I got mine, you got yours? Initial Thoughts . . .

Search This thread

slacka-vt

Nov 17, 2009
Southern Vermont
I'm loving this bad boy so far. The size is absolutely perfect and fits in my hand like a glove.

Physical/ Build Quality

It actually looks and feels more like the OG Inc then the Inc2. Slightly narrower then the Inc2 but a tad longer and has the same red highlighted speaker above the screen as the OG Inc. It also feels lighter then the Inc2 and, it feels more solid than any HTC to date. The back battery cover doesn't make that annoying squeak and fits tightly . :good:

Camera

Although this doesn't have the same imaging software as the ONE series, it takes pictures amazingly fast. Click, click, click -one right after another.

Beats Audio

Gimmick or not, Music sounds noticeably better on this device than on the Inc2. I'm playing the same FLAC HD files off the same SD card.

Cons

Looks like they did away with the FriendStream widget ?! There's a Twitter HTC widget but no HTC widget for Facebook. Only the totally lame FaceBook widget that comes with the FaceBook app. I like having the Twitter and Facebook feeds combined in the FriendStream widget. Bummer . . .

Price

I paid $106.99 (including tax) for the device as a "Buddy Upgrade" on my company's business account. They applied the $50 rebate directly to the purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitsuj17

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012
I haven't gotten one yet but I'm pissed that, at least according to the website, the phone isn't global ready. WTF?? The DINC 2 was global ready right? And this chip supposedly has GSM capabilities built in. So why not make it global ready from day one?

Verizon is getting on my last nerve...first they pass on the One series and put out this phone with inferior specs, then they jerk everyone around waiting for the release so they can screw us on the plan, then they don't make it global ready when the hardware clearly supports it. I don't get it. I'm going the europe next month and was looking forward to using the phone over there.

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
Verzion already has said they will send out a software update to make it globally complient in very near future. It has the hardware to support it inside of it.

NOsquid

Sep 20, 2010
Yeah, I didn't buy one either for the above reason. They told me in the store today it wasn't gsm capable at the moment.

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012
Verzion already has said they will send out a software update to make it globally complient in very near future. It has the hardware to support it inside of it.

LOL...with Verizon the very near future could be a year from now.

And by the way, is it just a coincidence that they send out this OTA to the original DINC that is throwing everyone's phone into a constant reboot loop a week before the new DINC 4G comes out? The timing is a little suspicious. I get the stupid notification like every half hour, hoping the thing will eventually just go away.

Sorry slacka...didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'm done ranting now....:mad:

slacka-vt

Nov 17, 2009
Southern Vermont

No worries. :laugh: I actually have a gripe already -looks like they did away with the FriendStream widget ?! There's a Twitter HTC widget but nothing for FB but the totally lame FaceBook widget that comes with the FaceBook app. I like having the Twitter and Facebook feeds combined in the FriendStream widget. Call me lame . . .

adam10

Nov 17, 2010
I picked up one this morning to replace my galaxy nexus. (By the way, does anyone want a nexus)

So far I love it. I wanted a 4g phone that wasn't as big as a surf board. I don't need a huge screen as I will never watch TV or anything on it so this is perfect.

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
No worries. :laugh: I actually have a gripe already -looks like they did away with the FriendStream widget ?! There's a Twitter HTC widget but nothing for FB but the totally lame FaceBook widget that comes with the FaceBook app. I like having the Twitter and Facebook feeds combined in the FriendStream widget. Call me lame . . .

im sure we can fix that easily given that friendstream does exist for sense4 on the other phones :p

Makaveli1490

May 4, 2011
Honestly if I didnt miss school 2 weeks ago, I would leave work and go straight to picking this phone up. I wonder should I do that.... hmmm....

y2jdmbfan

Mar 12, 2007

Are we sure it isn't in there? That it is a deal breaker for me, FriendStream is the best feature of Sense for me.

Y2J

mthornto88

Nov 7, 2010
Boston, MA
LOL...with Verizon the very near future could be a year from now.

And by the way, is it just a coincidence that they send out this OTA to the original DINC that is throwing everyone's phone into a constant reboot loop a week before the new DINC 4G comes out? The timing is a little suspicious. I get the stupid notification like every half hour, hoping the thing will eventually just go away.

Did anyone try the back door method the rezound has? This is one of the features I was wanting as well. Here is how the Rezound works.
(*#*#4636#*#* in dialer, then phone information) there is a option for "Global Mode" and ones for "WCDMA Only" and "GSM Only"

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012
Did anyone try the back door method the rezound has? This is one of the features I was wanting as well. Here is how the Rezound works.
(*#*#4636#*#* in dialer, then phone information) there is a option for "Global Mode" and ones for "WCDMA Only" and "GSM Only"

So that's all it takes to turn on global mode? Do you have to be rooted?

I think you have to pre-pay for data from verizon before you go right? Like $25/100 mb. So they wouldn't care that you went in and turned on global mode yourself?

maqsur

Mar 27, 2010
Emerald Coast
Was a longtime user of several phones, including Dinc2, and Rezound.

