[Q] Looking to Root S3

Search This thread

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Sorry, don't know if I am in the right place or not...

I have a Sprint Samsung S3 that I would like to root. I have never done this before, but I consider myself sorta "tech-savy". I have a few questions...

1. My phone has the OTA 4.4.2 update. Is it even possible? This website says it is (Can't post a link but its from editandroid dot com. If you do a google search of ROOT SPRINT S3 with 4.4.2, it will show up) If not, where can I find a good, safe root (rom)? I don't need all the thrills and such unless its really cool. I really just want a regular custom rom that looks like the stock 4.4.2 rom.

2. Can you un-root back to stock if you want to after you root this phone so if you need to have it warrantied, etc??

I apologize if this has been answered, but everything I have come across doesn't make really much sense (I am tech-savy but I also need it in plain English sometimes lol). I have the ability to do voice free voice chat through a teamspeak server that we use for our clan if someone would be willing to help me through this :))

Last edited:

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
1 it certainly is possible. Actually, easy. There are many different ways to root, so your best bet is to read though s3 general and s3 questions and answers posts, then pick how you want to go about it. There are also videos on YouTube.

2 on 4.4.2 once you trip Knox (by installing a custom recovery) you cannot "un-trip" it. So, your warranty will be void. But to many here (myself included) it's not that big of any issue...

*edit* you can find roms under s3 Android development. A lot of them will have root on install (so you won't need to root separately). Be sure to check out the first post on each rom. That's where you'll find out what features it has...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
1 it certainly is possible. Actually, easy. There are many different ways to root, so your best bet is to read though s3 general and s3 questions and answers posts, then pick how you want to go about it. There are also videos on YouTube.

2 on 4.4.2 once you trip Knox (by installing a custom recovery) you cannot "un-trip" it. So, your warranty will be void. But to many here (myself included) it's not that big of any issue...

*edit* you can find roms under s3 Android development. A lot of them will have root on install (so you won't need to root separately). Be sure to check out the first post on each rom. That's where you'll find out what features it has...

Thank you for the information.

A couple more questions:

1. Can I back up my phone so if I want to revert back to stock ROM if I ever want to (Regardless of tripping KNOX)?
If so, how and what should I use?

2. Is there a STOCK ROM (ROOTED) out there? I really want it to be stable unless there is some cool "can't live without" feature of another ROM. I really just want root access for Foxfi mainly, but having root for other things would be nice as well (seeing stuff that should be available like partial wakelocks, etc)

3. Is rooting the phone with a non-stock ROM safe? (This is where my knowledge of the tech goes out the window). I mean I don't want some ROM on my phone that is going to be sending my information to some dude in india to steal.

4. I have noticed that there are several programs to put the rom on the phone, like Odin v3.07, for example. What is this program? Can any of these programs put any ROM on or does it have to be specific to the ROM you want to use? There there is also the Recovery, and then the ROM, correct? So 3 total programs? Or is the recovery built into the ROM? The recovery is basically the program you get when you hold Vol up, home and Power until it boots right? I noticed you talked about programs that root and ROM all in one step. Not sure of what you mean...

5. Will this "unlock" my phone? (Make it multiple carrier ready)

(Sorry, bear with me. I am completely new to the phone rooting tech and terminology... :eek:)

I ask if someone would be gracious enough to walk me through this or help my find what I am looking for using my teamspeak server...:D. It doesn't cost anything to download. My computer tech guy I converse with has no idea about phones. I already asked him to walk me through it. He said he's unlocked phones but never had the need to try and root one...:)

Sorry for being a noob when it comes to this.

Last edited:

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

A couple more questions:

1. Can I back up my phone so if I want to revert back to stock ROM if I ever want to (Regardless of tripping KNOX)?

2. Is there a STOCK ROM (ROOTED) out there? I really want it to be stable unless there is some cool "can't live without" feature of another ROM. I really just want root access for Foxfi mainly, but having root for other things would be nice as well (seeing stuff that should be available like partial wakelocks, etc)

3. Is rooting the phone with a non-stock ROM safe? (This is where my knowledge of the tech goes out the window). I mean I don't want some ROM on my phone that is going to be sending my information to some dude in india to steal.

4. I have noticed that there are several programs to put the rom on the phone, like Odin v3.07, for example. What is this program? Can any of these programs put any ROM on or does it have to be specific to the ROM you want to use? There there is also the Recovery, and then the ROM, correct? So 3 total programs? Or is the recovery built into the ROM? The recovery is basically the program you get when you hold Vol up, home and Power until it boots right? I noticed you talked about programs that root and ROM all in one step. Not sure of what you mean...

