[HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
In terminal emulator to fix wifi I get, unable to chmod bypasslkm: no such file or directory. Any ideas?

WiFi is really important to you huh? Here is the bypasslkm thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578566 and here ive uploaded the binary for you https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rdz9ff6x5foech/bypasslkm.

We all appreciate all the hard work you and the team did for us here in maintaining a root while updating to 4.4. Trust me you devlopers are greatly appreciated amount this community. I hate to be the one to ask really. But did this move us any where towards an unlocked bootloader? Did this leak provide any information that's going to help us in the long hall or are we still just as stuck with a lock down as we were on MJ7?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

To tell you the truth I havent even examined the partitons from VRUFNC2 other than checking if the counter in aboot was incremented. Havent had time and didnt anticipate people having all these questions related to the upgrade/downgrade to/from VRUFNC2! ??

But with the qcom leak, n3 KK leak, our KK leak and having to find/come up with a method to upgrade with root, I havent much time for anything lately ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nshawn43

Aug 19, 2010
FIXED

Sigh! Now Odin doesn't want to flash anything to my device. :(

I had the same problem last night.. Heres the fix Let the phone turn on so that it says Firmware Upgrade Fail connect to Kies...That is a modified Download mode.. in that mode i was able to reflash the Leak and it worked perfectly any other way caused the phone to FAIL..give that a shot and you should be back up and running on the leak 4.4.2

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Same here, I'm having the exact problem as you. Odin won't even recognize my device anymore.

What do you mean? can you elaborate? what were you doing that caused this?

Sigh! Now Odin doesn't want to flash anything to my device. :(

What were you doing that caused this?
Did you install the zadig.exe driver? if so then switch usb ports and try.

shindiggity

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego
WiFi is really important to you huh? Here is the bypasslkm thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578566 and here ive uploaded the binary for you https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rdz9ff6x5foech/bypasslkm.

To tell you the truth I havent even examined the partitons from VRUFNC2 other than checking if the counter in aboot was incremented. Havent had time and didnt anticipate people having all these questions related to the upgrade/downgrade to/from VRUFNC2! ??

But with the qcom leak, n3 KK leak, our KK leak and having to find/come up with a method to upgrade with root, I havent much time for anything lately ?

Ha ha I know so many posts sorry! I pushed it and when I use terminal I get that error. I'm not supposed to change permissions our anything right

mikeneff2006

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply surge! I'm staying hopeful! I'm sure something came out of this hopefully you and the other devs can sniff it out.

RyaNov1333

Apr 20, 2014

Yes I can. When I enter Download mode and open Odin on my PC, the phone does not come up. I followed everything in the guide, and when it got to the last step, the stock recovery failed at trying to mount something. I then went and followed the "In case the last step above fails" section, and when it got back to the stock recovery and the blue progress bar, it failed with the same error. Now Odin will not recognize my device is connected.

Last edited:

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
What were you doing that caused this?
Did you install the zadig.exe driver? if so then switch usb ports and try.

Changing USB ports worked. Thank you. Downgrading to MK2 again. Did you see my earlier question in regards to using a stock MK2 cache.img in heimdall?

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Yes I can. When I enter Download mode and open Odin on my PC, the phone does not come up. I followed everything in the guide, and when it got to the last step, the stock recovery failed at trying to mount something. I then went and followed the "In case the last step above fails" section, and when it got back to the stock recovery and the blue progress bar, it failed with the same error. Now Odin will not recognize my device is connected.

Try using another USB port as Surge1223 mentioned for me. It got things going again for me. :)

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro

K open device manager and plug then phone into a different USB port. See if Odin recognizes it then. If not uninstall the zadig drivers and reinstall the samsung drivers then reboot your PC.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Changing USB ports worked. Thank you. Downgrading to MK2 again. Did you see my earlier question in regards to using a stock MK2 cache.img in heimdall?

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Yeah when I downgraded to MK2 I still had the /cache issue so after flashing the mk2 downgrade tar i flashed the mk2 cache.img.ext4 in heimdall. What version of Odin are you using? it might be worthwhile to reflash the mk2 recovery.img and cache.img.ext4 along with the pit when downgrading to see if it fixes this issue.

