MetroPCS version (T-Mobile compatible) Galaxy Mega thread.

Search This thread

mingkee

This thread is specially dedicated for MetroPCS version (SGH-M819N) Galaxy Mega.
Rooting, unlocking, and everything.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 4,030
Last edited:

bob60626

Feb 7, 2013
Chicago
I wonder if this is a fully T-Mobile/new Metro capable phone or just a rebadged AT&T Mega, like how some MVNO's say they are now usable for AT&T/international phones because of the refarming...

perrisiam

Feb 13, 2010
picked mine up yesterday through my metro branch, , I had to tell him it was available, he got on the phone and ordered a few right then so I got the first one available in my area, came here to see if there's a root yet and figured I'd give a quick rundown

had no problem getting used to the size, it took all of one phone call, fell in love with it, not cumbersome and felt natural, I only have average sized hands at best

but I cannot get gestures to work yet, not sure I am going to like using them but would be nice to try

For those using pda.net, the phone would not find host until I unclicked "automtic" in proxy settings in chrome, then it worked fine

Also, my lg spirit only gave me 4-8 mgs download, I thought it was the carrier but the mega gets me 25, I didn't realize there was a hardware limitation on some radio/ antenae

Last edited:

lojak29

Aug 18, 2010
Has anyone confirmed root on the metro version... and is this Basically a tmobile mega with metro bloat... jiat ss wr seen with the metro S4?

Im just wondering if cf auto root will work or flashing twrp/cwm recovery in odin then flahsing su. Just as we can do with all s4 variants...
Hope this thread picks up now that the phones out.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using xda app-developers app

lojak29

Aug 18, 2010
Root m819n Successfully with kingo universal root tool exe.
Happy rooting:beer:

lojak29

Aug 18, 2010
Can anybody report it can be used with T-Mobile SIM without unlocking?

100% Not
Metro locks that part up...
Ivw tried on mine and my metro s4 I had.
You can pay for unlock thru cellunlocker.net or fastgsm.com

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

On the other hand I havent tried the *#197328640# dialer hack method to sim unlock it used to work on all galaxys prior to 4.1.2 update

Reactions: Christogq

mingkee

100% Not

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

On the other hand I havent tried the *#197328640# dialer hack method to sim unlock it used to work on all galaxys prior to 4.1.2 update

How about *#27663368378#?

perrisiam

Feb 13, 2010
Root m819n Successfully with kingo universal root tool exe.
Happy rooting:beer:

wouldn't work for me, the driver installed into computer then won't install successfully,onto the phone thanks for the link though

They say to try a direct download of their driver, will give that a go tomorrow

edit

after a few re-installs and contacting kingroot, root does indeed work from kingroot, I don't know if they changed anything on their servers but I now have root

is there a clockworkmod recovery for this phone yet?

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Also, my lg spirit only gave me 4-8 mgs download, I thought it was the carrier but the mega gets me 25, I didn't realize there was a hardware limitation on some radio/ antenae

your spirit was running on metros lte network, the mega is on tmobiles hence the speed difference

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
according to the salesman, my lg was running lte, which is not on the metro network, and when I did switch from the motion to the spirit there was a doubling of speed, he says I was on the tmobile network

metro has its own lte network, granted it runs like crap and has speeds from 2-8mbps with a max of 12mbps. tmobile only recently unveiled their lte network and started to work on merging metro's into it, on tmobile you can expect around 20 with max around 35.

the lg spirit was cdma and on metro's network, the mega is on gsm and tmobiles. youll get faster speeds and better overall battery thanks to gsm, but tower placement means that you could have worse signal depending where they are located.

lojak29

Aug 18, 2010
oudhs cwm soon for m819n.
Shabby ....
I will be working on dumping my recovery today and passing it yo you.... so we can get startrd on a cwm based recovery...

rekamyenom

Sep 20, 2010
Clearwater
Shabby ....
I will be working on dumping my recovery today and passing it yo you.... so we can get startrd on a cwm based recovery...

