I booted TWRP recovery onto kindle fire 2

Search This thread

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
what if we replaced the recovery.img in /system with cwm or twrp? then made it update by placing a newer system version in the kindleupdates folder? replace recovery, reboot. then try to update?

I just created a sparse image from a system backup i made. Flashing via fastboot now

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
I just restored my kf2. Hell yes. That was sooo stressfull. At least I have experience now!

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
fstab

would this be a correct fstab for building twrp from kf1 source? Is this all I would need to change? If so could someone assist me in compiling?

Code:
# mount point	fstype    device    	[device2]

/boot       emmc         /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
/recovery   emmc         /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

/system     ext4        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system
/data       ext4        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata
/cache      ext4        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache

/xloader    emmc        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/xloader
/bootloader emmc        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootloader
/dkernel    emmc        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/dkernel
/dfs        emmc        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/dfs
/backup     emmc        /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/backup

/sdcard     vfat        /dev/block/mmcblk0p12

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
* PLEASE DONT TRY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU OWN AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE A FASTBOOT CABLE. ALSO MAKE BACKUPS OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS IN CASE OF DISASTER RECOVERY *

Regarding building a TWRP for KFire2:
I replied in a PM but thought that maybe the information could also be used by the general KFire2 population.

recovery.fstab:
This is close. But, sdcard is handled very differently on otter2 (KFire2). Try this instead:

Code:
/sdcard	 	datamedia	/dev/null
/data		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata
/cache		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache
/system		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system
/boot		emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
/recovery	emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

I took the liberty of removing "dangerous" partitions from the list.

Now I don't think you'll want to actually flash anything other than: data/cache/system. As it will most definitely break the signature checking on the partition.

That being said, I am working on a long-term goal of supporting both kf1 and kf2 via a 2nd-bootloader and some adjustments to the current bootloader that the kf1 uses (IE: allow it to load the signed kernel/recovery partitions which are needed for kf2)

And changes to BoardConfig.mk
Also,

Make sure you have these options set in BoardConfig.mk (some may already be there which is ok):

Code:
TW_NO_REBOOT_BOOTLOADER := true
TW_NO_REBOOT_RECOVERY := true
TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/data/media"
TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "data"
RECOVERY_SDCARD_ON_DATA := true
TW_ALWAYS_RMRF := true
TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose

Hah. Just letting you know, semi-knowledgable people are reading this. It was my weekend though and I didn't bother to post until I could sit down at a PC and do some forum posting. If you need any help on my end, let me know, just I won't know more than you most likely although I am willing to learn. I have a KF2 and plan to buy or make a fastboot cable. I think I will make one just so I can learn, then buy one if I don't like how mine turned out. If you need me to run any software though I am willing as long as I know how to unbrick my device for certain first. Once you get into testing ROMs and using the recoveries, I know a little bit more about that. All my experience comes from flashing ROMs and Kernels and whatnot. I've used an evo 4g and galaxy s2. I also am the go-to person for friends so had some fun with random phones over the years. It's always interesting to see the types of rooting and ROMing methods, and all the odd types of dev teams you see across the board.

Reactions: powerpoint45

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys! Using a factory cable I got into fastboot. Once in fastboot I downloaded TWRP image for the kindle fire 1 http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/blaze/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-blaze.img then I typed

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 boot Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-blaze.img

but after doing that it just booted back into fastboot so then I did the same thing but right after the image got downloaded onto the device, I entered the command again and it booted right into TWRP. It takes a few tries but it works. Touch points all work but I am not sure about anything else. Hope this helps with further development.

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dL_QxFVRtc
    * PLEASE DONT TRY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU OWN AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE A FASTBOOT CABLE. ALSO MAKE BACKUPS OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS IN CASE OF DISASTER RECOVERY *

Regarding building a TWRP for KFire2:
    I replied in a PM but thought that maybe the information could also be used by the general KFire2 population.

recovery.fstab:
    This is close. But, sdcard is handled very differently on otter2 (KFire2). Try this instead:

Code:
    /sdcard	 	datamedia	/dev/null
    /data		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata
    /cache		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache
    /system		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system
    /boot		emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    /recovery	emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

I took the liberty of removing "dangerous" partitions from the list.

Now I don't think you'll want to actually flash anything other than: data/cache/system. As it will most definitely break the signature checking on the partition.

That being said, I am working on a long-term goal of supporting both kf1 and kf2 via a 2nd-bootloader and some adjustments to the current bootloader that the kf1 uses (IE: allow it to load the signed kernel/recovery partitions which are needed for kf2)

And changes to BoardConfig.mk
    Also,

Make sure you have these options set in BoardConfig.mk (some may already be there which is ok):

Code:
    TW_NO_REBOOT_BOOTLOADER := true
    TW_NO_REBOOT_RECOVERY := true
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/data/media"
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "data"
    RECOVERY_SDCARD_ON_DATA := true
    TW_ALWAYS_RMRF := true
    TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true
    Hey guys! Just wanted to show you the tests that were done yesterday with Hashcode. We are testing a boot image made by Hashcode. A custom recovery was built by hashcode but we never got it to boot...

Test 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2QeTZSgyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtT4BoHQLOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2 boot selection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWVPBygQSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozr_62ssVkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Last night we fixed the following:
    *audio
    *adb
    *MTP
    *video (not HD)
    *boot loader bug Fix's