Picked up the 4g lte today, and I gotta say from the limited time I have with it, I am enjoying it. The biggest plus so far is the nice sharp screen. In fact, I like it more than the rezound's 720 p screen because this one is NOT scaled, so everything looks nice and crisp, and the fonts aren't too big.

Sense 4 on this phone seems pretty snappy and smooth, minimal if any lag on certain scrolls, but they are rare. Haven't made phone calls yet. 4g (here in LA county) is variable in terms of speed... from 300 KB/sec to 1.1 MB/sec. I think that is maybe more related to network congestion.

Form factor of the phone is basically the same as the Dinc2, which is a good thing, but I find this one to be easier to hold in my hands, with softer edges. Also, buttons are easier to press than the Dinc2, which is a plus. Battery door easy to open, and doesn't have flex/creaking. Another nice feature is that the SIM tray and SD card tray are both on the side of the phone, so you don't have to remove the battery to access anything, only the back cover.

All in all, I am pleased so far. Hope to continue the enjoyment, and hopefully will see some nice interest in this phone. Only question remaining is whether the bootloader will be unlocked (either by HTCdev, or otherwise). Honestly, though, Sense 4 on this phone is pretty snappy and quick, so I can overlook this even if we don't get AOSP. But nothing wrong with more options, of course, thanks to any and all devs who know how to cook roms, because I sure don't know how to.

:) Thanks for reading!

Reactions: slacka-vt

thelandon

Nov 2, 2010
I understand that you initial posters have your shiny, new phone that you paid for, so please don't flame me for offering what the OP suggested, ie: initial thoughts.

I used the phone briefly in the Verizon store today. I have lots of experience with Sense, having used and rooted both a Droid Incredible and an HTC Rezound. That said, I should state that my bias leans toward Senseless and ASOP roms.

Compared to my Rezound running ConRom, I found the Incredible 4G on Sense 4 to be laggy when it came to screen transitions, ie: opening/closing the market, updating apps, transitioning between Sense home screens, etc. I'm not one of those "The Rezound is the best Android phone out" guys either. I was honestly hoping that this phone would be a significant upgrade over the Rezound. If I still had the ability to keep unlimited data and burn my existing upgrade, my choice would still be either the Rezound or the Galaxy Nexus.

I am envious of the Incredible 4G due to it's form-factor. It's feels great in the hand, light but not too light, and has the same nice rubberized-texture that the Inc 2 and Rezound have.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
I understand that you initial posters have your shiny, new phone that you paid for, so please don't flame me for offering what the OP suggested, ie: initial thoughts.

I used the phone briefly in the Verizon store today. I have lots of experience with Sense, having used and rooted both a Droid Incredible and an HTC Rezound. That said, I should state that my bias leans toward Senseless and ASOP roms.

Compared to my Rezound running ConRom, I found the Incredible 4G on Sense 4 to be laggy when it came to screen transitions, ie: opening/closing the market, updating apps, transitioning between Sense home screens, etc. I'm not one of those "The Rezound is the best Android phone out" guys either. I was honestly hoping that this phone would be a significant upgrade over the Rezound. If I still had the ability to keep unlimited data and burn my existing upgrade, my choice would still be either the Rezound or the Galaxy Nexus.

I am envious of the Incredible 4G due to it's form-factor. It's feels great in the hand, light but not too light, and has the same nice rubberized-texture that the Inc 2 and Rezound have.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

I wasn't running ComRom on my Rezound but so far my experience has been the exact opposite. The Incdreble 4G has had no lag like the Rezound does. Plus, Sense 4 runs circles around the Rezounds version of Sense.

Besides, It's hardly a fair comparison to pit a custom ROM against stock anything.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

mthornto88

Nov 7, 2010
Boston, MA
So that's all it takes to turn on global mode? Do you have to be rooted?

I think you have to pre-pay for data from verizon before you go right? Like $25/100 mb. So they wouldn't care that you went in and turned on global mode yourself?

Global mode is something different. What I am talking about is buying a prepaid sim overseas or using it with t-mobile/att&t. The command doesn't work because Verizon disabled it but if you download the Thunderbolt LTE on/off app in the play store you can change it to GSM only. The options are there so the phone is capable like everyone said. I just got back from receiving the phone and the app works in switching to 3G. The sim for this phone is now a micro-sim so for someone to test they would need to trim a regular sim and put it in. This settings works for voice only. To send SMS and MMS, we need a dev to fix the ROM. That's how they did it with the Rezound. Or we wait for Verizon to enable all the functionality.

So far I am liking the phone. It's more like the original incredible than the incredible 2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm loving this bad boy so far. The size is absolutely perfect and fits in my hand like a glove.

Physical/ Build Quality

It actually looks and feels more like the OG Inc then the Inc2. Slightly narrower then the Inc2 but a tad longer and has the same red highlighted speaker above the screen as the OG Inc. It also feels lighter then the Inc2 and, it feels more solid than any HTC to date. The back battery cover doesn't make that annoying squeak and fits tightly . :good:

Camera

Although this doesn't have the same imaging software as the ONE series, it takes pictures amazingly fast. Click, click, click -one right after another.

