[ISSUE][SOLVED] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

Search This thread

furius

Sep 6, 2009
This issue probably requires Developer actions to be solved … anyway I’m posting on General section cause it’s not a properly developer thread …

Since Android 4.1.2 there’s a problem in tethering for all people that has a carrier plan that doesn’t include Tethering. I’m on Vodafone Italy with “mobile internet” plan (2GB/month). I have never had problem with tethering my data connection from my phone to a laptop or tablet but starting from Android 4.1.2 upgrade I noticed that when I activate built in wifi hotspot the APN is automatically and secretly changed from the default one (mobile.vodafone.it) to a new one (web.omnitel.it) that charges my bill with additional costs … It happened to me in the past using branded phone with branded firmware, but after rooting and switching to CyanogeMod firmware the problem was solved … now I’m on an unlocked Galaxy Nexus with CM or others custom ROM …

On 4.1.2 I bypassed this problem using dedicated app “Wifi Tether for Root”, but now on 4.2.1 also this app doesn’t work anymore (ok this is another issue, here you can find more details).

Well … rather bad … I did a lot of research on the web, and here is the most interesting thing I found:

A person working for Roger carrier stated this (see original thread and full post here ):
Android 4.1.2 introduced that ability (and requirement) for Android devices to properly flag when data is for tethering purposes. This is the first time this has been used in a vanilla release of Android.
For everyone frustrated by this update to Android: Android respecting a carrier's request to know if data is for a tethered device IS NOT A BUG. IT IS A FEATURE. It's not a feature for users like you and me, it's a feature for manufacturers like Samsung and HTC, so they can in turn build devices that carriers can have more control over.

So, to be clear, THIS IS NOT A BUG. Google INTENDED to respect carrier tethering rules.

So, can someone confirm this behavior? Is there some Developer that can intercept the section of Android OS code that apply this flag to the data download and find the way to avoid this annoying issue??
I want to tether again without pay additional money! I’m paying for 2GB/month! What do you care, Vodafone, how I use it??

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLVED!
After some time someone found a solution, at least for all users with ROOT:
Here is the solution script
Here is a method to setup the script on boot

Last edited:

akira02rex

Nov 7, 2010
I don't know, AT&T doesn't do this for me.

Can you manually change the APN when the hotspot is turned on?

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010
Re: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

I have Verizon and I don't have a tethering plan. I'm on 4.2.1 and I've been able to use the built in tether.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

furius

Sep 6, 2009
R: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

I don't know, AT&T doesn't do this for me.

Can you manually change the APN when the hotspot is turned on?

I can't edit the APN cause I can't see it! After few minutes I'm tethering I get an SMS from Vodafone that says: we remember you that your plan doesn't include data connection using APN web.omnitel.it ... And then if I check my bill detail I can verify a row reporting connection with this APN and additional amount and connection time
:banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

masterkamon842

Jul 3, 2011
New York
Install Chrome or Firefox on your PC, download the User Agent Switcher add-on for it. and change your user agent to googlebot or ipad. That's what I do to bypass Tmobile.

furius

Sep 6, 2009

Install Chrome or Firefox on your PC, download the User Agent Switcher add-on for it. and change your user agent to googlebot or ipad. That's what I do to bypass Tmobile.

I really don't think it's a user agent issue, I get same problem also connecting an Android tablet independently from the browser ...

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk HD

Lockett

Apr 24, 2011
Hanover, PA
I'm on Verizon and running 4.2.1. I tried to tether to a tablet the other day using Open Garden, WiFi Tether for Root, and Barnacle and I kept getting errors on each app and then they'd FC.

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011

I tether my N7 to my g'nex regularly and have no problems from T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

furius

Sep 6, 2009

I'm on Verizon and running 4.2.1. I tried to tether to a tablet the other day using Open Garden, WiFi Tether for Root, and Barnacle and I kept getting errors on each app and then they'd FC.

Have you tried also the built in tether?

About "Wifi Tether for Root" on Android 4.2 according to some post on the discussion I lnked in the OP:
The application will attempt to mount the file system /system write (rw) to copy the binary file but with Android 4.2 does not work anymore the command "mount -o remount, rw / system"

I don't know if this information can help some developer here to suggest a solution to "Wifi Tether for Root" developers ...

bpyazel

Apr 8, 2010

I thought the FCC already ruled that Verizon cannot charge extra for tethering (unless you go over your data limit of course).

mrstarzan

Dec 7, 2009
Washington State

I have Verizon and I don't have a tethering plan. I'm on 4.2.1 and I've been able to use the built in tether.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Can you tell me how you are doing this please? Is root required on your Gnex? The fact that you are on 4.2.1 may answer that question. My non-rooted gnex is only on 4.1.1 and doesn't seem to have an update available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

kisrita

This issue probably requires Developer actions to be solved … anyway I’m posting on General section cause it’s not a properly developer thread …

Since Android 4.1.2 there’s a problem in tethering for all people that has a carrier plan that doesn’t include Tethering.

I don't pay for tethering on my T-mobile US plan but tethering never stopped working since 4.0 versions all the way now to 4.2.1 takju.
I have a pre-pay plan, so the carrier is not able to charge me anything extra, all they could do is shut off my data plan or tethering, which they never did.

Edit: I'm not rooted in version 4.2.1. I was rooted in some of the previous versions, but can't remember which ones.

Last edited:
W

WiredPirate

Does the built in tether report to Verizon? I'm not trying to get hit with any more fees than they already charge.

No.

I thought the FCC already ruled that Verizon cannot charge extra for tethering (unless you go over your data limit of course)

^^This guy pays attention. Gold Star.

Can you tell me how you are doing this please? Is root required on your Gnex? The fact that you are on 4.2.1 may answer that question. My non-rooted gnex is only on 4.1.1 and doesn't seem to have an update available.

CM

SergioA

May 12, 2010
So, can someone confirm this behavior? Is there some Developer that can intercept the section of Android OS code that apply this flag to the data download and find the way to avoid this annoying issue??
I want to tether again without pay additional money! I’m paying for 2GB/month! What do you care, Vodafone, how I use it??
Thanks in advance!

Ciao Furius!
I think I'm in the same situation as you with Vodafone Italy :silly:

I'm running CyanogenMod 10.1 (so Android 4.1.2) with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and can't get the wi-fi thetering work: all seems ok, other devices can see and connect to the hot-spot, but can't get any data from it...

I thought it was some problems with the nightly builds of CM, but other people are reporting that wi-fi tethering is correctly working.

Now I read your message while searching some information about the Galaxy Nexus (my Galaxy S2 developed a faulty loudspeaker, and I'm considering to get it repaired under warranty then sell it and buy a Galaxy Nexus, I've found it at 269€) and maybe we have the same problem, but I've got Vodafone to lock the web.omnitel.it APN, to prevent costly surprises...

I think problems arise with operators that make distinctions between different kinds of APN (like Vodafone Italy with web.omnitel.it and mobile.vodafone.it) and not with the ones that don't care about the APN you use (to my knowledge, TIM Italy doesn't care about the APN you use)

I'll keep an eye on this topic and let you know if I find some news!

Reactions: furius

Mrc527

Mar 28, 2011
Milan
www.kernel-xp.net
Ciao Furius!

I'm running CyanogenMod 10.1 (so Android 4.1.2) with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and can't get the wi-fi thetering work: all seems ok, other devices can see and connect to the hot-spot, but can't get any data from it...

I thought it was some problems with the nightly builds of CM, but other people are reporting that wi-fi tethering is correctly working.

Now I read your message while searching some information about the Galaxy Nexus (my Galaxy S2 developed a faulty loudspeaker, and I'm considering to get it repaired under warranty then sell it and buy a Galaxy Nexus, I've found it at 269€) and maybe we have the same problem, but I've got Vodafone to lock the web.omnitel.it APN, to prevent costly surprises...

I think problems arise with operators that make distinctions between different kinds of APN (like Vodafone Italy with web.omnitel.it and mobile.vodafone.it) and not with the ones that don't care about the APN you use (to my knowledge, TIM Italy doesn't care about the APN you use)

With Vodafone Italy, even if you force the "mobile.vodafone.it" APN, the one for the mobile phone navigation, you will be charged for tethering, using the 4.2.1 native tethering.

See this post for more detail.

BTW, we have to find where google added the "flagging" feature, in the native tethering application.

Do someone have any idea where to find it?

Reactions: furius and SergioA

furius

Sep 6, 2009

OK ...
It seems that we ( Italian Vodafone users) are the only "sfigati" affected by this issue! Really sad ...

Reactions: totalnoob34

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Since Android 4.1.2 there’s a problem in tethering for all people that has a carrier plan that doesn’t include Tethering. I’m on Vodafone Italy with “mobile internet” plan (2GB/month). I have never had problem with tethering my data connection from my phone to a laptop or tablet but starting from Android 4.1.2 upgrade I noticed that when I activate built in wifi hotspot the APN is automatically and secretly changed from the default one (mobile.vodafone.it) to a new one (web.omnitel.it) that charges my bill with additional costs … It happened to me in the past using branded phone with branded firmware, but after rooting and switching to CyanogeMod firmware the problem was solved … now I’m on an unlocked Galaxy Nexus with CM or others custom ROM …

On 4.1.2 I bypassed this problem using dedicated app “Wifi Tether for Root”, but now on 4.2.1 also this app doesn’t work anymore (ok this is another issue, here you can find more details).

Well … rather bad … I did a lot of research on the web, and here is the most interesting thing I found:

A person working for Roger carrier stated this (see original thread and full post here ):
    Android 4.1.2 introduced that ability (and requirement) for Android devices to properly flag when data is for tethering purposes. This is the first time this has been used in a vanilla release of Android.
    For everyone frustrated by this update to Android: Android respecting a carrier's request to know if data is for a tethered device IS NOT A BUG. IT IS A FEATURE. It's not a feature for users like you and me, it's a feature for manufacturers like Samsung and HTC, so they can in turn build devices that carriers can have more control over.

So, to be clear, THIS IS NOT A BUG. Google INTENDED to respect carrier tethering rules.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLVED!
    After some time someone found a solution, at least for all users with ROOT:
    Here is the solution script
    Here is a method to setup the script on boot

So did anybody ever make a script?
    What us everybody doing for tethering?

I'm using "Script Manager - SManager" app:
    - Create a txt file with any text editor (I used Jota, my favorite txt editor), enter the correct script and save the file on your sdcard.
    - Then open SManager, long tap on your script file and select "open as" --> "script/executable".
    - Now add "Su" and "Boot" options, save and you are ok. Your script will run with SU permission at every reboot.

Enjoy your tethering!

Excellent news for those getting this issue!

Type this command from terminal emulator (root required):

su -c "iptables -tnat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/16 -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE"

Found solution here:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38563

Worked for me on Xylon ROM
    ;)

Ciao Furius!

With Vodafone Italy, even if you force the "mobile.vodafone.it" APN, the one for the mobile phone navigation, you will be charged for tethering, using the 4.2.1 native tethering.

See this post for more detail.

BTW, we have to find where google added the "flagging" feature, in the native tethering application.

Do someone have any idea where to find it?
    Please read forum rules before posting
    Questions go in Q&A
    Thread moved
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator