[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
FasterFix and GPS Test are what I use... FasterFix to set it to North America server, and GPS Test to clear and update the A-GPS data, and with GPS Test open, enable GPS... It locks in seconds indoors to 10+ satellites... Part of my setup routine...

This doesn't fix the issue, I had tried already. FasterFix and GPS Test will have no effect if the GPS can't even start.

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Im on ATT, Stock, no root, on JB and i have the gps issue as well with no fix. My GPS icon will go away and it will say (searching for GPS Signal) and restart is the only fix.

Sometimes it will happen in the middle of using my NAV, sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times a day. I use my phone for a GPS since i travel all day for work, and this really sucks. i would think that Samsung would be fixing this issue right away, but seems like its been going on for months now.

FYI, my phone is only a few weeks old, and was bought new with JB installed.

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Im on ATT, Stock, no root, on JB and i have the gps issue as well with no fix. My GPS icon will go away and it will say (searching for GPS Signal) and restart is the only fix.

Sometimes it will happen in the middle of using my NAV, sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times a day. I use my phone for a GPS since i travel all day for work, and this really sucks. i would think that Samsung would be fixing this issue right away, but seems like its been going on for months now.

FYI, my phone is only a few weeks old, and was bought new with JB installed.

Just did a factory reset last night from Recovery Mode, GPS still fails after about 10 mins of use. This is really sad for a stock phone to have these issues.

MercilessLTD

Jul 18, 2012
Just a few of my personal observations...

+1 on must be unrooted ICS. Rooted, or JB, will not work. I tried.

Also, when I Odin-ed stock ICS and booted, I was stuck on the Samsung logo. I pulled the battery and booted into stock recovery (3e) and did the factory reset. This (not the dialer code) will reset your internal storage.

The general consensus I'm seeing is that GPS is easily lost when flashing a non-AT&T port to your AT&T phone (even if it's for AT&T). For instance, I flashed GalaxyMod and this is when I lost my GPS. This isn't the dev's fault; I'm not blaming them in the slightest. It's something to do with the location services differing between carriers from what I gather.

All in all, it worked when I followed the OP exactly starting at step 1. (Imagine that... ;) )

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Just a few of my personal observations...

+1 on must be unrooted ICS. Rooted, or JB, will not work. I tried.

Also, when I Odin-ed stock ICS and booted, I was stuck on the Samsung logo. I pulled the battery and booted into stock recovery (3e) and did the factory reset. This (not the dialer code) will reset your internal storage.

The general consensus I'm seeing is that GPS is easily lost when flashing a non-AT&T port to your AT&T phone (even if it's for AT&T). For instance, I flashed GalaxyMod and this is when I lost my GPS. This isn't the dev's fault; I'm not blaming them in the slightest. It's something to do with the location services differing between carriers from what I gather.

All in all, it worked when I followed the OP exactly starting at step 1. (Imagine that... ;) )

I just think that being a stock phone, they should have a fix for it. I dont do custom roms or anything. I need my GPS!!!

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
I just can't understand my GPS issues.

Running AOKP my GPS works without an issue.

Running any touchwiz ROM I can not lock on a GPS.

I have tried restoring nandroid backups of ICS and JB stock roms, odin stock ICS and JB, odin to ICS and then OTA to JB update.

I have also tried the fixes in the GPS thread and nothing works to get GPS back on touchwiz.

Anyone have any other ideas to pursue?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I just can't understand my GPS issues.

Running AOKP my GPS works without an issue.

Running any touchwiz ROM I can not lock on a GPS.

I have tried restoring nandroid backups of ICS and JB stock roms, odin stock ICS and JB, odin to ICS and then OTA to JB update.

I have also tried the fixes in the GPS thread and nothing works to get GPS back on touchwiz.

Anyone have any other ideas to pursue?

Did you try restoring the ICS nandroid and then follow it up with the dialer code?

Reactions: mymusicathome

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
Did you try restoring the ICS nandroid and then follow it up with the dialer code?

I will have to give that a shot. After restoring a nandroid or using odin I just do a factory reset, format internal sdcard and then start maps and select navigate.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I will have to give that a shot. After restoring a nandroid or using odin I just do a factory reset, format internal sdcard and then start maps and select navigate.

I think the dialer code does something extra to fix the GPS. That's what I noticed.

Make sure it's ICS, not JB stock. The dialer code doesn't work otherwise.

Reactions: mymusicathome

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
I think the dialer code does something extra to fix the GPS. That's what I noticed.

Make sure it's ICS, not JB stock. The dialer code doesn't work otherwise.

Thanks again for the help... works like a charm now.

Thanks also to the OP. I'm pretty sure when I first started watching this thread it didn't mention the dialer code... surprised I didn't get flamed for not reading the OP :S haha

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
I think i finally fixed my GPS. My GPS hasnt worked right since i bought the phone new last month. The phone came with JB already installed from ATT. My phone is stock, no root.

My issue was that after 10-20mins, my GPS icon would disappear and it woud say (searching for GPS). Only was to fix would be to restart phone.

So i tried all the above tricks plus some, nothing! So i finally did a full reset from recovery mode (which still didnt work) but then when i was resetting the maps and GPS stuff, a question popped up on my phone that asked if i would let google collect data from my phone and store some data on my device. Last time i said no when i bought the phone, but i said yes this time.

I took a 4 hr drive yesterday, worked all day, and today ive used it 4 times for about 30 mins each and still works! So far so good, ill update later in the week to see if its still working.

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone have a stock phone they can send me all the settings and how they are configured? My GPS was working great for a week, all day long, now its back to loosing the GPS signal and needing restarted several times a day, and i didnt change anything!

Im really starting to hate this phone.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
Does anyone have a stock phone they can send me all the settings and how they are configured? My GPS was working great for a week, all day long, now its back to loosing the GPS signal and needing restarted several times a day, and i didnt change anything!

Im really starting to hate this phone.

Try using FasterFix and GPS Test to get a lock... FasterFix to change to North American servers, and GPS Test clear and update A-GPS data...

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
I have gps test and cleared and updated now. What does that do? Also fast fix you have to be rooted. I'm stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
I have gps test and cleared and updated now. What does that do? Also fast fix you have to be rooted. I'm stock

Pretty much just downloads new Assisted-GPS data... FasterFix sets it to use North American servers for that data... It may not work for you, but it's something I do after flashing a ROM, and don't have any GPS issues... Are you able to get a lock?

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Yes I got a lock and it works great for a while, then it looses all gps signal. It works fine again after a restart

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
back to stock odin and hard reset wroked. Had to do hard reset for it to return but it did. Thanks for that as I've not seen that before

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
    (OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
    1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
    (Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
    2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
    3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
    (IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
    4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
    5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
    6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
    7. reboot the phone
    8. Update google maps (very important)
    9.reboot for safe measure
    10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
    11. boot up maps
    12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
    1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
    2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
    3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
    2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
    3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
    GPS fix Back Permanent I747

if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
    becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
    i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
    wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

now check your GPS from gps software...

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....
    Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
    OP updated with new info.
    Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
    I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.