[HOW TO] Root T989 and T989D! TWRP+CWM! JB+ICS+GB! EASIEST METHOD!

Search This thread

dominicanman912

Jan 7, 2009
Savannah, Georgia
Hmmm that one has no binaries. I tried on twrp earlier but it didn't work so I went to cwm touch. Do I need to go back to twrp

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Thanks but that didn't work either! When I openTitanium Backup it says failed to obtain root but this time it checked a different directory! I must have a stupid phone. Thanks for your help again. This is frustrating so I'm going to try again tomorrow.

When I had this problem nothing worked but starting over.
1. Odin the jellybean update.
2. Odin TWRP 2.5.0.0
3. Reboot into TWRP and click reboot and then system.
TWRP will then ask if you want to install SuperSU.
If nothing else works you should try it.

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
Okay its the supersu v1.25 zip flash it In cwm or twrp. It almost has to work. it deletes all extra su junk and injects the new method of root. Its a perfect root zip for Tmo jb so if that .zip doesn't work for you then maybe just flash a ROM that's pre rooted and debloated.

Also plus one for the above post. If all fails start over with twrp and let it root it for ya.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

dominicanman912

Jan 7, 2009
Savannah, Georgia
When I had this problem nothing worked but starting over.
1. Odin the jellybean update.
2. Odin TWRP 2.5.0.0
3. Reboot into TWRP and click reboot and then system.
TWRP will then ask if you want to install SuperSU.
If nothing else works you should try it.

Thanks guys. You are a big help! So all I need is the recovery to flash a rooted Rom? I was hesitant if flashing a Rom because stock isn't even rooted! I had no intentions of staying stock so if I can just flash a Rom and I have root then that's great!

Okay its the supersu v1.25 zip flash it In cwm or twrp. It almost has to work. it deletes all extra su junk and injects the new method of root. Its a perfect root zip for Tmo jb so if that .zip doesn't work for you then maybe just flash a ROM that's pre rooted and debloated.

Also plus one for the above post. If all fails start over with twrp and let it root it for ya.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Thanks guys. You are a big help! So all I need is the recovery to flash a rooted Rom? I was hesitant if flashing a Rom because stock isn't even rooted! I had no intentions of staying stock so if I can just flash a Rom and I have root then that's great!

Yes, all you need is a custom recovery to flash a ROM.

Mylenthes

Aug 6, 2010
Dumb question. This doesn't revert your phone to stock or lose any data or anything right?

If so, is there a way to get temp root. My sisters gs2 is getting a low storage space message and I read online somewhere that you have to delete system logs to fix it. I rooted her phone a long long time ago and I guess that caused this. If that's not what it is can someone please help me fix it.

Thanks.

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
I it does not, flashing a ROM will though

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm starting a development team for the OUYA gaming console. If you want more information message me or follow this link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290843
Phone: Tmobile Samsung Galaxy s4 m919
Rom: Wicked v2
Kernel: Stock
Radio: Stock

acefsw

Oct 24, 2012
Coatesville
So to root using the latest Jelly Bean, I use the FIRST required link. Correct?

Yes,,use the first link. However, the su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip may not install, (steps 15/16), but that is okay as TWRP offers to root the phone for you by installing SuperSu. After it reboots, go to apps drawer, and click on the SuperSu installer. This will finish installing SuperSu and its binaries. Very easy process.

I am hoping that TWRP proves to be more stable than CWM. I had to re-install stock 4.1.2 after a custom rom install went south, (possibly CWM or corrupted file--tho, the md5 sum checked out), and ended in a boot loop. When I went to restore via my CWM back-ups they all failed because they were corrupted-- so thinking CWM may have been the culprit.

Good luck and thanks Falco for providing what I was looking for.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
When I install the files in odin, I keep f:reset and auto reboot checked but do not check anything else? I know that that is how I had to do it for my Samsung tablet but I just wanted to make sure for this phone.

And will this actually work?

secure_6

Sep 24, 2009
San Francisco
When I install the files in odin, I keep f:reset and auto reboot checked but do not check anything else? I know that that is how I had to do it for my Samsung tablet but I just wanted to make sure for this phone.

In one of the online tutorials they mentioned unchecking auto reboot, just manually reboot after a successful install.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Premium HD app

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
In one of the online tutorials they mentioned unchecking auto reboot, just manually reboot after a successful install.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Premium HD app

I have already successfully rooted this phone. I only checked auto reboot and nothing else and it worked just fine. The only problem is that I flashed an old version of CWM and it caused bootloops after flashes. Now to flash TWRP.,,

Sent from my Samsung GT-P3113 using Tapatalk.

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles

just saw the post above me what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

RKramkowski

Sep 17, 2007
Step 16 failed

OK, I tried the process word for word, with the versions listed and when I swipe to install, I get a "Failed" message. The only msg was

E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/extern
Error flashing zip'/external_sd/Superuser-3.0.5.

So I got V3.0.7, and TWRP V2.6.3.1. Same messages to the letter (except version number). Everything was checked or unchecked exactly as stated in the procedure. I also tried it after wiping the cache. The only thing I didn't do is reset to factory defaults.

So what did I miss?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root your Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 and T989D ONLY!

I made this tutorial because I feel that the other one in the sticky roll up thread is outdated.

DISCLAMER:
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE WHEN YOU USE ANY INFORMATION FROM THIS THREAD! YOUR WARRANTY IS NOW VOID!

What you need:

All the files that you need are all compressed into one zip archive for easy downloading and use. I will add proper sources later.
    The files that are included are:

Openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-hercules-1.tar (TWRP)
    su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip (ROOT)
    T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip (Drivers)
    Odin3-v1.85.zip (the file to install TWRP)

If you are on Gingerbread you will need to use a different open recovery script and su file.

