[Q] Install Application From Browser

Search This thread

captmiddy

Aug 30, 2010
I am getting an Inspire to replace my messed up Captivate and end several months of frustration I hope. One thing is that I need to install some application from my company over the web. They are not in any market at all, we just follow a link and it downloads the apk file and then I can install them. I am not sure how far from the standard ROM I have to stray to allow me to install applications directly from the file system.

Is it enough to simply root the phone or do I need to actually place a custom ROM on the phone to get this feature? In my captivate I replaced the ROM as I needed Froyo to even use the applications but here the Inspire starts with Froyo so I am hoping I don't have to go that far.

I really wish ATT wasn't such a pain about locking down the market but allowed me to override it when I need to.

captmiddy

Aug 30, 2010
If you want to avoid rooting, etc (it's a pain in the ass on this phone) maybe you should just use the Sideload Wonder Machine?

URL REMOVED BECAUSE I AM NEW ;)

Well that will certainly get me there with some manual intervention, I will have to see if I can actually get to the mobile page to download the software from my standard desktop browser, or perhaps I can still download them then use the tool to actually install them. Decisions Decisions. Do you know if simply rooting the phone will allow me to do installs as I see fit? I am not relishing the work to root the phone but would like to know the options.

wraithevolution

Apr 10, 2010
Oregon
Well that will certainly get me there with some manual intervention, I will have to see if I can actually get to the mobile page to download the software from my standard desktop browser, or perhaps I can still download them then use the tool to actually install them. Decisions Decisions. Do you know if simply rooting the phone will allow me to do installs as I see fit? I am not relishing the work to root the phone but would like to know the options.

You can still download them to your phone, transfer it from your phone card to your pc and then install with SWM. That's what I do when I can't get them directly. You have to connect to your pc to use SWM already so you can do it in one fell swoop!

epicKA8

Feb 16, 2011
You can still download them to your phone, transfer it from your phone card to your pc and then install with SWM. That's what I do when I can't get them directly. You have to connect to your pc to use SWM already so you can do it in one fell swoop!

the new version of SWM, u can install straight from the SD card, no need to move them over.

bigdessert

Jan 4, 2010
I do this same thing with screenconnect remote support software. I just use a user agent switcher for FireFox to download the apk and then just use sideload wonder machine.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Top Liked Posts