(Sorry, bear with me. I am completely new to the phone rooting tech and terminology... :eek:)

I ask if someone would be gracious enough to walk me through this or help my find what I am looking for using my teamspeak server...:D. It doesn't cost anything to download. My computer tech guy I converse with has no idea about phones. I already asked him to walk me through it. He said he's unlocked phones but never had the need to try and root one...:)

im just gonna say this there's a hack type thing for WiFi on stock and custom TouchWiz Roms its found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2224083 and you flash the one that is for the Rom you're currently on and you can flash with Philz Recovery <----you can also make the backups with this recovery

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

A couple more questions:

Use PhilZ Touch Recovery to make a nandroid backup. Always recommended to have one or more backups handy and to make a new backup before any major changes.

Yep. In the development (non-original) section. @CNexus' stock rooted Odexed or Deodexed ND8.

Follow @6th_Hokage advice for a built in solution. Better than Foxfi.

Short answer, yes.

Not as short an answer, only as safe as much as you trust the developer of the ROM you choose. I can personally vouch for @CNexus, @bilgerryan, @rwilco12, @moonknightus, @Chadthepathfinder and several themers and various other users.

I've never had any problems with any custom ROM I've used in three different Android phones over the last four years.

4. I have noticed that there are several programs to put the rom on the phone, like Odin v3.07, for example. What is this program?

Odin is for only flashing tar and tar.md5 files to your phone. It has other uses as well. The only ROM it's designed to put on your phone is the stock unrooted one, ND8 being the latest. This will wipe everything in your phone including internal storage.

It is also commonly used to put the phone's first custom recovery on, PhilZ Touch Recovery recommended.

Can any of these programs put any ROM on or does it have to be specific to the ROM you want to use?

A custom recovery can generally put any custom ROM on. Sometimes a newer version of a ROM might require a newer version of a custom recovery in order to either be flashed correctly or be able to backup and restore nandroid backups correctly.

There there is also the Recovery, and then the ROM, correct? So 3 total programs? Or is the recovery built into the ROM?

The recovery isn't usually included in custom ROMs. The original stock unrooted ROM that you would Odin to the phone includes absolutely everything.

The recovery is basically the program you get when you hold Vol up, home and Power until it boots right? I noticed you talked about programs that root and ROM all in one step. Not sure of what you mean...

Yes. Any custom ROM is normally already rooted so if you flash one, there's no need to root before or after. I don't know if he was referring to that or something else that might just confuse you so I'm not going to go into details. ☺

No. Although I think (only limited experience with this so correct me if I'm wrong) only GSM phones really ever need unlocked, or at least phones with user replaceable SIM cards.

I didn't read the previous posts so sorry if I'm repeating something.

1. Find Odin 3.07 or 3.09 either in development (non-original) section or Google for it. Download it on your PC.

2. Find the very latest tar file of PhilZ Touch Recovery in the same section. Download it on your PC.

2b. Download the rooted stock or custom ROM you want on your phone (not your PC). If you're currently using stock TouchWiz 4.4.2, you're fine to try anything. If not, you'll have to either get on stock TouchWiz 4.4.2 first or download anything for TouchWiz 4.3 or older - or a completely custom non-TouchWiz ROM.

3. Launch Odin on your Windows PC.
4. Turn your phone off.

5. Put your phone in Download mode by pressing and holding the DOWN volume and Home buttons at the same time, and also press and hold the power button until you see anything at all on the screen, then let go.

Same as going into recovery but volume down instead of up.

6. Connect the phone to your Windows PC with a reliable, preferably the original USB cable.

7. Might take Windows a minute the first time to load the drivers. When you see in Odin in one of the empty squares at the top something like "COM 5", then you're good to continue.

8. Click the PDA button in Odin and select the PhilZ Touch Recovery tar file you downloaded.

9. If Odin lets you, uncheck the auto restart checkbox.

10. Click Start in Odin. Should only take 10 seconds if that.

11. When Odin says complete, unplug your phone, pop the battery out to turn it off, put it back in, and go into recovery mode (same as Download mode but volume UP instead of down).

12. Use PhilZ Touch Recovery to flash the rooted custom ROM you downloaded.

13. Choose reboot in recovery.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Last edited:

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Thank you very much! Your information was very helpful. It's what I was looking for.

