My LG G2 is COMPLETELY bricked.

Search This thread

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
So after 20 hours of fiddling... I can safely say that this LG G2 D803 is completely done.

• Given by a friend, the phone started off by booting straight to fastboot, and had download mode available after he flashed a ROM designed for a tablet.
  • I attempted the .TOT method described here, where I used LGTools. I then only realized that this method was only suitable for an US device, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon (couldn't find a Rogers .TOT). I didn't modify the phone in any way.
  • I then continued to download the Rogers KDZ file here. Using the method described in the same post above, I performed the upgrade, only to realize that this was method wasn't working either.
  • I then did some scouring to find a way to boot into TWRP (which was already installed). I found this trick: If you hold the power button down until the phone turns off, you can hold power and down until you see the LG symbol, and then depress and press them again immediately to get into TWRP!
  • In TWRP... I realized that the partitions were all messed up. It was showing 6GB internal, and countless errors were popping up. Another dead end. ADB was working, but I was unable to push anything.
  • I then realized I should attempt to flash updated partitions using fastboot. Using the cmd line in Windows, I erased and flashed partitions I downloaded here after putting the phone in fastboot mode.

This is where I did something stupid.

• Instead of clicking and downloading on that site, I right-clicked "save-as" and downloaded 8kb corrupted partition files. I continued and flashed them unknowingly... and right after, the phone decided to not boot at all.
  • Using VMWARE and Ubuntu 14.04, I attempted to reflash the partitions using Linux commands described here. Unfortunately, the device would not show the /sd* partitions. Certainly, the bootloader that communicates with the PC does not allocate the partitions properly anymore.
  • Alright, the phone wont boot, because I flashed a bad bootloader. No biggie right? I would see the device as Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008.
  • That's when I scoured for a new method to fix the partitions. I came across QPEST and eMMC Software App to get this device back alive.
  • I spent hours trying to find the right .hex and .mbn file on Chinese websites. I found 8974_msimage.mbn, MPRG8974.hex, flash.xml, rawprogram0.xml and patch0.xml. I had to create accounts of a bunch of sites to finally download the correct files.
  • Carefully using QPST, I was able to get the phone in Download Mode (Qualcomm download mode, not LG download mode), and pushed the instructions to the device.
  • ... too bad. I thought I did everything right. The device times out in the process EVERYTIME.

t5fXl8O.png

uGe0yjC.png

The phone is officially dead, there isn't a way I know of to get it started (at least to fastboot again). It really pays off to check what you're flashing before you do it. The internet is full of crap.

Last edited:

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
So after 20 hours of fiddling... I can safely say that this LG G2 D803 is completely done.

• Given by a friend, the phone started off by booting straight to fastboot, and had download mode available after he flashed a ROM designed for a tablet.
  • I attempted the .TOT method described here, where I used LGTools. I then only realized that this method was only suitable for an US device, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon (couldn't find a Rogers .TOT). I didn't modify the phone in any way.
  • I then continued to download the Rogers KDZ file here. Using the method described in the same post above, I performed the upgrade, only to realize that this was method wasn't working either.
  • I then did some scouring to find a way to boot into TWRP (which was already installed). I found this trick: If you hold the power button down until the phone turns off, you can hold power and down until you see the LG symbol, and then depress and press them again immediately to get into TWRP!
  • In TWRP... I realized that the partitions were all messed up. It was showing 6GB internal, and countless errors were popping up. Another dead end. ADB was working, but I was unable to push anything.
  • I then realized I should attempt to flash updated partitions using fastboot. Using the cmd line in Windows, I erased and flashed partitions I downloaded here after putting the phone in fastboot mode.

