[APP][4.4+] OmniSwitch: Recent apps switcher for all KitKat ROMs

Search This thread

x111

Jul 3, 2009
Will be awesome to get vertical mode for OmniSwitch like Slim Recent.

Is it possible to get shell command of OmniSwitch button "Kill all apps" for Tasker ?

Also, is it possible to join "OmniSwitch" with "Slim Recent" ?
If so, I would like to donate on this project.

Last edited:

Venlor

Mar 12, 2014
Stellenbosch
Will be awesome to get vertical mode for OmniSwitch like Slim Recent.

Is it possible to get shell command of OmniSwitch button "Kill all apps" for Tasker ?

Also, is it possible to join "OmniSwitch" with "Slim Recent" ?
If so, I would like to donate on this project.

I don't about the shell command, you can try going through the source on github, if you find the code for kill all apps you should be able to make a script for tasker.

I don't think it will be easy to combine the two, but if you get slim recents, you can use LMT to create a swipe area that trigger slim recents.

BonesDropDef

Apr 30, 2014
Pecos
YEH BOIII!!

It gives an error although I set the permission right. Failed to gain system permissions
JUST SO YOU KNOW IM NOT A DEVELOPER AND I AM A NOOB, I've had my first tablet (Note 8) for 6 months and I barely started dipping my nose into Android OS for like a week, so i successfully was able to flash and root and install custom roms, sideload and install GApps.

it kept on giving me the same Failed to gain system permissions deal as you when i had initially installed it, after trying and retrying over and over again, I even downloaded OmniSnitch which is similar to the omni switch apk, but this one had a horrible bug that would end the process as soon as you tried closing an app which made it almost obsolete.
So after messing around for a while with it i got it to work, this is how i did so it might work for you:

(GIVING THAT YOU HAVE ALL THE ROOTING UPDATES, AND APKS INSTALLED CORRECTLY)
(I USED MSKIPS ANDROID TOOLKIT PRO TO SIDELOAD, FLASH, AND INSTALL APKS) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2251033 :good::good:

1. In the (APP) ES File Explorer tapped on left top where it opens the side menu, i unfolded the Tool Tab at the very bottom of the list, touched the ROOT EXPLORER option, a context menu should pop up. Make sure you have clicked the ONE KEY INSTALL and that is ON and that you push mount R/W and you set both options to Read/Write.

2. Back to the Local Tab on the Side Menu, go to / Device, then on the right pane you would see a list of folders included under this item, your gonna look for System folder, then priv-app, find OMNISWITCH.apk, tap on it, make sure you install the update.

3. Go back to the Home Screen in your device, go to your Settings APP, go down to the SECURITY tab and under DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS make sure the uknown sources box is checked

4. Go to your OMNISWITCH APP and make sure you turn it ON, START ON BOOT, AND THE DRAG HANDLE IS ENABLED, AUTO-HIDE CHECKED OFF.

5. REBOOT

6. THE TRIANGLE WITH THE ERROR MESSAGE SHOULD BE GONE.

JUST AS A SIDE NOTE: EVERY TIME I TRIED FLASHING THE OMNIROM.ZIP IT WOULD GO THROUGH FINE BUT IT WOULD END WITH A MESSAGE STATING THE BINARY REQUIRED AN UPDATE, BUT I HAD EVERYTHING UPDATED.

BY THE WAY I HAVE BEEN UPDATING THE ROM USING CYANDELTA

FOR SOME REASON OMNISWITCH DOESNT APPEAR UNDER THE SUPERSU APPS TAB

WHEN YOU INSTALL THIS ROM IT KICKS YOU OUT OF ROOT SO YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ROOT ACCES AGAIN AND THAT YOU HAVE THE MOST COMPATIBLE COMBINATIONS OF ROOT APPS

I DID FROM A GTN5110 (NOTE 8 WIFI ONLY) COMING FROM A STOCK ROM, FLASHED WITH CWM PHILZ TOUCH USING THE ANDROID TOOLKIT FOM MSSKIP PRO, AND OF COURSE BUSY BOX PRO AND CHAINFIRE'S SuperSU (I DONATED TO ALL THE DUDES THAT MADE THIS BAD ASS THINGS BECAUSE I APPRECIATE THE GOOD WORK)

ultimahwhat

Feb 28, 2011
OmniSwitch as default recent apps

In the OmniSwitch February announcement on the OmniROM blog, the following was written:

Any idea when this is coming? I like how OmniSwitch works, but I do not like the side-sweep activation; it would be awesome if we could use the standard recent apps button to view OmniSwitch

The PAC ROM I was using (where I extracted the omniswitch apk found) had an option in its rom settings to use omniswitch as the default launcher. I don't know the open-sourceness of that rom, but it may be possible to pull some code from there...

hugozo

Dec 20, 2010
hi

on nexus 4 running slimrom 5.2, both methods (apk & zip) for v1.1 result to
"omniswitch restricted mode"
Failed to gain system permission

no issue in 1.0

what am i doing wrong ?

Cyphir

Jan 22, 2012
There seems to be a problem with the files, will upload new ones when I find the problem.

I had permission problems with version 1.0 and couldn't even get it running. Have permission issues with 1.1 as well, but it is now running. Operates just like Omnisnitch but no force close when I try to close apps, just doesn't close any apps or remove them from the recent menu.

Reactions: harland3

hugozo

Dec 20, 2010
There seems to be a problem with the files, will upload new ones when I find the problem.

hi

Zip works fine now
Haven't try the apk

Not sure, but it seems to me that the previous 1.1 version was better translated (to french) than this one
But i'm really really not sure

jewnersey

Jul 25, 2010
Thanks but still failing gain system permissions for me. Maybe because I'm on 4.4 TouchWiz? Would love to get this working though. Let me know if there is anything I should try.

Only thing that pops up on log
05-27 08:37:53.655 V/ApplicationPolicy(3691): isApplicationStateBlocked userId 0 pkgname org.omnirom.omniswitch

Last edited:

117micc

Same as above, 4.4.2 Touchwiz, both the apk and zip file end up with omniswitch running in restricted mode.

Perhaps it needs a specific system permission or service to get going? While messing around with the system task manager I saw it needed a special permission when installing.

It was called:
com.sec.android.app.controlpanel.permission.PRIVATE

This may or may not be helpful but I hope it pushes us in the right direction.

yeah for some reason it kept saying that to be too.and then it just stopped working

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SunSetX

May 27, 2014
Well, the "apk permission way" didnt worked for me too but after flashing the zip, everthing wents good.
Nice App tried it first on psx rom but this rom is discontinued afaik.

Now im waiting for the soft key mode too.

Last edited:

mustard007

Nov 26, 2009
Same here !
Samsung Touchwiz 4.4.2.. 1.1 zip working great but work in restricted mode.

Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmniSwitch is a recent apps switcher created for OmniROM by maxwen, you can read more about it here. Even though the app was developed for OmniROM, it works on all KitKat ROMs. Users of non-KitKat ROMs can take a look at OmniSnitch.

The attached .zip file is to be used with custom recovery and flashes OmniSwitch.apk (extracted from OmniROM) to /system/priv-app, the app needs to be in this location for the kill apps function to work. You can also copy the attached apk to system/priv-app, you will also need to set the permissions to rw-r--r--, do not install it. If you're interested in the source code, you can find it here.

This thread was created with maxwen's permission.

Edit: I have changed both files, from what I saw with the tests I did, both methods work now. Thanks to ultimahwhat for the new apk and to OrglCe for his zip creator.
    Let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: If you have any permission problems, it should be fixed after using lucky patcher to remove signature verification on your phone, as always, this is at own risk.

device-2014-02-02-103604-600x1000.png

21/05/2014: Update to version 1.1. New feature has been added. Signature differs so you can't use the apk to update the old version.

26/05/2014: Version 1.1 should work correctly now.
    I found a solution

+1

Running CM11 here, successfully flash the zip installer, OmniSwitch working properly (side-sweep activation), but I cannot find a way to totally replace the "stock recent app switcher" with OmniSwitch.

I found the implementation on omnirom implementation here: https://github.com/omnirom/android_frameworks_base/commit/13d9f74a72136786a8ddcf3fd02bf07ab2a02073
    And other change here(not merged): https://github.com/omnirom/android_frameworks_base/commit/2fe1f0f24e23d84df1f321a9ded28b3a25256f22

But you need recompile frameworks_base of your rom with this modifications.

** EDIT **

Looking in links above we can see how ominirom system call ominiswitch overlay. Thinking that I did a app that call the overlay and you can use in a custom gesture of your launcher.

The unique problem for this solution is when I call the app its go to home(Like press the home button) and afterbthat call the overlay.

If can help improve this alternitive, help me on github: https://github.com/augustoicaro/Toggle-OmniSwitch

Note: Its only work if you really use omniswitch app(org.omnirom.omniswitch)
    Determination pays off, and this app is worth every curse word I have yelled because of not being able to kill apps with it for a long time now...

OK folks, I got it to install AND kill ALL apps, individual, and all except focused app.
    Not sure how, but here's what I did:

This is on note5 tw rom, 5.1.1 when previously I couldn't kill any apps whatsoever with omni. All it did was swipe away, and then reappear.

What I did was use an updated, flashable zip created by temasek for his cm12 room back in the day. But I used to flash the zip, and it wouldn't work on some roms like this one.
    So this time I copied the 'OmniSwitch' folder from this (attached below -step one) zip to system/priv-app and gave the folder 755 permissions and the app OmniSwitch.apk, 644 perms.

THEN...I copied this (attached below -step two) newer apk version to the same folder to overwrite the previous.
    Reboot.
    Open OmniSwitch in app drawer, enable the slider tab to turn it on...then set to boot and configure.

Hope it works for you. I'm not 100% on what I did different to make it work beside not flashing the zip this time.

the additional apk I provide, I have always copied over after I flashed the zip because it's a newer version, but still labeled 1.1 [not sure why they're both 1.1 but the apk is indeed a fixed newer version and it fixes the 'change icon size' fc.
    Ymmv
    [emoji14] [emoji106] [emoji111]

Step one: OmniSwitch flashable made by temasek originally for cm12.1, and also thanks to the omnirom team for a BRILLIANT task switching/app drawer. Best of its kind.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62sm8wec7fgRkktX3RKV29QY0k/view?usp=docslist_api

Step two: Newer OmniSwitch apk. Featuring vertical app tiles and icons, and fixes the fc when trying to change icon size.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62sm8wec7fgOFNFc1lWWU13eGs/view?usp=docslist_api

I love to hear if it works for anyone, and also if anyone knows what actually allowed it to work, please let me know. I'm very curious [emoji12]
    If you want to hit thanks, I won't be mad at ya. If you don't want to, I still won't be mad at ya. Just sad. [emoji22] [emoji56]
    LOL, just playin, enjoy it if it works dudes and ladies.

sent from sm-n920t
    omni switch for cm12.1

New omni switch from omni lollipop 5.1 build working on cm12.1(only for android 5.1 for android ver 5.0 look below)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/7qaiddmbam4ndve/omni5.1.zip
    tested on CyanogenMOD 12.1 [UNOFFICIAL] by CraZY_BoY
    http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/development/wip-cyanogenmod-12-1-t3063266

Uninstall previous build before install the new one and if you need only the app you can find it inside the zip file

for cm12 you can use this (try this for lollipop version 5.0 5.0.1 or 5.0.2)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58911895
    I know this is an old thread, but I made a flashable zip for someone, so thought I'd share here. No need to mess with file explorers or changing permissions etc.... one and done.
    Working on CM13
    Here is link to zip.... https://kozmo21.stackstorage.com/index.php/s/is1DbHiEFtxE6ZZ