DUAL BOOT for SGY

Search This thread

Harsh06

Mar 1, 2012
Shah Alam
Only me n Kurotsugi kun try this?..Irfanbagus thank u so much..and of course kurtsugi too for the meta-inf.
Stock n custom rom both inside my device now.Currently running on 2gigsd n im definitely gonna buy big and fat sd today.

Attachments

• SC20120415-042419.png
    SC20120415-042419.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
Only me n Kurotsugi kun try this?..Irfanbagus thank u so much..and of course kurtsugi too for the meta-inf.
Stock n custom rom both inside my device now.Currently running on 2gigsd n im definitely gonna buy big and fat sd today.

ups...I forgot to mention that its actually a slight modified myss's installer script (only changed based on irfan's guide). credits for the original dev. it helps me a lot in understanding those script. :D

kentoi me

Feb 12, 2012
lost city
check this picture. people will get jealous after saw this one (lol)
attachment.php

even if your kernel wouldn't support a2sd, it still gives miracles for our device. I have some new idea's to make use this feature. it will be fun :D

woooooooooooooooooooohh..:eek::eek::eek: u rawk bro... sgy now is a monster... too much internal memory... hahah great... need to know that sumday bro... with ur help ofcourse:D:D

Harsh06

Mar 1, 2012
Shah Alam
Im not sure if repencis rom allow u to flash irfan kernel.I started with stock rom.Here what i did.

>Flash Irfan kernel
>Create 4 sd partition block via minitools(fat32,ext3 x3)
>Install custom rom.But b4 installed i replace meta-inf files with Kurotsugi meta-inf
>Create empty file and name it "bootsdcard" in the root of sdcard n reboot.
>It will boot 2nd rom and if u want to revert back the 1st rom,delete the bootsdcard files n reboot.

Reactions: rohit589769

Dr. Narinder

Nov 20, 2011
India
Im not sure if repencis rom allow u to flash irfan kernel.I started with stock rom.Here what i did.

>Flash Irfan kernel
>Create 4 sd partition block via minitools(fat32,ext3 x3)
>Install custom rom.But b4 installed i replace meta-inf files with Kurotsugi meta-inf
>Create empty file and name it "bootsdcard" in the root of sdcard n reboot.
>It will boot 2nd rom and if u want to revert back the 1st rom,delete the bootsdcard files n reboot.

Create empty file or folder and name it "bootsdcard" in the root of sdcard n reboot
Please clarify

Harsh06

Mar 1, 2012
Shah Alam
After successfully installed custom rom with update-script modify,that bootsdcard will load 2nd rom..

Root Ex > sdcard > create new file and name it bootsdcard > reboot
If u success then 2nd rom will boot on your sdcard.Sorry for my bad english.

irfanbagus

Mar 12, 2012
ideally you use modified updater-script from your custom rom. only need small change to updater-script. but the one from kurotsugi might be work because most custom rom did the same thing. if someone can upload updater-script from popular custom rom in this forum, i can edited for you. please check post #18

in few days, if i have time, i will write about technical detail of my mod, so other dev can integrated to their kernel or rom.

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
woooooooooooooooooooohh..:eek::eek::eek: u rawk bro... sgy now is a monster... too much internal memory... hahah great... need to know that sumday bro... with ur help ofcourse:D:D

its only one implementation of irfan's work. in my case, I only increase the partition size for the /data. there'll be more fun since there are more several possibilities of its implementation.

Did u mean tht i should use my own update-script from the custom rom instead
using yours sir?

nope...you can use mine. I just feel bad because not mention that it is based on myss's script.

irfanbagus

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks irfanbagus..If u have time can u help me edit the updater-script from buzzrom 2.1
Thanks in advance.
http://www.4shared.com/zip/VNPlSOW2/META-INF.html?

remove ".txt" extension. please double check before use, i am not 100% sure it's working before try it by myself. use "diff" program to show which line i removed.

btw i just realize 2 updater-script that i edited try to mount /dev/block/stl19. that partition is not exist in sgy. anyone know why or it's just bad porting/generator

Attachments

• updater-script.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Harsh06

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
@irfan: the installer script from myss, old repencis, hybrid, old creed, are basicly same. I've found that they're different only on the sequences, its addtional script like 'print_ui', and the one used to show progress bar. I'm not sure if it will work on newer rom because it has more script to enable a2sd and install the kernel.

