Another Cracked Screen

Search This thread

scopefield

Nov 19, 2013
Joined the club this morning unfortunately. My touch screen still works, so like many, I just have to replace the front part.

I've read this thread almost in its entirety, but nobody mentions having any success. Has anybody tried replacing the screen themselves? Does anybody know if you can use a blowdryer instead of a heat gun?

Also, where are most people buying replacements? I see the one from China, but I'm a little wary of those so considering this: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617614

I've replaced laptop and mobile screens in the past (back in the HTC 8525 days), but not sure if this is out of skill-set. Would really appreciate some input.

filchi756

Sep 29, 2010
Tarlac city
Joined the club this morning unfortunately. My touch screen still works, so like many, I just have to replace the front part.

I've read this thread almost in its entirety, but nobody mentions having any success. Has anybody tried replacing the screen themselves? Does anybody know if you can use a blowdryer instead of a heat gun?

Also, where are most people buying replacements? I see the one from China, but I'm a little wary of those so considering this: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617614

I've replaced laptop and mobile screens in the past (back in the HTC 8525 days), but not sure if this is out of skill-set. Would really appreciate some input.

There is a video guide on youtube on disassembling the tablet and replacing the front panel. Its by LE55ONS I think is the uploader .Check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: scopefield

scopefield

Nov 19, 2013
There is a video guide on youtube on disassembling the tablet and replacing the front panel. Its by LE55ONS I think is the uploader .Check it out.
His seems to be for the regular 10.1, not 2014. Same process?

Edit: Realized I foolishly posted in the wrong board. Reported the post.

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I recommend you should not try to do this yourself but instead send it to a prof.service. you could find them on Ebay. You should only do it yourself if you replace the whole screen assembly.

scopefield

Nov 19, 2013
I recommend you should not try to do this yourself but instead send it to a prof.service. you could find them on Ebay. You should only do it yourself if you replace the whole screen assembly.
How hard is it? I bought the screen for 40 on eBay (US) and am close to buying the materials (heat gun, replacement kits, pry, etc.) I've seen some tutorials on YouTube and just seems to take some patience and perseverance?

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
How hard is it? I bought the screen for 40 on eBay (US) and am close to buying the materials (heat gun, replacement kits, pry, etc.) I've seen some tutorials on YouTube and just seems to take some patience and perseverance?
Someone did replaced the digitizer and the screen didnt worked. So good luck.
I also did cracked mine screen, but I took it to service repair and costed me 285US.
Only positive, is the new replacement screen doesnt have backlight bleeding like mine old one had and was very annoying as hell.
This is first ever big LCD screen that doesnt have any backlight bleeding of all i owned.

scopefield

Nov 19, 2013
Someone did replaced the digitizer and the screen didnt worked. So good luck.
I also did cracked mine screen, but I took it to service repair and costed me 285US.
Only positive, is the new replacement screen doesnt have backlight bleeding like mine old one had and was very annoying as hell.
This is first ever big LCD screen that doesnt have any backlight bleeding of all i owned.
That's way out of my range unfortunately. What are these repair people doing that we can't do?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Any other last thoughts? Should be getting my replacement screen this week.

If you don't know I tell you, the screen is glued to the digitizer with UV glue and you need a special glue machine to do that. Any other methods like tape, glue strings, glue kits ...what ever, will not work the same way, air and dirt will get in between and you will see mark and bubble all over the screen in the long run, plus the touch/Spen may not even work right any more...So good luck. It's may cost you more but, if you went through all the headache and at the end you still have to buy an assembly...mute point and even cost you more...

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
That's way out of my range unfortunately. What are these repair people doing that we can't do?
They dont change the digitizer only and whole LCD+digitizer frame. None of repair service would change just the digitizer, too much work and very difficult to do it.
Repair cost only 50US and lcd+digitizer frame cost 235US. Looking around the web, its cost around 210SUS LCD + digitizer frame.
After I read that someone failed to replace only the digitizer, since they are glued together and decided take it to repair service instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.