:good:

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Shabby ....

I am trying to Enable the T-Mobile AWS and HSPAP Bands on the AT&T i527 Mega. Any input is appreciated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2526041

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
I soft bricked it already

I SOFT bricked my Metro PCS mega installing (of all things) a font - rookie move! Now it freezes at the Metro PCS boot screen. I'm at a wall since we don't yet have firmware from samsung to flash in ODIN or a custom recovery (so I don't have a nandroid backup).

However, before bricking the phone, I did root it, install titanium backup pro, and created an "update.zip" file and specifically included both user and system apps and data. The file exceeds 1gb in size and has all the system apks, "tar.gz" files, odex files, etc. (along with my downloaded user apps). I want to find a way to install the "update.zip" file in hopes that it brings my phone back to life.

I tried installing it in the stock recovery but the signature verification failed. The titanium backup "update.zip" file is intended to be used with a custom recovery.

I can get still into recovery mode and download mode and my computer recognizes the phone in download mode. Does anyone know if I can sideload it via adb (an option in the stock recovery) and, if so, would that bypass the signature verification? I'm trying to think what I can do without further messing up my phone (I don't want to HARD brick it). Not familiar with adb so I would probably need a walk though on how to do that

If anyone knows anything I could do, I would appreciate it. I'm desperate to get this back working.

starmaster10

Feb 7, 2012
Saskatoon
You might have to do a "wipe data/factory reset" in the recovery mode but you will go back to when you first got the phone, i believe your backed up data will stay..it is worth a try but is up to you. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, getting 36M in KC

Read entire thread and did not see a full confirmation... Will this work on T-MO after unlock? Tried searching a few places for unlock but cannot find the Metro PCS model... can any one give a lead?

Yes MetroPCS SGH-M819N unlocked, works great on t-mobile. Average down is 15M, but often 20M, and sustained bursts of 35M are seen. KC is a refarmed area so ymmv... Running silesh.nair's cm11, mokee, aosp, and beanstalk (all have populated apn's from the get-go). All run great, tho battery life is barely half of stock rom (sigh)

Btw, I also have the issue that others report with his latest twrp. When restoring a backup, the media folder isnt there so some UI sounds not triggered, and boot animation is the old school "android" most of us will remember from the g1 running cm. Clean installs are as expected, its only from restored nandroid backups.
    Can anybody report it can be used with T-Mobile SIM without unlocking?

100% Not

Do not lose hope. As long as you manage to access download (odin) mode, you still can recover.
    Make sure you have Kies installed. Turn on the phone to access Download Mode (sorry, since I don't have Mega so I don't know what key combo to access Download Mode.
    Once you accessed Download Mode, open Kies and connect the phone, and Initialize the firmware and wait, but you can "steal" the ROM which can be used with Odin.
    Make sure you unhide the files and go to C:\Users\(username)\Local\temp
    Sort the files by date modified and start the flashing. You may notice there is a huge file. Copy the file to anywhere and rename the huge file extension to tar.md5.
    having the same problem, i soft bricked changing dpi, recovery failed and cant get kies to connect
    You have to look at device manager with the device connected in downlad mode and see whether it has error. If you see any, try to manually install the driver by installing Samsung ADB device.

Edit: Make sure this driver is installed in order to make download through Kies work (of course you have to fully install Kies 2.x first).
    I rooted today using Kingo and it reported success and installed the SuperUser app. I am running stock 4.2.2 FYI.

For some reason now I am unable to update NOR am I able to add a Google user account. Whenever I try to add a Google account OR open any app that requires Google Account credentials, they close immediately. I can't even open the Google Play store.

I tried loading the Google Apps package manually (via stock recovery) with no luck from HERE:

Also, I can't update/recover the firmware over WiFi NOR using Kies via USB.

What gives?

Maybe knox not playing nice