What is the model number for the unlocked US LG G3?

Search This thread

Uclydde

Jan 20, 2013
Orlando
I'm thinking of buying an LG G3, but I wanted to know what the USA unlocked (no carrier) model number is, and I've had trouble finding it. Any help? :D

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
Consumer Cellular. I have to buy my phones off-contract to use them with my carrier. It runs on AT&T's network.

Ok you'll probably want to use the T-Mobile variant and get it unlocked. You don't actually want to use an AT&T phone on an AT&T MVNO (like Consumer Cellular), because the intrusive AT&T bloatware doesn't leave you alone, but it's useless on anything other than AT&T itself (AT&T Address Book is particularly vile). T-Mobile's bloat is lower key and tends to go away if you want it to.

The T-Mobile variant (D851) will support HSPA on the frequencies Consumer Cellular uses. It also supports LTE Bands 17, 4, and 2, which Consumer Cellular/AT&T uses. The only problem might be LTE Band 5, which the D851 does NOT support. That's the downside, though thankfully AT&T doesn't seem to be using 850 Mhz for LTE all that much.

Reactions: Uclydde

Uclydde

Jan 20, 2013
Orlando
Ok you'll probably want to use the T-Mobile variant and get it unlocked. You don't actually want to use an AT&T phone on an AT&T MVNO (like Consumer Cellular), because the intrusive AT&T bloatware doesn't leave you alone, but it's useless on anything other than AT&T itself (AT&T Address Book is particularly vile). T-Mobile's bloat is lower key and tends to go away if you want it to.

The T-Mobile variant (D851) will support HSPA on the frequencies Consumer Cellular uses. It also supports LTE Bands 17, 4, and 2, which Consumer Cellular/AT&T uses. The only problem might be LTE Band 5, which the D851 does NOT support. That's the downside, though thankfully AT&T doesn't seem to be using 850 Mhz for LTE all that much.

Thank you for that info! But also, are both models able to be rooted and bootloader unlocked? I'm a huge root user and I always uninstall bloat anyways. But I want to make sure that I can also unlock the bootloader so I could install a custom rom like CM11.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
Thank you for that info! But also, are both models able to be rooted and bootloader unlocked? I'm a huge root user and I always uninstall bloat anyways. But I want to make sure that I can also unlock the bootloader so I could install a custom rom like CM11.

The T-Mobile version's bootloader is unlocked, the AT&T one is not. Both have been rooted at this point, but LG's big on not updating rooted devices, so I haven't bothered rooting. I don't know if the G3 will actively block updates on a rooted device like the G2 and OGP did, but it's certainly possible, and I won't get enough from rooting that I actually care about to make me want to try.

Reactions: Uclydde

Uclydde

Jan 20, 2013
Orlando
The T-Mobile version's bootloader is unlocked, the AT&T one is not. Both have been rooted at this point, but LG's big on not updating rooted devices, so I haven't bothered rooting. I don't know if the G3 will actively block updates on a rooted device like the G2 and OGP did, but it's certainly possible, and I won't get enough from rooting that I actually care about to make me want to try.

Wait so are you saying the T-Mobile version comes bootloader unlocked, or tha you can't unlock the AT&T's bootloader?

mtoda

Sep 11, 2012
Google Pixel 6

The AT&T D850's bootloader is locked. I have one. I'm also a huge fan of Rooting and loading CM11, but the new LG interface isn't bad enough to make me do all that. Unlike the Touch Jizz Crap I had on my S3 with Sprint. I couldn't root that phone and load CM11 fast enough on that device. It's a shame too, the S3 is actually a really nice phone for it's time. The G3 actually runs pretty smoothly and the bloat wares aren't really in my face all the time. The only one I find annoying is that freaking ATT address book crap which will some day force me to root this phone and kill it. Good thing that the Root method is already available for the Verizon and ATT variants of G3.

Some one said you won't be able to find the US unlocked version of the G3, he's right so far. I was on that boat too. I couldn't wait to get my switch to the new G3 and Amazon, Bestbuy, or even freaking going to the phone stores such as ATT or T-Mobile would sell it. I forgot to think of ATT and T-mobile as a service provider instead of a phone store because they obviously only wanted to sell plans and the phones are pretty much accessories of those plans.

Anyways, long story short, I got my unlocked G3 (ATT version) via ebay. Then I used it on Straight Talk. Everything works the way they are suppose to and I am getting ATT LTE speeds too, just at half the price. There are only 2 things that doesn't quite work. One is sending and receiving MMS. The other is visual voicemail. MMS thing, I still have to call straight talk up and deal with their infamous customer service. The visual voicemail thing, I just use youmail and it works ok and an alternative. Some ads here and there, and the interface isn't the best in the world, but at least it works. It's a shame that LG doesn't sell their own unlocked phones via their own website like HTC does.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Consumer Cellular. I have to buy my phones off-contract to use them with my carrier. It runs on AT&T's network.

And you can not unlock the AT&T version's bootloader?

Only the T-Mobile model is bootloader unlocked. Every other model is locked down currently.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app