Reactions: Silassi1

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
Yeah when I downgraded to MK2 I still had the /cache issue so after flashing the mk2 downgrade tar i flashed the mk2 cache.img.ext4 in heimdall. What version of Odin are you using? it might be worthwhile to reflash the mk2 recovery.img and cache.img.ext4 along with the pit when downgrading to see if it fixes this issue.

I'm using 3.09.

I'll give the above a shot as well. I'll have to do that later tonight though as I need to go for a bit. Got to take the wife to lunch. :)

shindiggity

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego
Sorry for multiple posts but is anyone else having trouble with the wifi fix in terminal emulator? I get no signal at home and really need wifi.

Once I get to the second line it says, "unable to chmod bypasslkm: no such file or directory. I feel retarded for because I can't figure this out.

Last edited:

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Uhm, I have an issue here. During the first Oden 3 step flash, it ended with 0 succeeded 1 failed and my phone is still stuck in "Downloading.. Do not turn off target" with the progress bar most of the way filled but still solid. I don't know if "WonderShare" on my computer interfered with the process or what as I heard some USB type connect/re-connect beeps and WonderShare tried to load into Manage device...

What to do? I'm still connected via USB to the computer with the phone in above mentioned state. :(

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Ok got past that problem by disabling wonder share on the PC and forcing phone back into download mode and was able to proceed through ALL odin steps including the final one and I'm booted into the ROM fine. Other than all the force closes, things seem proper so far.

Now my problems. I can't seem to get into STOCK recovery to do the factory reset to get rid of the force closes as when I hold down Vol Up, Power, and home, it flashes back n forth from a battery symbol to SS recovery.

2nd, I of course no longer see V3.71 or ANY SS recovery in the app drawer so I'm confused when it says first uninstall the old SS before installing the AT&T 3.72.

Thanks

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Uhm, I have an issue here. During the first Oden 3 step flash, it ended with 0 succeeded 1 failed and my phone is still stuck in "Downloading.. Do not turn off target" with the progress bar most of the way filled but still solid. I don't know if "WonderShare" on my computer interfered with the process or what as I heard some USB type connect/re-connect beeps and WonderShare tried to load into Manage device...

What to do? I'm still connected via USB to the computer with the phone in above mentioned state. :(

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Ok got past that problem by disabling wonder share on the PC and forcing phone back into download mode and was able to proceed through ALL odin steps including the final one and I'm booted into the ROM fine. Other than all the force closes, things seem proper so far.

Now my problems. I can't seem to get into STOCK recovery to do the factory reset to get rid of the force closes as when I hold down Vol Up, Power, and home, it flashes back n forth from a battery symbol to SS recovery.

2nd, I of course no longer see V3.71 or ANY SS recovery in the app drawer so I'm confused when it says first uninstall the old SS before installing the AT&T 3.72.

Thanks

I said to uninstall 3.71 then install 3.72 so people would uninstall SS 3.71 in case they had already downladed and installed it prior to that step. But at least people will check what version of SS they are installing, and hopefully install 3.72.

You don't need to do a factory reset via recovery, you can do that in SS 3.72 once you install it. If you want to restore stock recovery you can try flashing the NC2 recovery.img in Odin/Heimdall, though it should have installed by default..strange.

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I re installed 3.71 then uninstalled the recovery. Then installed 3.72

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks, lol , I'm out of the "Thanks button" for the day. I did resolve getting into RECOVERY and got that step completed and did the factory reset/data then cache wipes as stated so now on to what you said above. :highfive:

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I said to uninstall 3.71 then install 3.72 so people would uninstall SS 3.71 in case they had already downladed and installed it prior to that step. But at least people will check what version of SS they are installing, and hopefully install 3.72.

You don't need to do a factory reset via recovery, you can do that in SS 3.72 once you install it. If you want to restore stock recovery you can try flashing the NC2 recovery.img in Odin/Heimdall, though it should have installed by default..strange.

Thanks, Hrmmm. I did get into factory Recovery via SS boot menu and did the factory/data reset and cache, now I just booted back up and the force closes are still present. :confused:

On to proceed to do what the other user mentioned to get the proper SS and removal of old one.

jwendt79

Feb 6, 2011
Goldsboro
Thanks for the work on this. Good to see progress. But I think I'm gonna just wait till a simpler root is achieved. I have no need for safestrap. I just want root for ad blocker and to manually pull files from system to do my own themes.