• Instead of clicking and downloading on that site, I right-clicked "save-as" and downloaded 8kb corrupted partition files. I continued and flashed them unknowingly... and right after, the phone decided to not boot at all.
  • Using VMWARE and Ubuntu 14.04, I attempted to reflash the partitions using Linux commands described here. Unfortunately, the device would not show the /sd* partitions. Certainly, the bootloader that communicates with the PC does not allocate the partitions properly anymore.
  • Alright, the phone wont boot, because I flashed a bad bootloader. No biggie right? I would see the device as Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008.
  • That's when I scoured for a new method to fix the partitions. I came across QPEST and eMMC Software App to get this device back alive.
  • I spent hours trying to find the right .hex and .mbn file on Chinese websites. I found 8974_msimage.mbn, MPRG8974.hex, flash.xml, rawprogram0.xml and patch0.xml. I had to create accounts of a bunch of sites to finally download the correct files.
  • Carefully using QPST, I was able to get the phone in Download Mode (Qualcomm download mode, not LG download mode), and pushed the instructions to the device.
  • ... too bad. I thought I did everything right. The device times out in the process EVERYTIME.

t5fXl8O.png

uGe0yjC.png

The phone is officially dead, there isn't a way I know of to get it started (at least to fastboot again). It really pays off to check what you're flashing before you do it. The internet is full of crap.
there is a lot of crap on the internet but when you start fastbooting or dding partitions without verifying the integrity of the stuff you downloaded you will eventually brick something. Perhaps this experience will goad you into checking md5 or sha1 before you go about flashing things.

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
there is a lot of crap on the internet but when you start fastbooting or dding partitions without verifying the integrity of the stuff you downloaded you will eventually brick something. Perhaps this experience will goad you into checking md5 or sha1 before you go about flashing things.

It's very rare that I ensure the md5 is correct. In this case, the file sizes were completely off (8kb rather than 512kb), which is more noticeable than the hash. You're absolutely right. I sent the phone to MobileTechVideos for a JTag repair. I'll post the results when I get it returned.

kolembo

Nov 2, 2012
I tell you though - fine attempt. Made my day reading this. Never stop at no. Hope you get your phone fixed.

Onward.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: BuffMcBigHuge

ClawOfDoom

May 9, 2011
Can you not use a fastboot cable and re flash the correct partition images from there. I used that method to recover a completely bricked Kindle fire recently.

buenarc

Mar 24, 2014
Can you not use a fastboot cable and re flash the correct partition images from there. I used that method to recover a completely bricked Kindle fire recently.

I think this are the cases when the warranty should be used. The phone is not on it's best condition, so that should take care of this.

Reactions: comk4ver

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
he did the RIGHT thing and sent it to be repaired at his cost. to do what you are implying is to be a thief.

I respectfully disagree. everything described is software related. The hardware is still fine. At least from what I was reading. Which means the phone could be sent back, under warranty and repaired in probably under 5 minutes. It might get a dollars worth of new plastic on it. Repackaged up and sent off to somebody else to replace their broken phone. The losses on the replacement phone would be recouped almost instantly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dm6939

Dec 4, 2010
Can you help me.

Dear BuffMcBigHuge!

I have a situation same you, Now my LG G2 L-01F - NTT DOCOMO total Dead, it show Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader only.

I searched many forum, but havent find out these file.

Can you give me these file for me to try unbrick My G2.

My email: dm6939@gmail.com

Many thanks you.

findinghomer

Aug 13, 2013
I respectfully disagree. everything described is software related. The hardware is still fine. At least from what I was reading. Which means the phone could be sent back, under warranty and repaired in probably under 5 minutes. It might get a dollars worth of new plastic on it. Repackaged up and sent off to somebody else to replace their broken phone. The losses on the replacement phone would be recouped almost instantly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

bc OP stated:

"Given by a friend, the phone started off by booting straight to fastboot, and had download mode available after he flashed a ROM designed for a tablet"

so when a device is broken, (whether it be hardware or software) by the user, that is not a manufacturer defect. That is misuse, nonwarranty. thats why the guy you responded to said "he did the RIGHT thing and sent it to be repaired at his cost. to do what you are implying is to be a thief." and i agree with him. I actually cringe when i see people on here brick their phones, then ask for ways to unroot so they can get it repaired under warranty. Manufacturers are going to continue to make it harder to gain root access bc im sure theyre tired of wasting time on people who broke their phones themselves, then want it repaired for free. sigh...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

t5fXl8O.png

uGe0yjC.png

You made a valiant effort, good luck man.
    So after sending the device to MobileTechVideos, I was able to get it fully repaired and back into working order! They converted it to a D801, and its back in full working order!

Highly recommended!
    1 LG G2 down
    20 million+ units still in combat working the daily grind!
    1 LG G2 down
    20 million+ units still in combat working the daily grind!

make it 2 lg g2 mine is dead too...

mine is back to life finally