Testing Firefox OS in Xperia SP

Search This thread

Levered

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2012
Malaysia
levered.webs.com
No, it's a side project so it doesn't get much time. Release won't be for several weeks. The issues are not only on the side of device porting but also on the side of Mozilla. It is still under active development, unlike Android which is only released when it is complete.

pranavthombare

Jul 24, 2013
Ahmedabad
Yeah, but of we get Ubuntu, it'd better right? But alas, no dev to port it for xsp. Same is for Firefox. As @Levered said it'll take a lot of time to get updates from the op if it gets ported

deathviper

Feb 1, 2012
www.facebook.com
No, it's a side project so it doesn't get much time. Release won't be for several weeks. The issues are not only on the side of device porting but also on the side of Mozilla. It is still under active development, unlike Android which is only released when it is complete.
but it will get much attention by many devs and also Adam Farden will complete it , ya ya it may take several week or months.... but we can expect a new OS for our SP.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Yeah, but of we get Ubuntu, it'd better right? But alas, no dev to port it for xsp. Same is for Firefox. As @Levered said it'll take a lot of time to get updates from the op if it gets ported
qGo09MP.png

pranavthombare

Jul 24, 2013
Ahmedabad
Oh man
This is getting awesome!! I just want to try Ubuntu os but I'm a noob[emoji53]. So I'll rather wait and not make any threads for request.
And thanks man. You are awesome too for giving us hopes for a different os[emoji6]

Reactions: hejo619

antoyn

Jan 6, 2014
Hong Kong
Waiting for the firefox os for sp eagerly. Hope to see it can bring a totally new user experience to sp users

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: MH-Droid

MH-Droid

Feb 21, 2012
Tehran
Im waiting too.. Its very good to see Firefox os working on my sp..I'd like to see Ubuntu os too..

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

adfad666

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
I'm curious, what are you guys 'eager' to see this?

The reason for no release is due to camera. From what I can tell the camera blobs depend on some Android specific parts which will never be part of FxOS (of course).

Unless this is solved then I will probably not release this for Xperia SP as nobody will use it without a functioning camera.

I'm considering getting Xperia E1 to continue this project as this hardware is better supported in FxOS and it also looks like the camera blobs do not have this limitation.

Reactions: igor_anta

noahvt

Jan 27, 2013
Antwerpen

The reason for no release is due to camera. From what I can tell the camera blobs depend on some Android specific parts which will never be part of FxOS (of course).

Unless this is solved then I will probably not release this for Xperia SP as nobody will use it without a functioning camera.

I'm considering getting Xperia E1 to continue this project as this hardware is better supported in FxOS and it also looks like the camera blobs do not have this limitation.

You caused it lol by posting this and showing a video everyone got all excited also you could just release non working build like many devs do with their custom ROMs: on some phones the phone might never have working wi-fi on custom ROMs (desire c fixed after about a year of tinkering) or if you check out the HTC one x custom ROMs they have a lot of stuff broken too!

Sent from my Xperia SP using XDA Free mobile app

adfad666

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
... you could just release non working build like many devs do with their custom ROMs ...

No way, missing camera (and bluetooth) are missing features too big to warrant a release.

Besides, would anyone really permanently switch from Android to FxOS on Xperia SP if I fixed these two issues and released it? I'd bet money on it that people would use it for a couple of hours maximum, then realize they need the Google services that push all notifications to the phone.

(FxOS doesn't have push notifications for most things, pretty much everything has to be reloaded / refreshed manually, even syncing contact data.)

Reactions: igor_anta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh man
    This is getting awesome!! I just want to try Ubuntu os but I'm a noob[emoji53]. So I'll rather wait and not make any threads for request.
    And thanks man. You are awesome too for giving us hopes for a different os[emoji6]
    Waiting for the firefox os for sp eagerly. Hope to see it can bring a totally new user experience to sp users

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

... you could just release non working build like many devs do with their custom ROMs ...

No way, missing camera (and bluetooth) are missing features too big to warrant a release.

Besides, would anyone really permanently switch from Android to FxOS on Xperia SP if I fixed these two issues and released it? I'd bet money on it that people would use it for a couple of hours maximum, then realize they need the Google services that push all notifications to the phone.

(FxOS doesn't have push notifications for most things, pretty much everything has to be reloaded / refreshed manually, even syncing contact data.)