Harsh06

Mar 1, 2012
Shah Alam
Well done

remove ".txt" extension. please double check before use, i am not 100% sure it's working before try it by myself. use "diff" program to show which line i removed.

btw i just realize 2 updater-script that i edited try to mount /dev/block/stl19. that partition is not exist in sgy. anyone know why or it's just bad porting/generator

Salute..good job, edited for my script worked.Thank u

Attachments

• SC20120416-011511.png
    SC20120416-011511.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 177

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is still alpha release and not fully tested. the idea based on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1155613 but this is diffrent implementation. i successfully boot using stock rom dxlc1 on internal storage and hybrid 2.1 on sdcard.

instalation :
    1. flash kenel using odin (or other method for kernel flashing)
    2. make 4 partition in your sdcard
    1st fat-32 for your data
    2nd ext3 for system
    3rd ext3 for cache
    4th ext3 for data
    for testing, i use about 300MB for all ext3 partition
    3. edit updater-script
    - change /dev/block/stl9 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 and the type from rfs to ext3
    - change /dev/block/stl10 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and the type from rfs to ext3
    - change /dev/block/stl11 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 and the type from rfs to ext3
    - don't use a2sd
    - don't flash boot.img
    change for hybrid 2.1 rom:

change line

Code:
    mount("rfs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/stl19", "/system");

with

Code:
    unmount("/system");
    mount("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2", "/system");

remove line

Code:
    package_extract_dir("data", "/data");

remove all line with word "dtinstall"

remove this line

Code:
    assert(package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img"),
           write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot"),
           delete("/tmp/boot.img"));
    4. install your edited rom as usual (i use cwm)

5. done. if you want boot to sdcard, create empty file named "bootsdcard" in your sdcard 1st partition and reboot

note :
    - you can boot using dual rom but not dual kernel (yet). this one is stock kernel, so no init.d (yet)
    - it does NOT work with a2sd or link2sd
    - like i said it's not fully tested yet. it's only for dev and tester. use with caution
    - boot from sdcard is slower compared to internal storage. little bit laggy i think, but still very usable
    - if you already tested,please report your result

link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6zrkh6a872036x7
    at this time,, cant relate buddy.. for newbie like me.. pls make a tutorial for that bro.. great help for us again and more thank can be gain also.. haha... nyc work again buddy

i want to make it easier to follow, but (maybe) different rom have different install script. so i just write general method and one example for hybrid, because i only have that rom in my hard disk and my connection too slow to download other custom rom. if someone with large custom rom collection can upload updater-script from custom rom (updater-script only, not full rom), i can edit it for you. it's located in "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script" inside your custom rom zip file.

and please, not everybody do something just for thanks meter. someone maybe do it just to make his/her phone better, or just to share, or just to make someone else with more expensive phone jealous :D
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /cache type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

on my SGY I would not put cache onto sd card. way too slow. just wipe cache after switching to alternate ROM. so you maintain cache speed from NAND.

maybe I will soon release DUAL STOCK ROM with latest xxli2 version rom, pdroid-ready.

what ya think ?
    ROM dualbooting is easy to do, because you only have to edit the ramdisk, which is in the boot image.

Yet you would have to alter the boot loader to load the boot image from bml6 or bml8 instead of bml7. And that's hard.
    And if you fail, you are as close to a hard brick as it gets.

Also there could be important things on bml6 and bml8.

you don't have to. you could just use kexec and wrap using user-space 'bootloader'. i am playing with it few month ago. it successfully load new kernel but for unknown reasons it failed to boot. could be driver or just boot params. someone make kexec hardboot to solve driver issue with kexec, but because i don't think people will use dual boot kernel (including me) i am not try to port to our kernel.
    I've already made one irfan. check on my mediafire link.

i did, and thank you for sharing. but different rom need different script, even if usually all updater-script from cutom rom do the same thing, mount, delete, extract, create simlink, chmod file, install a2sd, and install kernel. to install to sdcard only need simple modification, but still need little knowledge about edify.