Rooted my Stock Gingerbread 2.3.5!

Search This thread

alynward

Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone that has used this method noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life?

I installed as per the OP original instruction my battery life is about 50% of what it used to be under rooted 2.2. Battery usage showed maps to be using a lot so I froze it using titanium backup. No change in performance. Tried loading os monitor ap it is not showing any ap using more than 10% at a time.

Thanks to the OP for the instruction BTW.

aww.W.T.F?

May 10, 2011
Texas
Go into recovery, wipe/factory reset, that should help. I'm on stock kk4 with the same root method, I've done the same and my battery life is the best it's ever been.

Reactions: alynward

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Awesome, thanks, I'm rooted now. Its my wife's phone, had cognition on it, so I had to flash back to froyo 2.2 and then update it. She was going to kill me if I didn't get all her stuff restored!

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
Looks like multiupload has issues. The kernel I posted is the same exact kernel the link in op.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

haha mega upload might be having the issues because the government shut it down and arrested the founders. Just maybe though.

Sent from my: Captivate running 【stock】【kk4】 rooted deodexed debloated with corn 7.03 kernel

Reactions: studacris

ShaneS429

Nov 28, 2007
For some reasons I can't get this to work.

I flashed my phone back to stock 2.1

I then went through Keis to 2.2 and then into the GB update.

I have odin and followed the steps, it says it completed the flashing of the autoroot file but on restart, there is no superuser or anything installed. I've done this multiple times and it doesn't seem to be rooting my phone.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Well it seems like for whatever reason my computer wasn't able to finish the download of the tar files from a few of the sources, it would always hang at 5.22MB. The download bar said 0 seconds remaining and without even thinking I figured it was done. I was able to get the tar file from one of the other sources (I think direct deposit) on my mac, and then transfer the file back to my pc for flashing.

Worked great once I figured that out!

Last edited:

alynward

Mar 30, 2011
thanks...I got looking around on here not knowing this was a common issue after flashing. Followed the steps for "bump charging" or some thread about conditioning the battery stats. Anyways it worked great from what I see I have about 2x the battery life of 2.2 Froyo.

balamasti

Jan 23, 2012
This is my first smartphone

I am new to Smartphone technology, this is my first smartphone. Sorry for dumb question. I understand that first tar file is for rooting. What is the use of second tar file again.

Please help me understand.

Thanks

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I am new to Smartphone technology, this is my first smartphone. Sorry for dumb question. I understand that first tar file is for rooting. What is the use of second tar file again.

Thanks

The second is putting stock kernel after rooting. Can't use the root kernel since its a different build and will cause issues. That's why you only boot once then shut down and flash the second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

balamasti

Jan 23, 2012
The second is putting stock kernel after rooting. Can't use the root kernel since its a different build and will cause issues. That's why you only boot once then shut down and flash the second.

Thank you I used the series of steps mentioned and I see my phone rooted now.

Salamankero

Jan 24, 2012
Ahhh help

I swear I have seen this before! When i go to try and flash the stock kernel back onto the phone odin locks up at the zImage file... I have tried downloading the file again, rebooting the PC, leaving the phone disconnected for a long time... etc... The root kernel works fine, but I can't get it to flash the stock back on! Any help?

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I swear I have seen this before! When i go to try and flash the stock kernel back onto the phone odin locks up at the zImage file... I have tried downloading the file again, rebooting the PC, leaving the phone disconnected for a long time... etc... The root kernel works fine, but I can't get it to flash the stock back on! Any help?

Might sound weird, but have you tried a different USB port? Sometime I have to change them around for no apparent reason.

Reactions: froggy3hope

Salamankero

Jan 24, 2012
Might sound weird, but have you tried a different USB port? Sometime I have to change them around for no apparent reason.

I did on my laptop. I was going to try my desktop this evening to see if it would work. After doing some more research I believe the problem last time I had this issue was that the zImage file was zipped using something like 7-up or winrar. I had to switch to Izarc I believe to zip it right. If the repost of the file is indeed the exact same file as was origionally posted I'm not sure why this would be a problem. I'll try the other computer and re-zipping the file this evening...

I should stop doing this, it never fails that something doesn't work for me when messing with roms. :)

I'll let ya know, any other helpful ideas are more than welcome!

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I did on my laptop. I was going to try my desktop this evening to see if it would work. After doing some more research I believe the problem last time I had this issue was that the zImage file was zipped using something like 7-up or winrar. I had to switch to Izarc I believe to zip it right. If the repost of the file is indeed the exact same file as was origionally posted I'm not sure why this would be a problem. I'll try the other computer and re-zipping the file this evening...

I should stop doing this, it never fails that something doesn't work for me when messing with roms. :)

I'll let ya know, any other helpful ideas are more than welcome!

I uploaded both ;) they are the same. Hopefully zipping with Izarc fixes it. Good Luck!

apbthe3

Mar 4, 2011

Some people swear it doesn't matter, but I have this issue if I flash without taking the SIM card out. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but it's an easy thing to try.

Mennayar

Jan 24, 2012
Thank You got it working.

I too kept getting froze on the zimage part of the kk4, which then gave me that phone <!> pc picture.

Once I had that warning image it wouldn't go into download mode or recovery mode, even with the use of a jig, yeah I made one of them this morning and all it did was showed me the warning image. Then I tried Odin with the I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears again even though I wasn't in download mode and it took. And rebooted all normal.

Now I couldn't get the .tar to get out of being stuck at zimage , therefore getting the warning image again, again ran the i897 to get out of the warning image. I did this too many times, finally the only thing that worked was a copy of the KK4 from one on the OP list fourth one down for some reason the one nakedninja42 tried to provide wouldn't work for me, it was the main KK4 I tried untill I got the one from the OP list, no clue why but that was the one that took.

But all is good, now, Thanks again OP and Nakedninja42

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am posting to say that I just successfully rooted my Captivate....

KK4 Kernel
    Gingerbread 2.3.5 (Now rooted!)

As you can see I'm super excited and this is why!

Thanks to this forum! Flashing AT&T Stock Gingerbread; now KK4, Gingerbread 2.3.5
    And to nakedninja42 !

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.
    HOWEVER, THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON MINE!

So first I ....
    Updated via Kies....First to Eclair then to Froyo bc I was coming from a custom.
    Begin by putting it in Download mode!!!!!

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
    CLICK START.
    2: Boot once, (it will install root) then shut down.
    3: Download mode again!
    4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
    CLICK START.
    vvvvvvvvvvvv THE REST ARE nakedninja42's INSTRUCTIONS vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    5:Settings>Applications> enable Unknown Sources

7:You can also Update Superuser from market (may be updated already) https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8: Install busybox from market
    I just read the other forum saying that the kernel build date is different than the leak. I had not seen that previous to our conversation. The tar for the stock KK4 I provided is from the leak update. I am still working on decrypting the kies update I obtained from the Samsung server. Glad its working, let us know if you experience any weird issues.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
    I have a AT&T captivate that i just upgraded to gingerbread 2.3.5,
    with a KK4 Kernel.
    I want to get 3 things on it,Root access+Speedmod+Slim Bean ROM.Could anyone give me a link for where i can find it or just give me the simplest steps to get it done.
    P.S i don't want to get unrooted in case you suggest busybox.
    Thanks

Corn kernel is what you'll want to flash, (not speedmod), using Odin 1.85.

From there, simply flash Slim Bean twice as it needs to rebuild the partition and you're set. As for the instructions, they're in the ROM's thread OP. Also, there are quite a few stickies you should read before jumping into this!

Thanks

There's a superuser update fixer in the play store....free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium