[Q] can't unlock bootloader evo 3d

Search This thread

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
Sorry in advance if this had been covered before but there are so many different threads everywhere i don't know where to start. As of right now i'm running 1.50 s-on and have been attempting to use the HTC method to unlock the bootloader. I have no problems or errors at all til i get to i think it's step 13 or 14

sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.152s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
(bootloader) unlock token check successfully
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.159s

it appears that everything goes through but then nothing happens? my phone just stays in the same hboot screen. What am i doing wrong? thanks in advance and sorry again if this has been covered but i'm somewhat noob to rooting and am still trying to figure all of this out.....

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
If your cdma you need to run the latest ruu 2.17 ruu exe . Once done then apply the unlock code your set.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Reactions: casper916

Astrikz

Mar 27, 2012
You can download the ruu in the sticky on how to get back to stock. I had this same problem and that's how I got it fixed.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
If your cdma you need to run the latest ruu 2.17 ruu exe . Once done then apply the unlock code your set.

ok how do i run the ruu? it's a .exe file so i just plug in my phone and run the .exe?

EDIT: i did the latest OTA from sprint a couple days ago (removed CIQ) and i'm running software number 2.17.651.5...is that what you guys are referring to?

Last edited:

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
ok how do i run the ruu? it's a .exe file so i just plug in my phone and run the .exe?

EDIT: i did the latest OTA from sprint a couple days ago (removed CIQ) and i'm running software number 2.17.651.5...is that what you guys are referring to?

Yes you need to run that ruu from fastboot in hboot . It is the same Ota you took but will fix your problem.

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
Yes you need to run that ruu from fastboot in hboot . It is the same Ota you took but will fix your problem.

ok one last question? I'm at the shipped roms.com site and there are is a .zip and a .exe of the RUU. Which one should i DL? if it's the zip do i extract it to the rootevonew folder on my C: drive? And just so i'm clear i go into fastboot and while in fastboot i run the .exe on my comp? or do i put it in the root of my sd card? Sorry again for all the questions.....:confused:

Astrikz

Mar 27, 2012
Put your phone on fasboot usb .
Run RUU.EXE
And your set. It will take about 10 min to complete.
Realize that if you remove your USB while its updating your phone might end up bricked so be careful to not get it unplugged.

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
Run RUU.EXE
Realize that if you remove your USB while its updating your phone might end up bricked so be careful to not get it unplugged.

ok, and i need to uncheck the fastboot option in my phone first correct. Just like if i were to be doing the HTC unlock?

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
Run RUU.EXE

Right on thanks guys i finally got around to doing all this and it worked. One last question....Any advice on a particular ROM to flash? I was looking at the Nocturnal Adrenaline E3D 1.0.2 ODEX?? what do you guys think? Thanks again for all the help...

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
I'm currently running MeanRom 3.92. It's really good. Lots of features & easily over clockable on included ziggy kernel or Anthrax Rls8 Final. Also includes other options that get loaded onto sdcard for flashing.

I flashed leedroid Tweaks, & anthrax, clocked to 1.728Ghz. Stable, fast, quadrant average about 4k.

All up to your preference really, but some consider it a good idea to stick with 2.17 based roms if that's the radio base you have.

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
Ok cool,and i can just flash that using the fastboot method right? What about the kernel? Do I need to flash that seperately or does it all go in with the rom?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Ok cool,and i can just flash that using the fastboot method right? What about the kernel? Do I need to flash that seperately or does it all go in with the rom?

Yes, once you enter recovery VIA fastboot command prompt everything will flash fine. See the Hboot 1.50 guide flashing notes in my signature for details or just get 4ext recovery.

casper916

Dec 21, 2010
Sacramento
run 4ext recovery, u dont need a usb cord...and the best rom out right now is ZR3D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1561999

Ok i got 4ext recovery and am trying to figure it all out, I read the thread on 4ext but I'm totally confused. I download the rom, put it on the root of my sd
Card, then open 4ext and when I install through 4ext do I still do the full wipe/dalvik cache wipe, etc. Etc? Or can I just install Zip from sd Card?

evomike77

Mar 6, 2012
Texas
Ok i got 4ext recovery and am trying to figure it all out, I read the thread on 4ext but I'm totally confused. I download the rom, put it on the root of my sd
Card, then open 4ext and when I install through 4ext do I still do the full wipe/dalvik cache wipe, etc. Etc? Or can I just install Zip from sd Card?

it works the same as any other recovery, but when you choose the zip to install, a menu will pop up asking you what to do prior to the flash, that is where you do all your wiping...enjoy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can download the ruu in the sticky on how to get back to stock. I had this same problem and that's how I got it fixed.

Run RUU.EXE

ok, and i need to uncheck the fastboot option in my phone first correct. Just like if i were to be doing the HTC unlock?

Ya you can do that to make it easier to get into hboot .