[UBUNTU][Testing] How-to install it on the Prime

Search This thread

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
The nexus 7 thing is for the nexus 7, it doesn't magically include a kernel for everyone :) the userland side does not vary much from device to device though

Reactions: Mangala_Dharma

Loccy

Jul 12, 2005
refer to my last post, the one right before your response

Yep, I wasn't suggesting the existence of a magical all device kernel, more pointing out that an official Ubuntu installer for an Android device is something of a shift from Canonical's perspective. Today, one device, tomorrow there might be others.

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
ubuntu-prime.img.gz

where i can find ubuntu-prime.img.gz?
all links does *not* work!
i tried on google and asked on some IRC channels....
i need it for some firmware and modules. ( i can recompile them from kernel sources, but I do not know what they are).

thanks in advance.

PS:
if you have that file but cannot sharing it, can you:
$ gz -dc ubuntu-prime.img.gz > ubuntu-prime.img
$ sudo mount ubuntu-prime.img /mnt -o rw,user,loop -t ext4
$ cd /mnt
$ tar -acjf /tmp/stolen_from_ubuntu.tar.bz2 lib/firmware/prime* lib/modules/* /usr/sbin/brcm_patchram_plus
$ cd -
$ sudo umount /mnt
$ rm ubuntu-prime.img

and post the /tmp/stolen_from_ubuntu.tar.bz2 ??? many thanks dudes! ;)

supperbas

Feb 14, 2010
@tux_mind
http://lilstevie.geek.nz/ports/

**ooh wait looks like the ubuntu-prime.img.gz is missing let me upload the gz (stored it somewhere) could take a while though ~550mb
Edit: - removed mirror
Edit2: See original link above and look for the device name in the 4th column

Now while replying to this thread, any updates @lilstevie? Already able to give an estimation on some sort of alpha/beta/final release? (or beta testers perhaps)

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: tux_mind

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
**ooh wait looks like the ubuntu-prime.img.gz is missing
It isn't missing it got renamed, if you look at the list you will see there are 2 ubuntu.imgs, one for DEVICE: TF101 and one for DEVICE: TF201.

Now while replying to this thread, any updates @lilstevie? Already able to give an estimation on some sort of alpha/beta/final release? (or beta testers perhaps)
Cheers

I will not give ETAs, I have a very big history of missing ETAs if I give one. I will say something will be out soon, but do remember soon is a subjective term and does not really give you much better than what was already said :p

Reactions: Deathbyfugu

supperbas

Feb 14, 2010
Whoops sorry; I was already wondering what was the difference between the two :p didn't see the 4th column.
I removed my mirror as it's probably better to keep things organized by you, instead of having mirrors everywhere.

Haha I know all about ETAs but I'm looking forward to your 'soon'! [offtopic](Reminds me of an update for my own site which started out as 'spring update' a year ago and now it's the 'winter update' which most likely will be postponed until spring again :p; would probably be better to just put 'when it's done' as the release date :p)[/offtopic]

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
@tux_mind
let me upload the gz (stored it somewhere) could take a while though ~550mb

thank you!

It isn't missing it got renamed, if you look at the list you will see there are 2 ubuntu.imgs, one for DEVICE: TF101 and one for DEVICE: TF201.

i downloaded it about 24 hours ago and it does not contains any /lib/firmware/prime*, while the 'version' uploaded by supperbas have it.

i'm trying to put gentoo on eMMC, but with no success.... the chroot inside android works, but when i:
./nvflash flash boot mmc-linux.blob
the blue bar appear but if i reboot android is booted...neither an error of missing file or something like, it just boot android as usually....

any suggestion?

supperbas

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah I had similar problems; Keep in mind that there is no 'support' for this version.

