[Root] RockMyMoto (Yes, even the first OTA)

Search This thread
Nov 2, 2011
Alturas
I'm also stuck in bootloop after attempting to update with root (I saw an early post that said they had done so successfully). I've got a new image and I'm attempting to use RSD lite but I can't get RSD lite to recognize my droid maxx in AP Fastboot Flash Mode. Has anyone run into this before or does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT
RSD lite doesn't like USB 3.0 on Windows 8...

Firefighter, I can't post links but there's a good RSD lite tut at andromods, you can find it by googling droid ultra back to stock rsdlite. You can find your images at sbf . droid-developers . org. You'll have to edit the XML to delete the lines with oem and getvar in them. Open the zip, extract the folder inside, then edit the xml with notepad. Also, make sure to check the md5's before you begin (after you download). Hit me up for questions if you want, I just went through it with my maxx.

so this method to reverse what has been done did you get it to work on yours

Nov 2, 2011
Alturas
Well you see, i am really not very tech savy. what i did to root it was just put it on my phone and then installed it after opening it up. as far as doing what you just told me up there I have no idea.

Edit

I am at the site with the firmwares for the droid maxx but i dont know which one to download. can you point me in the right direction. Thanks Again!!!!!

Last edited:

TacticalFats

Dec 30, 2011
Yeah...I've never used adb. I'm just going to wait and hope an easier method for lazy idiots such as myself is released.

Meanwhile, I'll deal with the annoyance of a partially downloaded update somewhere I'm unable to delete on my still functioning fine, rooted phone.

Last edited:

cjwazzy

Nov 9, 2013
I am at the site with the firmwares for the droid maxx but i dont know which one to download. can you point me in the right direction. Thanks Again!!!!!

I have the maxx and I used the second (has maxx in the name). Elsewise, you should be able to follow the tut on the other page that I posted (andromod) but if you've any other questions, let me know. Be aware, you are flashing back to factory state, all saved data will be gone. Also, you'll need to get your phone booted in fastboot mode (not bootlooping). You can either catch it when it's in the OS for a brief time and shut it down, then boot it up while holding the vol down key, or you might be able to just hold vol down while it's booting (hold immediately after it shuts down) and you should be able to inturrupt the boot loop and enter fastboot mode.

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
Hey guys--

I had issues with the process when I got to the telnet parts, so I wanted to share how I resolved the issue in hopes that it helps others.

First off, adb refused to tell me the phone's IP address. I tried the command numerous times and it never worked. But you can see it in Android, just go to wi-fi settings and then hit options bar / advanced, and it will show your IP address in the bottom of the page. Just be certain that you're on the same network as your computer.

Until I watched the video I wasn't sure where to enter telnet commands. After watching the video, I still wasn't sure how to get to telnet. Turns out it's not installed by default on Windows machines. To use it, hit Start and type "Change Windows Features On or Off" and hit the first link that comes up. Select telnet client in that list of options, hit ok, and wait for it to finish installing. Then when you get to the part where you have to connect via telnet, hit Start again and type telnet and hit enter to launch a telnet instance in a cmd. To connect to your phone, substitute the OP's instructions of typing "telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222" with this command:

It should open a connection and the first time will ask you to solve an algebra problem. Then proceed with the instructions and you should be good to go. Hope that helps someone else who might have been lost and confused with telnet as I was.

I am having what I hope is a very simple issue with Telnet. For some reason, I cannot get telnet to connect to my phone. I know a previous poster had said something about multiple subnets but I'm not sure how to deal with that (I think I also have multiple).

I used HouseOfMoto to get back to stock, took the OTA update, and that all went well. I was able to easily use adb to get the IP address of the phone and push the two packages to the phone. I can't tell however if Cydia is working. I choose the # start telnetd as system on port 2222 and it runs through it's commands, pauses on "waiting to complete" and then goes back to the original drop down screen. When I then try to telnet, both at a cmd prompt and within a telnet window, I continue to get Connect failed. Thoughts?

daca1001

Oct 13, 2007
Got a small issue. Using ADB when I type "adb devices" from the command prompt, it is not finding my XT1080 device. The list of devices is blank (empty). The phone is connected via USB. Windows 7 recognizes it. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 2, 2011
Alturas
I have the maxx and I used the second (has maxx in the name). Elsewise, you should be able to follow the tut on the other page that I posted (andromod) but if you've any other questions, let me know. Be aware, you are flashing back to factory state, all saved data will be gone. Also, you'll need to get your phone booted in fastboot mode (not bootlooping). You can either catch it when it's in the OS for a brief time and shut it down, then boot it up while holding the vol down key, or you might be able to just hold vol down while it's booting (hold immediately after it shuts down) and you should be able to inturrupt the boot loop and enter fastboot mode.

So i got it working but every time i start it under status it returns saying failed flash process. 2/17 flash partion "gpt.bin"-> phone returned FAIL

Any explanation on why i am get this when trying to flash it

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
I am having what I hope is a very simple issue with Telnet. For some reason, I cannot get telnet to connect to my phone. I know a previous poster had said something about multiple subnets but I'm not sure how to deal with that (I think I also have multiple).

