[DEV][APP][LAUNCHER][ALPHA] XPMB -- A XMB-styled launcher for our Play's

Search This thread
Odp: [APP][DEV][ALPHA] XPMB -- A XMB-styled launcher for our Play's

my build.product is R800i_0000-0000. i dont wanna change it cause its for touchpads.

/==(CyberScopes)==\

Same

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app
I change ony board as zeus (on pac there was empty place) and now have only close error. Dont need to change product

Sent using tf300t - stock JellyBean (docked/nonrooted)

devi59

Aug 23, 2011
Belle Fourche
Re: [APP][DEV][ALPHA] XPMB -- A XMB-styled launcher for our Play's

A little off topic, but have you seen retroarc in the store? It has all the emulators built into one app and its free. Maybe you could get with that dev and then you wouldn't have to code for separate emulators, you could just links to that app or something. Its xperia optimized too. I haven't played much on it but it seems to work and may save coding time?

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

devi59

Aug 23, 2011
Belle Fourche
Re: [APP][DEV][ALPHA] XPMB -- A XMB-styled launcher for our Play's

Here is my info. I just get a FC. Could be because I'm on a MIUI based rom . But I don't know how that all works.
uploadfromtaptalk1359467028060.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359467047008.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359467065278.jpg

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Updated, now simply checks for the presence of /system/framework/xperiaplaycertified.jar to stop relying in build.prop
If anyone gets FC, please send me a PM with a logcat, thanks.

It should not be a ROM problem, though.
About the emulators, it will be modular so it can support many emulators in the future.
Also, I found a way to do the UI functions needed from ICS/JB in GB so compatibility for it should be coming soon.

Last edited:

devi59

Aug 23, 2011
Belle Fourche
Well Rozen, I don't know what you did (I'm a network guy, not a programmer) but it's working now on my phone. So the check change you did makes it work fine on Turbo Ui jellybean. Keep it up!

jayact~

Jan 28, 2013
Great work thus far! Out of curiosity, have you thought about enabling touch controls? I'd find it easier to use this as a permanent launcher if I could keep my phone closed when I don't plan on gaming.

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Yeah, At first it had some touch behavior when in portrait mode, but I focused in getting landscape working and locked the orientation to it because it's the main part of the app.
I plan to make a grid layout for app submenu too. Let me take note of all these suggestions before I forget them :p

This week I was on code hiatus because of my last week @work before vacations. yay! :victory:

Thanks for your comments guys!

Jan 31, 2013
Kansas City
Thanks

This looks really exciting, will try them on a JXD S602 and Yinlips YDPG19

They are both android 4.04 so should work?

This is exactly what I was looking for for the JXD in particular as the touch screen is resistive and practically useless but is great for eumulation.

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Actually it's locked to xperia play devices, but you can download the source and remove the check.
Apart from that, it should work as long as the device runs 4.0.3 but at this moment wouldn't work if the keycodes aren't the same as the XPlay's keypad, because I haven't implemented touch functionality yet.

Gianmark

Jan 29, 2013
It's very interesting, but I can't install it with Astro File Manager.
EDIT: Aw, It doesn't work on GB.

Last edited:

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Well, I'm dropping GB support from now until further notice, there are so much UI functions to implement that would make this project excessively hard to maintain.

As for the status of the project, I'm optimizing code everywhere, so it'll take some more time before the next public dev build release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinchi

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Updated. Finally, merged submenus with main menu in one main layout, made the icons a bit larger, added NES submenu and a rather rudimentary music player that scans music inside /sdcard/Music or whathever path Environment.DIRECTORY_MUSIC says it is..
I limited the music player to list only the first 10 files it founds because it isn't optimized and with more than 10 tracks it gets very slow. I for one had 96 tracks and it practically made the framerate drop to 1 frame every 2 secs :silly:
You can seek in intervals of 1 sec pressing left or right in the gamepad while in the music player.

Next: implement themes for the menu.

RozenTensai

Apr 15, 2011
Panama
Updated... again :)
Optimized a bit the animations, some little UI improvements, now relies more on animations and layouts than in pure code, music submenus now correctly utilizes MediaStore to retrieve media in external sdcard (i.e. /sdcard/Music), so now it loads blazingly fast :good:

Don't know why, but the "current time" label of the music player dissapeared somehow, but this just remembered me that I hate RelativeLayouts, they mess up anything you put in them even when correctly set the element's relatives :p

Now when you seek trough the currently playing track it will skip in intervals of 2.5s instead of the old 1s interval.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was seeing my PSP and my XPERIA Play lying in front of me side-by-side on my desktop, looking at the UI that SONY gave them, and thought: "If my Play had it's own XMB, wouldn't it be cool?" and after some deeper tought, not one, but a stream of cool ideas came to my mind in that moment.
    After searching the entire web looking for at least a decent or good-looking replacement for the launcher my phone came with, and found nothing that filled my expectations, and after I got some free time (yeah, college and a job absorbs a big quantity of free time) then I took the challenge, embarked in this very long journey and started coding. :cool:

If you want to test it, you need at least a phone that emulates the Xperia Play's physical controls, and the files listed in post #2.