What I suggest is that you install clean ICS bootloader etc. (so make sure you don't have the Jellybean bootloader and stuff)
Then follow the instructions from the first post.
That solved the problems for me. Cheers

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
thank you!

i downloaded it about 24 hours ago and it does not contains any /lib/firmware/prime*, while the 'version' uploaded by supperbas have it.

i'm trying to put gentoo on eMMC, but with no success.... the chroot inside android works, but when i:
./nvflash flash boot mmc-linux.blob
the blue bar appear but if i reboot android is booted...neither an error of missing file or something like, it just boot android as usually....

any suggestion?

check the md5 and that you had the right version, I just extracted to check and they are most certainly there.

supperbas

Feb 14, 2010
I used an microSD card like the first post suggests. I bought a faster one that was really useful btw. But read the past few pages they might give you an better idea on what to do.

But yeah like lilstevie says make sure you double check the MD5 hash first to see if you fully downloaded the file.
As for my 'version' that's (I assume) the identical version that's now on lilstevie's site; it's the one I downloaded from Stevie's site a couple of months ago (or weeks)

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
the file isn't a problem now, i downloaded it and it's the right one ( md5 match ).
i started with the target of put gentoo on emmc but now i realize that maybe it's better if i focus on put ubuntu on the emmc and then,
when I've understood how does it works, i'll put gentoo on ( i think it's the distro with more packages for armv7, since the packages are the source code :) ).

i don't have understood why if i flash the bootloader with the mmc-linux.blob it does not try to booting up from emmc.....

i'm gonna edit the mmc-linux.blob.EBT to replace some kernel args ( remove quiet ).

will post updates soon.

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
I used an microSD card like the first post suggests. I bought a faster one that was really useful btw. But read the past few pages they might give you an better idea on what to do.

But yeah like lilstevie says make sure you double check the MD5 hash first to see if you fully downloaded the file.
As for my 'version' that's (I assume) the identical version that's now on lilstevie's site; it's the one I downloaded from Stevie's site a couple of months ago (or weeks)

I haven't touched that image in a very long time, it isn't something I use myself. The version I am running is 12.10

I hope to have something soon but at present there are a few issues;

• Ubuntu images currently fail to build due to an unknown reason
  • Time to work on the project isn't as much as I'd like it to be
  • There is still a lot of code that needs to go into the boot selection screen

The second and third reasons are closely related, especially once you add in the days where my motivation is lower
and I don't feel up to sitting in front of a terminal window for the day coding. I have probably 50 or 60 hours of work
that I still need to do on the boot manager.

Deathbyfugu

Jan 2, 2011
I haven't touched that image in a very long time, it isn't something I use myself. The version I am running is 12.10

I hope to have something soon but at present there are a few issues;

• Ubuntu images currently fail to build due to an unknown reason
  • Time to work on the project isn't as much as I'd like it to be
  • There is still a lot of code that needs to go into the boot selection screen

The second and third reasons are closely related, especially once you add in the days where my motivation is lower
and I don't feel up to sitting in front of a terminal window for the day coding. I have probably 50 or 60 hours of work
that I still need to do on the boot manager.

Well take your time - it sounds like you're making great progress and that is all that matters. Do you have 12.10 running on a device with the JB bootloader or is it still unsupported?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
I have probably 50 or 60 hours of work that I still need to do on the boot manager.

i'm not an android developer ( i sincerely hate java ) but, as gentoo user, I am very familiar with the "building" of linux systems, and as developer, i love writing code.

so, can i help you through github?
I've some free hours between one course and another and the night it's made for write beautiful code! ;)

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Well take your time - it sounds like you're making great progress and that is all that matters. Do you have 12.10 running on a device with the JB bootloader or is it still unsupported?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

The installer will be enforcing use of the JB bootloader.

i'm not an android developer ( i sincerely hate java ) but, as gentoo user, I am very familiar with the "building" of linux systems, and as developer, i love writing code.

so, can i help you through github?
I've some free hours between one course and another and the night it's made for write beautiful code! ;)

The code at the moment is built atop TWRP (yes read that as touch enabled boot selection).

Unfortunately opening up source at this stage will bring up a whole set of issues, because the basic framework for the actions is still being worked on (yes this really has been a last minute addition) to explain what is needed to be done will probably be harder than just doing it.