Last question, I hope... :)

Is there a way to keep my apps and stuff like an Ota does or do I lose everything in the process? It's not a big deal, just would be nice not to have to reinstall everything.

There was something else but now I can't remember.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Thank you very much! Your information was very helpful. It's what I was looking for.

Is there a way to keep my apps and stuff like an Ota does or do I lose everything in the process? It's not a big deal, just would be nice not to have to reinstall everything.

well if you use the same Google account if you were to flash another rom the apps you previously had installed including your contacts on that account will reinstall after the initial set up but you will have to re-log in to every app that requires it

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Yep. In the development (non-original) section. @CNexus' stock rooted Odexed or Deodexed ND8.

Could you give me a link as to specifically where I am looking for this forum of ROMS? I can't seem to find it.

And the instructions to the "hack" for wi-fi tethering is confusing to me. Do I download each of those files? Do I have to install a different rom or can it just "fix" my current original ROM? I don't know what all the ND8 or Odexed or DeOdexed stuff means...

Last edited:

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Could you give me a link as to specifically where I am looking for this forum of ROMS? I can't seem to find it.

And the instructions to the "hack" for wi-fi tethering is confusing to me. Do I download each of those files? Do I have to install a different rom or can it just "fix" my current original ROM? I don't know what all the ND8 or Odexed or DeOdexed stuff means...

ND8 is the bootloader for sprint and NDC is the bootloader for Boost/Virgin. Odexed has extra files in the system app/Priv-app like Samsung Camera Odex file and so on.....DeOdexed doesn't have those extra Odex files.....and sorry for the late reply

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Sorry was busy all weekend and still catching up on here.

Are you navigating this forum in Tapatalk, the free XDA only version, or through a Web browser on the phone, or on the PC?

The section you posted this thread in is the Q&A section:

etaze9yn.jpg

If you back up to the main Sprint S3 section:

7evega5a.jpg

And click on Development (non-original), you'll find what you need:

mudeharu.jpg

If you are completely stock, you'll be Odexed and want the Odexed version of the ND8 hotspot mod. You'll need to flash it from a custom recovery, preferably the very latest PhilZ Touch Recovery.

v2.0 flashable version now posted near the bottom of the first post of v2.0 FLASHABLE-3Minit 1000+ Batteries for Conquest:Singularity v8 & v1.0 for NDC/ND8..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors, also available through the 3Minit Battery Mod, #22 in the Users folder

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v8.4, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Sorry was busy all weekend and still catching up on here.

Are you navigating this forum in Tapatalk, the free XDA only version, or through a Web browser on the phone, or on the PC?

The section you posted this thread in is the Q&A section:

etaze9yn.jpg

If you back up to the main Sprint S3 section:

7evega5a.jpg

And click on Development (non-original), you'll find what you need:

mudeharu.jpg

If you are completely stock, you'll be Odexed and want the Odexed version of the ND8 hotspot mod. You'll need to flash it from a custom recovery, preferably the very latest PhilZ Touch Recovery.

v2.0 flashable version now posted near the bottom of the first post of v2.0 FLASHABLE-3Minit 1000+ Batteries for Conquest:Singularity v8 & v1.0 for NDC/ND8..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors, also available through the 3Minit Battery Mod, #22 in the Users folder

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v8.4, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

I am using my PC.

I will check into the wi-fi thing. Thank you!

Also, though, I am one of the sprint users suffering from the "Android System" using insane amounts of battery. I have checked other carriers S3's and none of them seem to suffer like mine (my mother's S3 on verizon is at 66% bat with 1 day and 13 hours on when I checked). I am hoping a custom rom fixes this. I don't know what they did, but its horrid. I used to be able to get almost 12 hours out of the battery when I was at work (and using it alot). Now I am lucky if I get 3 hours out of it at work (same usage). I replaced the battery thinking it was that and it wasn't... It really sucks...:mad:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I am using my PC.

I will check into the wi-fi thing. Thank you!

Also, though, I am one of the sprint users suffering from the "Android System" using insane amounts of battery. I have checked other carriers S3's and none of them seem to suffer like mine (my mother's S3 on verizon is at 66% bat with 1 day and 13 hours on when I checked). I am hoping a custom rom fixes this. I don't know what they did, but its horrid. I used to be able to get almost 12 hours out of the battery when I was at work (and using it alot). Now I am lucky if I get 3 hours out of it at work (same usage). I replaced the battery thinking it was that and it wasn't... It really sucks...:mad:

You might try a nice, light ROM like the one I'm using, listed at the bottom of my signature.

