Want more Storage? New bugfixed version 2.1 rc2!

Search This thread

tadzio

Nov 23, 2003
Munich, Germany
nbsplit.exe can't use as well. anyone can use it..?

Hm - some of the tools were accidentally linked to use the DLL version of the MS runtime. I guess not everyone has the needed DLL on his/her machine, so I made a new, statically linked version. If you can't run some of the tools, try downloading the RC 2 from the first post.

Changing the linkage was the only change (apart from incrementing the version number :)), so no need to re-download if you don't have any problems.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

jacky820

Dec 2, 2003
Anyone can help?

D:\ImgfsTools2rc2b>ImgfsFromDump.exe 06_oS.nb.payload imgfs.bin
ImgfsFromDump 2.0 RC 2
Unable to load compression DLL!

Thanks,

tadzio

Nov 23, 2003
Munich, Germany
Anyone can help?

D:\ImgfsTools2rc2b>ImgfsFromDump.exe 06_oS.nb.payload imgfs.bin
ImgfsFromDump 2.0 RC 2
Unable to load compression DLL!

You downloaded the version in which I forgot to include cecompr_nt.dll. Just re-download the tools.

MyDraadloos said:
Would you recommend this as a tool that even a novice could use or should we wait until it is integrated in the next release of baked goods ?

I think the tools themselves are fairly save, and if you read my ReadMe.txt there's not much chance for desaster. However, the tools offer no support for the actual editing of the ROM - and that is still a bit tricky, especially when you want to make changes to initflashfiles.dat and the registry. Der ROM Koch is much more comfortable to use for this.

But if you're happy with one of the existing ROMs and just want to get a bit more Storage, then yes, even a novice should have little problems running a ROM through the complete chain as described in the ReadMe.txt. This alone will get you around 8 MByte more Storage.

Dihon said:
Can we also dump from Ext_ROM.nb ?

No, ExtROM files are not in IMGFS format, so these tools do not work on them.

Cheers
Daniel

tadzio

Nov 23, 2003
Munich, Germany
WM6 includes a "Windows Update" function, where you can download and install Windows patches directly to your device. Obviously, this function requires some free space in the IMGFS partition of the ROM. With the Imgfs tools, however, there is no longer any such free space (as it's all gone to Storage :)), so Windows Update will not work on such ROMs.

The tools set the FreeSectorCount to 0, so I am fairly confident that if you try to run Windows Update, and if MS ever offers such updates, the process will not destroy your ROM, but fail gracefully. So nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Daniel

jasjamming

Nov 7, 2006
In the Basement
WM6 includes a "Windows Update" function, where you can download and install Windows patches directly to your device. Obviously, this function requires some free space in the IMGFS partition of the ROM. With the Imgfs tools, however, there is no longer any such free space (as it's all gone to Storage :)), so Windows Update will not work on such ROMs.

The tools set the FreeSectorCount to 0, so I am fairly confident that if you try to run Windows Update, and if MS ever offers such updates, the process will not destroy your ROM, but fail gracefully. So nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Daniel

Tadzio, kudos to you, excellent tool man, saved 10mb from my upcoming release of WM Black 1.2. great stuff

compliments will be paid to your work when i release it.

Cheers

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Damn! 20% more free storage on my personal WM6 build after running your tools!

Kudos to you Tadzio!

I'm not sure we will have an issue with Windows Update btw. How could they ever change the ROM image without a Flash? I'd bet that Windows Update based updates will work just like installing an add-on cab.

Thoughts:

Could you roll up this into 2 programs?

(DumpNB) os.nb -> dump directory
  • Combines NBSplit thru ImgfsToDump
  • All intermediate filenames are based on original os.nb name
  • Output dump directory is <os.nb>_dump

(BuildNB) Dump directory -> os.nb
  • Combiines ImgfsFromDump thru NBMerge
  • All intermediate filenames based on os.nb portion of <os.nb>_dump dir entered as parameter 1.
  • Output os.nb is called new_<os.nb>

Both programs overwrite everything by default

It's a bit of an involved process currently and when I'm cooking I like to take small steps then flash to see results.

I suppose I could simply write a shell that does this too but its a bit error prone to monitor the output of scripts....

tadzio

Nov 23, 2003
Munich, Germany
Damn! 20% more free storage on my personal WM6 build after running your tools!

Kudos to you Tadzio!

I'm not sure we will have an issue with Windows Update btw. How could they ever change the ROM image without a Flash? I'd bet that Windows Update based updates will work just like installing an add-on cab.

Thoughts:

• All intermediate filenames based on os.nb portion of <os.nb>_dump dir entered as parameter 1.

It's a bit of an involved process currently and when I'm cooking I like to take small steps then flash to see results.

I suppose I could simply write a shell that does this too but its a bit error prone to monitor the output of scripts....

Thanks for the flowers, as a German would say. :)

Regarding your thoughts - NBSplit and NBMerge are device specific, I would prefer to keep them separate. As for the rest - you do have a point. :)

For the time being I suggest you do write a batch file. You don't have to monitor its output, as all my tools return errorcodes. All you need to do is a

Code:
if errorlevel 1 goto SomethingBadHappened
after each call to one of the tools.

But I'll see what I can do with a combined tool.

Cheers
Daniel

tadzio

Nov 23, 2003
Munich, Germany
Thoughts:

Using these tools is indeed an involved process, so I just wrote two little batch files which do almost exactly what you asked for (except that NBBuild uses the given parameter directly as output file name without a "new_" prefix, and instead renames the existing .nb to .nb.old). You can find them attached to the first post of this thread.

Cheers
Daniel

mun_rus

Oct 26, 2006
Great job tadzio! Thanx a lot!
Should confirm that these tools work for trinity and wizard also!
Ive just tryed it. Theres is 62.37 Mb of Storage on my trinity now (wm5), instead of 58

ps.But as for wizard we needn't nbsplit command.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UI for tadzio utils

Hi all. :)

Thank you tadzio for your utils.
    To provide more usability i make the UI for yours utils.

UI available in RUS and ENG versions.
    And temporarily for Hermes and Prophet(in testing) only
    Later i add the point to other devices.

P.S. Sorry i add OSchecker in archieve