[APP][9/23/11] RunDroid-dual boot to (multi) Android [SD] or WM6

Search This thread

blueeyes3439

Jul 3, 2010
Can I also get version 2.1.1 ?

I am not a very technical person so I just want to make sure this won't affect the HTC Sense?

judhi

Dec 28, 2004
Dubai
Hi, just login again after long idle, seen this post and this apps sounds great! Would you share the link so I can try? Thanks!

judhi

Dec 28, 2004
Dubai
Easy setup

PM with D/L link sent - prefer staying within the confines of XDA-Developers for security reasons.

Downloaded, installed, up and running in less than 5 minutes including reboot time.
Setup is very easy and intuitive, except that no Default OS pre-selected so we have to revisit the setup. I would put the top OS in the list as Default OS, by default :)

Overall, I don't think I need to search for any other dual/multi-boot apps, will stick to this. Thanks Pop45398!

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
Downloaded, installed, up and running in less than 5 minutes including reboot time.
Setup is very easy and intuitive, except that no Default OS pre-selected so we have to revisit the setup. I would put the top OS in the list as Default OS, by default :)

Overall, I don't think I need to search for any other dual/multi-boot apps, will stick to this. Thanks Pop45398!

I don't know why you are having to revisit Setup to pick a default OS as whenever Enable Builds is run, whether during initial setup or from the Setup Menu, the Default OS Selection Menu is run right after the last build is setup. True, that menu has no pre-selected default; however if you would like to change that it's very easy:

Open RunDroid.mscr with Notepad (or any pure text editor) and search for "Sub DefaultOSsub". Then find the line in that subroutine, "Picked=Choice(ProgName & " " & Version, "^NL^ Default OS Selection Menu", 0, 0, MenuText)". Change the first "0" to "1" to have it pre-select the first OS (i.e. Picked=Choice(ProgName & " " & Version, "^NL^ Default OS Selection Menu", 1, 0, MenuText)). Note that this forum parses out extra spaces that appear in the actual file that must remain for proper text alignment. Make certain to save as pure text.

judhi

Dec 28, 2004
Dubai
I didn't select default OS when prompted during first time setup. I thought the first OS in the list will be automatically selected but it doesn't. :) no big deal.

Sent from my HTC bravo using XDA App

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
I didn't select default OS when prompted during first time setup. I thought the first OS in the list will be automatically selected but it doesn't. :) no big deal.

The reason for not having a default OS preselected and instead have the user select one during setup is because builds are listed in alphabetical order. This order is required to insure the proper folder is selected after renaming to Android is done.

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
It's me again

Sorry to be a bit impatient :D

Have you had a chance to look into my 'problem'?

Thx

Yes I have been and not having any luck, and have had to hard reset my phone several times during the process, this morning included. It seems the lockscreen is invoked with the loading of shell32.exe during initialization before startup programs are run. I've tried running programs just before shell32 but the phone hangs at boot. Running programs right after shell32 are still subject to the lock.
I've tried running the old explorer.exe in place of shell32 but that hangs the phone at boot. I haven't given up yet but it's not looking good.

iPAQ 6515a User

Mar 24, 2008
DF
Thanks for taking time to look into this little big problem hahaha

You may be right, it doesn't look promising but how about this:

Could you implement a password lock screen into your bootloader? Upon the correct password the bootloader continue to run as usual. No password or wrong password it resets (hard or soft) the device.

Just a suggestion and if it can happen, well you are the star. Anyhow, you are the star.

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for taking time to look into this little big problem hahaha

You may be right, it doesn't look promising but how about this:

Could you implement a password lock screen into your bootloader? Upon the correct password the bootloader continue to run as usual. No password or wrong password it resets (hard or soft) the device.

Just a suggestion and if it can happen, well you are the star. Anyhow, you are the star.

If you mean disabling the HTC lockscreen and just using a lockscreen built into RunDroid, that would be easy to code and would work but would not be fully secure as you can switch out of RunDroid by using hardware buttons or tapping Start Menu icon and I don't know how to disable them (I'll look into that).

iPAQ 6515a User

Mar 24, 2008
DF
If you mean disabling the HTC lockscreen and just using a lockscreen built into RunDroid ...

Yes, that's what I mean

...would not be fully secure as you can switch out of RunDroid by using hardware buttons or tapping Start Menu icon and I don't know how to disable them ....

Never thought of that. How about forcing the reset (soft or hard) if no passcode is typed in and/or any hardware button is pressed. Of course with a warning on which you can cancel the reset - in case one presses a button by mistake. The warning could have an option to be visible or not ;-)

Well, that's my creativity talking. Too bad I cannot write any software

Ah, hmm one more thing:

How to edit names of ROMs in the choice menu?

Last edited:

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
Yes, that's what I mean

Never thought of that. How about forcing the reset (soft or hard) if no passcode is typed in and/or any hardware button is pressed. Of course with a warning on which you can cancel the reset - in case one presses a button by mistake. The warning could have an option to be visible or not ;-)

Well, that's my creativity talking. Too bad I cannot write any software

I have to look into remapping keys but will have to wait till tomorrow as I have a date with 2 girls today... my 2 granddaughters.:)

Ah, hmm one more thing:

How to edit names of ROMs in the choice menu?

For now you have to rename the folders to the name you desire used. I tried an option that allows setting the desired name during setup without renaming folders but couldn't keep it from messing up which build is selected. I since have rewritten how builds are selected and the naming option might work but I've had other things more pressing; perhaps I look more into that when I get a chance.

iPAQ 6515a User

Mar 24, 2008
DF
Thanks

And enjoy your granddaughters.

And btw, I changed the names manually (too bad I didn't think of it before asking)

Have a great evening

Dave_E30

Jul 25, 2010
Hi,

I've downloaded 2.1.1 but when I un-rar it I don't see a .cab file. All I have is:

setup.xml
MORTSC-1.001
RUNDROID.002
RUNDROID.003
RUNDROID.004

Is this right?

I've put the file just in my documents on the phone, then when I go to file explorer the above files are all I see in the folder. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Dave.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created an app for dual booting automatically to Android or WM6. V2.3.2 can boot multiple version of Android on a single SD card and can be customized for text content and language. See post #2 for documentation and screenshots.

The "lite" version is a replacement for using a file explorer to run CLRCAD then HaRET, allowing Android to be started with a single tap on an icon. To install the lite version, simply un-RAR the contents to your Android folder then use a file explorer to create a Start Menu shortcut.

Please leave feedback and suggestions/questions.

French translation:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13123392&postcount=151
    Documentation and Screenshots

RunDroid app v2.3.2 for HTC HD2 by Pop45398 (@ XDA Developers)

This app can start Android on an SD card automatically on boot-up or with a single tap, thus allowing for an easy dual boot to Android or Windows Mobile, and should be compatible with all versions run with CLRCAD/HaRET. It features a setup menu which allows for user customization including setting the timeout before the default OS is started, thus allowing time to access the setup menu or select a non-default OS. It is actually a MortScript and corresponding MortRunner with a custom icon. It may work on other WM6 devices.

CHANGES:

Version 2.3.2 added a new subroutine to rename the Android folder back to its original name when “Enable Builds” is selected if RunDroid had renamed the folder to Android. This eliminates the folder being renamed to Android[1]. (Thanks to crazycranky!)

Version 2.3.1 features language/text customization. By editing RunDroid.ini with a text editor the user can now change all text for desired content and language (with exception of button text, i.e. Ok/Cancel, Yes/No). There is no longer a need to edit the script for non-English ROMs where the SD card is not called “Storage Card”, a directory tree will appear for the user to locate the SD card’s root.

Version 2.2.1 features some minor changes over v2.1.1. A StartUp shortcut is no longer used for auto-launching at boot-up, instead it is launched during the init process before StartUp programs, hence the elimination of creating and deleting shortcuts from the Setup Menu. A new option to Enable Sense has been added so that Sense can be easily re-enabled if somehow not properly re-enabled during script execution. A setup.dll is now used to run Install and Uninstall scripts.

Version 2.1.1 represents a major overhaul from version 1 and features the ability to boot to a basically unlimited number of Android builds and a guided setup that walks through the setup process on initial running. It will scan all folders in the SD card's root for Android builds, indicated by the presence of HaRET.exe. It asks whether to use each build then asks if it requires renaming the folder to Android in order to run (some builds don't require being in the Android folder). A .cab file is used for installation which is now in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device. The folder name is used for displaying the build's name in RunDroid, with one caveat: if there is more than one build and one of them is named Android, that folder will be renamed to Android[1] so that the selected build folder can be renamed to Android (which is renamed back to original when another build is selected), hence descriptive folder names should be used.

INSTALLATION:

Simply copy the .cab file to the SD card and run it with a file explorer to install. Version 2.3.1 MUST be installed to the device due to hard coded addresses required for auto-launching. This also eliminates the occasional possibility of the SD card not being initialized before RunDroid is started during boot-up. If during installation the SD card is not found by the default name “Storage Card” (usually due to a non-English ROM) a directory tree will appear for choosing the correct SD card root, not Android folder (see screenshots below for an example).

OPERATION:

Start RunDroid with the Start Menu icon. On initial running, a guided setup will walk through the settings. Menus are self-explanatory (see screenshots). Selection is done by double-tapping an entry or tapping once then tapping OK. Only the main (Boot Selection) menu is timed for auto-selecting. If auto-running at boot-up is NOT desired, select “Disable AutoStart” during initial setup or later from the Setup Menu. The Timeout Delay may be adjusted to suit the user and system (see ISSUES section below). Whenever another build is added or deleted, one is no longer desired to be run, or a folder name changed, Enable Builds must be selected from the setup menu which will once again walk through the setup of builds and default OS selection (but not other settings). Builds are displayed in alphabetical order and can only be rearranged by renaming folders, like by adding a number at the beginning of folder names.

ISSUES:

Startup programs, including HTC Sense and Notifications, etc, can briefly interfere with the ability to make selections, causing the default OS to be started before menu selections can be made. To combat this, if enabled and not already started, Sense is disabled then re-enabled on app exit. The Timeout can be adjusted to help with this. If the Timeout is set too low and selecting the Setup Menu or Boot to Windows is not possible, simply re-install the .cab. If unable to boot to Windows because Android starts before the menu appears, power off the device, remove the SD card, then power on the device; if not already at the menu, start RunDroid and go to the Setup Menu and adjust the Timeout to allow more time to access the menu, then power down and re-insert the SD card.

CUSTOMIZATION:

The user interface can be customized for text size, font type, language, and size of menu selection entries by editing RunDroid.ini with a (pure text) editor such as Notepad. Once RunDroid is installed, locate the .ini file in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device (not SD card) and open or copy to PC then open.

The following variables control the font and size of menu entries:

FontSize=23
    EntryScale=1.3
    FontType=Tahoma

Increase or decrease FontSize to make menu selection text larger or smaller. EntryScale controls the size of menu selections, larger size makes selections easier to make. The scale is in percentage of the font size, i.e. 1.3 equals 130% of the font size. To use a different FontType than Tahoma, the desired font must be installed on the device.

In addition to descriptive variable names, to make RunDroid.ini easier for editing text content and language certain conventions are used:

Variables containing “Sel” are for menu selection entries.

......WMsystemSel=Windows Mobile

Variables Containing “Hint” are for the text that appears in the upper portion. Note that “Setup Menu” is preceded by a period and several spaces. The spaces are to center the text; the period is required because leading spaces will otherwise be ignored and the text will begin on the left instead of centered.

......SetupMenuHint=. Setup Menu

Variables containing “Txt” are for messages and questions which pop-up in new windows.

......NoBuildsMessTxt=There were no Android builds using HaRET.exe found on this SD card.

Do not change the actual variable names, for example “TimeoutMessHint=”, only the text following the “=” sign as these names are hard coded into the script and the new text will not appear.

Editing prior to completing the initial setup is preferred. Once editing is complete, copy the modified file to \RunDroid, overwriting the original. A copy of the modified RunDroid.ini file should be saved somewhere besides \RunDroid because if RunDroid is reinstalled or a newer version installed the entire folder will be deleted along with the modified file. Once reinstalled, copy the modified file to \RunDroid before completing the initial setup.
    Works Great!

Thanks
    New Version

I've uploaded a new version (v2.3.2). It corrects an oversight on my part. When "Enable Builds" was selected, if RunDroid had renamed a folder to Android it was renamed to Android[1]. In v2.3.2, when "Enable Builds" is selected, if a folder has been renamed to Android it will now be renamed back to original instead of Android[1].

All credit and kudos for this change go to crazycranky!