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Ok,

I think I am ready to do this this weekend or the next...

One last thing before I do. Nandroid backup... Can I create a nandroid backup of the way my phone is now, untouched, stock, not rooted? From what I have googled, it appears your phone needs to be rooted to give nandroid the permissions it needs to get a full back up.

If I can do a backup of the phone as it is now (STOCK), what are the steps and where do I find Nandroid backup?

Last edited:

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
UPDATE

I followed your steps you listed. I got odin 3.07 (3.09 did not have a PDA button). Installed Philz Touch recovery. Booted to recovery. Made a backup of my current stock rom. Selected Power options and shutdown so I could copy my backup off the ExtSD. When I selected power down, it asked to install SuperUser, I selected yes. It powered down. Copied data off SD card. Rebooted. Flashed the STOCK ROOTED 4.4 rom you showed me. Selected reboot to recovery. Nothing seemed to happen. Selected reboot system and it loaded back to my old system with all my old apps in place and background and such. Did it work or do I still have the ORIGINAL stock ROM and not the downloaded one?

Apps are not asking for SU rights, so I assume that part came from the recovery. For apps that I need to have SU rights, this is perfect. If it didn't put the downloaded ROM on my phone then I assume I could just download that Wi-Fi workaround for ODEXED version, flash and be OK? If so, do I use Odin or just dump the file on my phone and use recovery to flash it using the "Flash ZIP" function?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I followed your steps you listed. I got odin 3.07 (3.09 did not have a PDA button). Installed Philz Touch recovery. Booted to recovery. Made a backup of my current stock rom. Selected Power options and shutdown so I could copy my backup off the ExtSD. When I selected power down, it asked to install SuperUser, I selected yes. It powered down. Copied data off SD card. Rebooted. Flashed the STOCK ROOTED 4.4 rom you showed me. Selected reboot to recovery. Nothing seemed to happen. Selected reboot system and it loaded back to my old system with all my old apps in place and background and such. Did it work or do I still have the ORIGINAL stock ROM and not the downloaded one?

I'm not going to speculate. See what I say about rooting two quotes below.

Apps are not asking for SU rights, so I assume that part came from the recovery.

Apps will only ask for root access if they require root to work. Since you were previously unrooted, I'm guessing you didn't install any apps that do, although you could have, they just wouldn't have worked.

For apps that I need to have SU rights, this is perfect. If it didn't put the downloaded ROM on my phone then I assume I could just download that Wi-Fi workaround for ODEXED version, flash and be OK?

Whether you merely used PhilZ option to root your existing stock ROM or flashed the rooted stock ROM, you'd get the same thing. They're both completely stock besides the root.

Either way, as long as you do have root access and the rooted stock ROM you downloaded was the Odexed one, then yes.

If so, do I use Odin or just dump the file on my phone and use recovery to flash it using the "Flash ZIP" function?

Odin is only for flashing tar and tar.md5 files, you can't use it to move any files to the phone. Just download the Odexed version of the ND8 hotspot mod on your phone, verify the download MD5 hash matches, and use PhilZ to flash the hotspot mod zip file. Launch the hotspot through the native interface and give it permanent root rights and you'll be set. Of course you can set specifics for the hotspot like what you want the SSID, encryption and password to be.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

BLznFuN

Aug 13, 2014
Sorry, meant some of the apps that require root ARE asking, not NOT asking...:) Ok, so in theory that's all I really wanted, so I don't need to flash the custom rom. Tomorrow I will download the odexed version of that mod and crack it..

Thank you so much for your help....:)

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, meant some of the apps that require root ARE asking, not NOT asking...:) Ok, so in theory that's all I really wanted, so I don't need to flash the custom rom. Tomorrow I will download the odexed version of that mod and crack it..

Thank you so much for your help....:)

You're very welcome! For future reference I would guess that you "dirty flashed" the rooted Odexed stock ROM. But as you had already rooted the stock ROM you were running by answering yes to PhilZ question when you rebooted to recovery from PhilZ if you wanted to root your ROM, and both ROMs are 100% identical after that, there was absolutely zero harm, zero faul.