Once all the basic functionality required for it to at least work is done I will be opening the code up for others to be able to submit improvements etc.

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
ok, i'll wait.
in the meanwhile i'm trying to modify bootloader for change the args passed to the kernel.

i have it work on 2.6 kernel but i need to do some extra trick for the 3.1 one.

tux_mind

Mar 3, 2012
ok, i've a working gentoo system on emmc, quite fast.
21 MB/s read
27 MB/s write

btw the kernel it's the 2.3.36, i'm working on booting up the 3.1 kernel but it seems like a CTF challenge....

i'll make a guide when i finish to compile all Xorg and nvidia stuff, so you will just extract my compressed root into /data.

cheers!

PS:
if you have any suggestion on how to change the booting partition of the 3.1 kernel plz help me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -----------
    HOW-TO: Ubuntu on Asus Transformer Prime TF201

Port by lilstevie (thank you for your hard work)
    --------

DISCLAIMER:
    I wrote this how-to from my experience installing successfully Ubuntu on my Prime.
    I am in no way responsible for what you do with your Prime, even when you are following my instructions.
    There is always the risk of making it worse, hardbricking your device, and this risk is completely down to you !
    This is not a final version. This port is currently very unstable !
    Install Ubuntu on your TF201 for testing purposes only !

HOW-TO Unbrick your Prime (or not...):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514088

--------

VERSION:
    v0.1: First version of the tutorial

ABOUT:
    - Working:
    Wifi – Same patch as for the TF101
    Keyboard (if you have a dock)
    USB Host (if you have a dock)

- Partially working:
    Graphics Acceleration (only 2D at this point)
    Touchscreen (it works but every few touches are off target by 1/2 the screen)

- Not working:
    Bluetooth
    Trackpad
    Sound
    Sensors (ALS, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer)
    Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend

--------

Links:
    Bootimage http://173.244.200.139/ports/prime-sdlinux.blob
    RootFS http://173.244.200.139/ports/ubuntu-prime.img.gz
    Fastboot http://alpharev.nl/wintools.zip

MD5:
    9625d336062b2ff7eb9530dd5e48fb9e prime-sdlinux.blob
    1a59e7918c199a85f805cb62ca130dae ubuntu.img
    81238957a42b207213442cba7eeff684 wintools.zip

--------

Hardware:
    Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (bootloader unlocked & with data/charge cable)
    A computer with Linux installed
    MicroSD card of at least 4GB (a fast card is better)

--------

Pre-requisities:
    1. You need to have an already unlocked Prime.
    To unlock it, use the official Asus Bootloader Unlock Tool APK on Android.

2. You need to have the latest ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed to easily backup & restore your device.
    To install it, you can use the Android tool 'ROM Manager' from Play Store if you system is already rooted.
    Otherwise, you can use the 'Fastboot' tool along with this tutorial (BE CAREFUL!):
    HOW-TO 1: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/install-cwm-5-8-2-0-on-transformer-prime/
    HOW-TO 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576937

(You can also install the Touch version of CWM to avoid destroying your volume buttons while navigating :D)
    CLASSIC : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-tf201.img
    TOUCH : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img

3. Before trying to do anything with your device, make a full nandroid backup of the current WORKING Android system.

To do that:
    - Reboot on CWM (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Navigate to 'backup and restore', then 'backup'
    - Wait until the full backup is done...

--------

- INSTALL Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    To have a working Ubuntu system on the Prime, you have to:
    - Extract the root file system on your MicroSD card
    - Flash the bootimage right on the device

While installing Ubuntu, the only thing you modify about Android, is the bootimage. You leave the system intact,
    so you'll be able to do a pseudo-dualboot between Ubuntu, and Android (we'll see that later).

