Wireless charging probkems

Search This thread

jas1784

Jan 3, 2013
Hey guys just wanted to share some of my frustrations. First off I love this phone and HTC products but I have the worst luck. I've had the DNA since release day as well as the nokia wireless charger. My first phone stopped charging via the wireless charger 3 weeks in. I tried switching power outlets and a master reset and the phone would still not charge from the pad. Took it in to a Verizon store and tested it on a known good wireless charger and would not charge so they sent me a replacement. That phone worked fine till a few days ago when it stopped charging from the wireless charger. I contacted Verizon and they sent me a replacement wireless charger and I tried it out today and it still won't charge. They are sending me out a replacement phone which is nice. I called HTC about my problem and told them everything that had happened and the woman told me that they don't support wireless charging, that it was third party, and as long as it charged from the wall there was nothing that could be done. Are any of you guys having problems like me?
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Ajj915

Jun 18, 2010
Tampa
Hey guys just wanted to share some of my frustrations. First off I love this phone and HTC products but I have the worst luck. I've had the DNA since release day as well as the nokia wireless charger. My first phone stopped charging via the wireless charger 3 weeks in. I tried switching power outlets and a master reset and the phone would still not charge from the pad. Took it in to a Verizon store and tested it on a known good wireless charger and would not charge so they sent me a replacement. That phone worked fine till a few days ago when it stopped charging from the wireless charger. I contacted Verizon and they sent me a replacement wireless charger and I tried it out today and it still won't charge. They are sending me out a replacement phone which is nice. I called HTC about my problem and told them everything that had happened and the woman told me that they don't support wireless charging, that it was third party, and as long as it charged from the wall there was nothing that could be done. Are any of you guys having problems like me?

I too am having intermittent problems. I assumed it was the nokia fatboy

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
Sounds to me like the girl from HTC doesn't know what she's talking about how could they not support wireless charging when its built into the phone? That makes no sense.

SwordOfWar

Apr 6, 2010
Been using the DNA about 2 months using the LG wireless charger provided at Verizon stores with no problems at all so far and I only used the wall charger 3-4 times.

Could be an issue with the nokia charger causing the issue? I guess if that is the case we should see more complaining eventually.

tuxly

Dec 16, 2012
I have had one replacement phone so far because wireless charging quit working. I too have been using the nokia 900. First phone quit charging wirelessly after 3 wks from release day. Had second phone since, still using same wireless charger and no more problems so far. Hope it stays that way!

D

Deleted member 2027727

I'm having a similar issue. I have the Nokia Fatboy pillow and used the charging with no problem for a few weeks. After that the phone recognizes the charger once I put it down but some random amount of time after that, it says it was disconnected and just stops charging until I pick it up and put it back on again. Very frustrating but noticed that it started right after I rooted my phone but not sure how that could be related.

rabnud

Oct 28, 2008
I have had one replacement phone so far because wireless charging quit working. I too have been using the nokia 900. First phone quit charging wirelessly after 3 wks from release day. Had second phone since, still using same wireless charger and no more problems so far. Hope it stays that way!

This makes me feel better. I just bought the nokia dt-900 and my DNA was cycling between charging/disconnected. Went to VZW, tested my cell on another Qi charger and they are sending me a new DNA. Hope this does the trick.

led2112

Apr 15, 2010

I'd like to share my experience with wireless charging. I've had the DNA since mid December and bought my Fatboy at the end of December. This worked rock solid for 3 months or so, always charging to 100%. Then a couple of weeks ago, I started having problems. I would put my phone on the Fatboy and it would start charging, and then quit after a few minutes. This went on for a week and a half or so. Well, the day came when I was going to return my phone and Fatboy to a Verizon store. So right before I was about to leave, I decided to throw the phone on the charger and what do you know. It charged perfectly to 100%. The only thing, that I can think of, that changed was that I did an update to GSAM Battery monitor right before that. So now, for the past week and a half, my phone is charging great again. No issues. So if anyone is having issues and they have GSAM installed, maybe you should update it or uninstall it. I'm not sure if this is the issue but it's worth a try.

On another note. I think one of the best features of this phone is the built in wireless charging. I don't see this mentioned often when people compare the DNA to the HTC One. I like to use my phone without a case, because it looks so good, and the built in wireless charging is a feature I really like. It will always be one of the first things I look for when buying a new phone.

Last edited:

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
I agree with you on the wireless charging being a great feature. I have the Nexus Orb on my desk, and I bring it home with me and put it on my night table. It's perfect. Charges fast, no wires, my USB cover won't snap off, I can just grab it and run off to a meeting...

I wish all phones had Qi charging abilities more than NFC.

turtledrum13

May 27, 2013
Cincinnati
Had to get mine replaced under warranty after 6 months of use. My old thunderbolt still charges on the original LG WCP-7000 pad, but the DNA didn't last.

cojoda

Feb 2, 2013
I've only ever had one possible problem with my Nokia wireless charger. I say possible problem because I'm not sure if it was actually a charger issue or my own stupidity. A few days ago, an hour after i had taken my phone of the charger, i looked at my phone and noticed it was almost dead. For some reason the phone hadn't been charged over night. I could swear it was on the charger, but i can't day for sure. So it could have been my fault.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA running CyanogenMod 10.1

wapeye

Jun 12, 2013
New Delhi
New Kid on the Block :)

I've only ever had one possible problem with my Nokia wireless charger. I say possible problem because I'm not sure if it was actually a charger issue or my own stupidity. A few days ago, an hour after i had taken my phone of the charger, i looked at my phone and noticed it was almost dead. For some reason the phone hadn't been charged over night. I could swear it was on the charger, but i can't day for sure. So it could have been my fault.

Mine had slipping problems after cleaning, applying significant pressure, etc until I replaced it. The replacement unit has been much better, with no real problems. Some Orbs are definitely better than others when it comes to adherence, and if you're having an issue get it replaced.

Here's my story:
I got the Nokia DT-900 few months back (Google's orb is not available in India) and had a tough time with my Nexus4, read so many forums on xda, androidcentral and elsewhere to find the right solution. Later realized that Nexus4 isn't fully Qi compatible. Still, from the forums I knew everyfrickinbody has some issue or the other, whether with the Nexus4 or any other Qi phone (like the Nokia Lumia 920, HTC droid, etc.).

Now my old guy, with a couple of other old ones have this high freq inductor/transformer making workshop and I told them I want us to make a wireless charger, and do it right! They said we ain't got the money - ha! I said I don't need no money, I just need ur tech and tools..ur brains and grains! With a grin, it was okay'd And 2 months in, we've got the Qi compatible electronics ready and tested!! Now we just gotta design a good form. We even have a name - Qitah (say cheetah)...hehe, yeah.
Here's are the pain points we've addressed uptil now:
a) Phone Alignment - it's a 3coil configuration that allows free positioning. After all, what's the point of a wireless charger if you still gotta put in effort for the phone to charge
b) Remembering to charge - we realized while brainstorming that the major pain point is not of plugging in a wire with your wall charger..in fact it's remembering to charge your phone daily. Even if I forget to charge once a week, it's kinda disastrous. We are really working hard and smart to tackle this
c) Looks - Apart from the orb, all the other solutions (mostly pads) are uhhgly!! And the orb is so painful with 'sticky' issues. Hey, if the Qitah is to sit on your office/home desk, it better look so frockin awesome yet unintrusive that you feel great about it!
d) Travel/Incline - it's pretty sad that we either have pads or inclines in the market. We are hell bent on coming up with a travel friendly design to get rid of this simple pain point.

Here's where I need all your help..tell us your pain points! tweet "@projecQitah", post on facebook - "projectQitah" and let us know what you want it to be like. I'll be following up on all suggestions/criticisms.
Cheers!

Reactions: pio_masaki

Imacellist

Oct 20, 2011
Modesto, CA
Ok so I am noticing a pattern here and that is Nokia chargers. I have been using an energizer charger for months without problems, although I have had my DNA switched out twice for other issues. I just bought 2 nokia wireless pads since AT&T was selling them crazy cheap, and yesterday was the first full day of use. At the end of the day I went to put my phone on my energizer wireless charger and the blue light (on the charger) turned on, then turned back off. I grabbed my nokia charger and the same thing happened.I have left it off wireless charger all night (plugged in usb) and it seems to be working now. If I have problems again tonight I may be blaming the Nokia charger. Has anyone else had wireless charging fail with a charger made by other than Nokia?

anthfett

Dec 24, 2009
I've had the phone for most three months and have had no troubles with the energizer qi charger I've had for over a year. Use it every night to charge the DNA and Nexus 7.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

slvrdrgn123

Sep 15, 2009
Ok so I am noticing a pattern here and that is Nokia chargers. I have been using an energizer charger for months without problems, although I have had my DNA switched out twice for other issues. I just bought 2 nokia wireless pads since AT&T was selling them crazy cheap, and yesterday was the first full day of use. At the end of the day I went to put my phone on my energizer wireless charger and the blue light (on the charger) turned on, then turned back off. I grabbed my nokia charger and the same thing happened.I have left it off wireless charger all night (plugged in usb) and it seems to be working now. If I have problems again tonight I may be blaming the Nokia charger. Has anyone else had wireless charging fail with a charger made by other than Nokia?
I've used mine with the 2 Nokia chargers for about 10 months and it has never failed to charge even once. Hoping it stays that way.

jkbarryatl

Aug 29, 2012
I have the same wireless charging issues with my Nokia wireless chargers. I have 2 of them, one works better than the other but on both eventually it stops charging as if I removed it from the plate. I'm 90% sure its a heat issue with the back cover and the back cover warps a little bit. If I put something on the phone (usually another phone) while its on the charging plate to weight it down a little and then it always charges perfectly.

Not an elegant solution by any means but it works. I just ordered a new Rav powered QI charger so I'll let you all know if I see better results (without the paperweight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Kid on the Block :)

Mine had slipping problems after cleaning, applying significant pressure, etc until I replaced it. The replacement unit has been much better, with no real problems. Some Orbs are definitely better than others when it comes to adherence, and if you're having an issue get it replaced.

Here's my story:
    I got the Nokia DT-900 few months back (Google's orb is not available in India) and had a tough time with my Nexus4, read so many forums on xda, androidcentral and elsewhere to find the right solution. Later realized that Nexus4 isn't fully Qi compatible. Still, from the forums I knew everyfrickinbody has some issue or the other, whether with the Nexus4 or any other Qi phone (like the Nokia Lumia 920, HTC droid, etc.).

Now my old guy, with a couple of other old ones have this high freq inductor/transformer making workshop and I told them I want us to make a wireless charger, and do it right! They said we ain't got the money - ha! I said I don't need no money, I just need ur tech and tools..ur brains and grains! With a grin, it was okay'd And 2 months in, we've got the Qi compatible electronics ready and tested!! Now we just gotta design a good form. We even have a name - Qitah (say cheetah)...hehe, yeah.
    Here's are the pain points we've addressed uptil now:
    a) Phone Alignment - it's a 3coil configuration that allows free positioning. After all, what's the point of a wireless charger if you still gotta put in effort for the phone to charge
    b) Remembering to charge - we realized while brainstorming that the major pain point is not of plugging in a wire with your wall charger..in fact it's remembering to charge your phone daily. Even if I forget to charge once a week, it's kinda disastrous. We are really working hard and smart to tackle this
    c) Looks - Apart from the orb, all the other solutions (mostly pads) are uhhgly!! And the orb is so painful with 'sticky' issues. Hey, if the Qitah is to sit on your office/home desk, it better look so frockin awesome yet unintrusive that you feel great about it!
    d) Travel/Incline - it's pretty sad that we either have pads or inclines in the market. We are hell bent on coming up with a travel friendly design to get rid of this simple pain point.

Here's where I need all your help..tell us your pain points! tweet "@projecQitah", post on facebook - "projectQitah" and let us know what you want it to be like. I'll be following up on all suggestions/criticisms.
    Cheers!
    What kind of wireless charger do yall recommend I'm thinking about investing into one.

Sent from my DLX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've had great luck with the Nokia 900. AT&T has had it on sale for $25 for about a month now:
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/chargers/sku6290260.html#fbid=YbSQonZHfrD