Razrdock Mod [Stage: I. Planning][Updated :P]

Search This thread

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
READ FIRST:
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YET IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, IT IS INCOMPLETE AND STILL REQUIRES ME TO BUY THE EQUIPMENT AND TEST EVERYTHING, I MAY NOT BE CORRECT IN SOME THINGS AND YOU MAY RUIN YOUR LAPDOCK, THANKS!

Alright I give credits to seven2099 for bringing this up, so now we have two projects to make the lapdock run on it's own.

So instead of using the CottonCandy FXI, I will be using the MK802 Allwinner A10 (When it gets back into stock).

giuanz has helped out a lot by getting a hold of one of these MK units before me... And gave very good details on the problems...

Log:
6/3/12 -- Posts: 1 2 3
So far: We discussed Voltage and amps that will power the MK, so far there are problems, but this is at a glance as we don't have a unit yet. But it seems that the lapdock won't proide enough juice to power the MK...

6/12/12-6/14/12 -- Posts: 1 2 3
Alright so guianz has recieved his MK units and 2 problems have come up...
1. The resolution is not compatible. The HDMI output on the MK doesn't give the lapdock resolution 1366x768. A solution may be done by extracting the file from the razr leak for the webtop that decides resolution and putting it in the MK unit. It may or may not work, lets hope it does!
2. The output:
It would refuse to boot with any USB port I tried it with (red light comes up but no boot) - it would only power up with the power supply. Didn't try with lapdock as I'm still missing the adapter cable but I bet it's a current limit problem, like it probably really takes more than 1a to boot.
That explains everything... Everything will be looked in, thanks...

What you need:
-Lapdock, NO?!?!
-Xacto knife or similar
-Hot Glue
-Screwdrivers (Unsure of which ones, will update)
-Maybe more, will update

What you need to buy:
-HDMI Upgrade Kit (May need up to 3)
-MK802 Allwinner A10
-HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter
-Maybe more, will update

TOC:
I. Planning
II. Connections
-- First we must test to make sure that everything cable-wise is working (HDMI can be seen from lapdock, keyboard mouse goes through USB) so that we can move on the the software
III. OS + Software
-- We have to make sure that the drivers are working for ICS and that everything is setup correctly.
IV. Placement + Hardmod
-- We must take apart the lapdock (The back panels only), and the A10 to get them to fit and work properly. We must also get the on/off working by screen opening and closing)
V. Guide (When completed)

II. Connections
geeky-gadgets.com said:
The MK802 is also equipped with 2 x USB ports, one full-sized and one micro, and runs Google’s latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) operating system. As well as being equipped with a HDMI port for connecting to your monitor of preference.

Connectivity on the MK802 is provided by WiFi 802.11b/g, with 4GB of Flash storage as standard, which can be increased to 32GB via the microSD card slot.

So according to geeky-gadgets & the chinese retailers we have 2 USB ports, one full and one micro. Great isn't it? Not really, because the lapdock provides power through the micro-usb and the A10 has it's own power port... So we need to cut up the USB and solder the cables to two different connectors. The data cables will be soldered to the micro-usb connector from the HDMI upgrade kit, the power cables will be soldered to the power connector that comes with the A10.

But now we get to HDMI. This will take more time... We are gonna use the [HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter] it will convert the hdmi from the lapdock straight to normal HDMI, this is a bit hefty so we will have to use a Xacto knife or similar to cut it up... Once we get it's guts then we can make room for it when we hardmod the lapdock.

III. OS + Software
To come, once I buy everything and get them connected.
What I think for now: Since ICS doesn't have any of Moto's drivers in it yet we can connect it to the lapdock and use the key+mouse proves that they must be generic drivers. (Have to test this theory)

IV. Hardmod + Placement
To come, once I finish the other two...

V. Guide
To Come, once I finish everything.

Last edited:

primus33

Jul 5, 2005
GB
meettomy.site
No No, i'll read your post and this remember me the mod of lapdock (HDMI) for use with other device (PS3). I plan myself to build an adapter for HDMI & USB for use it with other device (it your case the MK802 Allwinner A10).

Keep us updated for your mod :)

PS: A silent reader of XDA since modding my HTC Diamond :)

Last edited:

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
Bump so people can see it. And a mini notice:
I will be listing many things on my ebay account to sell over time, many of which are from work... Others from home... Most of what you can buy will be used to fund for this project...