I used HouseOfMoto to get back to stock, took the OTA update, and that all went well. I was able to easily use adb to get the IP address of the phone and push the two packages to the phone. I can't tell however if Cydia is working. I choose the # start telnetd as system on port 2222 and it runs through it's commands, pauses on "waiting to complete" and then goes back to the original drop down screen. When I then try to telnet, both at a cmd prompt and within a telnet window, I continue to get Connect failed. Thoughts?

No idea why, I got it to work. My main computer is a hackintosh and I have an ASUS router plugged into the router my cable company gave me. So I booted into the OSX side of my computer, then re-flashed my router firmware, and all of a sudden I can get a telnet connection. It does make me very curious what particular part of my windows 7 setup wasn't letting this work though.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

No idea why, I got it to work. My main computer is a hackintosh and I have an ASUS router plugged into the router my cable company gave me. So I booted into the OSX side of my computer, then re-flashed my router firmware, and all of a sudden I can get a telnet connection. It does make me very curious what particular part of my windows 7 setup wasn't letting this work though.

Dammit! Spoke too soon. It ran the first command but then after the first reboot, it would again not connect by telnet either in OSX or Win 7. Thoughts? I've turned off windows firewall, my asus router firewall, and my cable modem firewall.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
daca1001;47I can think of88285 said:
Got a small issue. Using ADB when I type "adb devices" from the command prompt, it is not finding my XT1080 device. The list of devices is blank (empty). The phone is connected via USB. Windows 7 recognizes it. Any help would be appreciated.

One of two things i can think of first change USB port and second make sure your not in fastboot. To use adb your phone has to just be on.

Reactions: firefighteremt18

cjwazzy

Nov 9, 2013

Indeed, ADB is for phone on (in regular OS, USB debug on) only. If you're stuck in a bootloop and trying to flash, you'll want to be in fastboot, with RSDlite on your computer. I'm not sure about ADB but RSD lite doesn't like USB 3.0 ports. Windows will recognize the device on 3.0 but RSD lite will only see it in 2.0; I have no idea why but I found that out by trying all 3 ports on my lappy.

So i got it working but every time i start it under status it returns saying failed flash process. 2/17 flash partion "gpt.bin"-> phone returned FAIL

Any explanation on why i am get this when trying to flash it

Can you post the (edited) contents of the xml file that you edited?

Nov 2, 2011
Alturas
Indeed, ADB is for phone on (in regular OS, USB debug on) only. If you're stuck in a bootloop and trying to flash, you'll want to be in fastboot, with RSDlite on your computer. I'm not sure about ADB but RSD lite doesn't like USB 3.0 ports. Windows will recognize the device on 3.0 but RSD lite will only see it in 2.0; I have no idea why but I found that out by trying all 3 ports on my lappy.

Can you post the (edited) contents of the xml file that you edited?

So this is what I have for the xml file and what did you mention about the MD5?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<phone_model model="PRO_CFC_VZW" />
<software_version version="obake-maxx_verizon-user 4.2.2 12.9.0Q2.X-160-OBK_TA-14-7 7 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.011.75.00R" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="4CB5EBEDA79E893278C6846B556F5AA7" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="E109F30D96A1C225680FFDF46532CD39" />
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="8AD54CC4A69CBA3D58CAA320BB6C8E5B" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="6BBF1FD4AF90711F3D1DDE8D65ABBBA5" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="2AF4D2C4B7E3257773BEF74F4F09F4DE" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="B17EB5DFCD2C1582AC128F4A444643F2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="2E53947A392DDF3486D38C3976A16D06" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="EABFE6529CCC5858C65123EBAA71C559" />
<step operation="erase" partition="cache" />
<step operation="erase" partition="userdata" />
<step operation="erase" partition="customize" />
<step operation="erase" partition="clogo" />
<step operation="oem" var="config carrier vzw" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_clear" />
</steps>
</flashing>

it gets to the part where it highlighted and fails right there and when i delete that line it fails at the next one so on and so forth, I dont think it is the file more or less something i am not doing right with my phone

Last edited:

cjwazzy

Nov 9, 2013
Did you extract the entire contents of the zip to a folder, then edit the xml and select the xml with RSD lite? Do not just select the zip, and make sure you've extracted the whole zip.

Reactions: firefighteremt18

Ford_Tech

Jan 18, 2010
S.E. Louisiana
So this is what I have for the xml file and what did you mention about the MD5?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<software_version version="obake-maxx_verizon-user 4.2.2 12.9.0Q2.X-160-OBK_TA-14-7 7 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.011.75.00R" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="4CB5EBEDA79E893278C6846B556F5AA7" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="E109F30D96A1C225680FFDF46532CD39" />
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="8AD54CC4A69CBA3D58CAA320BB6C8E5B" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="6BBF1FD4AF90711F3D1DDE8D65ABBBA5" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="2AF4D2C4B7E3257773BEF74F4F09F4DE" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="B17EB5DFCD2C1582AC128F4A444643F2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="2E53947A392DDF3486D38C3976A16D06" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="EABFE6529CCC5858C65123EBAA71C559" />
</steps>
</flashing>

it gets to the part where it highlighted and fails right there and when i delete that line it fails at the next one so on and so forth, I dont think it is the file more or less something i am not doing right with my phone

This is the xml I used to flash the stock software with RSD. Save that to your folder and see if it'll work, worked for me. I would love it if someone could post an easier way to get back rooted after the OTA, the method jcase posted is above my tech abilities.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_set" />
</steps>
</flashing>

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
For the Dev's and anyone that has a clear as air answer, without all the technical jargon..

Is it possible to create a fastboot file zip to restore with RSDlite, like is performed to revert back to stock, that includes the 12.15.15 OTA upgrade, and is pre-Rooted..for the new Motorola models, MotoX, Droids..? for we lesser experienced ones..and to save the Dev's from all the unnecessary PM's, Tweets and Emails..if its possible, place this zip file for download per device model..even if its hidden behind the donation choice, this is my wish..is anyone out there with the skills to do this request..taking an OTA and Root, don't have to be as difficult..Does it.?

SafeStrap ver. 3.63a
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(#1)

Last edited:

redpipe

Aug 3, 2012
Lexington Park
For the Dev's and anyone that has a clear as air answer, without all the technical jargon..

Is it possible to create a fastboot file zip to restore with RSDlite, like is performed to revert back to stock, that includes the 12.15.15 OTA upgrade, and is pre-Rooted..for the new Motorola models, MotoX, Droids..? for we lesser experienced ones..and to save the Dev's from all the unnecessary PM's, Tweets and Emails..if its possible, place this zip file for download per device model..even if its hidden behind the donation choice, this is my wish..is anyone out there with the skills to do this request..taking an OTA and Root, don't have to be as difficult..Does it.?

SafeStrap ver. 3.63a
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(#1)

No. The images that are getting flashed are cryptographically signed. Any image that is not signed with Motorola's keys will not flash. The reason the recovery image can be flashed is because we are still flashing a signed image, it just happens to be the boot image instead of a recovery image and the device doesn't validate that :)

Reactions: NWKENT

robbyrobaz

Mar 9, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
robhartwig.com
worked fine

Worked fine on my Droid Maxx just now with the OTA update 12.15.15.obake... Thanks for sharing! :laugh:
telnet isn't turned on by default in Windows 7 and 8 so you might need to enable it. ;) https://social.technet.microsoft.co.../910.enabling-telnet-client-in-windows-7.aspx

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Are you using telnet with the correct IP address. You can also find this ip address on your phone: settings, about, status, ip address
Also make sure you enable telnet as it's not enabled in Windows 7 by default: https://social.technet.microsoft.co.../910.enabling-telnet-client-in-windows-7.aspx

You can also try using putty to connect via telnet if you'd like, but is a few more steps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509676

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will void your warranty, like all root exploits. Use this at your own risk. Do not take OTAs on rooted devices unless you know what you are doing, as it may cause a bootloop or a soft brick.

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress

unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

adb push su /sdcard/
    adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/

Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222

Run the exploit through telnet

dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto

The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

Known issues:

If you have AP isolation mode enabled in your AP (aka WiFi router) you won't be able to connect to your phone via telnet, disable isolation.

Windows users having trouble see here
    Hey guys--

I had issues with the process when I got to the telnet parts, so I wanted to share how I resolved the issue in hopes that it helps others.

First off, adb refused to tell me the phone's IP address. I tried the command numerous times and it never worked. But you can see it in Android, just go to wi-fi settings and then hit options bar / advanced, and it will show your IP address in the bottom of the page. Just be certain that you're on the same network as your computer.

Until I watched the video I wasn't sure where to enter telnet commands. After watching the video, I still wasn't sure how to get to telnet. Turns out it's not installed by default on Windows machines. To use it, hit Start and type "Change Windows Features On or Off" and hit the first link that comes up. Select telnet client in that list of options, hit ok, and wait for it to finish installing. Then when you get to the part where you have to connect via telnet, hit Start again and type telnet and hit enter to launch a telnet instance in a cmd. To connect to your phone, substitute the OP's instructions of typing "telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222" with this command:

It should open a connection and the first time will ask you to solve an algebra problem. Then proceed with the instructions and you should be good to go. Hope that helps someone else who might have been lost and confused with telnet as I was.
    Here is for the Newbie, someone that doesn't understand what ADT Bundle or adb means, and has never attempted the adb process of Rooting..this is the RockMyMoto exploit procedure..

Please donate to Jcase for all his labors on this Root exploit..

This is a simplified version of preparing the Windows computer, to run the exploit from start to finished, and have a Rooted XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx..

Instructions download here >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iaVFhZDd2dmtaTFE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Zip file download here >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iOWNNa1B0NXo4OTg/edit?usp=docslist_api

sent by my MZ617-32 XYBoard 10.1_SafeStrap v3.12_Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    XT1080M…A step by step procedure, for RockMyMoto Root exploit, in southern country boy, old folk terms..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_ia0JyVVdadWJBM1k/edit?usp=docslist_api