Help! Droid 2 stuck in boot loop.(solved.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

scrshaw

Oct 8, 2010
Ok, so I was playing around with the new Root Tools app and made a few, what I thought were safe, tweeks to the system and rebooted the phone. It gets past the M screen, runs the boot animation and then starts the boot animation again. No way out except to pull the battery.

How can I get it out of this endless bootloop? If I have to factory reset and start again from scratch, so be it. I would just like to know how.

I've tried holding down different button combinations on boot but haven't come up with the right sequence I guess.
I've also tried pulling the battery as the animation starts, then putting it back in and rebooting which is supposed to call up the recovery mode, but it doesn't. I'm not sure what to try next? I wish these things had a reset button

It's a Droid 2 Rooted with the stock rom running Froyo 2.2. I have the Bootstrap recovery loaded and did a backup with the clockwork recovery. I also have, and use, Titanium Backup Pro for Root.

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
After bootlooping pull the battery and put it back in. Then plug the droid 2 in with the cable either wall or USB will work. Then turn it on and it should get you recovery. The phone has to be completely off when you plug it in though.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

EDIT: I tested it and USB won't work (at least for me) better off just using the wall plug.

Last edited:

scrshaw

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks, but that not working either. When I plug in the cable after the battery pull it starts up automatically and goes to the battery charge screen. I then shut it off and start it back up with no battery but plugged in and it goes right back into the boot loop after the M screen.

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
The batter charge screen is what you want. Just press the power button after you get the charge screen and you'll be booted into clockwork.

But in order to factory reset from a bootloop you have to flash an .sbf theres a few different tutorials. One in Windows, Another in linux/mac, and another in linux but for windows machines through an Ubuntu livecd(that I made:)).

Last edited:

scrshaw

Oct 8, 2010
Oh, OK I thought it was going to go right into recovery mode. Good to know.

I finally figured out how to get into the stock recovery and bootloader, so I tried to run the stock restore but after it wiped the data, it couldn't find the recovery file! So then I read in another post about using RSDlight 4.9 to do an sdf restore so I used that method. Of course while it was flashing I did come across your Ubuntu method and that does look like it would be a simpler process. I'm going make one of those CD's to have for next time.
Anyway, I was able to get it back to stock. It looks like most of my stuff is still on the SD card, so that's a bonus! I'll have to re-root before I can restore everything via Titanium, but that's going to be tomorrow's project. As for now just happy to to have my phone back. Especially before the wife (who has been telling me for weeks to stop F'in with it) found out :eek:.
I really appreciate that you took the time to help, thanks again!:D

HerroMoto

Jun 15, 2010
Can you please explain to me how you fixed this problem? I am currently having this problem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.