[Q] Recover Internal Storage (wiped)

Search This thread

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey everyone.
I'm one of the lucky few that had internal sd wiped during the process of upgrading from NB4 to NE6.
Yes, totally my fault, as I should have backed up my internal. But I didn't.
To compound it, my nandroid backed up to internal rather than external sd (DOHHH).

Needless to say, I haven't written over the wiped internal, and I know there's a way to recover the deleted files (and nandroid)-- I just haven't done it on the Note 3 yet.

There are multiple guides out there on recovering internal storage by using cygwin, creating a raw image of the internal, mounting it as a drive, and using software like recuva. This is the guide I'm loosely following, however, our data block is in a different location. I believe 25, from what I can tell. This is the guide I'm using right now.

My Desperate Questions
  • Has anyone been able to recover their wiped internal storage on the Note 3, specifically?
  • Is our data partition at dev/block/mmcblk0p25 ?
  • Does anyone recommend any other methods of doing this?

Any help totally appreciated.

Where I am now:
I've been running Recuva for the past 4 hours which apparently doesn't recognize a drive connected through MTP. I tried something tricky and it appears to be running. But, given the status it reports (pretty much nothing), it could just be scanning my computer.

Concurrently, I'm trying the guide I linked up there. I have root, and busybox installed (to system/bin), but adb keeps disconnecting when I get to the "adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555" step, and device keeps going offline.

Last edited:

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
You can't access the media through MTP. MTP is sort of like FTP -- files are transferred from one system to another and presented by the receiver as if they were local. You could work with the media if you install a modified kernel and used UMS.

The first thing you should do is copy the media image to a removable SD card so you can use a desktop computer, and also to make a backup. With the image on a micro-SD card you could then continue to use your phone while you recover the data. I'm new to Linux but I think 'dd' from a device will copy everything, not just listed files. Put a 32GB micro SD in the slot and try this and see what it looks like:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk... of=/dev/block/mmcblk1

Note that I did not include the full path to the internal SD -- I don't happen to have that handy while I'm in this reply editor on my device.

Frank

ADDED:

Partition 25:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/dev/block/mmcblk1

Frank

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Don't forward anything in ADB, just go straight to the file system:

adb shell

Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: decalex

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
ADDED:
Partition 25:
Frank
---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------
adb shell

Thanks so much for your response. With a little digging (a lot of digging) I confirmed it was partition 25, but found no reference to it in my device.
I grabbed an app called DiskDigger where the data partition is identified under:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata

I'm using cygwin right now to copy that partition to a userdata.raw file (on my computer) which I can hopefully mount using VHD, and then use Recuva to salvage the data. I'll find out in a couple hours if that worked. And if not, I'll definitely go grab a bigger SD card and follow your recommendation.

Question. Once copying the full partition to the SD card, what would you use to extract the data and restore it to the internal SD?

Last edited:

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
I have not lost anything important enough to go to the trouble of disk-digging, so I have no experience with it.

Frank

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

I just took a quick look at the guide you referred to and using that procedure you will need to forward a port to ADB. I don't know why that procedure, maybe it's necessary for cgwyn.

Also in that thread is a comment that the procedure won't work on devices which can't use UMS. The Note 3 can't use UMS unless you've installed one of the kernels which enable it.

Frank

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can't access the media through MTP. MTP is sort of like FTP -- files are transferred from one system to another and presented by the receiver as if they were local. You could work with the media if you install a modified kernel and used UMS.

The first thing you should do is copy the media image to a removable SD card so you can use a desktop computer, and also to make a backup. With the image on a micro-SD card you could then continue to use your phone while you recover the data. I'm new to Linux but I think 'dd' from a device will copy everything, not just listed files. Put a 32GB micro SD in the slot and try this and see what it looks like:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk... of=/dev/block/mmcblk1

Note that I did not include the full path to the internal SD -- I don't happen to have that handy while I'm in this reply editor on my device.

Frank

ADDED:

Partition 25:

Frank

adb shell

Frank