[Truth][Dev info] Do You Know What's in Your Battery -[Pics] Current Protection Chips

Search This thread

tonwarr.the.incredible

Jun 10, 2010
Those chips are more of a fail safe than over charge protection, it's like a fuse in case something goes very very wrong.

If you read the article below you will see how it is still possible to overcharge the battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I don't care about any current information out there. I'm still gonna run SBC until either my phone melts into a puddle of plastic or it explodes and takes me with it...lol...I've seen you post the same things on several different threads but believe the boundaries of technology are going to be pushed/tested for the benefit of the community. I may not have the "facts" but I've had no problems so I'm going to carry on.:) Thank you for your concern though.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
I don't care about any current information out there. I'm still gonna run SBC until either my phone melts into a puddle of plastic or it explodes and takes me with it...lol...I've seen you post the same things on several different threads but believe the boundaries of technology are going to be pushed/tested for the benefit of the community. I may not have the "facts" but I've had no problems so I'm going to carry on.:) Thank you for your concern though.

Thats fine, I'm not going to try to stop you. I'm just wondering why you felt the need to tell me that when my reply was directed towards someone else who had a valid question?

To be honest I'm not concerned about you :)

tonwarr.the.incredible

Jun 10, 2010
Thats fine, I'm not going to try to stop you. I'm just wondering why you felt the need to tell me that when my reply was directed towards someone else who had a valid question?

To be honest I'm not concerned about you :)

Because, frankly, I'm sick of seeing you naysayers posting this dribble trying to discredit the hard work of many here on XDA! Information should only be taken at face value because for every article that makes one claim, another will say the opposite! Anyways, good luck with your crusade sir...lol

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Because, frankly, I'm sick of seeing you naysayers posting this dribble trying to discredit the hard work of many here on XDA! Information should only be taken at face value because for every article that makes one claim, another will say the opposite! Anyways, good luck with your crusade sir...lol

Well bud, there are facts and then there are your claims. If someone asks a question I assume they want to know the truth and not what someones biased opinion is. I'm not on here to discredit anyone's "hard work" but this has the potential to do more than brick someone's phone so I will correct them when they lie to people.

You know if people would quit putting posting about things they know nothing about then none of this would be necessary.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
Those chips are more of a fail safe than over charge protection, it's like a fuse in case something goes very very wrong.

If you read the article below you will see how it is still possible to overcharge the battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

It seems that from this statement:

"Commercial lithium ion packs contain a protection circuits that limit the charge voltage to 4.30V/cell, 0.10 volts higher than the voltage threshold of the charger. Temperature sensing disconnects the charge if the cell temperature approaches 90°C (194°F), and a mechanical pressure switch on many cells permanently interrupt the current path if a safe pressure threshold is exceeded."

From that same article that overcharging occurs above 4.3 V and that through Li ion tech and charger design that there are many failsafes to PREVENT this from happening.

Besides, overcharging isn't the claimed issue, its maintenance of voltage above a certain threshold.

On another note, I have been comparing the charging habits with the latest CM kernel vs the SBC kernels and I have noticed that the maintained voltage level as reported by Battery Monitoring Widget as almost identical between the two kernels. What differes is that the CM kernel will allow dischargind (not seemingly enough to drop voltage, and also for short periods of time (<5min)), while the SBC kernel seems to never discharge, though gradually approaches 0 mA while maintaining the same level of voltage.

bisby

Aug 7, 2010
Not impossible.

Collect all reports of battery failures since the Evo launch. Then try to correlate these events with the use of SBC kernels.

Correlation does not make something 100% true. By that argument, 100% of the fire-phones are EVO's. So we can conclude that the EVO is a fiery deathtrap.

Since we don't have access to the fire-phones pre-fire. We have no proof that it was SBC that caused it. Not saying that SBC isn't dangerous. It may cause fires. But these 6 examples aren't necessarily caused by SBC.

I have a BS in EE. I get the difference in voltage and current. I'd put SBC dangers at "likely" based solely on the brief physics explaination despite the fact that I have no idea about how these charging algorithms work (I haven't used or looked into SBC at all).
However, I also understand probablity and statistics. We already said that theres no where near 60,000 SBC users... so the sample size is going to be quite small. Correlations at this point may be just very odd probability.
PROVING the potential dangers of SBC are going to be based on physics and engineering.

The "the truth must be known" argument goes both ways. It's dumb to argue "This kernel is 100% guaranteed safe" for more reasons just beyond this possible way to damage batteries. However, its also dumb to argue "omg this kernel will 100% destroy your phone". Allowing the user to make an informed decision is important, presenting it in a fear-mongering way is not.
Airplanes crash, its part of real life... And therefore on EVERY flight (in america anyway) they are required to go over emergency procedures before the plane takes off. Its presented in a "hey, this can and DOES happen" way. not a "hey, this is GOING to happen" way.

Reactions: aimbdd and TpyoKnig

tonwarr.the.incredible

Jun 10, 2010
Well bud, there are facts and then there are your claims. If someone asks a question I assume they want to know the truth and not what someones biased opinion is. I'm not on here to discredit anyone's "hard work" but this has the potential to do more than brick someone's phone so I will correct them when they lie to people.

You know if people would quit putting posting about things they know nothing about then none of this would be necessary.

Lol.... today's fact is tomorrow's fiction, it's just one great idea away!

tonwarr.the.incredible

Jun 10, 2010
Correlation does not make something 100% true. By that argument, 100% of the fire-phones are EVO's. So we can conclude that the EVO is a fiery deathtrap.

Since we don't have access to the fire-phones pre-fire. We have no proof that it was SBC that caused it. Not saying that SBC isn't dangerous. It may cause fires. But these 6 examples aren't necessarily caused by SBC.

I have a BS in EE. I get the difference in voltage and current. I'd put SBC dangers at "likely" based solely on the brief physics explaination despite the fact that I have no idea about how these charging algorithms work (I haven't used or looked into SBC at all).
However, I also understand probablity and statistics. We already said that theres no where near 60,000 SBC users... so the sample size is going to be quite small. Correlations at this point may be just very odd probability.
PROVING the potential dangers of SBC are going to be based on physics and engineering.

The "the truth must be known" argument goes both ways. It's dumb to argue "This kernel is 100% guaranteed safe" for more reasons just beyond this possible way to damage batteries. However, its also dumb to argue "omg this kernel will 100% destroy your phone". Allowing the user to make an informed decision is important, presenting it in a fear-mongering way is not.
Airplanes crash, its part of real life... And therefore on EVERY flight (in america anyway) they are required to go over emergency procedures before the plane takes off. Its presented in a "hey, this can and DOES happen" way. not a "hey, this is GOING to happen" way.

That is essentially how I feel without the technical knowledge to back it up... not saying something couldn't go wrong but until I'm proven wrong, I'll take my chances. I'd rather get my money's worth out of my extended life battery since, without SBC or an external charger, I'd never get a full charge and therefore would have wasted my hard-earned money...

MikeOD

Mar 9, 2009
I'm just curious...has anyone ever watched how a Touch Pro 2 charges it's battery...is it different than the way the Evo handles it?...it's the same battery.

I wonder because, my TP2, would charge to 100%, and would slowly tick down 99 98 97 and so on through the day off the charger...the Evo does the same with SBC and without SBC automatically drops quite a bit off 100 immediately.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel Devs, here's what I found, with pictures to document it.
    Li-ion batteries are protected by current limiter chips. SBC kernels cannot exceed safe charging limits because the chips preclude ( stop) it. At the end of the post is a reference to the chip which controls the amperage and voltage, to and from the battery.

I decided to look inside one of my extended $10 3500ma EVO batteries, in order to see how SBC kernels could impact the battery.
    attachment.php

I took a series of pictures. Most were 10x and the chip number was 60x. Please be sure to check them.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

VV - The four familiar contact pads for the battery.
    attachment.php

VV - The picture (at 10x) below is of the chip which controls the operation of the battery.
    It is surrounded by the red tape.
    attachment.php

VV- The numbers on the controller chip are readable at 60x. Note
    it says 8205A, and a mfg (date) code.
    attachment.php

What I found was that a 8205 chip is used to provide protection and prevent over charging and over-discharging. Here is a quote from a google search.

Since the batteries are hardware protected, SBC kernels cannot overule and exceed the protection.

Here is a sequel to this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=913401
    It is a test of the battery protection circuit. The concept is one of standard electrons. No magical or invisible electrons allowed. If an electron is added it gets accounted for in any of the possible ways. Usually it's an increase in voltage / heat of the battery.
    So basically, there is a hardware failsafe designed to prevent these batteries from exploding... so what happens when one of the hardware failsafes fails? How many evos have people reported as faulty? Quite a few... we have seen bad screens, bad cases, bad buttons, etc. Who's to say that there haven't also been bad 8205a chips too? Maybe HTC even *gasp* KNEW that these chips were prone to failure and introduced the 90% charge in anticipation of this?

No one can be 100% sure if these "SBC" kernels are to blame. Correlation does not imply causation. But that said, I think that if you understand enough about the electrical engineering involved, you will realize that gaining 10% more battery life isn't worth the risk of a fire hazard and a destroyed phone. It's easy to say "hey, new kernel, cool!" But then if something catastrophic happens all of a sudden it's "oh crap why did I do that?!"

Of course you can do whatever you choose with your phone, it is your choice. I personally am not going to screw around with introducing potential instability to a piece of hardware that already has enough stability problems as it is.
    http://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

No trickle charge is applied because lithium-ion is unable to absorb overcharge. A continuous trickle charge above 4.05V/cell would causes plating of metallic lithium that could lead to instabilities and compromise safety. Instead, a brief topping charge is provided to compensate for the small self-discharge the battery and its protective circuit consume. Depending on the battery, a topping charge may be repeated once every 20 days. Typically, the charge kicks in when the open terminal voltage drops to 4.05V/cell and turns off at a high 4.20V/cell.

What happens if a battery is inadvertently overcharged? lithium-ion is designed to operate safely within their normal operating voltage but become unstable if charged to higher voltages. When charging above 4.30V, the cell causes plating of metallic lithium on the anode; the cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and releases oxygen. Overcharging causes the cell to heat up. If left unattended, the cell could vent with flame.
    Not impossible.

Collect all reports of battery failures since the Evo launch. Then try to correlate these events with the use of SBC kernels.

As another electrical engineer, I am compelled to note that the OP is ... well, wrong.

The 4.4V limit that the S-8205 chip kicks in at is JUST ONE WAY to blow up a Li+ cell. That is to say, if you hit 4.4V, then something certainly has gone wrong, but that's not the only way for something to have gone wrong. (Indeed, when people report "my battery has stopped working!", this is probably what has happened.)

There are still other ways to kill a Li+ cell, though, as the other engineers in this thread have alluded to. Li+ cells care, in particular, not about instantaneous terminal voltage, but instead about current pumped in over time -- that is to say, if you keep pumping in current over a long period of time, even after the battery has absorbed a full charge, then although the voltage might not rise to 4.4V, the battery will still undergo permanent damage.

Lithium-ion batteries are some of the most complex electrical devices that we know of, and charge algorithms for them are almost never as simple as they might seem. For that reason, it is really dangerous to experiment with your own charge algorithms. There is no protection that can really protect against a bad charge algorithm; there is nothing stopping you from seriously damaging your phone and battery.

joshua