proximity issues

Search This thread

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
For those with the black screen during calls and can't wake call screen...it's not perfect fix but I figured out that if your screen won't wake after pulling it away from your ear tilt it flat like it was laying on a flat surface...it wakes every time for me
HTML:

Triscuit

Jun 11, 2010
Bonita Springs, FL
I also had proximity sensor issues... Mine turned out to be the white otter box case I have. I just used black sharpie on the case around the sensors, front camera and earpiece and it works just fine now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Interesting, so the reflection from the white was causing false readings?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

blulite

Aug 28, 2010
Check this post over on the CM11 thread. Lot's of folks thought it was a software problem, but turns out it's just dirty glass in front of the sensor.

Jeff

Last edited:

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
They exist lol, won't blame anything on the code like Steve Kondik is the God of programming or something.

I expect bugs in any ROM, including stock ones. However, I must say, that I was experiencing this issue, and without changing anything software wise, I used compressed air on the earpiece, and it fixed the problem.

Reactions: joshm.1219

blulite

Aug 28, 2010
Thats CM fanboy bullsh!t. If it's dirt on the sensor it would happen on TW too. It's a software issue

I had similar issues on TW. Did a quick Google search and found some stuff about dirty sensor. I too thought it sounded crazy, but gave it a try. When I disassembled my back-plate it was easy to see the black haze on the backside of the glass. A q-tip, alcohol, and all fixed. It worked very reliably (like new) on TW, so I decided to try CM11 again. Sure enough, the sensor worked fine with CM11. I posted over on that thread as many folks had been commenting of this problem and everyone assumed it was something broken in CM11.

Read the next handful of posts in the CM11 thread. At first a few called BS on the post, then several folks started trying it and all commented that it worked.

But again, thanks for the fanboy comment. Very constructive addition to this dialogue.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
I had similar issues on TW. Did a quick Google search and found some stuff about dirty sensor. I too thought it sounded crazy, but gave it a try. When I disassembled my back-plate it was easy to see the black haze on the backside of the glass. A q-tip, alcohol, and all fixed. It worked very reliably (like new) on TW, so I decided to try CM11 again. Sure enough, the sensor worked fine with CM11. I posted over on that thread as many folks had been commenting of this problem and everyone assumed it was something broken in CM11.

Read the next handful of posts in the CM11 thread. At first a few called BS on the post, then several folks started trying it and all commented that it worked.

But again, thanks for the fanboy comment. Very constructive addition to this dialogue.

I expect bugs in any ROM, including stock ones. However, I must say, that I was experiencing this issue, and without changing anything software wise, I used compressed air on the earpiece, and it fixed the problem.

The point is that if it works on TW without cleaning the sensor but doesn't on CM/AOSP, there's a software issue.

EDIT: not saying that cleaning the sensor wont fix it for the user, but it's like if you plug a hole in your tire.... theres still a hole in your tire.

Last edited:

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Not trying to start a fight, and I'm certainly no fanboy, but I have to disagree with that analogy. If it is due to dust, or debris, and you remove it, there is no hole. Anyway, carry on. ;)

Lol neither am I, disagreements dont have to be fights. But if it works on one type of software but not on the other, wouldn't you say software has something to do with it?

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Lol neither am I, disagreements dont have to be fights. But if it works on one type of software but not on the other, wouldn't you say software has something to do with it?

I agree with that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that people might be experiencing it for two different reasons. For some, it may be software related, for others, it may be a physical obstruction. So you can't just discount the air fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just to be clear. I was having the proximity issue on CM11, so I went back to TW (thinking it was a CM11 bug). I then realized I was having issue with TW. The key difference under TW is that I was able to turn on the screen with the side power button (so at least I could use the phone). I then came across the dirty proximity thing via a Google search, "initially scoffed at it", then tried it. It worked, the proximity sensor was working like new under TW. I then went back to CM11 and confirmed it worked there, and posted my result. Since then, many have tried from the CM11 post and it helped them out. This morning I found this thread and thought I would share.

All the rest of this CM11 vs TW noise is not adding to the dialogue. It appears Samsung has a design flaw and that many of us are getting dirt under the glass (covering the proximity sensor). So load whatever firmware you like, but if you have a dirty proximity sensor then just follow my post and see if cleaning it helps out.

Nuff said.... I'm out.
    Thats CM fanboy bullsh!t. If it's dirt on the sensor it would happen on TW too. It's a software issue

Lol
    CM fanboy BS

Lol
    CM fanboy BS

They exist lol, won't blame anything on the code like Steve Kondik is the God of programming or something.