin', I'm getting 'permission denied'

but I should be getting that I don't have root, so I don't even understand why that command even should work.

try the /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/ directory. That's the directory which should belong to the Android Terminal Emulator app, and should be writable by it.

I have a strong suspicion that the people succeding in wrting to /data/data who posted that info in this thread already had root and unintentionally misinformed the rest of you :) If you read the thread from the beginning you will see that I wasn't able to write to /data/data and chose another directory