[Q] Can't Turn On?

Search This thread

Dvicens

Oct 21, 2010
Atlanta
I cant get this thing to boot back up. I have tried everything there is. I tried pin reset, hard reset, nv flash restore, and i opened up the streak and pulled the battery out and still couldnt get it to power up. Is there ANY kind of fix for this that any of you might know of. YES I SEARCHED EXTENSIVELY.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Firstly the reset button is the equiv of pulling the batt, it's pretty much a hardware level button and not software level.

Have you tried charging it for a few hours, if it still doesnt enter any boot mode (normal, fastboot, APX, recovery) then it's likely dead at the hardware level.

giveen

Jul 6, 2010
Caldwell, ID
By the fact that you said pulled battery out, I am assuming you are talking about something else or are just clueless.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
the NV in nvflash stands (likely) for nvidia, NV is what they use if they need to prefix something,

one example are opengl extensions, any nvidia specific extenstion is:
gl_nv_* and the nv is removed when it become fully standardized.

It could stand for non voliatile, but that term isnt really used anymore as nv memory is rather vague now, as it could be anything from e/p/p/rom to flash memory

Lookin4Trouble

Jan 26, 2012
Power LED?

First, are you using an original Dell charger? Most phone/tablet chargers on the market don't supply the necessary voltage/amperage to force begin-charging. If you're using a different charger, that may be your problem (battery totally dead) - I can't find a source for a 5.35v@2.0A charger, but I did find that I can charge my Streak with an iPad charger (5.0v@2.1A)

If you're using the stock charger or an iPad charger, does the Power LED turn on when you plug it in?
If it comes up solid red, you need to let it charge.
If it comes up solid orange or green, you're charged, and it may be the video cable's come loose/undone, so there's just no further indications when you power it on.
If it comes up flashing red, leave your streak plugged in and push the reset pin button. From that point, it should come up solid red (let it charge before trying to boot)
If it doesn't turn on at all, you may have a damaged charging port (VERY common issue) or a shorted motherboard (not as common but too common for my taste).

Try the above and let us know.

L4T

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

the NV in nvflash stands (likely) for nvidia, NV is what they use if they need to prefix something,

one example are opengl extensions, any nvidia specific extenstion is:
gl_nv_* and the nv is removed when it become fully standardized.

It could stand for non voliatile, but that term isnt really used anymore as nv memory is rather vague now, as it could be anything from e/p/p/rom to flash memory

Yes, the NV in NVFlash stands for NVidia - NVFlash is only used for download mode flashing of boards with NVidia chipsets - for comparison, ODIN is applicable to other chipsets flashing download mode...

L4T

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
First, are you using an original Dell charger? Most phone/tablet chargers on the market don't supply the necessary voltage/amperage to force begin-charging. If you're using a different charger, that may be your problem (battery totally dead) - I can't find a source for a 5.35v@2.0A charger, but I did find that I can charge my Streak with an iPad charger (5.0v@2.1A)

If you're using the stock charger or an iPad charger, does the Power LED turn on when you plug it in?
If it comes up solid red, you need to let it charge.
If it comes up solid orange or green, you're charged, and it may be the video cable's come loose/undone, so there's just no further indications when you power it on.
If it comes up flashing red, leave your streak plugged in and push the reset pin button. From that point, it should come up solid red (let it charge before trying to boot)
If it doesn't turn on at all, you may have a damaged charging port (VERY common issue) or a shorted motherboard (not as common but too common for my taste).

Try the above and let us know.

L4T

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Yes, the NV in NVFlash stands for NVidia - NVFlash is only used for download mode flashing of boards with NVidia chipsets - for comparison, ODIN is applicable to other chipsets flashing download mode...

L4T
Although the specs call for a 5.35v@2.0A charger. It's a power supply and the charger is in the device for one but it never draws anywhere near 2A as I've measured it. The most it draws is around 1.2A during boot up and maybe you've noticed that the charging indicator goes OFF during boot up also. After bootup it draws around 800mA.

Some have had mixed success when using cigarette/power point automobile USB adapters. Even a 1A model "may" work if you boot up first before pugging it in. Another trick is to start with a fully charged device. Not sure what the Streak looks for to cause "more" problems than others using different models of power supplies.

There was a whole thread about this or it went OT somewhere here.