Download:

http://db.tt/Y9cGHEqh (REQUIRED)

http://db.tt/OL4ZW0af (REQUIRED IF ON GINGERBREAD)

If you would like to use the opensource Superuser.zip from Koush instead of su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip here's the link:
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip

HOW TO ROOT:

STEP 1: Download the files you need above^ and move su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip or Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip if on Gingerbread to your sd card.

STEP 2: Install the Samsung drivers, (Named T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip)

STEP 3: Open Odin and put the USB Cable into your computer. (Make sure your phone isn't connected to the cable yet)

STEP 4: Power off your device (Before you do that check to make sure you have usb debugging checked in Settings> Developer Options)

STEP 5: Hold BOTH volume buttons (up and down) and plug in the USB Cable to your phone.
    (Telus: Volume down and power)

STEP 6: Press Volume up when in download mode

STEP 7: DO NOT TOUCH DEVICE! A LOOSE CABLE OR PHONE TURNING OFF COULD HARD BRICK DEVICE!

STEP 8: Go into Odin and wait for the COM Port in odin to turn yellow

STEP 9: Select PDA and find your recovery script. (Openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-hercules-1.tar if on ICS, recovery-cmw-hercules.tar if on Gingerbread)

STEP 10: Make sure re-partition isn't checked. Do not check anything else.

STEP 11: Press start. When finished you should see a green PASS on the top left of the screen.

STEP 12: Your phone should restart and you can now unplug your phone.

STEP 13: Reboot phone and hold both volume buttons and you should get into the recovery you installed.

STEP 14: Select install if on TWRP or Install zip from sdcard if on CWM.

STEP 15: Locate the file you moved to your sdcard, the su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip or Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip in the beginning and select it

STEP 16: Click yes or swipe to install.

STEP 17: Reboot and see if you have superuser supersu in the app drawer!

STEP 18: Reboot back into recovery (volume up and down) and select backup or backup and restore and make a backup of your rom! (make sure to have atleast 1GB of space before making a backup)

STEP 19: You are now rooted! Flash away!

STEP 20: If on Gingerbread go to the Google play store and download goo.im. go to the menu and install open recovery script.

I tried making this tutorial as noob-friendly as possible, But if you need help with anything just ask and Many other including will try to help you the best we can! If you feel something should be added or deleted just let me know!

NOTE: I DID NOT MAKE ANYTHING THAT WAS DOWNLOADED IN THE TWO FILES GIVEN! ALL CREDIT GOES TO THE ORIGINAL MAKERS OF THE PROVIDED FILES! HERE IS A LIST OF SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THE FILES:
    Dees_Troy for TWRP
    Koush for clockworkmod
    Samsung
    |Melvin| for original tutorial
    whoever else I missed! =P
    Re: [HOW TO] Root T989! TWRP+CWM!

I am on my phone and don't have time to make this look nice so feel free to do it and send it to me.

If you are reading this you probably just rooted your phone. Congratulations! Now your probably wondering "how do I install all these cool ROMs?" This is the easy part.

There are many ways to install a ROM but I'm going to show the easiest and most convenient method. Installing through TWRP

1: open the Goo.im application (available on the play store) and go to menu > install open recovery script > yes. This will get you the latest version of TWRP.

2: go on XDA>T-Mobile galaxy s2>android development and download any ROM you like. (Anything by Ptmr3 is the best choice)

3: download the latest Google apps package (Gapps) for your version of android. (Not needed for TW ROMs)

4: (Not needed but strongly recommended) install app2zip from the play store and backup all your apps. (If you want any bloatware or system apps you can back them up too.)

5: Backup anything else you want.

6: reboot into recovery. (power on phone holding volume up and down)

7: click backup. Set backup name and swipe to start (don't do this until your phone is past 30% or plugged in.)

8: click install find the ROM you downloaded and swipe to start.

9: when that is done go back and click install and find the Gapps package you downloaded and swipe to start. (Does not apply if on TW ROM)

10: when that finishes wipe cache and dalvik

11: go to main menu hit advanced then fix permissions and swipe to start.

12: reboot and do not touch for at least 10 minutes.

13: reboot into recovery click install and find the apps you backuped and swipe to start.

14: reboot wait at least 5 minutes and enjoy the awesomeness!

----------------------------------------------
    Phone: Galaxy s2 t989
    Rom: PACman 21.0.1
    Kernel: PAC

I have a ton of app ideas. Come check them out and maybe you will see them in the play store one day! ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2227827
    This now works with Jelly bean

Rom: PACman 21.0.1
    Kernel: PAC
    ajajakskkss

I'm sorry I'm blonde so how do you root the phone again?
    Re: [HOW TO] Root T989! TWRP+CWM! Updated! ICS+GB!

Nicely done! Though realistically speaking, these 20 steps can be reduced down to 10 :laugh:

I could do that if it would make life easier for you guys. I made it long for the sake of noobs.

Rom: SOA Build 2
    Kernel: SOA

I'm full of great idea's, but don't have the time to create them or learn the coding to create them. If you want to make one of my ideas a reality just message me and I will give you my idea as specific as possible.
    ideas:
    -launcher/lock screen
    -line rider type game where you control the character
    -2d fighting game like art of fighting for the SNES
    -multiplayer fps where you create your own map with a creative mode (minecraft style)
    -roller coaster tycoon style game
    -get phone out of sleep mode
    -many more! :)
    Just message me which idea you want info on and I'll tell you!