Beats Audio

Gimmick or not, Music sounds noticeably better on this device than on the Inc2. I'm playing the same FLAC HD files off the same SD card.

Cons

Looks like they did away with the FriendStream widget ?! There's a Twitter HTC widget but no HTC widget for Facebook. Only the totally lame FaceBook widget that comes with the FaceBook app. I like having the Twitter and Facebook feeds combined in the FriendStream widget. Bummer . . .

Price

I paid $106.99 (including tax) for the device as a "Buddy Upgrade" on my company's business account. They applied the $50 rebate directly to the purchase.
    Was a longtime user of several phones, including Dinc2, and Rezound.

Picked up the 4g lte today, and I gotta say from the limited time I have with it, I am enjoying it. The biggest plus so far is the nice sharp screen. In fact, I like it more than the rezound's 720 p screen because this one is NOT scaled, so everything looks nice and crisp, and the fonts aren't too big.

Sense 4 on this phone seems pretty snappy and smooth, minimal if any lag on certain scrolls, but they are rare. Haven't made phone calls yet. 4g (here in LA county) is variable in terms of speed... from 300 KB/sec to 1.1 MB/sec. I think that is maybe more related to network congestion.

Form factor of the phone is basically the same as the Dinc2, which is a good thing, but I find this one to be easier to hold in my hands, with softer edges. Also, buttons are easier to press than the Dinc2, which is a plus. Battery door easy to open, and doesn't have flex/creaking. Another nice feature is that the SIM tray and SD card tray are both on the side of the phone, so you don't have to remove the battery to access anything, only the back cover.

All in all, I am pleased so far. Hope to continue the enjoyment, and hopefully will see some nice interest in this phone. Only question remaining is whether the bootloader will be unlocked (either by HTCdev, or otherwise). Honestly, though, Sense 4 on this phone is pretty snappy and quick, so I can overlook this even if we don't get AOSP. But nothing wrong with more options, of course, thanks to any and all devs who know how to cook roms, because I sure don't know how to.

:) Thanks for reading!
    Still paid $199 -$50 MIR, which is too much.

Huh? That's cheaper at launch than just about any other phone that's ever existed in this class of smartphones after the mail in rebate.

I'm in a non-4G area so my battery life is probably suffering due to that, but I only got 6:23 this first day, with what I would call moderate use.

I think being in a non-4G area should actually improve your battery life since you're only on the 3G radio, which uses significantly less battery. I'm in a non-4G area and I'm getting 24 hours to a charge. Granted, I keep the brightness very, very low (my eyes don't adjust well to bright screens), so that's probably more than most people get. Disabling auto brightness and dropping your screen's brightness by about 10% won't be too noticeable and it should save you a lot of battery if your eyes can adjust to it. After 10 hours of use the screen has been accountable for 63% of the battery drain with 2 hours of screen on time, and that's with the screen brightness at about 25%.

BTW, trust me, you're going to want that right task button with JB. Once I started using it it was put to service as much as the others. JB keeps maybe 20 (didn't count, but more than 8) recent apps in cue vertically and a single tap on that button allows you to instantly jump back to exactly where you left off in another app. Once you fire a few off you just use that button to pop back and forth.

That's good to hear. Actually, after using the phone more, I've found myself using the task button more and more. I'm actually appreciating it's there a lot more now.

Sense apparently won't allow you to select an alternate keyboard. I was able to install it, enable it, but doing a long press in a entry window didn't bring up the Change Input requestor.

Changing the input method is no longer done with a long-press in an entry window. Just selecting a text box and bringing up the software keyboard should add a notification in your pull-down menu called "Select input method" which works fine for me. I have NumberPad Keyboard installed and was able to switch to it fine, although I stuck with Sense because the NumberPad Keyboard doesn't scale well on qHD devices.
    I've only had it a couple hours now (coming from the original Dinc)... and I love it.

Can't believe the speed difference. Shelled out for full retail to be able to keep my unlimited data (although the VZ sales rep "mistakenly" upgraded me to 2GB plan, so I had to go back to the store to get it resolved). It's just fast. As someone who has been turned off by all the huge phones out there, this phone is a beauty. Getting 20/20 speeds in NYC on 4G.

As an original Dinc user, is there anything available like unrevoked in order to root? I'm trying to follow the developer forum http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1588 but its a bit more confusing with TOOL/MOD/ROM threads. I know it's still the first week since it's release, just wondering what to expect. I probably won't be savvy enough to help with the process, but I have seen some donations button around I'd be happy to contribute to.

tl;dr: I love it, how do I root?

Unfortunately there isn't an unrevoked for this phone. But the toolkit stickied in t he developers forum is extremely easy to use. Watch the video on how it's used...incredibly easy.
    Now that it's been about 6 months, are you still happy with the device? Any regrets? I've been out of contract for a couple months, and even after seeing the HTC DNA beast, I'm looking at this because it's like the perfect size phone.

Still happy with mine. I was content, but mildly frustrated with stock. However, with root (and s-off), I have been much happier being able to customize to my liking. Having TiB and nandroid backups again is such a nice safety net, too.

Sent from my Fireball using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2