Diamond or Omnia?

Which phone would you like to buy, Omnia or Diamond?

• Total voters
Search This thread

jugulator

Jun 14, 2005
Hi all,
I was hoping to upgrade to Diamond when its out in the UK. But now the Samsung Omnia is out, I am a bit confused as to which one to go for. I invite everyone to give your opinion on it. I am sure there are many like me out there.

MY initial views are;
Diamond is a cool phone and the HTC have years of experience with WM phones. But it does have its own flows like HTC doesnt seem to know how to make proper camera and issues with video drivers. And their headphones are good for nothing. I really think these areas will be better with Omnia, at least the 5MP camera and the headphone quality.

On the other side, Omnia is slightly bigger and and heavier than the Diamond. And the display is Qvga? (I am not an expert on this). Both have GPS and Accelerometer and stuff.

So guys give us your opinion on this.
Cheers
Jugulator

Monty Burns

Mar 11, 2005
Doha
www.stuza.com
I'm desperatly trying to source my Omnia from Asia as its not out here in the UK yet. I currently have a G900 and whilst the screen is spanking, its camera is rubbish and it doesn't have GPS, which i REALLY want.

As for HTC, having had 3 HTC devices and having had to return said devices 6 times in total for hardware repairs I will never, ever, ever buy a HTC device again. Oh and just to add, the guy that sits oposite me in the office has an orange branded TyTN, i mentioned the build quality to him about 6 months ago and he laughed at me and said his worked perfectly. Guess what, he finaly threw the thing in the bin today as the last of the front hardware keys gave up on him.

So, don't care if HTC make the greatest phone on the planet, i ain't buying it.

mphayvanh

Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for the video. Interesting GUI. I definately like the design of the Omnia. The GUI looks a little bit slugglish and unresponsive at times. But with a large screen (although low pixel dimension), 5MP camera & 16GB max storage--it's hard to say no. The widescreen QVGA is disturbing for a feature rich phone like this. The iPhone hides the pixel dimensions nicely so I'm hoping this one will too.

I'm passing on the Diamond (because of the 4GB max storage) and hoping for the Touch Pro. If you can port TouchFlo 3D on the Omnia and have it be as fluid as the iPhone UI, I would seriously buy it.

jugulator

Jun 14, 2005
VGA and QVGA

Could someone shred some light on the difference between VGA and QVGA? If this is significantly different, I would favour Diamond than Omnia, plus smaller size and weight. But at the same time I would like to try something other than HTC..lol. :)

Hagow

Jul 10, 2007
Get the Rapheal it will be better than both the Omnia and Diamond.

rorydaredkign

Jun 20, 2007
London
Hmmm touch choice, X1, Pro, or Omnia. Depends on the Camera I get really, no camer -> probably omnia, Good camera-> one of the others. 5MP is sick, and considering HTC Cameras are ****, it makes the 5 even better.
Rory

cktlcmd

Oct 12, 2005
Farmington, CT; Jackson, NJ
Go for the Omnia. If you look at the videos from youtube, the omnia opens apps REALLY FAST. It may not be as responsive as we should want, probably due to the screen, but the processor speed makes up for it. Not to mention the 16 GB storage and micro SD slot. It has XVID and DIVX support out of the box, so you know it will definitely perform well with videos. The 5 MP camera also s a huge plus. The only drawbacks I could think off is how good will the battery last in a day of use, and the wide QVGA screen which might not be compatible with most or all available apps yet.

I had a dilemma choosing between the Advantage X7510 and the Omnia, but in the end, I opted for the BIG SCREEN and good battery life of the X7510.

But with the choices you have given, go for the Omnia.

speedblaster@yahoo.com

Nov 12, 2007
Quincy
Could someone shred some light on the difference between VGA and QVGA? If this is significantly different, I would favour Diamond than Omnia, plus smaller size and weight. But at the same time I would like to try something other than HTC..lol. :)
VGA is 640 by 480 screen resolution while QVGA is 320 by 240 resolution. Basically VGA screen have 4 times as much clarity and quality as QVGA screens, in theory atleast.