The minimal android API was set to level 10 (2.3.3).

Now, what it actually does?
    Does XMB-like things :p, animations included.

How to use it?
    Right now it's locked to landscape mode so you use the Play's controller buttons to move around.
    • UP: Select previous menu subitem
    • DOWN: Select next menu subitem
    • LEFT: Select previous menu item/close submenu
    • RIGHT: Select next menu item
    • CIRCLE: Closes the side-menu, submenu or exit the launcher
    • CROSS: Execute the selected menu subitem or submenu item
    • TRIANGLE: Show/hide side menu
    • L SHOULDER: Skip to previous track (music playlist)
    • R SHOULDER: Skip to next track (music playlist)

TIP: Use the Play's PSP and PSClassic live wallpapers to get better and close-to-original results!

The code and download are at http://code.google.com/p/xpmb.
    The wiki is at http://code.google.com/p/xpmb/w/list.

I'm eager to get your opinions people! :eek:
    Wow, seems like it was long time ago since my last post (well, really it was some weeks) but let me report what i'm working on. :)

As I thought about how to dynamically add items to the menu (actually they're sorta static, hence the need to load everything when entering submenus), I found that the way i was using to do it was not the correct (it was somewhat modular, and proved to be slooooow...), so I'm actually merging some code and extending other, so that's what's keeping me from releasing another test build. :silly:

Oh!, I'm finishing too the code that load themes, it should be, as I said some posts ago, compatible with uncompiled PS3 themes (that is, just the XML with the icons/pictures, zipped only, and uses just the icons and backgrounds for now), because I haven't the time to do some hacking and reverse engineering to the p3tcompiler and format itself.
    Here you can find what I'm talking about, or if you just wanna see how it's composed.

About the ROM's summary, it showed along some region flags in early builds, but as the layout changed, they dissapeared, they sould appear in the future in a property screen as the PSP does with music properties, for example.

About the background issue, i'm aware of it, and it's caused by the recent layout type change (from an obsolete AbsoluteLayout to a RelativeLayout, I really hate RelativeLayouts, but I'm trying to keep from using 'obsolete' code). It should be fixed soon.

About 'open app on slider up', as they said, this event occurs inside a system service, so it can be modified somewhere in the system files, but i haven't investigated it so much, 'cause I'm focused on the app itself.

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement! Specially to those who kept reading around, doing some 'housekeeping' and aswering some FAQ's :D:highfive::good:
    Here, I haven't abandoned this project, just had to take care of something more important. :)
    This screenshot shows what's going on with this:
    A tiny notifications system (used for internals mainly for now), the return of extended data for ROMs, like BG images/slideshows, cover arts and so on (I think it could be easily implemented with any item from the APPs category), extended TheGamesDB code contributed by vektor88, and some fixes that were left hanging.

I'l update soon the repo. Cheers! :D
    Rozen reporting!
    Well, there's no release today but there's one silently building in the shadows.;)

There aren't many visible changes in the outside, but a big one in the code, and you can check it by looking at the last 2 or 3 repo commits this month.
    I'm not gonna release anything until I finish writing the code that will introduce the side menu (it's almost complete, just needs testing and implementing), which will also allow to modify categories and subitems, in a rudimentary but functional copy/paste way. :)

For those who are getting FC's, it could be fixed with the next release as it is not required anymore to manually copy the default theme in the filesystem. It does it all by itself now :cool:
    Oh!, I wrote the code that makes it screen size agnostic again, I think it just need HD assets to try to get this working on every other device, and there's touch support (again!), but still doesn't work as expected (scrolls only one item a time), but works :silly:

I said this from the very beginning, but I'll say it one more time: this is a very alpha version that could (and will!) be under constant (code and visual) change, as it's no easy task to even clone an app like this (well, maybe after this struggle to get to a working backend & UI, modules would be a breeze). So please everyone, bear with me in this long journey I have begun back in february :angel::p

B.R.
    Just a little update. I got faster FPS somehow (but really appreciated!) but am still getting problems with some layouts.
    Maybe this night or tomorrow there will be a new apk to test :good:

Here, attached is a teaser :) (Note the different font in the clock because I'm using stock ROM now)

EDIT: Wow, it desn't want to do what I tell it to do, let me tame this beast first :silly: