Cannot root... CWR: repeatedly attempted supersu and superuser

Search This thread

branded

Jul 6, 2008
Rutherford, NJ
Hello,

I've unlocked the bootloader on my One, then proceeded to install supersu via zip through clockworkmod recovery.

I rebooted, attempted to gain root access, and was unable to.

I then rebooted into clockworkmod recovery and attempted to install superuser from this thread, rebooted and was unable to gain root. I then installed supersu from the same thread, and was unable to gain root.

Lastly, I attempted to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache in effort, and still I am not able to gain root.

I'm unsure exactly what to do from here on out, as the process is truly very simple, but just not working.

Should I flash an official recovery and start over?

Thanks,

Matt

FireGuy2014

Feb 15, 2014
I used twrp recovery a few days ago when I rooted. try to flash latest version of twrp through adb and wipe, clear cache,and retry.

If you still have trouble, check out wwjoshdew on youtube. I followed his instructions and rooted/unlocked with no hiccups.

branded

Jul 6, 2008
Rutherford, NJ
Have you opened the su app and updated the binaries?

Thanks for replying quickly.

The state I'm in now is:
- The SuperSu apk is gone.
- Superuser is installed.
- Root Checker, Helium, ES File Explorer's "root explorer" report no root
- Shark reports root (aka starts).
- superuser info reports `su` 3.2.18
- Used ES File Explorer to verify presence of `/system/bin/su`

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Thanks again,

Matt

branded

Jul 6, 2008
Rutherford, NJ
Sure, I will try this, Originally I tried TWRP, but couldn't access my internal storage (don't know why). Attempted sideload and failed, so I install clockwork and was able to install superuser.zip from /sdcard/.

Thanks!

branded

Jul 6, 2008
Rutherford, NJ
Grabbed TWRP 2.3.6.0 from: http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7wls/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7wls.img

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7.img

> REBOOT BOOTLOADER
> BOOTLOADER
> RECOVERY

I then located the SuperSu zip and installed. Now I receive "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Rebooted into recovery and installed SuperUser.

Rebooted the system and attempted to access SuperUser, and it works. Verifies the presence of `/system/bin/su`.

Accessing helium and I don't have root.

So what do I do from here?

(sorry didn't brick my phone)

Last edited:

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Grabbed TWRP 2.3.6.0 from: http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7wls/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7wls.img

Code:

> REBOOT BOOTLOADER
> BOOTLOADER
> RECOVERY

I then located the SuperSu zip and installed. Now I receive "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Rebooted the system and attempted to access SuperUser, and it works. Verifies the presence of `/system/bin/su`.

Get the latest version of SuperSU from here
http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
I would suggest using it as it is updated more often then superuser as far as I know

Reactions: branded

branded

Jul 6, 2008
Rutherford, NJ
Thanks,

I saved the file to my internal storage, restarted in TWRP, installed and erased the caches.

After rebooting... it works! You're the man!

I just got the One and just performed the OTA update the other day, so I am on 4.3. I bet this is what the "problem" was! So the updated SuperSU must be compatible with 4.3.

Thanks again!

Matt

Reactions: Sloth

dtracycar

Feb 8, 2012
Lake Stevens
So I was having the same problem. I got TWRP recovery installed. I copied the SuperSU zip file to the root, but now when I try to install the SuperSU zip file, I don't see it!

Devilish_Angel

Nov 15, 2012
It doesn't. I'm baffled, I don't even know what its showing. Attached is a screen shot of the sdcard directory. When I navigate to the sdcard in recovery, it doesn't show anything like that. It has 6 folders, audio, GPU, mms, musicchannel, TWRP, and zchgd. When I browse my phone folders, I can't find any of those! OMG help.

... you might want to install TWRP 2.6.3.0.

Get it from here http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7wls/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7wls.img

this is the .img file so you ought to flash it from fastboot ...

Last edited:

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks,

I saved the file to my internal storage, restarted in TWRP, installed and erased the caches.

I just got the One and just performed the OTA update the other day, so I am on 4.3. I bet this is what the "problem" was! So the updated SuperSU must be compatible with 4.3.

Thanks again!

Matt

4.3 was your problem. You needed to use a different SuperSU and this is the case with anyone else who wants to root 4.3 or 4.4. I believe I used SuperSU v1.65. Glad you got it working!

dtracycar

Feb 8, 2012
Lake Stevens
mHamers since

Ok, we're making progress! I installed the new TWRP recovery. Then I was able to find the SU zip file and flash it from there. All signs pointed to it working fine! There were no errors that I could see. Rebooted. Tried to open Titanium Backup and it hangs up with a message saying Asking for root rights... I do not find SuperSU anywhere in my apps tray. You've been super helpful so far! Now what?

Devilish_Angel

Nov 15, 2012

Ok, we're making progress! I installed the new TWRP recovery. Then I was able to find the SU zip file and flash it from there. All signs pointed to it working fine! There were no errors that I could see. Rebooted. Tried to open Titanium Backup and it hangs up with a message saying Asking for root rights... I do not find SuperSU anywhere in my apps tray. You've been super helpful so far! Now what?

... might be a bad SU file. download from here and flash from recovery

http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How about another try on TWRP 2.6.3.0 recovery?

Code:

> REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    > BOOTLOADER
    > RECOVERY

Get the latest version of SuperSU from here
    http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
    I would suggest using it as it is updated more often then superuser as far as I know
    Thanks,

Thanks again!

Matt