HOW-TO:
    Extraction of the root filesystem:
    - Connect your MicroSD card on the computer running linux (ex: /dev/sdc)
    - Umount all current partitions from the card
    - Using fdisk, fully erase it, rebuild partition table, and create one partition (ex: /dev/sdc1)
    - Format it in 'ext4' (ex: $ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1)
    - Using 'dd' command, extract the 'ubuntu.img' filesystem to the recently created partition
    (ex: $ dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sdc1)
    - Wait until extraction completes... (It takes a while...)
    - Mount the partition to verify that the extraction completes successfully (ex: $ mount /dev/sdc1 folder)
    - Umount it, eject the card and put it on the Prime (ex: $ umount /dev/sdc1)
    - Your Ubuntu filesystem is ready to use !

Flashing the bootimage (BE CAREFUL!):
    - Reboot in fastboot mode (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Connect the Prime to the computer, and be sure the drivers are correctly installed
    You can find the drivers here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426502
    - Extract the fastboot archive 'wintools.zip' and move the file 'prime-sdlinux.blob' in the same folder
    - Execute the command: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot prime-sdlinux.blob
    (WARNING! This command will overwrite the bootimage of your Prime! Be sure you know what you're doing!)
    - Wait until the flash completes... (it generally takes a few seconds...)
    - When the blue progress bar is full, on the Prime, hold the Power switch to reboot the device
    - Be sure that the MicroSD card is in the Prime
    - Your Prime is now booting on Ubuntu, you should see some text displaying on the screen
    - Wait until the system initializes... (It takes a while for the first boot...)
    You should see kernel verbose booting, displaying something saying the system is resizing a partition
    on the MicroSD card...
    - Your Ubuntu system is installed ! You can do the graphical basic setup, then do a hard reboot of the device !
    - Good luck with your freshly installed Ubuntu on your awsome Asus Transformer Prime !

--------

- RESTORE Android -

Introduction:
    After installing Ubuntu, to have Android back on the Prime, you have to:
    - (OPTIONAL: Do a full nandroid backup to be able to restore the Ubuntu bootimage directly from the CWM later)
    - Simply restore the Android bootimage from the nandroid backup made before the installation of Ubuntu

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the Android backup made before installing Ubuntu
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...
    - Choose 'reboot system now' to boot in Android

--------

- DUALBOOT Android/Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    We can note that the both systems are installed on two different storage devices.
    Android is directly on the device and Ubuntu is on the MicroSD.
    The only thing that changes between the two systems is the bootimage.
    If you have a nandroid backup of each WORKING systems, you can do an advanced restore of the boot 'boot.img'
    of Ubuntu to boot it from the MicroSD card, or restore the boot of the Android backup to boot on Android !

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the correct backup (the Android one, or the Ubuntu one)
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...

--------

STICKY:
    - Booting the Prime on recovery mode (CWM):
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. When text displays on top of the screen, release all, and press the volume up button
    4. Wait a few seconds and CWM will appear on the Prime...

- Booting the prime in fastboot mode:
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. Wait until the message saying 'OS will coldboot in 10 seconds' etc... then release all buttons
    4. Use the volume down button to select the USB icon
    5. Validate with volume up
    6. You can connect your device to a computer to send fastboot commands...
    Here is a video of the current status.

There is a blog post coming soon.
    You have pubblished new files ?
    We are anxiously awaiting :D

there is a major bug with the 3.1 kernel which is holding things up at the moment, there is a race condition which means the boot needs to be broken out into an initrd shell and resumed to work
    Can You write on How-to for install one distro complete ?

no, and the reason will make you happy!
    just now i've got kexec works! :laugh:

PLEASE STOP TESTING ROOT_CHOOSER v5.
    configuration files syntax will change for support external kernel loading.

so, let me make root_chooser v6 and a custom kernel for boot everything.
    i'll update you soon!

Cheers!
    i did it!
    the touchpad WORKS!
    ensure to have xf86-input-synaptics package installed ( on ubuntu should be 'xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' ).

as usually you can find everything here: https://github.com/tux-mind/tf201-dev
    for update your TF201 follow this guide: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Asus_Transformer_Prime#INSTALLING_THE_KERNEL

we ALWAYS provide the source code, for now all our kernel changes are in the JB15.patch file.
    if you want to contribute i'll add you to the repository collaborators.

cheers!