By your description, what you didn't do and is normally required or preferred is to wipe your phone before flashing a ROM. There's a wipe section in PhilZ main menu and in there you should (not now) wipe for new ROM install.

Then your settings and apps wouldn't have been retained, but you did exactly right except you didn't even have to flash anything since you rooted with PhilZ already.

I just didn't want to confuse things previously.

As you said, you are absolutely good to go now, so I'm glad.

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well if you use the same Google account if you were to flash another rom the apps you previously had installed including your contacts on that account will reinstall after the initial set up but you will have to re-log in to every app that requires it

A couple more questions:

Use PhilZ Touch Recovery to make a nandroid backup. Always recommended to have one or more backups handy and to make a new backup before any major changes.

Short answer, yes.

Not as short an answer, only as safe as much as you trust the developer of the ROM you choose. I can personally vouch for @CNexus, @bilgerryan, @rwilco12, @moonknightus, @Chadthepathfinder and several themers and various other users.

I've never had any problems with any custom ROM I've used in three different Android phones over the last four years.

4. I have noticed that there are several programs to put the rom on the phone, like Odin v3.07, for example. What is this program?

Odin is for only flashing tar and tar.md5 files to your phone. It has other uses as well. The only ROM it's designed to put on your phone is the stock unrooted one, ND8 being the latest. This will wipe everything in your phone including internal storage.

It is also commonly used to put the phone's first custom recovery on, PhilZ Touch Recovery recommended.

Can any of these programs put any ROM on or does it have to be specific to the ROM you want to use?

A custom recovery can generally put any custom ROM on. Sometimes a newer version of a ROM might require a newer version of a custom recovery in order to either be flashed correctly or be able to backup and restore nandroid backups correctly.

There there is also the Recovery, and then the ROM, correct? So 3 total programs? Or is the recovery built into the ROM?

The recovery isn't usually included in custom ROMs. The original stock unrooted ROM that you would Odin to the phone includes absolutely everything.

The recovery is basically the program you get when you hold Vol up, home and Power until it boots right? I noticed you talked about programs that root and ROM all in one step. Not sure of what you mean...

Yes. Any custom ROM is normally already rooted so if you flash one, there's no need to root before or after. I don't know if he was referring to that or something else that might just confuse you so I'm not going to go into details. ☺

No. Although I think (only limited experience with this so correct me if I'm wrong) only GSM phones really ever need unlocked, or at least phones with user replaceable SIM cards.

I didn't read the previous posts so sorry if I'm repeating something.

1. Find Odin 3.07 or 3.09 either in development (non-original) section or Google for it. Download it on your PC.

2. Find the very latest tar file of PhilZ Touch Recovery in the same section. Download it on your PC.

2b. Download the rooted stock or custom ROM you want on your phone (not your PC). If you're currently using stock TouchWiz 4.4.2, you're fine to try anything. If not, you'll have to either get on stock TouchWiz 4.4.2 first or download anything for TouchWiz 4.3 or older - or a completely custom non-TouchWiz ROM.

3. Launch Odin on your Windows PC.
    4. Turn your phone off.

5. Put your phone in Download mode by pressing and holding the DOWN volume and Home buttons at the same time, and also press and hold the power button until you see anything at all on the screen, then let go.

Same as going into recovery but volume down instead of up.

6. Connect the phone to your Windows PC with a reliable, preferably the original USB cable.

7. Might take Windows a minute the first time to load the drivers. When you see in Odin in one of the empty squares at the top something like "COM 5", then you're good to continue.

8. Click the PDA button in Odin and select the PhilZ Touch Recovery tar file you downloaded.

9. If Odin lets you, uncheck the auto restart checkbox.

10. Click Start in Odin. Should only take 10 seconds if that.

11. When Odin says complete, unplug your phone, pop the battery out to turn it off, put it back in, and go into recovery mode (same as Download mode but volume UP instead of down).

12. Use PhilZ Touch Recovery to flash the rooted custom ROM you downloaded.

13. Choose reboot in recovery.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

A couple more questions:

im just gonna say this there's a hack type thing for WiFi on stock and custom TouchWiz Roms its found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2224083 and you flash the one that is for the Rom you're currently on and you can flash with Philz Recovery <----you can also make the backups with this recovery

ND8 is the bootloader for sprint and NDC is the bootloader for Boost/Virgin. Odexed has extra files in the system app/Priv-app like Samsung Camera Odex file and so on.....DeOdexed doesn't have those extra Odex files.....and sorry for the late reply