JASTECH

Sep 19, 2007
I too am thinking of the SGH-i907. I will be moving and need to switch to GSM and sense the i907 is going to AT&T that will work just fine for me. But I will have to use it in Verizon/AllHell network until I move. So I hope it will work ok. I think with the 8 or 16GB internal memory and the availability to use the external micro SD slot is nice. I guess to top it off they should have used a VGA screen but WGVA isn't too bad is it? What is the mp of the secondary camera? I am also wondering if Android can be ported to the i907?
Release Date: June, 2008
56.9x112x12.5mm, Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional , 32bit Marvell PXA320, 128MiB RAM, 16000MiB ROM, 3.2" 400x240 color transflective TFT display, video out, Proprietary audio jack, GSM850/GSM900/GSM1800/GSM1900/UMTS2100, CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, microSD/microSDHC/TransFlash/SDIO, Proprietary port, Bluetooth, WLAN, GPS, A-GPS, FM radio, accelerometer, 5MP camera, AF, flash, secondary camera, 1440mAh removable battery.

Last edited:

kiawey

Dec 29, 2007
I'm thinking between HTC Touch Pro and Omnia. If possible want to get both of them to compare. But still worry about omnia regarding below issues:
1. no support on forum such as tweaking, customize and cook rom.
2. where to download the rom update? Samsung will give new rom update to improve their performance or not?
3. inside the package seem not include the stylus and pouch. at samsung webpage indicate that is an optional.
4. how good is Marvell PXA300 series processor? Stable or not? Fast enough or not to handle such a bulky 3d software.

davechew

Apr 4, 2005
Samsung Omnia (i-900)

I just got the Omnia here in Singapore and so far, its great! You can turn off most of the "fancy" (but not so useful features to me) iPhone like features and you get a great WM6.1 device with 16GB storage (+ I can add another 8GB micro SD). The battery life is good and I can swap batteries if I need to. The camera is 5MP, with flash and the video is good.

For those of you interested, here's a good review of the Omnia:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2606&cid=24&pg=1

Cheers!

C J

Oct 2, 2007
3. inside the package seem not include the stylus and pouch. at samsung webpage indicate that is an optional.

I just went to a samsung roadshow in singapore yesterday
and i tried out the i900 there.
The lady told me the stylus is included in the package.
however it is nt like normal PDA phones where the stylus can be kept
'in' the phone itself. i900's stylus is hung outside like an accessory. :confused:

5 megapixel camera but doesn't seem to take photos like a 5 megapixel camera should. nokia's n95's camera seems better.

anyway, placed an order as the stock ran out by the time i got there.

mphayvanh

Dec 11, 2006
I just got the Omnia here in Singapore and so far, its great! You can turn off most of the "fancy" (but not so useful features to me) iPhone like features and you get a great WM6.1 device with 16GB storage (+ I can add another 8GB micro SD). The battery life is good and I can swap batteries if I need to. The camera is 5MP, with flash and the video is good.

For those of you interested, here's a good review of the Omnia:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2606&cid=24&pg=1

Cheers!

Thanks for posting the review! I really like it. The only deal breaker now is the $1000+ (US dollars?) price tag. With the falling value of the US Dollar, that's a hefty price to pay for a phone (those included features are great). 2 year contract for $500? I hope. But there's still the Touch Pro.

Monty Burns

Mar 11, 2005
Doha
www.stuza.com

Excellent review. Seems unbiased and balanced, although, until someone has both handsets you can never be sure.

Connectivity: GPS with Navigation
Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP support
USB 2.0
Wi-Fi

Features:
MS Office Document Viewer, Advanced PIM Apps,

Dont think anyone in there right mind would call google maps "Navigation"? Also, MS Office VIEWER!? Reviews inaccurate from page one, not going to bother reading the rest.

After using my G900 (800 x 480) mobile for a year now, I can't say that High res screens float my boat. They are a massive drain on the battery and factoring in the physical size of the screen, really not that usefull in my opinion. Its seems to me like having a 1080p 32" tv, good in principle but unless its 46", you really don't see the full benefit.

I think i'm still looking at an I900 .... now if only they were in the shops in the UK!!!!!

p.s. Anyone from Singapore wana stick one on Ebay? :)

Last edited: