[APP][4.3+][v2.0.1] Heads Up! - backport of heads-up notifications from Android L

Lockscreen notifications should be...

• A widget

Votes: 35 19.1%
  • A normal heads-up displayed on lockscreen

Votes: 148 80.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Well, well, well, my friends, here I am again.

After Google I/O I decided to bring the feature which I liked the most - heads-up notifications!

The filtering rules are pretty feature-rich - whitelist or blacklist, ignore or do not ignore ongoing notifications, hide notifications during quiet hours or when some apps are active...

The app is free with Pro-version, but for my friends on XDA the app is totally free-of-charge.

And here are some screenshots:
Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-10.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-15.png
Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-32.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-30-57.jpg

For people who want to support me here is the Google Play link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodblockwithoutco.headsup

If you decided to buy Pro version my app - thank you! Because of you, yes, I am talking about you, I can continue my development :)

New in 2.0.1:
-Swipe to left to dismiss heads-up only, swipe to right to dismiss heads-up and notification(can be reversed)
-Multiple notifications
-Hide heads-up while certain apps are active
-Quiet hours
-Bug fixes
-Material design
-Lollipop-compatible

New in 1.1:
-Disable auto-expand
-Ongoing notifications can be dismissed
-You can keep statusbar notifications while dismissing heads-up
-Transparency
-Ability to post test notification
-"Ignore silent" was removed due to a lot of problems it caused
-Added ability to ignore low priority notifications
-Whitelist/blacklist
-Show heads-up on lockscreen

New in 1.0.3:
-Added workaround for WhatsApp bug.

New in 1.0.2:
-Ability to completely ignore whitelist
-Fixed the bug where you always received message about starting the service
-Added hint when service is started
-Fixed transparent background bug
-You can change position of heads-up notification

Now, the final part - the APK!
Sadly, the app is available only on Android 4.3+ due to limitations of notifications listeners on versions less than 4.3. I've tried very hard to leverage accessibility services, but failed due to inability to recover full information about the notification.

Attachments

• HeadsUp_v1.0.2.apk
    298.2 KB · Views: 33,223
  • HeadsUp_v1.0.3.apk
    298.9 KB · Views: 44,752
  • HeadsUp_v1.1_fix_3.apk
    320.1 KB · Views: 6,796
  • HeadsUp_v1.1_gmail_fix.apk
    321.5 KB · Views: 11,308
  • Heads_Up_v2.0.1_XDA.apk
    2.4 MB · Views: 8,443
Last edited:

Swordxe

Jun 26, 2014
Nothing shows up when I get a message or start music :( I gave it permissions and white listed app

Swordxe

Jun 26, 2014
Which Android version do you use? Is it a MIUI by chance?

Also, try rebooting the phone. Sometimes the service doesn't start for some reason(you may check it in the Running apps section).

Nevermind I restarted my phone and it worked and I'm using Samsung galaxy s4 4.4.2 everything works but there's no background on the notification unless it's supposed to look like that. . And it crashed when I double tap the notification

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-26-17-33-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-26-17-33-07.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 9,257

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Nevermind I restarted my phone and it worked and I'm using Samsung galaxy s4 4.4.2 everything works but there's no background on the notification unless it's supposed to look like that. . And it crashed when I double tap the notification

Well, it's not supposed to look like that. I'll see that I can do about it. What app posted that notification?

Reactions: jondoe27
Good job! But like Swordxe, it doesn't have a background too. But it does what it is supposed to when double tapped.

[emoji106]

Running stock Asus on 4.3.

Edit: Just found out it does nothing for gmail notifications.

Last edited:

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Good job! But like Swordxe, it doesn't have a background too. But it does what it is supposed to when double tapped.

[emoji106]

Running stock Asus on 4.3.

Edit: Just found out it does nothing for gmail notifications.

Have you white listed gmail?
It did not reacted to Gmail notification when it arrived, or you just seen that there is Gmail notification in statusbar, but no heads-up?

Last edited:
Reactions: jondoe27

reuss32

Apr 22, 2014
Nothing shows up (HTC One M8 android 4.4.2 stock rooted rom)

Hi there,

I have aproximately same issue, i have granted permissions but nothing shows up. I must recognize i use dot view mods, may it generates a conflict, i haven't tried to disable it, it will be my next action.

But i tried what you said reboot system, and check if application process was running, then yes it was, but nothing to do, no notification appears.
Any idea?

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Hi there,

I have aproximately same issue, i have granted permissions but nothing shows up. I must recognize i use dot view mods, may it generates a conflict, i haven't tried to disable it, it will be my next action.

But i tried what you said reboot system, and check if application process was running, then yes it was, but nothing to do, no notification appears.
Any idea?

Have you added necessary applications to whitelist? Also check filtering rules.

Reactions: dodcat and jondoe27

reuss32

Apr 22, 2014
Please post screenshots of filtering rules and whitelist.
From what app you're expecting notifications?

Hi Dr.Alexander_Breen,

In fact i love testing new things, i'm not expecting something in particular it is only for test, but i add a screenshot of app tested in whitelist as you asked.

Thank you very much for your help
Regards

Ahmed3335

Jun 27, 2014
arwebzone.com
Hi there,

Any idea?
Will it work on my Sony Xperia with Android Jelly Bean ?

Have you white listed gmail?
It did not reacted to Gmail notification when it arrived, or you just seen that there is Gmail notification in statusbar, but no heads-up?
Yes, I have shortlisted Gmail. I am waiting for a mail to arrive and check if it still does not do anything when it arrives. I will post white list and filter rules later if gmail still fails.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, well, well, my friends, here I am again.

After Google I/O I decided to bring the feature which I liked the most - heads-up notifications!

The filtering rules are pretty feature-rich - whitelist or blacklist, ignore or do not ignore ongoing notifications, hide notifications during quiet hours or when some apps are active...

The app is free with Pro-version, but for my friends on XDA the app is totally free-of-charge.

And here are some screenshots:
    Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-10.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-27-32.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-03-30-57.jpg

For people who want to support me here is the Google Play link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodblockwithoutco.headsup

If you decided to buy Pro version my app - thank you! Because of you, yes, I am talking about you, I can continue my development :)

New in 2.0.1:
    -Swipe to left to dismiss heads-up only, swipe to right to dismiss heads-up and notification(can be reversed)
    -Multiple notifications
    -Hide heads-up while certain apps are active
    -Quiet hours
    -Bug fixes
    -Material design
    -Lollipop-compatible

New in 1.1:
    -Disable auto-expand
    -Ongoing notifications can be dismissed
    -You can keep statusbar notifications while dismissing heads-up
    -Transparency
    -Ability to post test notification
    -"Ignore silent" was removed due to a lot of problems it caused
    -Added ability to ignore low priority notifications
    -Whitelist/blacklist
    -Show heads-up on lockscreen

New in 1.0.3:
    -Added workaround for WhatsApp bug.

New in 1.0.2:
    -Ability to completely ignore whitelist
    -Fixed the bug where you always received message about starting the service
    -Added hint when service is started
    -Fixed transparent background bug
    -You can change position of heads-up notification

Now, the final part - the APK!
    Sadly, the app is available only on Android 4.3+ due to limitations of notifications listeners on versions less than 4.3. I've tried very hard to leverage accessibility services, but failed due to inability to recover full information about the notification.
    Okay guys, here I am.

I am currently pretty busy with my calculus+linear algebra+vectory analysis+complex analysis state exam.
    After 4th of July I'll continue my work.

The only thing left to do is the blacklist/whitelist swap, and privacy settings(show/don't show specific apps on lockscreen).
    So, please stay tuned, guys, update is coming.

Also, Google uploaded source code of Android L for Nexus 4, which is a good sign. Probably Nexus 4 will see Android L after all. If so, I will also adapt the app for Android L.

Stacked notifications and custom background will have to wait until version 1.2, which will come after 1.1, obviously.
    It seems that XKCD picture about Ballmer Peak is true :D

Finished whitelist/blacklist. Now you can choose between three options: No app filtering, blacklist filtering, whitelist filtering.

Now I just need to implement lockscreen detection, and I will publish new update. It's likely to happen tomorrow, or the day after.

P.S. Also, I passed the exam successfully with the mark 8/10. This is basically 5/5, or "Perfect". Woo-hoo!
    Phew. Everything went OK :) though I had to change some things in my educational plans, the changes are not bad - just a different direction connected with quantum computers :D
    I'll be home tomorrow, so from tomorrow I'll continue the development, hooray!
    So, I've implemented lockscreen heads-up.
    You can have:
    1) Whitelist:
    -Allow to show heads-up
    -Allow to show heads-up on lockscreen
    So, only the ones that are ticked will be displayed on lockscreen and/or on normal screen. First option does not exclude the second, and vice versa.

2)Same goes for blacklist, but you instead can:
    -Disallow to show heads-up
    -Disallow to show heads-up on lockscreen

3) You can disable app filtering at all. All notifications will be shown on lockscreen and normal screen.

The things left to implement:
    -Fix the weird thing happening with whitelist(the settings are messed up after you scroll the list a bit)
    -Add a couple of options

Hope I'll finish it soon if I won't be eaten by ghosts or something, there are some weird creaks in my house, the wind is literally going insane and dogs outside are howling, boooo :D