[Q] Is flashing a custom recovery (TWRP) possible with a temporary root?

Search This thread

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
I just got this phone and unfortunately didn't get the developer edition. I am using the "Towel Pie Root" made by a developer here on XDA and got temporary root. So under this temporary root is it possible to flash a recovery and if it is, is it possible to then flash ROMs with the recovery? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I just got this phone and unfortunately didn't get the developer edition. I am using the "Towel Pie Root" made by a developer here on XDA and got temporary root. So under this temporary root is it possible to flash a recovery and if it is, is it possible to then flash ROMs with the recovery? Thanks in advance!

When the bootloader on the X is locked, you can only flash components which are signed by Motorola's "digital key" as being for your phone. So you can only flash an entire rom, or parts of it, which are for your phone.

This prevents using 3rd party or custom recoveries, custom roms, etc. as they are not signed by Motorola's key.

PIE, TowelRoot, TowelPieRoot, SlapMyMoto, RockMyMoto, MotoWPNoMo, etc. does NOT allow for bypassing this.

Only unlocking your bootloader will allow you to use parts not signed by moto, like custom recoveries, 3rd party roms, etc.

My thought is that you are on 4.4.2 because you have used TowelPieRoot. Is that correct?

@Travisdroidx2 suggested SafeStrap, but to install/use Safestrap you need to be rooted and have write protection disabled. Unfortunately, on the Moto X, the MotoWpNoMo exploit was used to disable write protection if you can't unlock your bootloader, BUT the vulnerability in the bootloader that was exploited by MotoWpNoMo has been patched in 4.4.2 ROM and above. So you can't use it on 4.4.2, 4.4.3, and 4.4.4. You can't downgrade the bootloader either. In fact, once on 4.4.2 or above, NEVER try to downgrade your ROM, as you could brick your phone!!

i.e. If you have a locked bootloader and are on 4.4.2 or above, you can't disable write protection, and you can't downgrade your phone safely. If you do try, you can't downgrade Motoboot.img (bootloader and a couple of other things), and GPT.BIN (partition table). which can brick your phone and cause other problems.

However, if you were on 4.4 (aka 4.4.0) with its vulnerable bootloader, you could use SlapMyMoto with MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection, then use Safestrap to install 4.4.2 and 4.4.4, and retain root and write protection disable.

Last edited:

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
When the bootloader on the X is locked, you can only flash components which are signed by Motorola's "digital key" as being for your phone. So you can only flash an entire rom, or parts of it, which are for your phone.

This prevents using 3rd party or custom recoveries, custom roms, etc. as they are not signed by Motorola's key.

PIE, TowelRoot, TowelPieRoot, SlapMyMoto, RockMyMoto, MotoWPNoMo, etc. does NOT allow for bypassing this.

Only unlocking your bootloader will allow you to use parts not signed by moto, like custom recoveries, 3rd party roms, etc.

My thought is that you are on 4.4.2 because you have used TowelPieRoot. Is that correct?

@Travisdroidx2 suggested SafeStrap, but to install/use Safestrap you need to be rooted and have write protection disabled. Unfortunately, on the Moto X, the MotoWpNoMo exploit was used to disable write protection if you can't unlock your bootloader, BUT the vulnerability in the bootloader that was exploited by MotoWpNoMo has been patched in 4.4.2 ROM and above. So you can't use it on 4.4.2, 4.4.3, and 4.4.4. You can't downgrade the bootloader either. In fact, once on 4.4.2 or above, NEVER try to downgrade your ROM, as you could brick your phone!!

i.e. If you have a locked bootloader and are on 4.4.2 or above, you can't disable write protection, and you can't downgrade your phone safely. If you do try, you can't downgrade Motoboot.img (bootloader and a couple of other things), and GPT.BIN (partition table). which can brick your phone and cause other problems.

However, if you were on 4.4 (aka 4.4.0) with its vulnerable bootloader, you could use SlapMyMoto with MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection, then use Safestrap to install 4.4.2 and 4.4.4, and retain root and write protection disable.

Yes that's correct that I'm on 4.4.2. Thank you for clearing that up, everything I looked at was confusing. So my last question is Towel Pie Root can only be used for root access apps?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Yes that's correct that I'm on 4.4.2. Thank you for clearing that up, everything I looked at was confusing. So my last question is Towel Pie Root can only be used for root access apps?

Sort of.

TowelPieRoot provides READ access to protected folders that you can't touch/see without root permissions. So apps like Root Explorer and the like which don't need to WRITE files in /system and such will be fine.

Apps like AdFree, Xposed, and other things that need to write in /system either wont install, or will need an alternate install process. (Xposed does have a way to install without write permissions).

And of course, any changes done to the write protected folders will be lost at power off/on or "hard boot." This poses a challenge for many when installing Xposed, as they do a normal reboot after install which is a "hard boot" and they lose root and xposed and have to start all over. There is a "soft boot" option that can be used when installing xposed.

Note: I have an unlocked bootloader so I've only read about the challenges of installing Xposed and others who use PIE, Towel ROot, and TowelPieRoot and still have write protection enabled. So you'll really want to read those threads that deal with the ROOT app you want to use, or the root method you are using, to find the details of what can/can't be done.

Reactions: procitysam

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
Sort of.

TowelPieRoot provides READ access to protected folders that you can't touch/see without root permissions. So apps like Root Explorer and the like which don't need to WRITE files in /system and such will be fine.

Apps like AdFree, Xposed, and other things that need to write in /system either wont install, or will need an alternate install process. (Xposed does have a way to install without write permissions).

And of course, any changes done to the write protected folders will be lost at power off/on or "hard boot." This poses a challenge for many when installing Xposed, as they do a normal reboot after install which is a "hard boot" and they lose root and xposed and have to start all over. There is a "soft boot" option that can be used when installing xposed.

Note: I have an unlocked bootloader so I've only read about the challenges of installing Xposed and others who use PIE, Towel ROot, and TowelPieRoot and still have write protection enabled. So you'll really want to read those threads that deal with the ROOT app you want to use, or the root method you are using, to find the details of what can/can't be done.

Awesome explanation thanks. The app has the option to re-root after a reboot so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks so much for helping!

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Awesome explanation thanks. The app has the option to re-root after a reboot so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks so much for helping!

sure, re-root after reboot... BUT any changes you made to the write protected folders while would still be lost and have to be redone after a power off/on or "hard boot".

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California

Thanks for the info. I have a Dev edition so never used safestrap myself. I just know it was a option for locked down phones. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sort of.