What router are you using (with ac wireless)

Search This thread
I'm planing on changing my router for a new one that has ac wireless. Before I RMA my nexus 5 for that damn WiFi drop issue I thought it was time to try a New router but I would like to know who has a router with ac wireless and if you have any WiFi drop. So very easy.

Router manufacturer make and model.....
WiFi drop yes/no

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

prstorero

Sep 12, 2011
Dallas
I use a Asus RT-AC66R and love it. Never had an issue with any device. No drops either.

prshosting.org

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I'm planing on changing my router for a new one that has ac wireless. Before I RMA my nexus 5 for that damn WiFi drop issue I thought it was time to try a New router but I would like to know who has a router with ac wireless and if you have any WiFi drop. So very easy.

Router manufacturer make and model.....
WiFi drop yes/no

Thanks

Mine is no AC wireless but its certainly better than those Asus AC High performance routers
what I like is a balance between Coverage and performance a company called Amped Wireless In the USAMakes these types of routers not some cheap china/korean stuff

What I have is this http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/r20000g.html

It's got dual signal amplifiers each antenna port is outputting 600Mw of power that's face melting wifi right there. Most routers don't even output 100Mw. Routers with internal antennas put out only like 50Mw and have no signal noise filters.

So overall my router is a bit overkill but somehow my Nexus 5 manages to drop the connection lol... my other devices don't exhibit such behavior though.

I'm guessing this is software and I'll wait till Android 4.5 comes I have a year anyway from LG to RMA

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
Cheap Netgear... About $100
Screenshot is in my backyard about 60 to 70 feet away. I have no WiFi signal drop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1393897894787.jpg
    1393897894787.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 157

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
Thanks all and keep it coming

Did you check what channel your routers using or if there's a conflict with a nearby router on the same channel. My wife's Macbook pro couldn't hold a WiFi signal from 6 feet away yet every other device in our house had no problems. What I did was took the router off auto and set it to use a specific channel that no other routers within a couple hundred feet where using. Now the MBP has been rock solid since. Turns out me and two neibors were all on channel 6. All my Asus Transformers where real sensitive to signal also.

Reactions: markdapimp

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Did you check what channel your routers using or if there's a conflict with a nearby router on the same channel. My wife's Macbook pro couldn't hold a WiFi signal from 6 feet away yet every other device in our house had no problems. What I did was took the router off auto and set it to use a specific channel that no other routers within a couple hundred feet where using. Now the MBP has been rock solid since. Turns out me and two neibors were all on channel 6. All my Asus Transformers where real sensitive to signal also.

Hey you might have just fixed my Nexus 5 wifi dropping issue 3 of my Neighbors are using channel 6 also. Whats up with Auto on routers defaulting to channel 6. Anyways it seems good now :)! :good:

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
Hey you might have just fixed my Nexus 5 wifi dropping issue 3 of my Neighbors are using channel 6 also. Whats up with Auto on routers defaulting to channel 6. Anyways it seems good now :)! :good:

I should be able to tune that super router to send out solid long range 5G

Last edited:

I am the only one on my channel and have tried everything hence why I'm at this point.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Does anyone have the new 5ghz wifi routers? How well does it do with the Nexus 5? Does our phone even support 5ghz?

It certainly does. You can force it to 2.4 or 5Ghz.

I had to force 2.4Ghz on the phone with my old Wireless G router or speeds were compromised.

Reactions: FuMMoD

coolguy949

Nov 4, 2008
Orange County, CA
Anyone having trouble seeing some AC channels? I had a launch day N5 that had no problem connecting to ch 153 on my Netgear Nighthawk running DD-WRT. I sold that N5 months ago and now have bought another N5. This one won't "see" my AC network unless it's set to a channel under 48. Even wifi analyzer shows that I have a limited 5 GHz channel range. My S4 connects just fine. Do your N5's see higher 5 GHz channels?

See the photo below. I only see my neighbor's wifi 5G network and the graph stops at 44.

EDIT: Fixed it. It seems changing my extension channel has fixed the issue. I now see the network. N5 seems to not support all AC channels listed in my DD-WRT channel settings.

e6yhynyh.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks all and keep it coming

Does anyone have the new 5ghz wifi routers? How well does it do with the Nexus 5? Does our phone even support 5ghz?

I had to force 2.4Ghz on the phone with my old Wireless G router or speeds were compromised.

You're right, I just noticed it now.

unugara8.jpg