BoxBeatdown

Mar 21, 2014
Will I have to perform the wifi fix every time I reboot? I installed Xposed and after rebooting had to redo the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Upgrade to VRUFNC5 and keep root from NC2/MK2

I'm not responsible for anything negative that may come from using this method, and it should be treated as a WIP

Directions

1. Download Upgrade_I545VRUFNC5_fromNC2_with_Root.zip,, and Odin3-v3.09.zip

2. Download I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip or I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip and put it on your external sdcard make sure you have the AT&T Safestrap 3.72 for KK installed (get it here) also download the SuperSu zip from here and put in on your External SD Card as well just in case.

3. Reboot into Safestrap and delete all rom slots (except stock) and wipe data, cache, system, and dalvik-cache via SS's wipe menu

4. Install I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip or I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip on the stock slot and install the SuperSu zip after (optional-just incase) Once the install completes don't reboot, use SS's reboot menu and reboot into Download mode

5. Extract the contents of Upgrade_I545VRUFNC5_fromNC2_with_Root.zip into a folder of your choice then launch Odin 3.09

6. In "AP" input AP_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 and in "CP" input CP_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 then click start. Let it reboot and you should be done!
    ---

-Additional notes:
    *If it still doesnt boot up then try flashing the CSC_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in Odin under the "CSC" slot, I incuded this file in the zip just incase.

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip
    MD5: c9ac7a4e62679693f43ac0c150761269

Features:
    -rooted
    -busybox
    -deodex
    -init.d
    -setup wizard now completes, no force closes at boot, fixed majority of reported issues
    -Knox is present (SuperSu apk will ask you to disable it when launched)
    -write to external sd is enabled
    -tethering is enabled
    -no apks have been deleted
    -no aroma installer
    -extended reboot menu added
    - NC5-patch1.zip- This patch will add toggles, remove the init.d toggle script so that you can save your own customized order of toggles and will fix the lock screen security types issue.

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip
    MD5: 6a4013e4e15acfc9b45e16ad7aac6ddf

Features:
    -rooted
    -busybox
    -odex
    -write to external sd is NOT enabled
    -tethering is NOT enabled
    -no alterations have been made aside from root and busybox being added
    -no aroma installer
    -NC5-patch1.zip- This patch will add toggles, remove the init.d toggle script so that you can save your own customized order of toggles and will fix the lock screen security types issue.
    -zip to add tethering here
    -zip to add write to external sd fix here

Video of the process for MK2 to NC2 (note you don't have to flash the BL tar) video was made courtesy of @Tomsgt
    VIDEO

Video - Verizon Galaxy S4**KitKat (NC5) Upgrade**With Root&Tethering thanks to @Scottchy014

How to Downgrade back to 4.2 MK2

I want to address somethings...im uploaded a new version of this zip
    Downgrade_I545VRUEMK2_I545VZWEMK2_1937946_REV06_us er_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.zip
    that should get rid of the inital fail error and hopefully prevent some from getting the status 7 error

If your phone says and/or gives the "Kies emergency firmware" message, that doesn't mean you've bricked, it just means a flash didnt succeed all the the way through. Most of the time this is at the cache step. You might also get the "failed to mount /preload error". None of this means you're bricked. most of the time you can recover by following these steps in this order:

1. Flash I545VRUEMK2_Downgrade.tar.md5 --> Should no longer fail at cache; I accidentally included it in the first tar I uploaded but when i noticed the error I didn't think to much of it because i knew that step 3 would take care of it. Anyways no longer an issue.

2. Then reboot into download mode immediately after step one and flash flash I545VRUEMK2_System.tar.md5 --> should have no errors here, if you do try again. At this point, the phone should boot back into MK2, if it doesn't, then proceed to reboot into normal recovery and wipe data/factory reset. Next boot into download mode and go on to step 3.

3. Finally flash the I545VRUEMK2_cache.tar.md5 --> as long as you didn't deviate from the steps that I just listed then this should pass in Odin. The device should not give the /preload error after this step. If you do get an error then factory data reset in recovery then flash the zip from step 1 followed by the zip from this step (step 3) again , that is flash the cache tar.md5 again.

4. I was going to type something about Wifi...but this issue drives me crazy...(...its not a issue, learn adb) You need to use bypasslkm. Flash the NC2 hlos for sound to work and use bypasslkm for wifi

Code:
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 755 bypasslkm
    ./bypasslkm
    cd /system/lib/modules
    rmmod dhd.ko
    insmod dhd.ko

The status 7 failed to mount /preload error and why it happens:

Lets take a minute to go over why this happens and what it means. First what is /preload anyways? Well lets take a look at how it gets mounted, consider mount points below:

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/hidden", "/preload");
    We can infer from the point arguements that /preload is the mount point for the "hidden" partition. Well then what is this "hidden" partition then you ask? Well hidden contains some useless crap Samsung uses to verify integrity of the system partition when in recovery

So the idea is to wipe data/factory reset in recovery followed by making sure to flash hidden.img.ext4 prior to cache.img.ext4. I think my inclusion of cache.img.ext4 on accident in the first tar is the root of the cause so ive uploaded a new one that doesnt contain it so it wont fail at step 1.

So essentially you cant flash a a full-wipe or no-wipe Odin tar to go back. You have to use a custom made Odin tar. Also for people getting the status 7 error where /preload fails to mount after flashing cache the solution is to boot into stock recovery and factory data reset followed by flashing hidden.img.ext4 via Odin or Heimdall.

Credits:
    @Hashcode
    @bajasur
    @BeansTown106
    @jeboo
    @ted77usa
    @muniz_ri
    @rebel1699
    @Maribou
    @sextape
    @Chainfire
    @ryanbg
    @jrkruse
    @sbreen94

Changelog:

05/13/2014 - added odex stock root rom
    So is this the official rom from VZW or some other version. I want the stock rom that is rooted with no mods so I can chose what I want myself. I don't like it when people debloat my phone and dcecide what stays and what goes, as well as adding "helpful" things to my phone. I like complete control.

I removed stupid verizon stuff and some other knox related things. Only mods I made were to enable tethering and write to external sd. I didnt add any extra apps besides SuperSu. I can leave NC5 stock with just root though. Actually ill probably debloat it but upload a zip of the apps I removed. Fair compromise?

Ok the issue is with downgrading is that the instructions arent very clear but they do indeed work...ill update the directions today and reduce the steps. I didnt notice I hadnt updated the nc2 rom since I posted it...I can post an updated aroma'd version. I forgot to fix the external sd write issues on the NC5 rom so ill fix that before uploading...

In the mean time if your on my nc2 rom heres a zip to flash to enable all toggles https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mwuuj2ejasu65e/restoerconsqlite.zip

added:

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip
    MD5: 6a4013e4e15acfc9b45e16ad7aac6ddf

Features:
    -rooted
    -busybox
    -odex
    -write to external sd is NOT enabled
    -tethering is NOT enabled
    -no alterations have been made aside from root and busybox being added
    -no aroma installer
    -zip to add all toggles here
    -zip to add tethering here
    -zip to add write to external sd fix here

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip
    MD5: c9ac7a4e62679693f43ac0c150761269

Features:
    -rooted
    -busybox
    -deodex
    -init.d
    -setup wizard now completes, no force closes at boot, fixed majority of reported issues
    -write to external sd is enabled
    -tethering is enabled
    -no apks have been deleted
    -no aroma installer
    -extended reboot menu added
    -zip to add all toggles here though toggles should automatically appear after 2nd boot without flashing zip

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip is meant to replace the VRUFNC5_Stock_Rooted-v2.zip.
    This is getting ridiculous. I cant count the number of PM's I get asking questions that are easily found or are obvious and clearly stated in the OP.

Example: "Will this method allow me to upgrade to NC5 with root?"

Again and others that constantly are having the Kies firmware error screen asking me what to do next. I've been pretty lenient in helping people up to this point but now im going to have to say that if you are having trouble understanding the OP or figuring out how to use google then I do not recommend you use this method.

Hi all,

While it may sound appealing to downgrade to MK2 after you've taken the NC5 ota, please realize you are likely to have issues if you stay on MK2 since the sound and wifi might be lost from rom to rom. It may be in your best interest to upgrade to NC5 rooted odex/deodex or any other kitkat rom after downgrading. If you know what you are doing, obviously ignore my post.

Thanks!