Whoa! Got mine for 199 without contract!

Search This thread

domin8

Jun 28, 2010
San Diego (619)
So i am not up for upgrade until march 2012 but i decided to check and see what the OTD price was thru att for the atrix on my account. I pulled it up, and oddly enough it showed 199!

I went through the checkout process, but it wouldnt fully process the final checkout because i have unlimited data and i wouldnt pick a new data plan. Instead, i printed out my cart showing the final price of 199 + tax and took it into our local ATT store.

Talked to the manager there and he said he'd grandfather my data plan in, AND honor the price given on the website! so i'm getting my atrix tuesday morning for 199 even tho i just used my upgrade for my captivate in july!

SO STOKED!

grave101

Aug 21, 2010
How did you manage to get it for that price online? I'm in the same boat as you, I upgraded to my captivate in august and i'm not due for upgrade until 2012

Arcadia310

Aug 13, 2010
Holy cow. Is there any way this is possible if you aren't a current AT&T customer? Lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

waltah!

May 29, 2009
When they pay $500 for a phone it doesn't make sense for them to sell it for $200 without contract. It would never be able to happen in my store and my manager is extrememely lenient.

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
So i am not up for upgrade until march 2012 but i decided to check and see what the OTD price was thru att for the atrix on my account. I pulled it up, and oddly enough it showed 199!

I went through the checkout process, but it wouldnt fully process the final checkout because i have unlimited data and i wouldnt pick a new data plan. Instead, i printed out my cart showing the final price of 199 + tax and took it into our local ATT store.

Talked to the manager there and he said he'd grandfather my data plan in, AND honor the price given on the website! so i'm getting my atrix tuesday morning for 199 even tho i just used my upgrade for my captivate in july!

SO STOKED!

Wtf.........

UTZorro

Jun 27, 2007
Well, luckily with AT&T no phone of mine has ever really been "on a contract"... When I called the cancellation dept to preorder my Atrix....errr.... "switch to Verizon or Sprint".... They told me if I stayed, they'd cancel the last 10 months of my contract if i signed a new 2 year contract...and they gave me the Atrix for $174.99 with free overnight and no upgrade fee.... This is the same trick I pulled when I upgraded my phone last time 1 year into my 2 year contract! In other words, their "contract" is really BS if you talk to the right person in the cancellation dept who will keep throwing it out the window to keep you as a customer.

lost2030

Jul 27, 2010
Miami
Well, luckily with AT&T no phone of mine has ever really been "on a contract"... When I called the cancellation dept to preorder my Atrix....errr.... "switch to Verizon or Sprint".... They told me if I stayed, they'd cancel the last 10 months of my contract if i signed a new 2 year contract...and they gave me the Atrix for $174.99 with free overnight and no upgrade fee.... This is the same trick I pulled when I upgraded my phone last time 1 year into my 2 year contract! In other words, their "contract" is really BS if you talk to the right person in the cancellation dept who will keep throwing it out the window to keep you as a customer.

Nice!! Ive never tried that thinking they might go ahead and just cancel my service instead of giving me what I really want lol

UTZorro

Jun 27, 2007
Don't worry about having that happen. The goal of their "cancellation dept" is to do just the opposite. It should be named the "retention dept"! The first thing the guy told me on the phone (which was kinda cheesy) was "I'm superman and I have superpowers to keep you a satisfied AT&T customer!" And he did indeed have the superpower to throw my existing contract out the window and alter the presale price of the Atrix. Just call up, act dissatisfied with your current phone...ask how much your termination fee is...point out that it's cheaper for you to switch carriers than pay full price for the phone... then you're on your way to a new cheap phone! :-D

Reactions: lost2030

UTZorro

Jun 27, 2007
Nice!! Ive never tried that thinking they might go ahead and just cancel my service instead of giving me what I really want lol

Don't worry about having that happen. The goal of their "cancellation dept" is to do just the opposite. It should be named the "retention dept"! The first thing the guy told me on the phone (which was kinda cheesy) was "I'm superman and I have superpowers to keep you a satisfied AT&T customer!" And he did indeed have the superpower to throw my existing contract out the window and alter the presale price of the Atrix. Just call up, act dissatisfied with your current phone...ask how much your termination fee is...point out that it's cheaper for you to switch carriers than pay full price for the phone... then you're on your way to a new cheap phone! :-D

domin8

Jun 28, 2010
San Diego (619)
How did you manage to get it for that price online? I'm in the same boat as you, I upgraded to my captivate in august and i'm not due for upgrade until 2012

If this is true, can you provide a few more details? I would also love to give this a shot.

honestly all i did was log into my account on ATT, click the line i wanted to upgrade, and picked the atrix. it showed 199 instead of 499 even though my page said 'i am eligible to take advantage of their no commitment pricing until 2012'

i just noticed right now when i tried logging back into my ATT account i got this message:
We are in the process of enhancing our online experience and it is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience; if you need immediate assistance, please contact customer service at:

so maybe it was a fluke or something? but i had printed out the confirmation pricing page and stuff and they are going to match it at the store since i wanted to keep my unlimited data package.

im sorry i cant provide more details, i dont really know how i managed this i'm just sharing my excitement :)

jackxlj

Jul 17, 2007
i ordered mine on the website out of contract,have my receipts showing the 199 price,lol. it was a flaw in the preorder website for the phone,it was because of the dock price, a att rep just reported to me. they called me and told me they would be canceling my order and redoing it at the full price,as it was an error, i told them to cancel my contract while they were at it,if they weren't going to honor a price i agreed to pay, they then agreed to let me buy the phones at the 199.99 price

lost2030

Jul 27, 2010
Miami
i ordered mine on the website out of contract,have my receipts showing the 199 price,lol. it was a flaw in the preorder website for the phone,it was because of the dock price, a att rep just reported to me. they called me and told me they would be canceling my order and redoing it at the full price,as it was an error, i told them to cancel my contract while they were at it,if they weren't going to honor a price i agreed to pay, they then agreed to let me buy the phones at the 199.99 price

Lol!! I guess that proves that "the customer is always right."

falconeight

Nov 10, 2010
Colorado Springs
I did almost the same thing. I bought the inspire for 99 on a new service contract. I then went online 3 days later to see what the price of the atrix would be without contract. When I got to check out it was $199. The phone is now in the hands of fedex for delivery tomorrow.

[DT]

Dec 18, 2006
Vilano Beach, FL
Same here. Bought a Captivate back in July '10, iPhone 4 in Nov '10, my line (the Captivate) was only ~7 months into my current 2 year contract.

Last Wed (the 16th) went through the normal process, added the phone as an "upgrade" for me, went in the cart for $199, changed (again, right online) from the $30 Unlimited Data to $30 Unlimited Data w/ HSPA+

I *suspect* this was simply an early upgrade allowance (plus pre-order discount), and I'll be into a brand new 2 year contract.

Phone is on the FedEx truck due to be delivered today (in the next hour or so).

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.