On a note if I can raise enough money, I should be able to make multiple of them to sell for cheap on xda... I'll see how it goes... So if any of you are interested in this project or what I've listed on ebay don't hesitate to buy it...

Ebay: myworld.ebay.com/ih3876

Hello Alaq,

I wish you come up with something and show us what useful stuff can be achieved with a lapdock. And that being said, i honestly didn'T like the thread title cause it reminds me us false motorola timing table. I hope this project doesn't become obsolete like motorola's update table.

Stage 1 : Wait 4 months
Stage 2 : Wait 2 months for rolling
Stage 3 : Weh bumped you, you wont get ICS. Hahah
Stage 4 : Buy a new motorola phone with ICS. :D

CaelanT

Hello Alaq,

I wish you come up with something and show us what useful stuff can be achieved with a lapdock. And that being said, i honestly didn'T like the thread title cause it reminds me us false motorola timing table. I hope this project doesn't become obsolete like motorola's update table.

Some of you just aren't getting the point here, are you???

This is about trying something new, seeing if it can be done, and what the results will be. Some people like to try innovative ideas "just because". I don't believe Alaq asked for your approval to move forward with his project, so I would suggest if you don't like the thread, (or it's title), that you move on yourself!

<edit> Seems funny you would have this attitude since you have a Motorola modding forum! Jealous???

Reactions: Alaq

giuanz

Jun 6, 2008
FYI. I don't know if this link helps. I'm posting it, just in case.

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/...10&tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-roto

To my knowledge that Bionic lapdock is identical to the Atrix one but with the HDMI and MicroUSB connectors reversed.

BTW I ordered three MK802's in the 1GB RAM version and the status has just changed to "shipped".

Now that I read the rumor about an early ICS demo, I am torn between waiting for ICS and trying this mod.

Cheers, G

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
You can run Android ICS or Ubuntu on the MK802 I read somewhere... So I'll look at all the possibilities...

giuanz

Jun 6, 2008
MK802 disassembly pics

FYI.

http://3dobjectifying.blogspot.ie/2012/05/mk802-received.html

still waiting for my MK802's , and have already three more friends who want one :)

also:

1. MK802 audio is only through HDMI - to use a headset when I want, I think I'd add a 3.5mm stereo switching jack somewhere on the back of the lapdock

2. MK802 has no bluetooth - but the pics in the link I posted show a USB bluetooth dongle attached to it - I think that's a good idea if you want bluetooth

3. MK802 is only 802.11 b/g networking no n - I suppose you'd have to live with that.

Cheers and keep us posted! I'll do the same - giuanz

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
FYI.

http://3dobjectifying.blogspot.ie/2012/05/mk802-received.html

still waiting for my MK802's , and have already three more friends who want one :)

also:

1. MK802 audio is only through HDMI - to use a headset when I want, I think I'd add a 3.5mm stereo switching jack somewhere on the back of the lapdock

2. MK802 has no bluetooth - but the pics in the link I posted show a USB bluetooth dongle attached to it - I think that's a good idea if you want bluetooth

3. MK802 is only 802.11 b/g networking no n - I suppose you'd have to live with that.

Cheers and keep us posted! I'll do the same - giuanz

I missed it by a day last week... They were sold out within 2 days lol... Anyways I'll start taking apart my lapdock to check the connections and make some space...

giuanz

Jun 6, 2008
I missed it by a day last week... They were sold out within 2 days lol... Anyways I'll start taking apart my lapdock to check the connections and make some space...

there are more sellers on Aliexpress who claim they have it, although the only seller which already has feedback is sold out.

Also there are some on sale on eBay.

btw if you want to have a laugh, look at this: http://www.mk802.net
(LOL, the Chinese are discovering what intellectual property means)

btw2 I just made an experiment. I forced discharge of my Atrix battery to 0% - basically till the point it would only boot in charger mode not full OS.
With the lapdock open, it would charge. With the lapdock closed, it would not charge.

So my idea of how the lid open/close switch works is like this:
1. lid open -> lapdock gives USB power to phone
2. lid closed -> lapdock checks HDMI port for signal. If HDMI signal present, lapdock gives USB power. Otherwise USB stays off.

That also would explain why, when you connect the lapdock, the first thing the phone does is send that M logo ove the HDMI port - just like a way to say to the lapdock: "hey wait for me I'm there, give me USB (so I can recognise the keyboard and trackpad) and I'll boot webtop".

Now I think if this logic turns to be true, you would not even need an extra power switch! Just open the lid to power on - it will stay powered on as long as there is HDMI signal - and when you want to shutdown, youĺl do it through the menu.

The only annoying thing is that there won't be any notification when the battery is about to run out of juice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ FIRST:
    PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YET IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, IT IS INCOMPLETE AND STILL REQUIRES ME TO BUY THE EQUIPMENT AND TEST EVERYTHING, I MAY NOT BE CORRECT IN SOME THINGS AND YOU MAY RUIN YOUR LAPDOCK, THANKS!

Alright I give credits to seven2099 for bringing this up, so now we have two projects to make the lapdock run on it's own.

So instead of using the CottonCandy FXI, I will be using the MK802 Allwinner A10 (When it gets back into stock).

giuanz has helped out a lot by getting a hold of one of these MK units before me... And gave very good details on the problems...

Log:
    6/3/12 -- Posts: 1 2 3
    So far: We discussed Voltage and amps that will power the MK, so far there are problems, but this is at a glance as we don't have a unit yet. But it seems that the lapdock won't proide enough juice to power the MK...

6/12/12-6/14/12 -- Posts: 1 2 3
    Alright so guianz has recieved his MK units and 2 problems have come up...
    1. The resolution is not compatible. The HDMI output on the MK doesn't give the lapdock resolution 1366x768. A solution may be done by extracting the file from the razr leak for the webtop that decides resolution and putting it in the MK unit. It may or may not work, lets hope it does!
    2. The output:
    It would refuse to boot with any USB port I tried it with (red light comes up but no boot) - it would only power up with the power supply. Didn't try with lapdock as I'm still missing the adapter cable but I bet it's a current limit problem, like it probably really takes more than 1a to boot.
    That explains everything... Everything will be looked in, thanks...

What you need:
    -Lapdock, NO?!?!
    -Xacto knife or similar
    -Hot Glue
    -Screwdrivers (Unsure of which ones, will update)
    -Maybe more, will update

What you need to buy:
    -HDMI Upgrade Kit (May need up to 3)
    -MK802 Allwinner A10
    -HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter
    -Maybe more, will update

TOC:
    I. Planning
    II. Connections
    -- First we must test to make sure that everything cable-wise is working (HDMI can be seen from lapdock, keyboard mouse goes through USB) so that we can move on the the software
    III. OS + Software
    -- We have to make sure that the drivers are working for ICS and that everything is setup correctly.
    IV. Placement + Hardmod
    -- We must take apart the lapdock (The back panels only), and the A10 to get them to fit and work properly. We must also get the on/off working by screen opening and closing)
    V. Guide (When completed)

II. Connections
    geeky-gadgets.com said:
    The MK802 is also equipped with 2 x USB ports, one full-sized and one micro, and runs Google’s latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) operating system. As well as being equipped with a HDMI port for connecting to your monitor of preference.

Connectivity on the MK802 is provided by WiFi 802.11b/g, with 4GB of Flash storage as standard, which can be increased to 32GB via the microSD card slot.

So according to geeky-gadgets & the chinese retailers we have 2 USB ports, one full and one micro. Great isn't it? Not really, because the lapdock provides power through the micro-usb and the A10 has it's own power port... So we need to cut up the USB and solder the cables to two different connectors. The data cables will be soldered to the micro-usb connector from the HDMI upgrade kit, the power cables will be soldered to the power connector that comes with the A10.

But now we get to HDMI. This will take more time... We are gonna use the [HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter] it will convert the hdmi from the lapdock straight to normal HDMI, this is a bit hefty so we will have to use a Xacto knife or similar to cut it up... Once we get it's guts then we can make room for it when we hardmod the lapdock.

III. OS + Software
    To come, once I buy everything and get them connected.
    What I think for now: Since ICS doesn't have any of Moto's drivers in it yet we can connect it to the lapdock and use the key+mouse proves that they must be generic drivers. (Have to test this theory)

IV. Hardmod + Placement
    To come, once I finish the other two...

V. Guide
    To Come, once I finish everything.
    Hello Alaq,

Some of you just aren't getting the point here, are you???

This is about trying something new, seeing if it can be done, and what the results will be. Some people like to try innovative ideas "just because". I don't believe Alaq asked for your approval to move forward with his project, so I would suggest if you don't like the thread, (or it's title), that you move on yourself!

<edit> Seems funny you would have this attitude since you have a Motorola modding forum! Jealous???