[MOD]App2ExtSD2 [Works for all U.S. Galaxy S3!]

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
This is a hack that that allows you to swap internal storage with your external SD card so you can increase your app data storage.

All credits go to original i9300 App2ExtSD Hack by mattiadj. I simply hacked it to work with U.S. versions and also I've added code so it will disable this feature when you don't have a microSD card inserted (app storage will default to internal when no microSD card is inserted).

E.g. If you have 16GB internal storage on Galaxy S3, you can install this witih a 64GB microSD card and swap the storage and get 64GB on your app storage instead of 16GB.

Before you can use this, you will need:
1) Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535/SPH-L710/SGH-T999/SCH-I747) or also Canadian versions too (i747m, etc...etc...)
2) A ROM/kernel with init.d support!
3) I've only tested this with TouchWiz-based ROMs, so it should work on stock ROMs and any TouchWiz-based ROMs, not sure on CM9 or CM10.
4) You must use the FAT32 or EXTFAT zip file below, depending on what format your microSD Card is in! (e.g. if you have a FAT32 microSD card, use FAT32)

To get this working, simply flash the zip files in your CWM Recovery:

Download and Details:
http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-t...-external-microsd-for-u-s-canadian-galaxy-s3/

If you do not have init.d support, you can also enable on any rooted phone by using Script Manager, here's a quick tutorial:

I recommend you to FORMAT your microSD card once to get camera working flawless before using this hack!

How to disable this:
If for some reason you are having trouble, simply delete /system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd.
OR
if you leave your microSD card out during boot (then re-insert it after), your phone will work as normal (internal storage used for app data).

Last edited:

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Nevermind, I thought it was a data2sd type thing, not just an SD swap. This is very nice! I prefer everything to be on my external card!

Last edited:

Jurassitol

Jul 13, 2012
Nevermind, I thought it was a data2sd type thing, not just an SD swap. This is very nice! I prefer everything to be on my external card!

I use GL to SD for that. I think the mod is a great idea, but after seeing so many non-readers, surely some Rom flashers will format the wrong partition and bring their blame to the devs...sad really.

What I would like to see is a mod that brings back android 2.x "move app to SD" functionality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Last edited:

LinxuSx

Apr 16, 2011
Thanks man! Been wanting this since day 1 and almost started regretting getting a 16gb S3.

Downloading now and will be testing out in my FAT32 64gb sdcard on Synergy 1.7.

EDIT: should have investigated further about what this is doing.

Note that if you want to delete, you must use a ROOT Explorer, and Enable Both Root and Mounting of System to delete the file.

Sent from my Rooted, Synergized (1.7) and now unlocked bootloader VZW S3!

Last edited:

Mystikalrush

May 1, 2011
I'm not very found of kernels yet, but I'm running synergy ROM r50 does this change my system to a supported kernel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium App

Mystikalrush

May 1, 2011
OK, can I flash it anyways to test if it works or will it soft brick me if I don't have the kernel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium App

Zion800

Apr 11, 2006
Has this been tested for Google Play Music?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

NAU420

Apr 8, 2012
Yeah thank you, works great.

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
Can I flash this even if my current SD Card has data on it or do I need to format and delete all data on my card before using this?

sshams95

Jun 17, 2010
I flashed this at the same when flashing Bean's latest and greatest. So now I see the SDcard and EXTSDcard show the same files and the same size. How can I browse the Internal SD? It does not appear when I plug it in my computer or when browsing using Root Explorer or Astro

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I flashed this at the same when flashing Bean's latest and greatest. So now I see the SDcard and EXTSDcard show the same files and the same size. How can I browse the Internal SD? It does not appear when I plug it in my computer or when browsing using Root Explorer or Astro

Might be not compatible with Bean's. That happens when the script isn't working correctly, you should see two different sizes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a hack that that allows you to swap internal storage with your external SD card so you can increase your app data storage.

All credits go to original i9300 App2ExtSD Hack by mattiadj. I simply hacked it to work with U.S. versions and also I've added code so it will disable this feature when you don't have a microSD card inserted (app storage will default to internal when no microSD card is inserted).

E.g. If you have 16GB internal storage on Galaxy S3, you can install this witih a 64GB microSD card and swap the storage and get 64GB on your app storage instead of 16GB.

Before you can use this, you will need:
    1) Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535/SPH-L710/SGH-T999/SCH-I747) or also Canadian versions too (i747m, etc...etc...)
    2) A ROM/kernel with init.d support!
    3) I've only tested this with TouchWiz-based ROMs, so it should work on stock ROMs and any TouchWiz-based ROMs, not sure on CM9 or CM10.
    4) You must use the FAT32 or EXTFAT zip file below, depending on what format your microSD Card is in! (e.g. if you have a FAT32 microSD card, use FAT32)

To get this working, simply flash the zip files in your CWM Recovery:

Download and Details:
    http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-t...-external-microsd-for-u-s-canadian-galaxy-s3/

If you do not have init.d support, you can also enable on any rooted phone by using Script Manager, here's a quick tutorial:

I recommend you to FORMAT your microSD card once to get camera working flawless before using this hack!

How to disable this:
    If for some reason you are having trouble, simply delete /system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd.
    OR
    if you leave your microSD card out during boot (then re-insert it after), your phone will work as normal (internal storage used for app data).
    I flashed this in cm10 with ktkerbal which has support but it didn't work?

Not yet, I am working on a new one to work with CM10.
    Max any news on cm10 apps 2 sd

I really liked the idea of having the 16gb on the phone, than adding the 32gb as extra storage, but i know we can't install programs to the ext sd, but with your program it should work. But what happens to that internal sd? Or does it just make the whole system work on the 32gb of the card?

exactly, your internal becomes sd, sd becomes internal.
    I don't want to make a flame and I have read the credits but.... This is exactly my mod with a small check if sd is in.

Op never asked me if he can make this thread. My mod is free do download but.. I don't think is a good behavior to take it, repack it, make a small modification and change the name.

Please op, revert the name to the original one and link my thread for native support. This thread can be used for specific support for this specific version of gs3 not for other things. Since this is exactly my mod I don't confusion... We can name it extsd2internalsd for Verizon gs3 but I want it's clear that is a simple port with small hack (from you of course! And all credits for his are yours don't worry...).

Thanks for attention guys!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2