[TUTORIAL] How To Extract Files From a TAR.MD5 Stock ROM (SPH-D710)

Search This thread

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on how to make your own flashable ZIPs to go along with this?

Not to in depth but the basics of edify scripting and such. Just enough to get someone started.
Indeed, sir!

Bugging up my phone, so you don't have to!
sigpic4619062_4.gif

Reactions: rwilco12

monkeytools

May 17, 2012
chesapeake
Thank you rwilco. Would love to see that tut. I have dsixda on my pc but couldnt figure out how to make a zip. It has a problem with the factoryfs. With cant find framework file. Just starting out and sure I have missed something.

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Thank you rwilco. Would love to see that tut. I have dsixda on my pc but couldnt figure out how to make a zip. It has a problem with the factoryfs. With cant find framework file. Just starting out and sure I have missed something.

Yeah the kitchen doesn't copy the preload partition correctly either, so this is going to help a lot of us:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

monkeytools

May 17, 2012
chesapeake
thank you

Thank you. Much need knowledge. I am fairly new to android. And love to learn and have new challenges. I am a mechanic by trait. So love to tear things apart and how they tick. You have mad my life alittle easer. I am hook. Android is my new drug. Would love a tut on how to make a zip. Google has taught me how to theme. Great to here some one is willing to share there knowledge. I am will to read and give back from what you share with use. Again a huge thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Yeah the kitchen doesn't copy the preload partition correctly either, so this is going to help a lot of us:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Hey I think I got a bad down load it was saying thank it is a curupt file. When I ran it throught my dump file tool.

elotus

Aug 27, 2012
can u add photo on your tutorial bro...i have try to extract .tar.md5 by follow your tutr but failed.i m confused with this.

elotus

Aug 27, 2012
Where did it fail?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

at last step

11. To extract a file you select/highlight
it and then press save at the
top. This will extract the file from
the ext4 partition and save it to
Windows.

when i extract no .img file but .md5 and file extracted only one xxx.md5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've received a TON of PM's and emails asking how to do this and I've decided to do a write-up for everyone. Now to start off, this does not automatically make you a Super Duper Developer, this does not show you how to make your own TAR ROMs, nor does it show you how to make your own Odin One-Clicks. What it does do is show you how to pull files from those stock leaked/official ROMs so that you can proceed to make yourself into a Super Duper Developer! ;)

In essence if the Developer knows what they are doing they could use this method to extract all the files from the build and could then add them to a ZIP and have a stock odexed ROM within minutes and do it all through Windows! :D Depending on time I may or may not do a tutorial on that as well... ;)

So let's begin!

We've all seen those pesky TAR.MD5 packages that we can flash through Odin. How often have you wanted to look inside them and see what is inside before flashing? There are several ways to do it and the most common answer requires Linux and Dsixda's Kitchen utility. This tutorial gives you the ability to do that through Windows and without having to extract the full ROM. These instructions are specific to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (all variants) but can be used on most Samsung Galaxy phones.

Each TAR.MD5 release contains multiple files. Each of these files corresponds to a specific partition on your device. These files are formatted to be mounted by your device but not by a computer. We will be converting them from a .img partition type to an ext4.img type partition so we can mount them and read them through Windows. For this tutorial we will be opening up the factoryfs.img (the system files partition).

Before you dive in there are a few things you'll need.
    - A PC running Windows.
    - A stock TAR.MD5 release. Several are available in the Stock ROMs Repo thread.
    - DiskInternals Linux Reader (must be installed on the Windows PC). You can download DiskInternals Linux Reader here.
    - SGS2toEXT4 Utility available here. *Be sure to extract the JAR file from the ZIP archive.
    - 7-Zip available here.

For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!
    Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on how to make your own flashable ZIPs to go along with this?

Not to in depth but the basics of edify scripting and such. Just enough to get someone started.
    For those who were asking about how to make your own TAR builds I've posted a tutorial! :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2154762

Enjoy!
    Great Howto

I am suggesting that Mods sticky this one.